Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

3 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Looking for any advice on Greece.

Me and the mrs are looking at booking a holiday for next June, we are both mid-late 20s and are after somewhere that isn't massively touristy and still maintains a bit of local charm. Neither of us have been Greece before, we've looked at places like Parga, Crete (Rethymno, Agios Nikolaos & Chania) or Kefalonia (no specific area). We like beach days but also explorring the local towns, not massively fussed about historical sites, good food and bars are always appreciated. If anyone has been and knows of somewhere I'd appreciate any advice.

Crete is fantastic - history and beautiful towns.

Kefalonia is naturally beautiful if you're slightly more into that.

I'd personally recommend the Peloponnese. There are some beautiful towns, beaches, waterfalls - and obviously loads of history. Do some research on towns you'd like to stay in and you won't regret it - we stayed in Patras, Olympia, Kalamata and Napflio and drove to places from there. I'd recommend the last two as places to base yourself.

You'll be lucky if you bump into any other English people, the food and beer is cheap, the weather will be amazing - oh and everywhere will have tele's outside showing the Euros!

12 minutes ago, ousefox said:

Crete is fantastic - history and beautiful towns.

Kefalonia is naturally beautiful if you're slightly more into that.

I'd personally recommend the Peloponnese. There are some beautiful towns, beaches, waterfalls - and obviously loads of history. Do some research on towns you'd like to stay in and you won't regret it - we stayed in Patras, Olympia, Kalamata and Napflio and drove to places from there. I'd recommend the last two as places to base yourself.

You'll be lucky if you bump into any other English people, the food and beer is cheap, the weather will be amazing - oh and everywhere will have tele's outside showing the Euros!

Top man thank you, I'll definitely take a look, sounds like what we are after!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Well the family have gone and booked a trip to the Far East. Great news, what's the catch? The return leg is booked for the evening of Sunday 12th July meaning I miss the entire Euro 2020 final :mad:

You can bet your house on sods law that England will now reach it :rolleyes:

This happened to me last year. In the air for England v Panama, in the middle of nowhere for Belgium and Colombia and on night trains for Sweden and Croatia. 

Bars everywhere showing the games and I just happened not to be in a town for all the England games. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TK95 said:

Well the family have gone and booked a trip to the Far East. Great news, what's the catch? The return leg is booked for the evening of Sunday 12th July meaning I miss the entire Euro 2020 final :mad:

You can bet your house on sods law that England will now reach it :rolleyes:

I don't think you have much to worry about, they'll be knocked out in the quarter finals amidst a hail of excuses playing awful football, but Captain Kane will still get a heroes welcome

On 25/10/2019 at 08:40, Rob1742 said:

Just been to Dubai, under duress I must say. Didn’t want to go, but I just go where I am told holiday wise.

What an amazing place. Without doubt the best service I have ever come across, and the hotels and restaurants are first class.

Atlantis The Palm Hotel is the best hotel I have ever stayed in with regards to the room, service and facilities. 

All the negative thoughts I had were not apparent when I got there, a very friendly, safe, clean and entertaining place to visit.

My little sister lives out there so I’ve been a few times…. Was there last week

It’s easy for people to take a pop at it “sh*t covered In glitter” appears to be the favourite…. Take it for what it is and not what it isn’t…. We always have a great time …. The water park at Atlantis is insane 

Top tip if you go again is to visit Oman…. Stunning…. Rent a dhow overnight 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wolfox said:

My little sister lives out there so I’ve been a few times…. Was there last week

It’s easy for people to take a pop at it “sh*t covered In glitter” appears to be the favourite…. Take it for what it is and not what it isn’t…. We always have a great time …. The water park at Atlantis is insane 

Top tip if you go again is to visit Oman…. Stunning…. Rent a dhow overnight 

For a tourist who sticks to the tourist spots, it's very easy to see the positives only.  The complexes are amazing.

Having worked there, it can be very scary and distressing.  Last time myself and my wife were there, we were in a Irish pub, across the road from the Jumaira Emirate Towers, these 'Arabs' walk in get drunk and start molesting the women In the place, the police and security just beg for these guys to stop, it was disgusting, these guys could do whatever they wanted.  I've seen the non Arabs get treated like dirt, and there women get abused.  

If your willing to close your eyes and accept the abuse of human beings that aren't Arab or rich(that includes us), at a grand scale, then enjoy.

2 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

For a tourist who sticks to the tourist spots, it's very easy to see the positives only.  The complexes are amazing.

Having worked there, it can be very scary and distressing.  Last time myself and my wife were there, we were in a Irish pub, across the road from the Jumaira Emirate Towers, these 'Arabs' walk in get drunk and start molesting the women In the place, the police and security just beg for these guys to stop, it was disgusting, these guys could do whatever they wanted.  I've seen the non Arabs get treated like dirt, and there women get abused.  

If your willing to close your eyes and accept the abuse of human beings that aren't Arab or rich(that includes us), at a grand scale, then enjoy.

I’ve also worked there…. Sounds like you came across some proper tools…  that could easily happen anywhere in the world…. I guess a disturbing situation like that can colour your opinion

it does have a rep for being particularly safe

Some elements are not great I’m not pretending they are …. But many benign dictatorships happen to be popular holiday spots …. Thailand for starters

13 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

I’ve also worked there…. Sounds like you came across some proper tools…  that could easily happen anywhere in the world…. I guess a disturbing situation like that can colour your opinion

it does have a rep for being particularly safe

Some elements are not great I’m not pretending they are …. But many benign dictatorships happen to be popular holiday spots …. Thailand for starters

I disagree, I worked.on some very big projects, what I saw regurly was fooked up.  Workers rights, there are non.  Women's rights, there are non.

I installed one of there first robotic warehouses in Dubai, using Chinese hikvision tech, the same robots Amazon use.  I was chauffer driven every day and was regularly 'rewarded' by the royal family

It's a safe place for tourists, yes, for poor immigrants, no way.  If your happy watching a immigrant women being molested, slapped, abused Infront of you, so be it.

Like I said,.if your happy with people being treated badly that aren't rich, good for you.

When you get over the nice buildings, it was pretty grim.

• Like 1

On 27/10/2019 at 14:26, LcFc_Smiv said:

Looking for any advice on Greece.

Me and the mrs are looking at booking a holiday for next June, we are both mid-late 20s and are after somewhere that isn't massively touristy and still maintains a bit of local charm. Neither of us have been Greece before, we've looked at places like Parga, Crete (Rethymno, Agios Nikolaos & Chania) or Kefalonia (no specific area). We like beach days but also explorring the local towns, not massively fussed about historical sites, good food and bars are always appreciated. If anyone has been and knows of somewhere I'd appreciate any advice.

Hi pal, Reading the description of what you are looking for I have to say that Skala in Kefalonia is right up your street, it`s not massively over populated with tourists, yes it`s getting bigger since we first went in 2001 because they are building there just like they are here but everything you want is just a 5 to 10 minute walk away depending on where you stay, the sun is out all day long without a single cloud in sight and this is every day..

We went again this year in July for the 17th time and had temperatures every day of 35-37 degrees, it`s a lovely island with lovely people and I cant praise it enough....

We have been to many other holiday destinations but nothing beats Skala….. 

Hope this helps....

32 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

I disagree, I worked.on some very big projects, what I saw regurly was fooked up.  Workers rights, there are non.  Women's rights, there are non.

I installed one of there first robotic warehouses in Dubai, using Chinese hikvision tech, the same robots Amazon use.  I was chauffer driven every day and was regularly 'rewarded' by the royal family

It's a safe place for tourists, yes, for poor immigrants, no way.  If your happy watching a immigrant women being molested, slapped, abused Infront of you, so be it.

Like I said,.if your happy with people being treated badly that aren't rich, good for you.

When you get over the nice buildings, it was pretty grim.

You can either read what I put or just react to reinforce your point…. My family have been there for years and it’s not an every day event… are there cases of poor treatment of people absolutely and is there huge room for improvement… of course

it’s culturally different and evolving … it’s far from perfect (potentially very far in some areas)  but it’s improving
I was working with a female colleague both there and in Saudi who was treated with respect by locals …

They even have a minister for happiness ….

Workers rights aren’t as they might be but safety is much improved and care has improved

It’s not as simplistic as you portray and trust me I’m not an apologist for the mistreatment of other people… 

16 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

You can either read what I put or just react to reinforce your point…. My family have been there for years and it’s not an every day event… are there cases of poor treatment of people absolutely and is there huge room for improvement… of course

it’s culturally different and evolving … it’s far from perfect (potentially very far in some areas)  but it’s improving
I was working with a female colleague both there and in Saudi who was treated with respect by locals …

They even have a minister for happiness ….

Workers rights aren’t as they might be but safety is much improved and care has improved

It’s not as simplistic as you portray and trust me I’m not an apologist for the mistreatment of other people… 

Again I disagree, nothing has changed except PR, workers rights have not changed for nations that can be exploited.  How many south Asian workers work with no rights, infact there passports are taken off them, so that can't even return home...that hasn't changed.

There are plenty of articles.still saying what I've seen, PR changes nothing

8 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Again I disagree, nothing has changed except PR, workers rights have not changed for nations that can be exploited.  How many south Asian workers work with no rights, infact there passports are taken off them, so that can't even return home...that hasn't changed.

There are plenty of articles.still saying what I've seen, PR changes nothing

Had a feeling you might :ph34r:

Things have quite clearly developed … and there is still lots of room for improvement…. If you re read what I put I want fully disagreeing just adding a little balance and perspective…. It’s quite trendy to have a pop at Dubai…. Whilst many holiday in all sorts of south eastern Asian counties which have far worse issues….

Holiday makers influence positive change in quite often…

Anyway… this is a holiday thread and I had a nice trip!

7 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Had a feeling you might :ph34r:

Things have quite clearly developed … and there is still lots of room for improvement…. If you re read what I put I want fully disagreeing just adding a little balance and perspective…. It’s quite trendy to have a pop at Dubai…. Whilst many holiday in all sorts of south eastern Asian counties which have far worse issues….

Holiday makers influence positive change in quite often…

Anyway… this is a holiday thread and I had a nice trip!

:thumbup: sorry chap

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Soup said:

Looking at getting away for a week next May. Fancy somewhere we've not been before and thinking maybe Cape Town.

Looks great value when you get there. Anyone been before and would you recommend?

Yes, what a city. I’m not sure if May is the best time for weather but I can’t recommend the place enough. World class food and drink for next to nothing, stunning scenery and penguins on beaches.

I need to go back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Soup said:

Looking at getting away for a week next May. Fancy somewhere we've not been before and thinking maybe Cape Town.

Looks great value when you get there. Anyone been before and would you recommend?

Cape Town is wonderful. Went a while back to watch cricket. Great beaches, vineyards/wine tours. Great night life and food, unbelievably cheap too. I’m off to Pretoria at Christmas/New Year. Wish it was CT but nevertheless will enjoy it.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yes, what a city. I’m not sure if May is the best time for weather but I can’t recommend the place enough. World class food and drink for next to nothing, stunning scenery and penguins on beaches.

I need to go back.

Yeah unfortunately May is the only available month for us next year but looks like there's loads to do.

Getting to see Penguins on the beach would be so cool.

9 hours ago, Soup said:

Yeah unfortunately May is the only available month for us next year but looks like there's loads to do.

Getting to see Penguins on the beach would be so cool.

I’d like to say the main reason for me wanting to go back isn’t to sit on a beach with penguins about a metre away from me but it’s pretty much the main reason I want to go back.

If you go in May I think you will have a decent chance to see Whales. 

Some people are put off by the crime rate but if you do your investigation the majority of crime is committed inside the townships outside the city bowl. Ubers are excellent over there so if you go out at night it’s fine as well.

You really won’t regret it if you go, I’m tempted to go back in January.

• Like 1