Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ivarti

Pearson is the best answer

How many more of the same topics

The OP could easily have been a response to: That Has to be it... / Pearson: Continue to believe / If Pearson gets sacked... / Loyalty or lack of options / Are we scarred as fans...  and counting.

It's a legit thread now, but I make a fair point.

You don't know who we missed out on, or what the reason was. All we know is that we missed out on a lot with lots of different names chucked around. Cresswell, Pelle to name just two. As I've said times the scouts comments on twitter about it being frustrating, but pleasing to see missed targets performing well at a high level. The other comments about there often being big differences in quality between first choice and 4th or 5th are quite telling. Was it or wasn't it Robinson... can we just not afford them? Who knows but the owners, and they seem willing to back him and get rid of Robinson.

If we aren't going to give him funds, then we might as well sack him now. You either back him or sack him, it's pointless in carrying through until the summer when a new man could be trying to make changes. But if we're going to do that, then we might as well have sacked him 6 games ago and got someone in to work the window.

No, the alternative is to allow him to invest modestly and try to show that he can do a lot better with a squad which should be doing a lot better. It would be a huge gamble to give substantial funds to a manager who you suspect you may have to fire before long. If you're sure that they shouldn't look elsewhere any time soon, then I suppose I can understand you saying they should open the chequebook for him. But I think that's a massive call. And sticking with a manager and expecting him to do his job better than before doesn't necessarily mean you back him to the tune of nine, ten or eleven million quid.

As for Robinson, you yourself drew attention to Pearson's comments in another thread. He wanted Robinson to stay, he felt they worked well together. He could have said nothing. He said that the interviewer needed to get an answer from somebody higher up than him. So do we blame the board or do we blame Pearson? I don't know, but I'd argue that for the £9m we spent we could have done a better job than we did. Part of the problem, or so it seems, was that so many of the targets were unrealistic within our transfer and wage budget. To spend transfer deadline day chasing Defoe, for example, was more likely to have been Pearson's fault than the board's.

No, the alternative is to allow him to invest modestly and try to show that he can do a lot better with a squad which should be doing a lot better. It would be a huge gamble to give substantial funds to a manager who you suspect you may have to fire before long. If you're sure that they shouldn't look elsewhere any time soon, then I suppose I can understand you saying they should open the chequebook for him. But I think that's a massive call. And sticking with a manager and expecting him to do his job better than before doesn't necessarily mean you back him to the tune of nine, ten or eleven million quid.

As for Robinson, you yourself drew attention to Pearson's comments in another thread. He wanted Robinson to stay, he felt they worked well together. He could have said nothing. He said that the interviewer needed to get an answer from somebody higher up than him. So do we blame the board or do we blame Pearson? I don't know, but I'd argue that for the £9m we spent we could have done a better job than we did. Part of the problem, or so it seems, was that so many of the targets were unrealistic within our transfer and wage budget. To spend transfer deadline day chasing Defoe, for example, was more likely to have been Pearson's fault than the board's.

I can't go through it all as I really need to get my work done, but I've never said give him an open book on signings. I've repeated times I don't believe in that particularly and want sensible investment.

We should sack him so these threads disappear.

That's the most compelling argument yet for a sacking!!!!! Ha

The mods deleted my thread today which didn't break any forum rules, was Leicester City related, was unique and got people talking and excited...

Yet they keep boring crap like this. A 100th post about whether or not Pearson should be sacked.

Freedom of speech is imperative here. FoxesTalk is not North Korea, it shouldn't be one rule for one and another for the other. It's for reasons like this that the forum has a reputation for not being representative of the Leicester fanbase.

The thread should be reopened or an explanation of which rule has been broken should be provided.

We look utterly dreadful and Persons track record suggests he can turn this around. Look at that quality losing run we had 2 seasons ago. You remember that one everyone? The one where we were playing badly then we, under Pearson, turned it around.

Turned around a 9 winless run (including 5 losses) with W,D,L,W. Hardly turn around of the year was it.

Turned around a 9 winless run (including 5 losses) with W,D,L,W. Hardly turn around of the year was it.

Any turnaround where the goal is achieved is a successful turnaround. You can't just rewrite history to suit you.

Should also be pointed that all of our last six games were against teams who finished in the top half. We had a pretty decent end to the season.

It required a decent turnaround to get us back in the play offs.

More impressive was who we did it against. OK we lost to Watford at home but they were flying and I'd argue probably the best team in the league on their day. Bolton were also flying and we beat them. We drew away at Palace, who were also in the Play Offs. We beat Forest on the final day away from home, also Play Off rivals and a place we hadn't won for 30 or so years I believe. In context I say that was a damn good and important turnaround.

Any turnaround where the goal is achieved is a successful turnaround. You can't just rewrite history to suit you.

Should also be pointed that all of our last six games were against teams who finished in the top half. We had a pretty decent end to the season.

I'm pretty sure our goal was to get promoted that year. And the turnaround just fell short of achieving that one.

Under Pearson, form has tended to collapse when we are at our strongest (when he talked up an automatic promotion challenge in 2010, after the win over Wolves in 2013, after Manchester Utd in 2015 - arguably our three biggest highs, last season aside, this decade).

People keep mentioning O'Neill at the moment, for some unknown reason. But, as he's our last successful PL manager, it's worth remembering that there was only one run in his 4.5 year reign which was comparable with the three aforementioned collapses. It came in his first three months in charge, was immediately followed by a spectacular resurgence and (unlike 2013) promotion, then the most successful period in our history. There were no more such miserable runs of form.

In comparison, Pearson seems unusually prone to this kind of collapse and particularly slow at turning it around.

I'm pretty sure our goal was to get promoted that year. And the turnaround just fell short of achieving that one.

Under Pearson, form has tended to collapse when we are at our strongest (when he talked up an automatic promotion challenge in 2010, after the win over Wolves in 2013, after Manchester Utd in 2015 - arguably our three biggest highs, last season aside, this decade).

People keep mentioning O'Neill at the moment, for some unknown reason. But, as he's our last successful PL manager, it's worth remembering that there was only one run in his 4.5 year reign which was comparable with the three aforementioned collapses. It came in his first three months in charge, was immediately followed by a spectacular resurgence and (unlike 2013) promotion, then the most successful period in our history. There were no more such miserable runs of form.

In comparison, Pearson seems unusually prone to this kind of collapse and particularly slow at turning it around.

Most people said at the start of the season they'd have taken the play-offs. While the overall goal for the season was not achieved our objective in the league was.

I'm amazed people can sit here and say that history supports their view. It does not. Pearson's record shows that when we are on a bad run we turn it around and achieve our goal. History favours Pearson. I don't know how anyone could pretend otherwise.

Partially agree. Some people proved their true colours a while ago when they were calling for him to go when we were about 4th in the Championship. Some people simply dislike the bloke, and some are deluded into thinking sacking a manager despite a lack of viable alternative is the way forward. You all know the type I mean. The type who call up 606 and will be kissing the said manager's arse after a good run of form.

It isn't however unreasonable to question this run. Two points from twelve games is nothing short of disgraceful and embarrassing. Those two points we dropped in that awful game against Burnley have still not been made up since.

The tolerance of fans towards continual sub standard performances and most importantly, losses, is remarkable. They get clapped off like heroes for getting well beaten after every away game. Struggle to go along with that when you've had a long travel to watch a complete turd of a performance. Pearson - thanks for promotion but it is time to give the reins to someone adept at this level and give them the transfer window to try and reshape the team into something competitive and give us half a chance of staying up. Alternatively lay down and die, accept relegation and keep singing Pro-Pearson songs forever more. 

The obvious question is always who takes over. Very obvious Pulis ticks a number of boxes in terms of experience at this level and more importantly experience of successful relegation dogfights. The job he did at Stoke for years was brilliant as was the stunning revival of Palace last year. His style of football isn't everyones cup of tea granted. Question is how much do the owners want the club to stay in the division?

Lennon could be a popular choice given the job he did at Celtic and the job he is already doing at Bolton. Was at their game @ Millwall on Friday night and they looked pretty well drilled (Mills looked a lot better than he ever showed us here actually). He's already turned their bleak season around with a chance to kick on. He lacks the experience factors in Pulis favour but maybe a more long term option?

O'Neill a bit of a fantasy option - not sure how keen he is to do a full time League job now and perhaps evidence of a decline in his managerial abilities.

Top end Championship managers unlikely to jump ship with potential promotions ahead. 

What are we meant to look at, he did turn it around. Pearson is a manager who solves problems in transfer windows, he has one in a few days time. No point in getting rid so close now so he might as well get a shot at it.

I think that judging by the owners actions in not sacking Nigel to date but instead going about their business by (assuming they did) sacking somebody instrumental behind the scenes, namely Terry Robinson, whom they considered as hapless then maybe they are being prudent here and not pressing the panic button. I think they're pretty clued up in general through being efficient business people in their own country and although LCFC are their play thing by comparison to their main KP business, I would take an educated guess that they are keen to succeed with us too by making the best decisions within their power, judgement and knowledge. Time will tell as it always does but they appear to be in no hurry to sack NP.  

The tolerance of fans towards continual sub standard performances and most importantly, losses, is remarkable. They get clapped off like heroes for getting well beaten after every away game. Struggle to go along with that when you've had a long travel to watch a complete turd of a performance. Pearson - thanks for promotion but it is time to give the reins to someone adept at this level and give them the transfer window to try and reshape the team into something competitive and give us half a chance of staying up. Alternatively lay down and die, accept relegation and keep singing Pro-Pearson songs forever more. 

The obvious question is always who takes over. Very obvious Pulis ticks a number of boxes in terms of experience at this level and more importantly experience of successful relegation dogfights. The job he did at Stoke for years was brilliant as was the stunning revival of Palace last year. His style of football isn't everyones cup of tea granted. Question is how much do the owners want the club to stay in the division?

Lennon could be a popular choice given the job he did at Celtic and the job he is already doing at Bolton. Was at their game @ Millwall on Friday night and they looked pretty well drilled (Mills looked a lot better than he ever showed us here actually). He's already turned their bleak season around with a chance to kick on. He lacks the experience factors in Pulis favour but maybe a more long term option?

O'Neill a bit of a fantasy option - not sure how keen he is to do a full time League job now and perhaps evidence of a decline in his managerial abilities.

Top end Championship managers unlikely to jump ship with potential promotions ahead. 

Pulis's style of football wouldn't suit our current group of players.  

Many observers have noted that our relative lack of physical strength has played a big part in our recent struggles.  The defeats at Palace, QPR and West Ham were striking examples.

Ireland only have one game before the end of the season, so MON as a caretaker manager (similar to Guus Hiddink at Chelsea a few seasons back) may be an option worth exploring.   

Alternatively we could approach Bolton and give Neil Lennon a decision to make.  As noted, he seems to be getting more out of the likes of Mills and Danns than Pearson was ever able to do.

As they spent far more time touring lower-league slums prior to promotion than they originally planned,  I very much doubt our club's owners will want to return to them any time soon. 

But unless they make drastic changes during the next few weeks, that is exactly what they'll be compelled to do.

Pulis's style of football wouldn't suit our current group of players.  

Many observers have noted that our relative lack of physical strength has played a big part in our recent struggles.  The defeats at Palace, QPR and West Ham were striking examples.

Ireland only have one game before the end of the season, so MON as a caretaker manager (similar to Guus Hiddink at Chelsea a few seasons back) may be an option worth exploring.   

Alternatively we could approach Bolton and give Neil Lennon a decision to make.  As noted, he seems to be getting more out of the likes of Mills and Danns than Pearson was ever able to do.

As they spent far more time touring lower-league slums prior to promotion than they originally planned,  I very much doubt our club's owners will want to return to them any time soon. 

But unless they make drastic changes during the next few weeks, that is exactly what they'll be compelled to do.

Some valid observations - I think the point about a lack of physical strength is a very good one. I do think though Pulis would be able to bring in a few new faces in Jan to suit a more physical game. 

Think Lennon would take the gig as it's still a large leap from Bolton. Who knows though, he may wish to show Bolton loyalty. Not sure there's always room for such sentiment in this fickle game though.

A worrying trend for me is Pearson's obvious inability to get on with people. He managed to clear the squad of personalities mostly post Sven and has over the years frozen many out of his plans. Knockaert for eg seems to be on the naughty step these days. I just find it hard to see how you can succeed at the highest level without being able to cope with a few egos. Adapt or die. 

Or perhaps more aptly '**** off and die'  :D

Lets forget all the other crap results then. West Brom, Burnley, Palace etc. It's not just about the lack of wins, its the overall performance. We look utterly dreadful and Persons track record suggests he cant turn this around. Look at that quality losing run we had 2 seasons ago. How you can still stick up for 5him with such a pathetic run of results, performances and team selections is laughable.

If NP was playing himself, I might agree with you.I dont agree why the players are not getting so much stick> though they deserved the chance to have a go < It was/is obvious NP/owners wasnt going to break the bank on other players who hadnt

Shown they were better than what we already had.I believe many have been shocked how James and Drinkwater , our

BB from last season just havent turned up this season, with then Cambiasso this was the dream midfield, with King in the

Background, no miracles expected, but expected points.Other potential players, would have been more expensive, that shows

with Ulloa costing 8 million, and with a better flexable midfield I am sure he WOULD get more goals.

So for better proven players we are looking ar 10m plus. 5 x 10=50mil plus a couple of extras 60-65 mil.

IMO I believe the owners were looking at a top 16 placing, then they would start investing, the 1st season would have been a

foolish investment to buy big or above avg prices.A man.city pretence was never on the cards, a blind Sven like investment

was a no no.Playing with with variable systems is a must, having a stable bbone of a team with 2-3 players to slot in a must.

So far not 1 grouping or duos has given Pearson a chance to give him a consistent selection choice.

I find it difficult to understand what some fans expect.I presume they underrated the opposition in the PL plus our fellow

promoted teams and overrated our potential.It might seem crazy but if we could survive, I believe some of these same players

will realise their potential in the 2nd season.

Expectations and presumptions are not supporters wise friends .

Most people said at the start of the season they'd have taken the play-offs. While the overall goal for the season was not achieved our objective in the league was.

I'm amazed people can sit here and say that history supports their view. It does not. Pearson's record shows that when we are on a bad run we turn it around and achieve our goal. History favours Pearson. I don't know how anyone could pretend otherwise.

It depends on what you mean by turning a run around. He has presided over one of our worst second tier runs in the past 20 years and now one of our worst ever top flight runs. He didn't manage to turn anything around before we got to that point.

And it was our poor run in early 2013 which cost us promotion - which, as you agree, was our goal - and now a poor run late in 2014 which could well cost us our top flight status, which is this season's goal. These are major collapses in form which have not been turned around as quickly as they should have been.

All managers experience poor runs. The good managers cut them short before they ruin their team's season. If this run ends the way it looks like ending, then two out of his four seasons will have proven to be failures due to total collapses in form. And one of the others was a failure because he couldn't sufficiently reverse poor form which had begun under another manager.

Pearson's success has not, as with O'Neill's, been built on bouncing back after mid-season slumps. It's been built on good, solid starts to the season after steady summer squad-building. He didn't lift us in 2011 or early 2012, he didn't lift us to the expected promotion in 2013, and at present it's hard to imagine he'll lift us this time around. History, as I see it, offers little hope that he will.

So I find it hard to see how history has taught you that he is the man for turning around mid-season slumps in form, because he isn't. Should he stay, unless a better option presents itself? Yes, perhaps he should. But managers who are good at turning around poor form rarely find themselves five points adrift at the bottom of the table.

It can be but Southampton proved with Pochettino that it can be very very good.

I hate to be associated with haters like Cuddly Ken but I care more about staying up than I do about Pearson.

There's a debate to be had that Southampton were already turning it around under Adkins. I can honestly say didn't know Pochettino as a manager when he joined.

The bottom line of the Pearson arguments are is there any one better out there? I don't think Pulis will join and then you are struggling to name anyone.

Nigel Pearson is the best answer for City. Most people who would like to see a change, don't take into consideration that to stay up would anyway be difficult, or more of a miracle. People are talking about sacking NP after losing games v. Man City, West Ham and Liverpool, and of course a loss away to Aston Villa must also be counted. Why in hell should a Leicester City manager be sacked after losing games against those opponents. I certainly hope that the owners understand more than people asking for NP's head. Yes a lot has not been as we would have liked, but any of those talking shite about NP, should try to do the same themselves. They would have peed in their pants, and blushed. Many of those writing at this forum have no clue what football is all about, and just to sack the manager is their only answer, because the answer is, they don't know anything about football, training methods, coaching, transfer dealings, dealing with agents, buildiing bounds in a squad. Many fans also used to abuse Martin O'Neill, and they were all so terribly wrong, so far out in the country that anyone could get. So please start to show support for Nigel Pearson, one of the best managers in the history of Leicester FC, with two promotions and League winning medals. Martin O'Neill had no previous background from the Premier League either when he came up with City, and hopefully the tide will turn, most fans will back Nigel Pearson no matter what, and the team needs passionate support, not a lot of people crying and asking for the managers head and especially NP's head. Merry Xmas everybody !!!

2 points in 36. Sh*t results against ALL of the teams in and around us. Nothing to do with losing to City. TIME TO WAKE UP.

I think if some on here caught Pearson in bed with their misses,coming back from work early,they would applaud him till he finished and offer to polish his helmet clean.

True dat

Archived