Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

Modern engines don't need running in are you from the 1970's

At what point did engines suddenly stop need running in? A dealer will probably tell you that in the hope that you cane your new car as soon as you leave the dealership and turn up the next weekend needing major engine work. They'll then point out that the work is not covered under warranty as you hadn't driven to the manufacturer's instructions

Granted modern manufacturing techniques are far more advanced than 40 years ago so it's less likely you'll harm the engine but surely it's still common sense to bed the engine in a little (and to a lesser extent, brake pads and tyres)

At what point did engines suddenly stop need running in? A dealer will probably tell you that in the hope that you cane your new car as soon as you leave the dealership and turn up the next weekend needing major engine work. They'll then point out that the work is not covered under warranty as you hadn't driven to the manufacturer's instructions

Granted modern manufacturing techniques are far more advanced than 40 years ago so it's less likely you'll harm the engine but surely it's still common sense to bed the engine in a little (and to a lesser extent, brake pads and tyres)

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/general-advice/running-in-a-new-car.html

It used to be absolutely essential to follow rigorous running-in procedures to get the best life and performance out of a new vehicle. You may even remember the sight of a new car moving slowly in the nearside lane of a motorway with a 'running-in, please pass' sign in the rear window.

Improvements in engineering, manufacturing and oil quality mean that modern cars are much less dependent on this careful treatment for the first few thousand miles.

It's still a good idea to take a little extra care though, particularly if it's a car you plan to keep for a long time – reliability, oil consumption and fuel consumption can all benefit.

Ask the dealer for advice when you pick the car up, and check the handbook – many still include some 'running-in' advice.

Idiots who stop way too far behind the car in front at the lights, then drive forwards a few metres leaving me looking like a jackass with a whole car's length ahead of me.  My car's got a stop-start engine so no way am I turning it back on to roll forward and be stuck with the motor running through the entire light-sequence.

• Like 1

Didn't happen to me today but the last time I drove to London the clutch cable on my old Peugeot snapped. I knew you could drive a manual car without a clutch so thought I'd give it a bash, got all the way from London to Leicester in the early hours without a clutch. Was surprisingly easy, although whenever you stopped the car would stall, so had to bump start it to get going again. Luckily 95% of the journey was motorway. Its an old car that I plan to scrap soon so not too bothered what I did to the gearbox. A bit stressful, not recommended but I ain't a member of the AA so had to make the best of a bad situation.

Drivers who have one headlight set incorrectly thus dazzling oncoming traffic. pointless trying to alert them to it by flashing headlights back at them they're too dumb too realise.

Usual cause (I believe) is replacing a bulb the wrong way up or not making sure it's seated correctly in the mount.

Also xenon headlights. At the wrong angle of approach i.e a car coming at a slight angle to my right, these make it quite difficult to see anything in the background beyond the oncoming car.

Drivers who have one headlight set incorrectly thus dazzling oncoming traffic. pointless trying to alert them to it by flashing headlights back at them they're too dumb too realise.

Usual cause (I believe) is replacing a bulb the wrong way up or not making sure it's seated correctly in the mount.

Also xenon headlights. At the wrong angle of approach i.e a car coming at a slight angle to my right, these make it quite difficult to see anything in the background beyond the oncoming car.

what I usually do in comedy style is angle my head to the left wincing with one hand shielding my eyes.i must stress the more over the top the gesture the better.Amuses me for seconds.this does not work in the dead of night.

Idiots who attempt stupid undertaking manoeuvres on a single carriage road - car turning into a side road - car coming in the opposite direction slowed to let them complete the turn, car behind that tries to undertake them through the mouth of the side road that the first car was turning in to.

People that don't think to get in lane when there are signs telling you to do so. When 3 lane motorways go down to 2 for example, if everyone moved over when the first sign said to do so there would be a lot less congestion.

On the way back from Newcastle on Saturday I nearly collided with a coach, because I had sat in the left hand lane to turn left for 20 mins and he decided he would stay in the right hand lane until the last second and jump the queue. I wasn't letting him in infront of me and stayed close to the car infront and he just started coming across at me.

People that don't think to get in lane when there are signs telling you to do so. When 3 lane motorways go down to 2 for example, if everyone moved over when the first sign said to do so there would be a lot less congestion.

On the way back from Newcastle on Saturday I nearly collided with a coach, because I had sat in the left hand lane to turn left for 20 mins and he decided he would stay in the right hand lane until the last second and jump the queue. I wasn't letting him in infront of me and stayed close to the car infront and he just started coming across at me.

Someone hasn't read the Highway Code lol I will assume that you are one of those that get annoyed when vehicles stay in the lane that is closing as you've "queued" (wasted your time) for a while? Well if you read the Highway Code the lane that is closing has right of way and both lanes should filter in a zip method, one from each lane at a time.

• Like 1

I have just witnessed an absolute cracker for this thread. Driving behind some fool who first of all tries to turn left on a straight road, after following him doing 10 KPH and him swerving all over the place and a few beeps from me we pull up to a round about and I think he's pulling over to give me space, wrong! What he was actually doing was going around a busy roundabout in completely the wrong direction!

I didn't catch a glimpse of the driver but it was definitely one of the following...

A crack head

A pisshead

A kid who stole the car

An old fart

A woman

Shocking stuff!

Guest seanfox778

Someone hasn't read the Highway Code lol I will assume that you are one of those that get annoyed when vehicles stay in the lane that is closing as you've "queued" (wasted your time) for a while? Well if you read the Highway Code the lane that is closing has right of way and both lanes should filter in a zip method, one from each lane at a time.

DB11 is right, as frustrating as it can be it's against the law to not let them in.

DB11 is right, as frustrating as it can be it's against the law to not let them in.

ive had this argument with so many people. Driving back from Fosse Park towards Hinkley Road Roundabout and everyone in the left lane queueing when the right lane is clear. If people used the road correctly and used the zip method at the end things would move much more smoothly. People who bunch up to not let the car beside them in are the wankers. I was always told if your car is physically in front of the other then they have to give way to you.

ive had this argument with so many people. Driving back from Fosse Park towards Hinkley Road Roundabout and everyone in the left lane queueing when the right lane is clear. If people used the road correctly and used the zip method at the end things would move much more smoothly. People who bunch up to not let the car beside them in are the wankers. I was always told if your car is physically in front of the other then they have to give way to you.

furthermore by not using both lanes drivers are blocking the slip roads from Thorpe Astley and the slip road to come off the carriageway to go to Bees Knees and Meridian etc with all the traffic in the left lane. USE BOTH LANES CVNTS

When you're wanting to turn left, so you signal that you are turning left, notice that there is a pedestrian approaching the road you are turning into, they look back over their shoulder, straight at you - AND STILL CROSS!

Why even bother wasting energy by looking?

When you're wanting to turn left, so you signal that you are turning left, notice that there is a pedestrian approaching the road you are turning into, they look back over their shoulder, straight at you - AND STILL CROSS!

Why even bother wasting energy by looking?

They actually have right of way.

• Like 1

That's fair enough I will remember that, but the coach was in a lane that was supposed to be going right and as the left hand lane was busy (everyone turning left). He just drove all the way to the divide and started pulling over.

If the lane that is closing has right of way then why the need for the zip? Sure both lanes get equal right of way?

One at a time I agree should be the way it's done. I just think that if everyone pulled over before it got to the end then there wouldn't be as much hold up.

Edited by browniefox

Not today but last night.

People entering a roundabout in the wrong lane and trying to correct themselves with total disregard to people in the correct lane. Therefore cutting someone up or having a near-miss incident which could have had potential for damage to either car. Instead of darting back in to the correct lane, go round the roundabout and correct yourself as go round.