Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

What on the roads has annoyed you today?

On 11/24/2017 at 13:57, Steve_Walsh5 said:

My friend from work was seriously injured last week from a motorcycle accident. I don’t know if you read about it in the Mercury? 

The driver at the scene of the accident said he just didn’t see him so pulled out of the road. 

That happened to me many years ago ...  just pulled out straight in front.  I got carted off in an ambulance but remember him saying he just didn't see me ...   later on when interviewed by the Police they told me he thought I was going too fast ...    how he worked that out when he couldn't see me is just one of lifes mysteries ! 

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

That happened to me many years ago ...  just pulled out straight in front.  I got carted off in an ambulance but remember him saying he just didn't see me ...   later on when interviewed by the Police they told me he thought I was going too fast ...    how he worked that out when he couldn't see me is just one of lifes mysteries ! 

You’d think he would at least have seen the dead deer slung over the back... 

10 hours ago, Bryn said:

Cyclists and drivers should not share the same space, cyclists are a constant obstacle and get stuck in your blind spot so easily. I have never come close to hitting one and they still instill a state of anxiety. 

I'm not a cyclist but isn't that a bit harsh? That said, I'm sure cyclists would be thrilled if a motor vehicle free cycling network were in place.

We'd all notice if the cyclists suddenly decided to drive cars instead, so I think there's a case for accommodating them

11 hours ago, Bryn said:

Cyclists and drivers should not share the same space, cyclists are a constant obstacle and get stuck in your blind spot so easily. I have never come close to hitting one and they still instill a state of anxiety. 

It's never going to happen here, but this is what they do in the Netherlands. I was really nervous about driving there the first time, but they are kept completely separate from the cars, and it's so much safer. 

1 hour ago, Buce said:

You’d think he would at least have seen the dead deer slung over the back... 

Deer !! ...    That was my girlfriend at the time ..   And she was very much alive.   I ended up embedded in the car and she got catapulted right over the top ...    We got off quite lightly tbh ...   Just a few cuts and bruises ...   Still got the scars though 30 years later.

1 hour ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm not a cyclist but isn't that a bit harsh? That said, I'm sure cyclists would be thrilled if a motor vehicle free cycling network were in place.

We'd all notice if the cyclists suddenly decided to drive cars instead, so I think there's a case for accommodating them

No because I think cycling is brilliant, for health and the environment, and would advocate building far more isolated cycle routes. But having them on the same pathway as ****ing lorries is insanity.

What do we reckon to this, then?

Personally I don't think it's an amazing idea, and that's partly because I've seen little evidence that either pedestrians or cyclists can keep to the areas allocated to them, and also because I think space should be freed up for cycling by sacrificing road space rather than that meant for those on foot.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/should-cyclists-allowed-use-leicesters-832238

54 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

What do we reckon to this, then?

Personally I don't think it's an amazing idea, and that's partly because I've seen little evidence that either pedestrians or cyclists can keep to the areas allocated to them, and also because I think space should be freed up for cycling by sacrificing road space rather than that meant for those on foot.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/should-cyclists-allowed-use-leicesters-832238

I've nothing against it as such, though there does seem to be a significant number of cyclists that travel at completely inappropriate speeds in pedestrianised areas. I suppose the speed and mass differential between pedestrians and cyclists means less potential for fatalities, but (as you say) this is offset by the haphazard and often unpredictable movement of pedestrians. To be honest, I am unconvinced that spending all this money on cycle lanes is ever going to have the desired effect of attracting enough people to cycling to significantly reduce motorized traffic. Personally I'd prefer to see a cheap, reliable and unified public transport system being implemented, but there's bugger all chance of ever seeing that happen, so instead we have these half-arsed, badly conceived cycle paths that few ever use because the paths that are on the road offer little to no additional protection, and the paths that are on the pavements force the cyclist to give way at every road junction. It would be a bold move to sacrifice even more road space for cycle paths so that the cyclist and the car could be truly separated. It might work, but as I've already said my suspicion is that the bicycle will never be taken up by anything more than a small fraction of the population and you'll just end up with big empty cycle lanes and longer traffic jams producing more pollution.

On ‎11‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 22:59, Bryn said:

Deliveroo cyclists are among the worst and there's more and more of them weaving in and out of traffic, on and off pavements etc.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I said it was a motorbike, not a mobility scooter

:angry:

This super scooter is the best bike I've ever had! It's s brilliant bit of engineering. If anyone wants to pop round to see it I might even let you have a 'sit on'. Take your photo with it and show the kids! 

:thumbup:

Edited by Col city fan
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

The old roads are a bit slippy for super scoot this morning. And are taking ages to dry.

We're talking proper biking here though. Not like @Swan Lesta who needs sunshine and a minimum temp of 20 degrees before he tears around the English countryside with his lecturer buddies. 

5f2faa9ed017a16628f3c75585117a06--honda-

♬ Get your motor running ♬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Recently bought a car where I live in Germany so I get a few a day, mental drivers and mental cyclists everywhere.

"Oh I'm an old lady on a bike, let me just ignore a junction and without looking just go into the middle of a road in a 4o zone"

"Oh I own a BMW, let me just change lanes like a nutcase then get really close behind you on an autobahn before crossing 2 lanes in traffic before realising I am about to miss my exit and swerve across the lanes again - at 100mph"

6 hours ago, Col city fan said:

The old roads are a bit slippy for super scoot this morning. And are taking ages to dry.

We're talking proper biking here though. Not like @Swan Lesta who needs sunshine and a minimum temp of 20 degrees before he tears around the English countryside with his lecturer buddies. 

MjAxMy1hMjkyMjMyN2ExMmY0MGQ1.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2