Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 17/06/2018 at 20:19, Unabomber said:

After seeing some posts on here I have decided to go to Annecy next year. Will get the train down but does anyone have any hotel recommendations? I am thinking of Airbnb atm

great decision mate, you'll love it. 

I've only ever driven down and stayed on Eurocamp sites so don't know much about hotels in the area. I think you'd do very well to look at airbnb though - I've checked before and there's some great looking places about.

I wouldn't necessarily worry too much about getting an apartment right in the centre of Annecy - there's lots of villages dotted about the lake and transport between them seems decent. 

will you hire a car when you get there?

On 13/06/2018 at 19:04, The Guvnor said:

Didn't realise Greece now charge an overnight tax in their hotels to be paid to the hotel owner, I believe its an incremental charge depending on the grade of your hotel, 4 euro's per room per night for us.

So turkey have you with the £20 visa charge, now Greece, aren't we missing a trick here?

Just got back from visiting a few Greek islands.  The charge was just 50 cents per night, although one owner refused to pass this on to his customers.  I don't think it's much extra to pay really.  We used different types of accommodation, but the rate was the same. 

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, walkerleeds said:

Any recommendations for the Balkan region? 

Got plenty of recent history so wondered if anyone's been around those parts and has any tips on where to go/ see? 

Lived there for six years and travelled around pretty much all of it. Happy to send a PM if you have places in mind. Croatia's the most accessible (but not really the Balkans), Bosnia the most naturally beautiful (and incredibly friendly), Albania best beaches, Serbia is the most fun, Macedonia the weirdest and wildest and Bulgaria has the most interesting historical monuments (in my humble opinion) and great nature.

In terms of cities, Belgrade is good, Sarajevo beautiful and Sofia and Thessaloniki are great bases. Skopje is interesting in a slightly disturbing and depressing way. Zagreb and Trieste are interesting in a very mitteleuropean, just-on-the-edge-of-the-Balkans kind of way and have plenty of connections to other cities in the region.

Northern Greece is also really cool and a fascinating mix.

Edited by bovril

2 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

Thinking of going New York next year for a week.

Anybody know the typical price range for 2, nothing too classy. Standard accomodation will do.

Probably anywhere from 800-1200 for flights and a 3/4 star hotel I recon.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Has anybody here ever been to Tblisi? I've fancied going to Ljubljana for years but Tblisi has come up as somewhere I now proper want to try.

Very different cities. Ljubljana's very central European. Pretty centre surrounded by pretty drab suburbs, some good restaurants and pubs. It's a good base to explore some of the country's beautiful scenery. 

Tbilisi is a bit more ramshackle, lots of faded pre-Soviet glamour and post-Soviet bling, interesting mix of styles and some amazing food. The Georgian landscapes are amazing obviously and well worth exploring. The country's pretty well set up now for hiking and outdoorsy stuff. 

In general Ljbuljana's more comfortable but Tbilisi has a bit more of a buzz about it. And more creativity. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

Very different cities. Ljubljana's very central European. Pretty centre surrounded by pretty drab suburbs, some good restaurants and pubs. It's a good base to explore some of the country's beautiful scenery. 

Tbilisi is a bit more ramshackle, lots of faded pre-Soviet glamour and post-Soviet bling, interesting mix of styles and some amazing food. The Georgian landscapes are amazing obviously and well worth exploring. The country's pretty well set up now for hiking and outdoorsy stuff. 

In general Ljbuljana's more comfortable but Tbilisi has a bit more of a buzz about it. And more creativity. 

Cheers mate! Gonna do a bit more digging but I like the sound of Tblisi, loads of people like yourself recommending the scran

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

off to lisbon this afternoon with the #lads 

41 degrees for the next few days. gonna be mid 30s when we arrive at about 10 tonight. funny. 

Drink plenty of Super Bock to stay hydrated.

Edited by Costock_Fox

going to Edinburgh next Friday for the weekend for the Fringe Festival.

Who's been? We've got a selection of acts to see over the weekend. Staying on the Royal Mile, very near to Holyrood House. 

Any recommendations of where to eat & drink - good pubs/restaurants etc. 

Benidorm for 4 nights in October, £260 all inclusive. We’ve booked because we just wanted to go away for a laugh and you can’t argue with that price. Has anybody been recently? I imagine it’s still an absolute horror show. 

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Manini said:

Benidorm for 4 nights in October, £260 all inclusive. We’ve booked because we just wanted to go away for a laugh and you can’t argue with that price. Has anybody been recently? I imagine it’s still an absolute horror show. 

If you go to the main drag yes, just full of drunken Brits on stag dos etc

Go to Benidorm old town though and it's lovely, tapas bars little streets, and very Spanish.

2 hours ago, MattP said:

If you go to the main drag yes, just full of drunken Brits on stag dos etc

Go to Benidorm old town though and it's lovely, tapas bars little streets, and very Spanish.

Not going to lie we’ll probably get amongst that anyway to be fair, we’re all in our early 20s so not adverse to that sort of thing.

Nice to know there’s also a more quiet side to it as well though, probably go for a wander round there as well. 

20 minutes ago, Manini said:

Not going to lie we’ll probably get amongst that anyway to be fair, we’re all in our early 20s so not adverse to that sort of thing.

Nice to know there’s also a more quiet side to it as well though, probably go for a wander round there as well. 

Bollux will you! lol

:beer:

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, StanSP said:

going to Edinburgh next Friday for the weekend for the Fringe Festival.

Who's been? We've got a selection of acts to see over the weekend. Staying on the Royal Mile, very near to Holyrood House. 

Any recommendations of where to eat & drink - good pubs/restaurants etc. 

Was up there a few weeks ago ...   try the Worlds End pub, which is very close to you on the Royal Mile ...   good beer and nice atmosphere.   We went to 3 other places after that, all within walking distance but I’m buggered if I can remember the name of any of them ...   :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

Was up there a few weeks ago ...   try the Worlds End pub, which is very close to you on the Royal Mile ...   good beer and nice atmosphere.   We went to 3 other places after that, all within walking distance but I’m buggered if I can remember the name of any of them ...   :)

Cheers!

Is it like the World's End pub in Camden by any chance, cos I am a big fan of that place...

16 hours ago, Manini said:

Great place ..   hugely entertaining and cheap as chips ...    I go with about 20 others and we have a ball.   Missed it this year as conflicted with another trip.   Some of my pics from last time are on here somewhere ...   everyone seemed to like them ! ...    :thumbup:

Enjoy ! 

• Like 1