Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Does anyone have experience of getting connecting flights from Paris CDG and how easy it is?

1h30 layover on the way out and 4h20 on the way back

Heading there from Brum and then going long haul.

Ta.

Connected through there a few years ago on route to Mauritius, we had about the same amount of time to connect 1h30m. We were 15 or so late leaving the UK and it was tight at CDG, from what I recall we didn’t have to collect cases but did have to go through security and take a bus to a separate terminal.  We made it but was panicking a little.

• Like 1

Anybody wanting to get away to America but maybe try somewhere a bit different, my god then please give Oregon a try!!

Travel frequently for work but unfortunately only really get to see airport - hotel - office etc but for once had a few days spare to explore and take a car out....still blown away by the place in all honesty.

City life, Mountains, Beaches, Views, Foodies, it honestly has it all for singles, couples and family's

I love living in Blighty but id move to this place in a heartbeat given the chance

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Anybody wanting to get away to America but maybe try somewhere a bit different, my god then please give Oregon a try!!

Travel frequently for work but unfortunately only really get to see airport - hotel - office etc but for once had a few days spare to explore and take a car out....still blown away by the place in all honesty.

City life, Mountains, Beaches, Views, Foodies, it honestly has it all for singles, couples and family's

I love living in Blighty but id move to this place in a heartbeat given the chance

Anywhere in particular in Oregon? Looks good 

23 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Anywhere in particular in Oregon? Looks good 

I was based in Portland which has a very cool, hip city vibe with an incredible food and drink scene.

If your happy to drive then within an hour your on some of the most scenic easy driving roads and Mount Hood National park (incredible)

Was taken to a very funky little town I think called Eugine which was a smaller more quaint Portland really and is also closer to the Oregon coast and the Pacific Coast Highway drive as its further out West (I think)

Went to Cannon beach which was massively recommended but  didn't get to spend as long as was needed to appreciate the town.

Honestly mate I know I'm sounding like I'm part of the tourist board for the place lol  but id never given it a thought to visit but now in love with the place and without a doubt my favourite place in the US by a country mile.

5 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

I was based in Portland which has a very cool, hip city vibe with an incredible food and drink scene.

If your happy to drive then within an hour your on some of the most scenic easy driving roads and Mount Hood National park (incredible)

Was taken to a very funky little town I think called Eugine which was a smaller more quaint Portland really and is also closer to the Oregon coast and the Pacific Coast Highway drive as its further out West (I think)

Went to Cannon beach which was massively recommended but  didn't get to spend as long as was needed to appreciate the town.

Honestly mate I know I'm sounding like I'm part of the tourist board for the place lol  but id never given it a thought to visit but now in love with the place and without a doubt my favourite place in the US by a country mile.

We were looking at Portland and then out to Yellowstone etc... seems a fantstic bit of the US and not overrun from what ive heard.

Although ive also heard i have to be a hipster to be allowed in? :)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Does anyone have experience of getting connecting flights from Paris CDG and how easy it is?

1h30 layover on the way out and 4h20 on the way back

Heading there from Brum and then going long haul.

Ta.

if you're lucky you'll miss your connection, get a free hotel and meal and get enough compensation that your whole trip was free

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ozleicester said:

We were looking at Portland and then out to Yellowstone etc... seems a fantstic bit of the US and not overrun from what ive heard.

Yellowstone is amazing. Never forget random Bison just walking in the road, massive things. The geysers and hot pools are great as well. 

Would love to go back to Montana one day.

• Like 1

On 02/10/2019 at 03:03, ozleicester said:

It is incredible, not sure if I was lucky with timings or not but many of the roads it seemed I had to myself which just added to the whole thing and the only remotely busy area I came across was the downtown Portland area but that I only found was for the real hipster cafe's and food trucks etc.

It certainly does have the whole hipster vibe down in certain areas especially some of the smaller little towns off the beaten path which I actually really enjoyed and didn't find it ott. The busier popular areas like Portland feels very much like Melbourne (which is now down to 2nd place on the places id move to in a heartbeat.)

Absolutely do it and the trip across to Yellowstone, some absolutely stunning scenery whichever route you take, id recommend Idaho falls as a stop off for a night or two.

• Thanks 1

This question has probably been asked a number of times but I'm currently looking at German destinations for my 'stag do' (not a traditional 20plus people, might be 6 of us max), in early Feb and trying to clash it with a reasonable chance of getting to a match. Looking at Cologne and Dusseldorf as options as flights seem cheap. Notice Fortuna Dusseldorf are down to play Frankfurt w/e 1st Feb, what are the chances of getting tickets? I know there are plenty of game options in that area so just wondering who would give me best chance of getting a ticket.

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

This question has probably been asked a number of times but I'm currently looking at German destinations for my 'stag do' (not a traditional 20plus people, might be 6 of us max), in early Feb and trying to clash it with a reasonable chance of getting to a match. Looking at Cologne and Dusseldorf as options as flights seem cheap. Notice Fortuna Dusseldorf are down to play Frankfurt w/e 1st Feb, what are the chances of getting tickets? I know there are plenty of game options in that area so just wondering who would give me best chance of getting a ticket.

@SemperEadem

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

I had my stag do in May in Dusseldorf. Its a great night out. So many bars to go to like 100's it was like going out in magaluf at night! but a lot less di*ckheads.  Tickets for Dusselforf should be easy enough to get hold of. Munchgladbach & Leverkusen are about a 30 min train journey away from Dusseldorf  and Dortmund and Shalke are about an hour.

But honestly we went to watch Bochum it was about 45 mins on the train and it was the best decision we have ever made. 22 of us went and it was quality. All 22 that went have said it was the best footballing experience theyve ever had.

Edited by goose2010
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Drop me a PM mate, sorted 28 tickets for Fortuna for a stag last month. Echo what Goose said, id be going Bochum all day long over Fortuna if most of the group are Leicester. I have looked and they are at home to HSV that weekend so good game to get to.

Edited by SemperEadem
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, lestajigs said:

Alvor Portugal Wednesday, was meant to be going corfu tomorrow, with thomas cook,😡, lucky we managed to find something with a familiar price 

Great little town, really like it there.

9 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Booked flights to Iceland for the missus birthday in Decemeber, not booked accommodation yet is it worth doing an Airbnb or hotel? i'll be there for 5 days so will take in the Northern lights and Blue Lagoon apart from that any suggestions?

Golden circle tour, go to the top of the church, plenty of winter type tours (dog sledding, snow mobile).

1 minute ago, lestajigs said:

First mate mate, are there enough bars and restaurants there without going out of the resort 

Sure,  i 've been twice around 10 years ago now. Yes there's plently and a good selection of bars and fresh fish restaurants heading down the road/main strip towards the harbour.

21 hours ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Booked flights to Iceland for the missus birthday in Decemeber, not booked accommodation yet is it worth doing an Airbnb or hotel? i'll be there for 5 days so will take in the Northern lights and Blue Lagoon apart from that any suggestions?

We stayed in the Icelandair Hotel Marina, which was ideal for all of the excursions as there was a pick up point just outside the hotel. Was a decent hotel actually, warm and cosy - just what you want after being blasted by the weather all day.

As has already been mentioned, try and fit in the Golden Circle tour - well worth it.

Been meaning to say thanks for @Costock_Fox@Silebyfox_89 and @Bayfox's tips!   

I am leaning towards Kerala/Maldives combo cause the wife to be want over the water villa and Kerala is also a hour or so flight for just £50ish so it would be a bonus to visit India and explore their backwaters on the route.   Cannot believe the prices for honeymoon packages though,  I think Bay is spot on,  honeymoons are seen as huge money-maker,  I think I will just DIY it.  

Edited by The Blur

On 29/09/2019 at 10:21, The Blur said:

I am getting married this November (proposed last March so it has been a bit of whirlwind organising the wedding)  so we have neglected the honeymoon until now.   However we are in a bit of rut at the moment in deciding what we would like to do.   My wife to be is a chilled type who is happy either sunbathing on a remote island or getting out and about.   Myself on an other hand is a bit of a neutroic and hate lazing around.   I would need to be active  (seeing the sights etc but I am happy with alternating days on pool/beaches)

Our budget is £5k for both of us and we are looking at flying out for 10-14 days either December or April half term as wife to be works as a schoolteacher.   We were considering Hawaii or Caribbean islands.   

Do you guys have any suggestions/recommendations?    I also saw a post earlier about flight prices rising,  I would have thought it would be for this month but it appears that it could carries over for next few months?  

We spent a week in Antigua and a week in St. Lucia on our honeymoon. Antigua is lovely but theres not loads to do. Plenty to do in St. Lucia we found it worked well for us. We had a week doing not a lot then did plenty the 2nd week.

Getting internal flights in the Caribbean is like getting buses. Maybe worth looking at doing a twin centre.

Because it was our honeymoon we played the travel agents a bit and managed to get both islands, internal flight, premium economy on Virgin Atlantic and a helicopter transfer in St.Lucia on the way home for about 3.5 k I'm guessing prices will have risen as its 12 years ago now. But it's amazing what work travel agents will do for an event like that.

• Thanks 1

On 03/10/2019 at 18:29, EastAnglianFox said:

It is incredible, not sure if I was lucky with timings or not but many of the roads it seemed I had to myself which just added to the whole thing and the only remotely busy area I came across was the downtown Portland area but that I only found was for the real hipster cafe's and food trucks etc.

It certainly does have the whole hipster vibe down in certain areas especially some of the smaller little towns off the beaten path which I actually really enjoyed and didn't find it ott. The busier popular areas like Portland feels very much like Melbourne (which is now down to 2nd place on the places id move to in a heartbeat.)

Absolutely do it and the trip across to Yellowstone, some absolutely stunning scenery whichever route you take, id recommend Idaho falls as a stop off for a night or two.

As I was doing lot of the research today,   I had a quick look at your suggestions which look superb.   I also notice Salem is close by,  is the town also worth a visit if you have been or is it a bit of gimmick now?

4 hours ago, The Blur said:

Been meaning to say thanks for @Costock_Fox@Silebyfox_89 and @Bayfox's tips!   

I am leaning towards Kerala/Maldives combo cause the wife to be want over the water villa and Kerala is also a hour or so flight for just £50ish so it would be a bonus to visit India and explore their backwaters on the route.   Cannot believe the prices for honeymoon packages though,  I think Bay is spot on,  honeymoons are seen as huge money-maker,  I think I will just DIY it.  

Maldives is very nice, have you looked into islands? I have only been once and got a ridiculously good deal but we went to one of the lowest rated islands (Hudhuranfushi) and I kind of wish we had paid a bit more to go to an island with better snorkelling etc.

How we got it for £1100 2 weeks all inclusive I will never know. It was when that Icelandic ash cloud was about so we even got a water villa free for the first 4 nights as they were the only rooms available 😂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Blur said:

As I was doing lot of the research today,   I had a quick look at your suggestions which look superb.   I also notice Salem is close by,  is the town also worth a visit if you have been or is it a bit of gimmick now?

Yeah I also am considering it. Might go to Seattle for a week then Portland for a week.