Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

31 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

We are based in Barton so it doesn’t help that pretty much the only way I can get home to Ashby is across a bridge somewhere (usually Walton) but most of them end up closed or the lanes around them flood so basically I end up with no choice but to go through Burton town with everyone else

Luckily I am finishing half an hour earlier today so will be able to miss the worst of the work traffic

Bailey Bridge is awful to try and get across in rush hour. Town centre is mental lately too as there's only two bridges across the Trent in the entire town. 

The silly cnuts have had a field day today. No lights, fog lights, pulling into outer lanes whilst going slower than the traffic in that lane, gratuitous braking, suddenly realising it’s their turn off and slaloming across the entire motorway. Utter disregard for the conditions. 
Decided I would just stick to the inside lane and accompany the pros.

5 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

M6 yesterday they'd closed a lane leading to the slip lane, which I've had to nip into to get onto the slip lane, so awaiting to see if I'll get anything from that.

Cameras flashing left, right and centre at the variable speed limits is always concerning to watch 

I got caught coming back from Hillsborough in the variable speed limit on the M1. I didn't even realise they had cameras on the overhead gantry until it lit me up. Was doing 47 in a 40. You won't have to wait long for the letter, I got flashed at 10.30 pm on the Wednesday & received the letter on the Saturday morning. I opted to do the driving awareness course.

I don't do tons of motorway driving but what I do is spilt roughly equally between the M69, M1, M42 and M6.

It's the M69 where I notice the highest number of folk driving like clowns and having been held up again yesterday after someone did something that ended up with their car facing the wrong way, minus most of its engine, I realised that it's probably where I've seen the most accidents.

It's not exactly a challenging stretch of road is it?

With the recent floods, anyone who attempts to drive through a flooded road when it's clear it's too deep. They then become completely confused when their car coasts to a stop in the middle of it or towards the end. Don't even attempt unless you are a lorry, farm vehicle, 4X4 etc.

I think the general population is just really thick. 

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I don't do tons of motorway driving but what I do is spilt roughly equally between the M69, M1, M42 and M6.

It's the M69 where I notice the highest number of folk driving like clowns and having been held up again yesterday after someone did something that ended up with their car facing the wrong way, minus most of its engine, I realised that it's probably where I've seen the most accidents.

It's not exactly a challenging stretch of road is it?

I haven't actually driven on the M69 in a good while but when I did I think I agree with you.

I wonder if it's just psychological. Just a straight shot between Leicester and Hinckley or Coventry, no cameras, shortish journey, not too busy outside of rush hour. Just makes people think they can put their foot down and go for it.

Plenty of numptyish driving on other motorways but for pure speed, M69 is up there with the worst I think.

35 minutes ago, Tommy G said:

With the recent floods, anyone who attempts to drive through a flooded road when it's clear it's too deep. They then become completely confused when their car coasts to a stop in the middle of it or towards the end. Don't even attempt unless you are a lorry, farm vehicle, 4X4 etc.

I sit for hours on YT watching people drive through floods and write their cars off lol

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Tommy G said:

And therein lies the problem. The average driver just wants to get from A to B and has no concept of risk taking or the consequences of such foolhardiness. 

This also applies to bell ends speeding and weaving across lanes on the motorway or jumping red lights or any number of risky manoeuvres.

Serves them right IMO.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Izzy said:

I sit for hours on YT watching people drive through floods and write their cars off lol

Oh my god, I had no idea of the extent of the genre.

Have you seen all the Rufford Ford ones?

It's incredible. There's a depth indicator that shows the water is 2 feet deep, a big crowd watching and people filming and still drivers think they might as well chance it.

The Range Rover whine of death is one of the saddest sounds I've heard.

I think my favourites are either when they end up going up the river rather than the road, or they manage to get to the other side and then the car packs up just when they think they've made it

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Oh my god, I had no idea of the extent of the genre.

Have you seen all the Rufford Ford ones?

It's incredible. There's a depth indicator that shows the water is 2 feet deep, a big crowd watching and people filming and still drivers think they might as well chance it.

The Range Rover whine of death is one of the saddest sounds I've heard.

I think my favourites are either when they end up going up the river rather than the road, or they manage to get to the other side and then the car packs up just when they think they've made it

I used to subscribe to the Rufford Ford YT channel but the local authorities have closed it for over a couple of years now :(

45 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I used to subscribe to the Rufford Ford YT channel but the local authorities have closed it for over a couple of years now :(

Bonkers. They could've probably built a suspension bridge with the value of the cars that got wrecked

Cyclists.

Mostly the ones who use the road up until using said road would cause them inconvenience such as a red light....then they will happily go onto the pavement.

Oh but heaven forbid your wing mirror clips one! "Oh your too close". 

Can't win.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, adejo92 said:

Cyclists.

Mostly the ones who use the road up until using said road would cause them inconvenience such as a red light....then they will happily go onto the pavement.

Oh but heaven forbid your wing mirror clips one! "Oh your too close". 

Can't win.

Strange comparison.

I regularly see cyclists doing things they shouldn't but if you're close enough to a cyclist that your wing mirror touches them then you are driving like a twat and you're putting their life at risk.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, ajthefox said:

Strange comparison.

I regularly see cyclists doing things they shouldn't but if you're close enough to a cyclist that your wing mirror touches them then you are driving like a twat and you're putting their life at risk.

Cyclist's'

Edited by adejo92
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

Strange comparison.

100% agree.

To paraphrase a well worn adage about the opposite sex (though what is the opposite sex these days? :dunno:)...

Cyclists - can't live with them, can't kill 'em.

Was essentially the tone of that post.

They do really annoy me when they run red lights, ride in the middle of the road when they're on their own or overtake you on their ebike when you're doing 30 on an urban road.

Not worth injuring for it though, they're likely to do that to themselves anyway.

13 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

100% agree.

To paraphrase a well worn adage about the opposite sex (though what is the opposite sex these days? :dunno:)...

Cyclists - can't live with them, can't kill 'em.

Was essentially the tone of that post.

They do really annoy me when they run red lights, ride in the middle of the road when they're on their own or overtake you on their ebike when you're doing 30 on an urban road.

Not worth injuring for it though, they're likely to do that to themselves anyway.

It was the point that I was making. They are annoying, and a menace on the road, but I didn't expect people to genuinely think I've took one off with my wing mirror and then come on here to tell people I've done it.

But yeh, the point was that they break all the road laws when it suits them but are the first to complain if a car doesn't given them about 3 meters when overtaking.

42 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Please explain why you wrote this edited post.

Because it seemed a couple of people genuinely believed that not only had I clipped one with my wing mirror, but also come on here to admit it.

Thought I'd just further worry them by changing Cyclist to cyclist's.

Perhaps I've hit a flock of them? Who knows? I didn't count? 

Edited by adejo92

On 02/01/2024 at 17:26, steve555 said:

I got caught coming back from Hillsborough in the variable speed limit on the M1. I didn't even realise they had cameras on the overhead gantry until it lit me up. Was doing 47 in a 40. You won't have to wait long for the letter, I got flashed at 10.30 pm on the Wednesday & received the letter on the Saturday morning. I opted to do the driving awareness course.

If you check the gantries as you approach, the speed cameras are always painted bright yellow. Not every gantry has a camera which is part of the reason why average speed cameras are becoming more common as you can't break the speed limit in between cameras like you can with gantry mounted ones.

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

If you check the gantries as you approach, the speed cameras are always painted bright yellow. Not every gantry has a camera which is part of the reason why average speed cameras are becoming more common as you can't break the speed limit in between cameras like you can with gantry mounted ones.

Thanks, I'll remember that, obviously it was dark & I had just come through an average speed check area (50  mph). Then it went up to 60 then back down to 50, followed by 40, these were all on the gantries. I just wasn't aware enough & got caught out.

Now I've got to do the motorway awareness course, so hopefully I'll learn something & won't get caught again.

• Like 1

Saw an absolute cnt this morning on the A511 heading between m1 and the roundabout by the charnwood arms.

Violently under/overtaking when spaces were not there, weaving between cars (all vehicles they were going past were doing a minimum 50mph). It was very tight and they almost clipped a couple of front ends as did it.

4 hours ago, adam1 said:

Saw an absolute cnt this morning on the A511 heading between m1 and the roundabout by the charnwood arms.

Violently under/overtaking when spaces were not there, weaving between cars (all vehicles they were going past were doing a minimum 50mph). It was very tight and they almost clipped a couple of front ends as did it.

I don't really know why people still do stuff like this when there are so many cars around with dash cams on, and the police will issue fixed penalty notices based on dash cam footage alone.

You get a recording of someone driving like a ****, takes seconds to email it to the Old Bill and Bob's your uncle

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I don't really know why people still do stuff like this when there are so many cars around with dash cams on, and the police will issue fixed penalty notices based on dash cam footage alone.

You get a recording of someone driving like a ****, takes seconds to email it to the Old Bill and Bob's your uncle

If i was in my car, I would be putting up a vid in here saying that this fckrs getting points! Unfortunately her car doesnt have a dash cam.🤬