Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

37 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

The M6 was closed today at Stafford.

Took me 5 hours to drive from Wigan to Northampton. 

Everyone was diverted through Stoke and it was an absolute nightmare. 

And why do some people have a deathwish by doing about 90 down the M1, in pouring rain, when it's dark?

Drive to the road conditions.

And it especially does my head in when people drive at 90 in pouring rain, in the dark, 2 weeks before Christmas.

Death and serious injuries are bad enough any time of year, but I think it's worse when it's at Christmas.  I wish people would take a little extra care this time of the year.

23 minutes ago, Parafox said:

You're correct:

"DRLs were only a legal requirement to be fitted to vehicles type approved from Feb 2012 onwards. If the car was type approved before this date, then you can just switch them off no problem".

In subsequent legislation, DRL's now have to include rear lights.

On the subject of vehicle lighting, why is it that I see so many relatively modern vehicles driving in dusk or at night without any lights on. Don't modern cars have auto lighting? Although, this can be disabled whilst leaving dash lights on, so I guess that's why.

I'd have thought most do now.

I know though that there are people that exist that still insist on turning their lights on manually even when automatic lights are fitted, because one used to give me a lift home.

Not sure what his policy was on automatic wipers.

He'd never used the cruise control his car had, either

Edited by Bellend Sebastian
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'd have thought most do now.

I know though that there are people that exist that still insist on turning their lights on manually even when automatic lights are fitted, because one used to give me a lift home.

Not sure what his policy was on automatic wipers.

He'd never used the cruise control his car had, either

His (and those like him) attitude to driving is something I can't understand but then maybe those of us that have driven as part of our job have a different and accepting view of the modern vehicle and the changes in driving.

Driving has been part of my life in many different ways from the normal car, to blue lights and HGV's. As a result, awareness, and, dare I say skill and experience, have always been key to my driving. Which is why so many on the road really get my back up. 

We all make mistakes and that's expected. But those who get in their car and just go into autopilot and become oblivious to what's happening around them... 

We've all encountered them and I dare say there's many on this forum that are of that ilk, but who would ever admit to being a bad driver? Not you, not me. It's the other idiot's fault.

On 07/12/2023 at 15:46, Daggers said:

Depends on the road I guess.

Sometimes when the A14 has been blocked sat-navs send idiots along the b-roads near us. They drive like they’re still on a dual carriageway. Then they meet me doing 30-40 and get angry…but I know there’s muntjac jumping out of every other hedgerow and prefer not to have to buy a new wing and clean blood from the windscreen. One road is also covered in deep potholes now. At 40 you can stop if a car comes the other way, at 60 you’ll be smashing into it to avoid the hole or needing to replace pats of the suspension and a wheel.

Everyone’s in such a hurry these days.

TLDR

Following a drunk driver late this afternoon.  The usual veer to the left, correct by veering to the right, back left etc.  Got down to the Foxhunter roundabout and gave a wide berth considering they took the far right hander up towards Fosse Park from Whetstone and then proceeded to straddle two lanes up towards Fosse Park.  Crazy.

8 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Following a drunk driver late this afternoon.  The usual veer to the left, correct by veering to the right, back left etc.  Got down to the Foxhunter roundabout and gave a wide berth considering they took the far right hander up towards Fosse Park from Whetstone and then proceeded to straddle two lanes up towards Fosse Park.  Crazy.

I've often thought that and then it transpires that they were texting. 

8 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I followed someone on the way to work the other day I'm convinced was one, and was kicking myself that I didn't realise quicker and take their registration number down. If it had been later in the day I'd probably have clocked it sooner.

Driving weirdly slowly (including going into right lane of dual carriageway for no reason and holding everyone up), taking AGES to respond to the lights changing and seemingly concentrating much more on their cigarette than anything else

To most of the drivers in and around Leicester. .  .

Those white broken line thing's on roads ,carriageways,  traffic islands etc ,are called lanes.

Fundamentally the idea of these  ' lanes ' is to ( apart from changing lane or overtaking) drive with all of the wheels on your vehicle wholly between  them , not two wheels  in one lane and the other  two in the adjacent  one .

Thank you in anticipation 

• Like 3

On 10/12/2023 at 22:29, Collymore said:

Anyone else struggle with seeing/working out the lanes coming down Soar Valley way to the M69 and M1 roundabout? In the dark and wet I just point my car and hope, could do with a repaint and some better reflection. ..

Not soar valley way but edgeware road in London a few years ago. I got a ticket for entering a bus lane that was invisible as it was dark, chucking it down and with practically a river running down the road due to blocked drains. I appealed but was turned down. I then sent an email with their own camera shot evidence of my car in their supposed bus lane and requested they show clearly where the line was visible indicating the bus lane (in any case it could not have been more than a tyres width encroaching due to the distance from the kerb), with the caveat that i would see them in court if not.

Lo and behold, ticket rescinded and within a week shiny new white lines painted

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kingcarr21 said:

People who cant understand which lane goes where on The Nook Roundabout in Anstey. It really isn't that difficult to work out

Don't get me started on this. Especially coming from Stadon Road.

Left lane is straight on and left.

Right lane is right for BRADGATE ROAD. 

2+2=5 for most drivers.

11 minutes ago, adam1 said:

2+2=5 for most drivers.

One of the smallest roundabouts to have traffic signals. 

Lorry driver on M1 , starts indicating to come into my lane whilst I’m sandwiched between other vehicles then starts going mental at me because I didn’t move. 
Some Lorry drivers seem to think as soon as they indicate you should move out of the way immediately because they are bigger I guess. 
rant over 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, adam1 said:

2+2=5 for most drivers.

FINALLY

Somebody who actually understands the most basic of road markings. I had some little knob tell me to F Off when i told him he was in the wrong lane trying to force his way in. 

We were both next to each other. I wound my window down

Me - 'You are in the wrong lane'

Him ' I'm going that way' (Pointing to straight over)

Me - 'Exactly, you are in the wrong lane'

Him - 'F Off'

You just cant educate people lol 

• Haha 2