Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Kitchandro

Newcastle post match thread

Some of the diehards will doubtless find excuses or accept another bad day's work but it sounded to me like another exercise in tactical ineptitude.

We had a good start to the season and set an example to ourselves with a positive outlook climaxed by the example to ourselves we set against Manchester United.

Was there anything relevent to recognise in that performance compared to today's or, indeed, our last three abject defeats against some of the worst teams in the League?

Newcastle today wasn't a visit to a fortress it was a visit to a vulnerable outpost with already recognised weaknesses.

Did we play to our own strengths and attack those weaknesses No. We didn't even pay Newcastle the courtesy of fielding our best team.

You can't win football matches in any division by not scoring, you can't expect Premiership novices to soak up pressure for 90 minutes and you can't score goals without sufficient "goals potential" in the side - let alone one sodding striker when we've got plenty.

It's just footballing suicide and what an insult to the players we've got that we hardly managed a worthwhile shot until they scored 15 minutes from time or force a single noteable save from the goalkeeper.

Pearson picks his words carefully and comes across as an intelligent man but none of the above smacks of intelligence - or the passion we need all the time but so often seems so lacking in his manner.

It was all there against United so where's it gone and why the sudden self doubts?

We've been awful since King's been out and to use Drinkwater as a second striker rather than him is just laughable and for more than one reason.

What we seem to be doing is accommodating people when  in fact we should be picking our best and most positive side. Ulloa's not the most versatile striker at the best of times but he is a threat - when he's got some proper support and movement around him and off him.

King is excellent at that sort of thing when you need extra cover in midfield though why we should have needed "extra" cover I don't know.

Why because- like Man United - their defence was vulnerable. Yet we never set out to press and unsettle them.

Times our fans have begged for a sitting midfield player but two for heaven's sake against a team with Newcastle's record? Why? In fact why have anyone "sitting" unless they're not capable of moving quickly back and forward in the same unit.

Who the hell was ever going to score the goals in our side? Ulloa wasn't likely to because he had no worthwhile support beside him. Schllupp's not been the most lethal marksman from the wing and was clearly there primarily to help Konchesky and provide crosses - but to who? Albrighton was much the same - he has abilities and a work ethic but first time out he was hardly likely to be a big threat.

Another problem for a novice side is too many changes - of personnel and of system. The players have got enough problems just surviving without having major problems of our own making every week.

Get back to basics Nigel - and attack the game with a real and workable plan. People might grumble at Schlupp and Albrighton but what did they have to aim for and where was the selfless movement of people like King? Or the quick, accurate passing and space-making one-twos?.

Today wasn't just about the players - our tactics were  indefensible. And we got what so often happens when you play that way. Damn all.  .      

Dismal performance today. We're far too easy to beat, the man united game has really taken it out of us and I'm finding little or no positives from recent games. Maybe our attitude has been our downfall, the performance against palace was one of total complacency, it looked like we expected to win, and every game following has had the same feel to it.

We're are our own worst enemy at times, maybe the performance against United has also highlighted our weaknesses?

I can't say I'm not worried either, we've conceded two goals previously to a side who had only scored one pre visit, and today a side who yet to take the lead, let alone win. It's going to be a long hard season for us now I think, I was very optimistic, I'm not anymore though.

Disappointing today because Newcastle are bang average at best.

It was very odd to see Newcastle trying to play on the counter attack at home. No wonder the Geordies want rid of Pardew if that's how he sets his teams up. I mean obviously I think City are the greatest team in the world but being realistic, we are no Chelsea or Man City.

It was our final ball that let us down today. However, it's not doom and gloom. Yes we lost today but I think we've showed so far that we can handle our own, despite the disappointment of the last three games.

My fookin god..I wouldn't want to be in a trench with some the panic ridden surrender monkeys on here.. 

It's hard to stay positive when the last month of football has been dire.

As we saw 2 seasons ago, a couple of bad games can turn into a catastrophic failure of epic proportions. Fingers crosses that we can turn it around, because I think if we get dragged down into the 'zone', it's going to be difficult to pull ourselves back up.

We were poor today. Albrighton too weak for me, loses the ball so easy. Don't understand why De Laet shot either which then led to their goal. 

Interesting you pick Albrighton as one player to mention despite that he created some decent opportunities with more than good enough crosses which our players didn't get on the end of. 

Interesting you pick Albrighton as one player to mention despite that he created some decent opportunities with more than good enough crosses which our players didn't get on the end of. 

Didn't see too many of them. He lost the ball so easily, to weak. One time led to their chance Collochini should have scored. 

We were even worse than against Burnley and it's Pearson's fault.

Newcastle were absolutely there for the taking - like 3 or 4-0 there for the taking - and they beat us brcIse we played for 0-0. Absolutely unacceptable.

How is it that we think that the right approach to

attack Everton, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man United but we think that playing for 0-0 at a Newcastle side with no confidence was ok?

Terrible atmosphere from both sides too. Newcastle fans were embarrassing. 55,0000 and not a peep until they scored. 3,000 of us and not a peep from us full stop.

Thought we could have lined up to take the game to Newcastle and strike early, then at least revert to the 4-5-1 defensive shutout.

Ulloa showed neat touches and some good play in the first half, either changed his boots or stepped in something at half time because he couldn't pass wind come the second.

Nugent is the most frustrating point of our attack, got into glorious positions with options aplenty and time and again made the wrong choices.

We just lack that bravery shown in the opening matches, the confidence to have a go at goal, gamble on a goalkeeper spill or a bad ball. Our attack in the second half need to take a long look at themselves, midfield were working but had nothing to aim at all game, no clever runs or desire to get in behind a poor Newcastle back line.

Its disappointing but its how we bounce back now.

I read some of the rubbish on here sometimes and it genuinely makes me feel ashamed, sometimes, to be a Leicester City fan. Someone even saying we are down?

Christ Almighty..

Explain Col, most stuff written here about the game is normal for a shit performance?

I can't get my head around Pearson's tactics for this one at all. There is absolutely no scenario where we would have looked back at the end of the season and thought "wow that 0-0 at Newcastle was a great result".

How the **** has Albrighton survived 5 years as a Premier League player? 3 shit performances out of 3.

Knockaert might be a pain in the arse but at least he looks like doing something. The only chance we've got of a goal with Albrighton on is a massively over hit cross sneaking in

Explain Col, most stuff written here about the game is normal for a shit performance?

Its about context I suppose. We have just played Newcastle away.. always a difficult place to go, in front of 52 thousand home fans baying for Pardew's blood.

And we lost 1-0, having made some chances of our own.

It's a good job some of the kids on here weren't at St James that day we lost 6-1.

The Premiership is THE top league in the World. This season was always going to be a marathon with highs and lows. And the berks who claimed that the top half of the Prem are as good as the likes of West Ham, Southampton, West Brom and the like are just wrong. Plain wrong.

If we stay up in this division, we'll have done bloody well.

Its about context I suppose. We have just played Newcastle away.. always a difficult place to go, in front of 52 thousand home fans baying for Pardew's blood.

And we lost 1-0, having made some chances of our own.

It's a good job some of the kids on here weren't at St James that day we lost 6-1.

The Premiership is THE top league in the World. This season was always going to be a marathon with highs and lows. And the berks who claimed that the top half of the Prem are as good as the likes of West Ham, Southampton, West Brom and the like are just wrong. Plain wrong.

If we stay up in this division, we'll have done bloody well.

Surely that should play into our hands?

Archived