Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

On 26/10/2023 at 08:26, FLAN said:

So far, each time I’ve gone through the new 5 ways junction at fosse road (heading from blackbird road to fosse Road) cars have been in wrong lane and swerved across last minute. I thought it was meant to make it less confusing 😂

I preferred it when it was like this 😂 🚤 

70879898242__956496B5-E788-487A-87C2-B434A45D22F1.jpeg

• Like 1

Not so much impacting me, but I'm astonished at the amount of people on social media who comment on dash cam videos, who seem to think "Getting there first" supersedes the actual rules of the road. 

Eg.

You are approaching a "Give way to oncoming traffic" traffic calming. Apparently, you don't have to give way so long as you "Get there first". 

Another example being a roundabout, don't worry about "give way to the right", just "Get there first" and they have to give way to you. 

15 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Not so much impacting me, but I'm astonished at the amount of people on social media who comment on dash cam videos, who seem to think "Getting there first" supersedes the actual rules of the road. 

Eg.

You are approaching a "Give way to oncoming traffic" traffic calming. Apparently, you don't have to give way so long as you "Get there first". 

Another example being a roundabout, don't worry about "give way to the right", just "Get there first" and they have to give way to you. 

Everyone who passed their driving test after the 80s should be forced to retake it. Plus, everyone apart from me who passed it before then. 

So, everyone apart from me is the key part of what my point is.

And given that I’m happy to do that too, I guess that’s not my point and it’s that we should all retake our tests and only the best 10% should be allowed a licence. Yes, that’s my point. Let’s clear the lanes of 90% of drivers who are all fvcking idiots. 

• Like 1

On 29/10/2023 at 17:31, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I preferred it when it was like this 😂 🚤 

70879898242__956496B5-E788-487A-87C2-B434A45D22F1.jpeg

As someone who grow up near Groby Road Jct (Defuse to call it Five Ways...where did that come from?)It's a lot worse now....from Blackbird Rd going up the A50.

• Like 1

People with Palestine flags flying from their cars in leicester, mostly Evington, Spinney Hills.

Wouldnt want to imagine what would happen to anyone with an Israel flag flying from theirs.

Edited by Raj
  • Haha 1

Had a near miss yesterday on a country road with a roundabout. As we approached the roundabout, a heavy tipper truck came the other way off the exit we were coming up to, at such speed that the tyres were squealing and I could see the truck had crossed the centre of the road and was on the verge of rolling over. I even caught a glimpse of the driver's panicked face as he tried to correct his oversteer. That's how close it was.

Had the truck rolled it would have flattened us. I instinctively managed to brake and swerve to my left and avoid any collision but it was very close.

Edited by Parafox

Not an annoyance but just something I witnessed this evening. On the way back from Shawell, driving to the Leicestershire Alps (Markfield ish), and saw two horrific accidents. Had to turn around at one of the incidents and our detour saw another. Both looked horrendous and hope all involved are fine. 

Do wonder if it was merely an unhappy coincidence, people driving poorly in the shite conditions or Herbert's driving home from the pub. 

Quite a few idiots on the roads after the match last night whilst heading home

At the A50/A46 roundabout I had one car jump a red light and drive across in front of us

Then just 10 seconds later another guy went around in the left hand lane, but tried to keep going around and so I nearly drove into the side of him as we tried to get onto the A50

Then another one did the same at the A50/M1 roundabout in Markfield as I was trying to head towards Bardon, someone in the left hand lane decided to just keep going around so I nearly drove into them as well

Barely used my car horn since I have had it in 3 years yet used it 3 times in the space of about 5-10 minutes last night lol

On 04/11/2023 at 23:32, moore_94 said:

Then just 10 seconds later another guy went around in the left hand lane, but tried to keep going around and so I nearly drove into the side of him as we tried to get onto the A50

This is terrifying because it's becoming more and more common. This has happened to me several times in the last year - people attempting to turn right on a roundabout from the left hand lane. How clueless does it get? 

I never have to venture out during busy times, haven’t for over ten years. The joy of WFH. When I do it’s either to ride freely around country lanes or commute my dogs to one local walk or other. 

A 40min ride to Milton Keynes took me 1hr45. On a motorbike! How on earth do people do the M1 or Northampton everyday in a car? I love travelling, but this was hell. 

Don’t know if they are still there but the temporary traffic lights outside The Priory/Longcliffe Golf Club are a joke.

Took me an hour to get from Forest Road to Shepshed as the second set of lights at the club were always blocked off when green by traffic backed up waiting at the red light at the crossroads.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Daggers said:

I never have to venture out during busy times, haven’t for over ten years. The joy of WFH. When I do it’s either to ride freely around country lanes or commute my dogs to one local walk or other. 

A 40min ride to Milton Keynes took me 1hr45. On a motorbike! How on earth do people do the M1 or Northampton everyday in a car? I love travelling, but this was hell. 

As you live in Kettering and you like to ride country lanes, I was wondering if you've ever visited or passed through Wilbarston. It's between Mkt Harborough and Corby on the Leicestershire/Northampton border. The place I spent 5 years being fostered as a small child.

I still go back from time to time as it's a lovely village with a lot of childhood memories.

Edited by Parafox

Getting on the motorway at Junction 21 today to go northbound at 7am so when it is starting to get busy.

Car infront of me going 30 at the halfway point on the slip road. Think fair enough, traffic at this time is usually held up by someone in front to start with which results in all traffic going slow, usually start to speed up when the motorway becomes visible so any lorries or cars you will be joining can be seen.

Look over to the lane that we will be joining, no traffic, check my mirror to check further down the motorway, no cars, all good, car in front should be speeding up now, expect at least 50 by the time we join, not ideal speeds for joining but Junction 21 seems to be hell for getting up to 70 when stuck behind some cars.

30mph.

30MPH this car in front was going when we got the start of where we can join the motorway.

THEN THEY START TO SLIGHTLY SLOW DOWN UNTIL THEY ARE GETTING RIGHT TO THE END OF THE SLIP ROAD!

Literally zero cars or lorries in the joining lane, clear as can be but this car in front does not want to join any quicker then a snail pace.

End up slamming on the horn to tell them to get a move on as I thought they were going to stop, luckily at the last second they realise that there is more than 3 gears and merges on the motorway at 40.

Wasnt too sure if I should have just merged on and left them to there own mess ups, but I didnt want to merge, go to overtake this slowpoke who would then just either turn into me, or stop on the slip road and create a hazard.

Honestly if you arent confident joining a motorway you need to take lessons or get practice when it is quiet. I'd understand if traffic in front was going 30 and he was then unsure about joining at that speed and hesitent with motorway traffic overtaking at 70, but it was as clear as you could want it to be joining at that time at that junction.

I do have some sympathy as, granted I havent done loads of motorway driving on different junctions so there might be worse, junction 21 northbound does seem to be quite a difficult junction to get up to full speed on, and is difficult to sometimes judge traffic with the short amount of time you have at rush hour if you do get up to speed. But in a situation like above it is as easy as can be and no excuse for joining at that speed.

Honestly bit of a rant, anyone else got any junction 21 stories or am I by myself on my dislike for that junction lol

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

As you live in Kettering and you like to ride country lanes, I was wondering if you've ever visited or passed through Wilbarston. It's between Mkt Harborough and Corby on the Leicestershire/Northampton border. The place I spent 5 years being fostered as a small child.

I still go back from time to time as it's a lovely village with a lot of childhood memories.

My lad had a friend there when he was a kid, used to go there every other weekend to deliver or collect. Not really on my route to Rutland for bike trips tho. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheMightySystem said:

Getting on the motorway at Junction 21 today to go northbound

Only had to read this much of that post before I could guess exactly what the story was going to be 😄

Seems to happen all the time around there, the fact the slip road is uphill seems to cause the unconfident drivers to carry no speed whatsoever to begin with and as they get some visibility further up they just panic and grind to a halt. Then they are trying to pull out from a standstill into 70 mph moving traffic

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Durnerz said:

Don’t know if they are still there but the temporary traffic lights outside The Priory/Longcliffe Golf Club are a joke.

Took me an hour to get from Forest Road to Shepshed as the second set of lights at the club were always blocked off when green by traffic backed up waiting at the red light at the crossroads.

They were awful last Friday, coming from the M1 to Forest Road. Once I got onto Forest Road and saw the queue coming the other direction, I considered myself lucky. Have avoided it since.

10 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Some utter tosser tried cutting me up this morning.

A5, approaching Towcester, I get in to the filter lane to turn right.

This guy tries to undertake me and cut in front. Weird. 

Anyway, after following me, sounding his horn and flashing his lights, we get caught in heavy traffic at a roundabout with roadworks.

Literally 1 car at a time can pull off from my entrance in to the island, because of it backing up and traffic lights on the actual roundabout. 

I pull out, safely in to lane 3, so I can take the 4th exit.

Tosser from earlier then goes absolutely flying past me in lane 1, trying to take exit 3.

Problem is, lane 1 and 2 are both for exit 1.

He gets t-boned and completely taken out.

Nobody injured, he pulls over and gets out his car.

I unwind my passenger window, not even trying to hide my raucous laughter and make sure he knows that he's absolutely made my week.

That's karma for you.

Things you love to see. 

• Like 1

On 08/11/2023 at 20:50, TheMightySystem said:

Getting on the motorway at Junction 21 today to go northbound at 7am so when it is starting to get busy.

Car infront of me going 30 at the halfway point on the slip road. Think fair enough, traffic at this time is usually held up by someone in front to start with which results in all traffic going slow, usually start to speed up when the motorway becomes visible so any lorries or cars you will be joining can be seen.

Look over to the lane that we will be joining, no traffic, check my mirror to check further down the motorway, no cars, all good, car in front should be speeding up now, expect at least 50 by the time we join, not ideal speeds for joining but Junction 21 seems to be hell for getting up to 70 when stuck behind some cars.

30mph.

30MPH this car in front was going when we got the start of where we can join the motorway.

THEN THEY START TO SLIGHTLY SLOW DOWN UNTIL THEY ARE GETTING RIGHT TO THE END OF THE SLIP ROAD!

Literally zero cars or lorries in the joining lane, clear as can be but this car in front does not want to join any quicker then a snail pace.

End up slamming on the horn to tell them to get a move on as I thought they were going to stop, luckily at the last second they realise that there is more than 3 gears and merges on the motorway at 40.

Wasnt too sure if I should have just merged on and left them to there own mess ups, but I didnt want to merge, go to overtake this slowpoke who would then just either turn into me, or stop on the slip road and create a hazard.

Honestly if you arent confident joining a motorway you need to take lessons or get practice when it is quiet. I'd understand if traffic in front was going 30 and he was then unsure about joining at that speed and hesitent with motorway traffic overtaking at 70, but it was as clear as you could want it to be joining at that time at that junction.

I do have some sympathy as, granted I havent done loads of motorway driving on different junctions so there might be worse, junction 21 northbound does seem to be quite a difficult junction to get up to full speed on, and is difficult to sometimes judge traffic with the short amount of time you have at rush hour if you do get up to speed. But in a situation like above it is as easy as can be and no excuse for joining at that speed.

Honestly bit of a rant, anyone else got any junction 21 stories or am I by myself on my dislike for that junction lol

Too many. Once I went over the diagnal white lines into the lane which comes from the M69. I did this because the car in front was doing what you had described, only difference was that they had stopped at the point of the merger and put their indicator on.....

I am not hanging around on a slip road. Its dangerous. The M69 lane was empty, off I went.🤷‍♂️

Anstey nook roundabout. Lots of near misses. Someone almost went into me last night.

Coming from Stadon road. There are two lanes.

The left lane is for left and straight on.

The right lane is for right.

There are three exits.

1) Cropston road (left)

2) To Leicester

3) Bradgate Road (right).

Which lane do you need to be in to go to Leicester? Which lane do people always seem to go into?