Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

33 minutes ago, LinekersLugs said:

Two weeks in Deauville on the Normandy coast 

looking forward to finding my great grandads grave 

dreading driving on wrong side of road in a UK motor ! 

We went to Normandy last year and loved it. Loved the beaches, the poignancy of it all, and Deauville is very pretty. 

The driving on the wrong side in your car is fine, don't worry about it. When you get back to England you'll wish you were still driving in France 😊 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

going marseille end of january. not sure why. anyone been for anything that doesn't involve football? is there anything there? is it just a big naughty ghetto? 

it is a ghetto in some places but you'll enjoy the harbour and la "canebière", worth a trop to notre dame de la garde church too

11 minutes ago, CollinsLCFC said:

New York tomorrow morning for 4 nights, then fly across to Vegas for a futher 5 nights! 

Cant wait, feel like a kid at Christmas all over again. 

Sounds great. I am going to New York in March and am now trying to sort restaurants and things to do. Do you or anyone else have any recommendations? 

1 hour ago, Unabomber said:

Sounds great. I am going to New York in March and am now trying to sort restaurants and things to do. Do you or anyone else have any recommendations? 

if you're looking for an air bnb, this one is really good, perfectly located. I stayed there 4 years ago

https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/4563717?source_impression_id=p3_1578220099_oZ%2BufxKL%2B7lNLv4M

1 minute ago, Dr Marco said:

if you're looking for an air bnb, this one is really good, perfectly located. I stayed there 4 years ago

https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/4563717?source_impression_id=p3_1578220099_oZ%2BufxKL%2B7lNLv4M

Already sorted accommodation cheers now looking at things to do, places to eat and drink etc.

Just now, Unabomber said:

Already sorted accommodation cheers now looking at things to do, places to eat and drink etc.

what I enjoyed the most:

- ellis island and the statue of liberty

- 11 September Memorial (World Trade Center)

- Chelsea market,

-timesquare and broadway (went to see the jersey boys musical which was terrific)

- natural history museum

-MET museum

-MOMA

-wandering in central park

- Empire State building

-top of the rock

2 hours ago, Dr Marco said:

what I enjoyed the most:

- Chelsea market,

-timesquare and broadway (went to see the jersey boys musical which was terrific)

- natural history museum

-MET museum

-MOMA

- Empire State building

-top of the rock

All of those. 

I did the tenement museum, lower East. Basically a guided tour more than a museum. Plus, worth strolling though Chinatown and little Italy on the way.

When you wake early at 4/5am, get up and go get a coffee at any shithole looking corner coffee shop. Drinking coffee with weary  end-of-nightshift cops, garbage collection, ambulance drivers and cleaners makes you think you are in a.movie scene

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr Marco said:

what I enjoyed the most:

- Chelsea market,

- natural history museum

-MET museum

-MOMA

- Empire State building

-top of the rock

I'm going at the end of the month. Thanks for the tips. Been before back in 2011. Staying in Chelsea so will check the market out. 

4 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Not at the moment. For NY we are planning on eating fast food mainly, pizza slices for lunch and some typical NY deli's. As we only have 4 days, we want to try and be quick and save as much time as possible and roll as much money over for Vegas. Will post if I do find anything decent and recommendable!  

3 hours ago, Unabomber said:

I did a food tour of Little Italy and Nola (I might have got that second area completely wrong) which was quite cool.

I went to a gastro pub called The Spotted Pig which has a Michelin star and wasn’t too expensive, very nice burger. 

If you want a really posh meal I’ve been to River Cafe a couple of times. The food is great and the setting directly under the Brooklyn Bridge with the Sky line in the backround is very special.

I can’t really remember any bars/pubs that we went in but remember to take your ID out with you even if you are clearly of drinking age. If I remember any of the names I’ll give you a shout.

Edit: it’s Nolita not Nola.

Edited by Costock_Fox

29 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I did a food tour of Little Italy and Nola (I might have got that second area completely wrong) which was quite cool.

I went to a gastro pub called The Spotted Pig which has a Michelin star and wasn’t too expensive, very nice burger. 

If you want a really posh meal I’ve been to River Cafe a couple of times. The food is great and the setting directly under the Brooklyn Bridge with the Sky line in the backround is very special.

I can’t really remember any bars/pubs that we went in but remember to take your ID out with you even if you are clearly of drinking age. If I remember any of the names I’ll give you a shout.

Edit: it’s Nolita not Nola.

Cheers mate 

20 hours ago, Wrighty22 said:

Has anyone been to China recently? I’ve read that I need to apply for a visa and visit one of the embassy offices? Is there any other way to do this and what is the cost?

Unless you are going on an organised tourist group trip (in which case your tour operator can include you in a group visa), you have to apply in person at a Chinese embassy office - closest for you is probably in city of London .  

https://www.travelchinaguide.com/embassy/visa/tourist.htm

Would anybody recommend Budapest? Looking for a city break around October time for me and my girlfriend. Looks a stunning place and seems like theres a fair bit to do. Also is Airbnb good to use for these types of holidays. Thanks in advance for any info/advice

35 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Would anybody recommend Budapest? Looking for a city break around October time for me and my girlfriend. Looks a stunning place and seems like theres a fair bit to do. Also is Airbnb good to use for these types of holidays. Thanks in advance for any info/advice

I would thoroughly recommend budapest. I went for a week in September a few years ago, beautiful weather and so much to do and see. I stayed in an amazing central Airbnb there that cost me about 20 quid a night which was brilliant. I really recommend people go to budapest, dirt cheap and beautiful.

On airbnb, I've stayed using them numerous times. 1× Macedonia, 1x Cyprus, 1x Hungary, 4x england, 1x Croatia, 2x poland, x1 greece. If I'm planning a holiday it's always the first place I look unless I'm going all inclusive. Every place I've stayed has been incredible. Clean, modern, everything you need and really helpful hosts. I know a lot of people dont like it but I cant reccomend using it enough!

Whilst I'm here, has anyone been to Vilnius? Girlfriend got me a surprise trip there for christmas next month, only spending 3 days there but wondering if anyone has any must see tips.

Edited by Kopic
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Definitely, went for a few days after Christmas as you say a stunning place. Loads to do and a good transport system and all reasonably priced. Booked hotel before I left but not through Airbnb, local currency is the huff (Hungarian Florent) but loads of places except the euro but they will give you change in Huff's. Would recommend a trip down the Danube, the hop on hop off bus was also good value and stops at places of interest. The Christmas markets where excellent and really picturesque but October might be a bit early for that, climate is very similar to the UK. The toilet situation is different to the UK, at McDonald's you need to show the reseipt otherwise you will be charged, many of the attractions charge for using the toilet, coffee shops give you a code to use on the toilet door lock. Loads of restaurants, pubs and shops with traditional local and British high street brands. We went to 4 days but would have liked longer, about 40 minutes on bus 100E from airport at a cost of 900 huff (roughly £2.50) drops you at the centre of Budapest. English is widely spoken and had no issues during our visit, will definitely go back had a great time.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, smitha said:

Definitely, went for a few days after Christmas as you say a stunning place. Loads to do and a good transport system and all reasonably priced. Booked hotel before I left but not through Airbnb, local currency is the huff (Hungarian Florent) but loads of places except the euro but they will give you change in Huff's. Would recommend a trip down the Danube, the hop on hop off bus was also good value and stops at places of interest. The Christmas markets where excellent and really picturesque but October might be a bit early for that, climate is very similar to the UK. The toilet situation is different to the UK, at McDonald's you need to show the reseipt otherwise you will be charged, many of the attractions charge for using the toilet, coffee shops give you a code to use on the toilet door lock. Loads of restaurants, pubs and shops with traditional local and British high street brands. We went to 4 days but would have liked longer, about 40 minutes on bus 100E from airport at a cost of 900 huff (roughly £2.50) drops you at the centre of Budapest. English is widely spoken and had no issues during our visit, will definitely go back had a great time.

Thanks so much for that. 

46 minutes ago, Kopic said:

I would thoroughly recommend budapest. I went for a week in September a few years ago, beautiful weather and so much to do and see. I stayed in an amazing central Airbnb there that cost me about 20 quid a night which was brilliant. I really recommend people go to budapest, dirt cheap and beautiful.

On airbnb, I've stayed using them numerous times. 1× Macedonia, 1x Cyprus, 1x Hungary, 4x england, 1x Croatia, 2x poland, x1 greece. If I'm planning a holiday it's always the first place I look unless I'm going all inclusive. Every place I've stayed has been incredible. Clean, modern, everything you need and really helpful hosts. I know a lot of people dont like it but I cant reccomend using it enough!

Whilst I'm here, has anyone been to Vilnius? Girlfriend got me a surprise trip there for christmas next month, only spending 3 days there but wondering if anyone has any must see tips.

I’ve been to Vilnius however I was only there for a day and a half in total as I’d done a road trip down to there so I didn’t do masses.

I’m not a drinker so I can’t recommend any bars but there seemed to be a good choice on offer along with many reasonably priced restaurants.

The city itself is nice, it’s easy enough to walk around in a day, It’s a typical old town so a mix of small lanes and cobbled streets, along with more commercial buildings/streets nearby.
There’s not a great deal of sightseeing to do other than churches/cathedrals and the odd museum so you may have to find things to do but if you’re only there for 3 days as you said that should be plenty of time to do everything ☺️ 

Edit:

If you download the app Bolt, that’s the easiest way to travel around (taxi wise), it’s the same as Uber and it’s what the locals recommend I used. 

Edited by E.Rose
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Certainly would and I stayed in an air b n b there.

Great city and I would definitely go back, if you can go and watch Ferencvaros.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, E.Rose said:

I’ve been to Vilnius however I was only there for a day and a half in total as I’d done a road trip down to there so I didn’t do masses.

I’m not a drinker so I can’t recommend any bars but there seemed to be a good choice on offer along with many reasonably priced restaurants.

The city itself is nice, it’s easy enough to walk around in a day, It’s a typical old town so a mix of small lanes and cobbled streets, along with more commercial buildings/streets nearby.
There’s not a great deal of sightseeing to do other than churches/cathedrals and the odd museum so you may have to find things to do but if you’re only there for 3 days as you said that should be plenty of time to do everything ☺️ 

Edit:

If you download the app Bolt, that’s the easiest way to travel around (taxi wise), it’s the same as Uber and it’s what the locals recommend I used. 

Great, thank you. I quite like a drink but my girlfriend doesn't so interesting bars etc arent too high up our list. Usually I just enjoy trying the local beers from the supermarkets!

We do both quite like museums etc so that might be good. We're staying in an area called Uzupis which is apparently an independent old town, so should be a decent few days away. I'm expecting it to be quite cold, hopefully get a bit of snow which would be nice.

I actually recently got an email from Bolt giving me £20 international credit so that may sort us out for the trip, thanks for letting me know they are there as I probably wouldn't have checked. Usually always use uber wherever I am in Europe. I believe they also have one of those electric scooter rental schemes, we've used them in poland and explored far more than we would've without them, so may look out for them.

Thanks again.

Edited by Kopic