Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

Been invited to a trip to Budapest next year. Couples only. But involves the lads getting a game in. No doubt whilst the girls go shopping or drinking.

Been recommended flights and hotels but anyone got any advice on what it's like price wise for food and drinks etc.

Tied to a bit of a budget if we go.

11 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Been invited to a trip to Budapest next year. Couples only. But involves the lads getting a game in. No doubt whilst the girls go shopping or drinking.

Been recommended flights and hotels but anyone got any advice on what it's like price wise for food and drinks etc.

When I went a couple years ago, general eating out was dirt cheap. Think we paid 20 quid at most for meals and drinks as a couple. Public transport is incredibly cheap and good too. I think we got a week pass for trams, buses and trains for about a tenner. We stayed in a fantastic Airbnb for the week, cost about £12 a night. Extremely modern with all the essentials and right in the centre of the city with everything close by. We ate in a bit, the shops are really cheap too.

McDonalds is more expensive than a nice meal in a restaurant.

It really is a fantastic city and I reccomend everyone to go there at least once. We're looking at going back soon.

Edited by Kopic
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Great city with plenty to do. We stayed at Barcelo Budapest Hotel and it was in an excellent spot. 

Went in August for 3 nights and was told beforehand that it was really cheap, however we actually thought the opposite. Granted we were eating and drinking at some very decent places but anything near the river or castle and you will pay for it. Guess it’s like most cities where the tourists head. Definitely worth a visit though, can recommend an excellent steakhouse and tapas restaurant :thumbup:

Getting married in August next year so starting to look for honeymoon destinations.

I saw a couple of pages back that someone recommended Mauritius which is somewhere we've considered. 

I think what we will do is maybe a week somewhere of chilling out and relaxing and then come back for a bit before going on a 2 week stint somewhere. I've seen earlier in this thread people talk about Philippines and Cambodia - I assume these places are well worth a visit and there's plenty to do around there? My partner and I prefer to be moving about doing stuff than just chilling all day. But for the first part we like the idea of just living in luxury for once. Any suggestions for either leg of the honeymoon would be appreciated? Especially more detail on Philippines and Cambodia.

17 hours ago, Lcfc_lass10 said:

Great city with plenty to do. We stayed at Barcelo Budapest Hotel and it was in an excellent spot. 

Went in August for 3 nights and was told beforehand that it was really cheap, however we actually thought the opposite. Granted we were eating and drinking at some very decent places but anything near the river or castle and you will pay for it. Guess it’s like most cities where the tourists head. Definitely worth a visit though, can recommend an excellent steakhouse and tapas restaurant :thumbup:

I think I was there a similar time and I didn’t find it to be cheap either.

You can no doubt find cheap bars and restaurants but the popular places that you would want to go to aren’t cheap.

2 hours ago, Simi said:

Getting married in August next year so starting to look for honeymoon destinations.

I saw a couple of pages back that someone recommended Mauritius which is somewhere we've considered. 

I think what we will do is maybe a week somewhere of chilling out and relaxing and then come back for a bit before going on a 2 week stint somewhere. I've seen earlier in this thread people talk about Philippines and Cambodia - I assume these places are well worth a visit and there's plenty to do around there? My partner and I prefer to be moving about doing stuff than just chilling all day. But for the first part we like the idea of just living in luxury for once. Any suggestions for either leg of the honeymoon would be appreciated? Especially more detail on Philippines and Cambodia.

A year ago today I landed in Cambodia for 2 weeks, I’ll post details later as I’m in the gym but I saw loads of the country.

So, I started out by spending a week in Siem Reap but that was because I was helping to build a school. If I hadn’t been doing that I probably would have stayed there for 3/4 days which is plenty of time to see Angkor Wat, explore the town and relax etc.

I then got a coach to Battambang and only stayed for 1 night, if you can stay for a couple. There you have the bamboo train which is worth a trip to if you can ignore the hard sell when you get to the other end and turn around. We went to the killing cave and Bat cave which I thoroughly recommend, the bat cave literally has millions of bats that leave in a constant stream that lasts over an hour. The top of the hill has a temple and loads of monkeys if I remember rightly. The Tuk Tuk driver took us on a decent tour including another random tree that was absolutely covered by fruit bats as well.

I wish we had an extra night in Battambang.

We then spent a couple of nights in Phnom Pen and that is a crazy city. Worth a visit but 2 nights is more than enough.

We got a coach to Mondulkiri to an elephant sanctuary called Mondulkiri project and I would recommend going just for that. They rescue elephants used for farming and tourism to let them roam their land. You get to feed all of the elephants by hand and bath them in a river which was incredible.

I loved it over there and would recommend it to anyone. If I had gone in the dry season I would have gone to the islands there or in Thailand to chill for a few days as well so I would say to look at them if you are planning a relaxing week somewhere as well.

Edited by Costock_Fox
  • Like 1

On 22/09/2019 at 09:36, Mint_Fox said:

Considering going this time next year, appreciate it if let us know what you think. Cheers 

Hi Mint.  Sorry for the delay in responding but had a quick turnaround before our next trip.

We stayed just outside of Ajaccio - where the airport is.  Ajaccio is the capital of the south and the old town where we stayed had typical narrow streets that you find in the Med, close to the cathedral and Napoleon's house (he was born there but wasn't there for long).  There are lots of bars and places to eat along the front.  Food prices were ok and the food was good.  Drinks were good, paying more for wine and beer was about 8 euros a pint, but the local beer was good and the micro pub beer v good.

The local beech was ok, but you can walk to others too if you don't mind walking or you can get the bus all along the coast.  All these beaches were v good and were either quiet or busier with lots of facilities.  The bus terminates at Parata, where there is a the first of the watch towers and a visitors center.  You can walk all around the coast here and take a boat trip around the Sanguinaires islands, each with watch towers too and local wildlife. You can watch the sun go down from the only bar/eatery in Parata.  There are also boats trips here from Ajaccio to the islands - we took the late one to watch the sunset, which included lots of free wine and charcuteries.  Prices were reasonable.

We took a train trip to the town of Corte up in the mountains in the center of the island.  Well worth the price just for the single track journey through the mountains and countryside, over narrow bridges and through lots of tunnels through the mountains.  Great views. Corte is worth a visit for it's history and old town.

Corica is smaller than it's neighbour Sardinia, but it takes much longer to get around due to the mountains, single track railway and the bus service. We limited ourselves to the south as we were there for just a week, so next time we'll drive and stay over in different parts of the island.   

Hope that helps but pm me if you need more info.

Cheers

• Like 1

Anyone got any advice for booking a twin centre in Florida, want to do 1 week at the parks then a week on the coast. Clearwater etc.

The package companies are well expensive then still got park tickets on top.

Anyone got any experience of using decent websites for booking villas direct, best car hire companies and any tips on flights, is it cheaper to go via Europe etc.

Any tips appreciated. Was expecting it too be expensive but 8 grand for 2 weeks holiday when you are essentially self catering is steep.

19 hours ago, Vince Vega said:

Hi Mint.  Sorry for the delay in responding but had a quick turnaround before our next trip.

We stayed just outside of Ajaccio - where the airport is.  Ajaccio is the capital of the south and the old town where we stayed had typical narrow streets that you find in the Med, close to the cathedral and Napoleon's house (he was born there but wasn't there for long).  There are lots of bars and places to eat along the front.  Food prices were ok and the food was good.  Drinks were good, paying more for wine and beer was about 8 euros a pint, but the local beer was good and the micro pub beer v good.

The local beech was ok, but you can walk to others too if you don't mind walking or you can get the bus all along the coast.  All these beaches were v good and were either quiet or busier with lots of facilities.  The bus terminates at Parata, where there is a the first of the watch towers and a visitors center.  You can walk all around the coast here and take a boat trip around the Sanguinaires islands, each with watch towers too and local wildlife. You can watch the sun go down from the only bar/eatery in Parata.  There are also boats trips here from Ajaccio to the islands - we took the late one to watch the sunset, which included lots of free wine and charcuteries.  Prices were reasonable.

We took a train trip to the town of Corte up in the mountains in the center of the island.  Well worth the price just for the single track journey through the mountains and countryside, over narrow bridges and through lots of tunnels through the mountains.  Great views. Corte is worth a visit for it's history and old town.

Corica is smaller than it's neighbour Sardinia, but it takes much longer to get around due to the mountains, single track railway and the bus service. We limited ourselves to the south as we were there for just a week, so next time we'll drive and stay over in different parts of the island.   

Hope that helps but pm me if you need more info.

Cheers

Cheers mate much appreciated 

9 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Anyone got any advice for booking a twin centre in Florida, want to do 1 week at the parks then a week on the coast. Clearwater etc.

Anyone got any experience of using decent websites for booking villas direct, best car hire companies and any tips on flights, is it cheaper to go via Europe etc.

Any tips appreciated. Was expecting it too be expensive but 8 grand for 2 weeks holiday when you are essentially self catering is steep.

Skyscanner.net for flights

Booking.com for hotels

Simple and will get you the lowest price possible cutting out any middle men.

21 hours ago, Bayfox said:

Skyscanner has some really cheap connecting flights to the US. We saved £600 doing it like this.

However it was a shambles. They lost our case in Dallas and we didn't make our connection in Chicago causing a 28 hour delay. This was American Airlines and apparently they're renowned for this type of thing especially suitcases going missing.

• Sad 1

Probably going to a European City in November but I don’t know where yet. The criteria is that it has to be mega cheap and Ryanair need to fly there.

The ones I’m thinking of at the minute are Turin (same weekend as Juve AC) Genoa (Sampdoria Atalanta), Riga or Vilnius.

Any thoughts on any of them?

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Probably going to a European City in November but I don’t know where yet. The criteria is that it has to be mega cheap and Ryanair need to fly there.

The ones I’m thinking of at the minute are Turin (same weekend as Juve AC) Genoa (Sampdoria Atalanta), Riga or Vilnius.

Any thoughts on any of them?

From my albeit limited knowledge of Italy, id say it wouldn't fall into the 'mega cheap' category.

On 09/10/2019 at 09:43, Bayfox said:

You can definitely do cheaper than that! If you want to do Clearwater and Orlando, it would be worth looking at BA for flights - you could do a multi city trip and fly into Orlando and then out of Tampa (or visa versa). There’s a group on Facebook called It’s Orlando time that has a subsection specifically devoted to villa rentals - they vet everyone before them being allowed on the page, making sure they have the necessary registrations in place, etc. Other options are Airbnb or vrbo. Might be worth looking at a townhouse rather than a villa to save a bit of money. 

Hotels wise I always use either booking.com or hotels.com

• Like 1

On 06/10/2019 at 17:23, Bayfox said:

I go once a year or so - would definitely advise you look at a map, get a little familiar with the districts and then have a look at Airbnb.

I always find restaurants really good value and you can eat and drink well without spending a fortune. Public transport is easy - colour coded and easy to follow. buy a daily/weekly ticket - cheap as chips.

Pretty elegant city, lots to do. Enjoy!