Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On 27/09/2018 at 23:33, Dr The Singh said:

Buying a house, so no holidays past the one in April :angry:

Oh shush, you usually go on like 2 or 3 a year anyway considering how often you post in this thread!  :P

Edited by The Blur
  • Sad 1

On 13/09/2018 at 22:28, Costock_Fox said:

Do the Auschwitz/Saltmine tour in one day, you will want something light after the first of them and the mine is very impressive.

There is a cracking little vodka bar a few minutes from the main square that I will find the name of for you. It’s only small but it really is a very good, cosy bar with excellent drinks. 

Some great, cheap restaurants over there as well. Lovely place.

Edit- the bar is called Wodka bar.

On 13/09/2018 at 22:31, MattP said:

So it's his birthday, he's already paying and now we are sending him to Auchswitz? lol

Enjoy mate.

Seriously you'll love Krakow, cheap booze, lovely food and a lovely part of Europe, unspoilt.

Cheers guys.

A great city & like you say Matt, unspoilt.

We stayed just off the main square (Bracka) in an amazing apartment that would be fetching well over £200 a night in any other city, but we paid about £90.  The whole place is crazily cheap.  We were chucking money away.  I felt like the richest man in Poland.

Auschwitz was incredible.  I'm a history graduate & there's not a lot I didn't know about it before I went, but to see it in person is something else.  The tour guide was fantastic & I hung on his every word. 

@Costock_Fox  Thanks for the heads up re Wodka.  I've never really been a fan of vodka, but I am now.  Managed to leave without assistance - the missus not so good.

I don't know what it is about the Poles, but seriously, they are so fvcking miserable.  Not a smile in them.  Kind of understandable given their history, but cheer the fvck up!

19 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

Cheers guys.

A great city & like you say Matt, unspoilt.

We stayed just off the main square (Bracka) in an amazing apartment that would be fetching well over £200 a night in any other city, but we paid about £90.  The whole place is crazily cheap.  We were chucking money away.  I felt like the richest man in Poland.

Auschwitz was incredible.  I'm a history graduate & there's not a lot I didn't know about it before I went, but to see it in person is something else.  The tour guide was fantastic & I hung on his every word. 

@Costock_Fox  Thanks for the heads up re Wodka.  I've never really been a fan of vodka, but I am now.  Managed to leave without assistance - the missus not so good.

I don't know what it is about the Poles, but seriously, they are so fvcking miserable.  Not a smile in them.  Kind of understandable given their history, but cheer the fvck up!

It’s a great bar isn’t it, think I said before but I ended up blind falling sleep on a window sil. The next night we sat with a couple from Liverpool and the woman went from sober to paralytic in about 5 minutes.

We stayed in a stunning AirBnB, 50 for two nights lol 

Did you do the salt mine?

Edited by Costock_Fox

10 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

It’s a great bar isn’t it, think I said before but I ended up blind falling sleep on a window sil. The next night we sat with a couple from Liverpool and the woman went from sober to paralytic in about 5 minutes.

We stayed in a stunning AirBnB, 50 for two nights lol 

Did you do the salt mine?

I sensed the danger before we even went in.  I don't usually give a shit, but I was having to keep an eye on the missus.  If I had been with my mates, there's no doubt I would've been unconscious in no time.

I didn't manage to sell the salt mines to the missus - which is strange, given how much she loves salt.  She'd have been licking the walls

23 minutes ago, pSinatra said:

I sensed the danger before we even went in.  I don't usually give a shit, but I was having to keep an eye on the missus.  If I had been with my mates, there's no doubt I would've been unconscious in no time.

I didn't manage to sell the salt mines to the missus - which is strange, given how much she loves salt.  She'd have been licking the walls

Lol licking walls was encouraged. Got to be honest I wondered why i was going down a salt mine but parts of it were stunning, the main atrium especially.

• Like 1

The other half and I have both got the week off so after a couple of glasses of wine at the weekend, decided to go away on a last minute deal. Got a really decent price on a 5* all inclusive in Antalya, so heading out tomorrow afternoon. Will be good to get some autumn sun!

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 21:16, Ozwin said:

Guys, talk to me about Copenhagen. What can I do? Is it as expensive as they say? Will I freeze to death in November? Hit me.

I went over Christmas a few years back and yes it's bloody freezing, wrap up warm. I really liked it, probably not the prettiest place (though some nice architecture if you wander around) but it has such a cool atmosphere. Very chilled out, nice pace and easy to get around.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about Tivoli Gardens which is their big tourist spot. Very busy and just not worth the money. We stayed near Vesterbro which was a good spot (seen as the hipster area), loads of nice bars, cafes and restaurants. If you stay out of the city centre you can definitely get reasonably priced beer. In the centre you can pay up to £8/9 a pint.

Christiania is well worth a visit. A freetown on the edge of the city which was taken over by hippies in the 70's. Old army barracks and they basically moved in. It sways between being under state law and them running it themselves so people are openly selling drugs from little huts. And the walk round the lake is nice. Just a really interesting place.

Reffen Street Food market is great too, about 20-odd street food vendors in a huge warehouse, DJs, few nice bars etc.

40 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Lanzarote next week, could be worse :cool:

Whereabouts?

36 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

I’m going on Thursday, Costa Teguise. So ready. 

was there in May. A bit quiet but pleasant enough. There's a pub there where the gaffer is from Birstall so he'll have the football on for. I just wish I could remember what it was called.

35 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Whereabouts?

was there in May. A bit quiet but pleasant enough. There's a pub there where the gaffer is from Birstall so he'll have the football on for. I just wish I could remember what it was called.

1 hour ago, lildave3 said:

I’m going on Thursday, Costa Teguise. So ready. 

We are in Teguise too, I’m not sure where though as my wife booked it. We always do October holidays with the in laws, so if you see a broken, incoherent, unstable man with a strong Leicester accent. You’ve found me. :beer:

2 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

We're off to Normandy for half term week. Obviously we want to visit the landing beaches, has anyone been and can recommend some over others? I also want to visit Deauville and Bayeux, is there anywhere else we should visit in the area? 

Caen is an attractive place.

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

Whereabouts?

It’s more the McGregor fight I am hoping to find. I can watch the fight/football on my phone anyway but would be nice to find somewhere showing it.  

2 hours ago, Strokes said:

We are in Teguise too, I’m not sure where though as my wife booked it. We always do October holidays with the in laws, so if you see a broken, incoherent, unstable man with a strong Leicester accent. You’ve found me. :beer:

H10 Lanzarote Gardens for us! Also with in laws...

We're off to Normandy for half term week. Obviously we want to visit the landing beaches, has anyone been and can recommend some over others? I also want to visit Deauville and Bayeux, is there anywhere else we should visit in the area? 

It's a little bit further south than the Normandy region but Le Mans is also a very nice city to visit and the cathedral is super gothic looking. 

Image result for le mans cathedral

• Like 2

you definitely should visit this:

http://normandy.memorial-caen.com

46 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

It’s more the McGregor fight I am hoping to find. I can watch the fight/football on my phone anyway but would be nice to find somewhere showing it.  

H10 Lanzarote Gardens for us! Also with in laws...

That's near the front. There's a bus stop right outside if you want to go to Puerta Del Carmen.

We went on a trip up the volcano. Well worth seeing but don't bother with the meal they serve up there, crap value for money.

On 01/10/2018 at 15:00, baker11 said:

Caen is an attractive place.

On 01/10/2018 at 15:25, lifted*fox said:

It's a little bit further south than the Normandy region but Le Mans is also a very nice city to visit and the cathedral is super gothic looking. 

Image result for le mans cathedral

On 01/10/2018 at 15:27, Dr Marco said:

you definitely should visit this:

http://normandy.memorial-caen.com

Cheers all, that's helpful. I thought at first that maybe @baker11 might be taking the piss about Caen, it's only ever been somewhere I've driven through! It does look lovely though and we will have the last day to explore before we get the late afternoon boat home, we'll definitely be visiting the museum too. Le Mans looks fab Daz, if we get time we'll have a drive down. If not it will definitely be on a list for the future.

I think I've narrowed down the best museums to visit and places to see, sadly as with most holidays I don't think we'll have enough time to see it all. 

9 minutes ago, The soup nazi said:

Going Naples in November. Did a whistle stop a few years ago and always wanted to go back. Anyone been and have any tips? Will be doing one of the underground tours i think. 

We didn't really do much of the city but went to nearby Pompeii and Mount Vesuvious instead.

Vesuvious is just a long walk up a big hill with a big hole at the top but great views when you're up there.

I thought Pompeii was fascinating and I'd highly recommend if you haven't done it before and are in that neck of the woods.

2 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

We didn't really do much of the city but went to nearby Pompeii and Mount Vesuvious instead.

Vesuvious is just a long walk up a big hill with a big hole at the top but great views when you're up there.

I thought Pompeii was fascinating and I'd highly recommend if you haven't done it before and are in that neck of the woods.

Yes we've done Pompeii. Such a great place  like you say. Only there for 3 nights so we're planning on staying in Naples the whole time. 

4 minutes ago, The soup nazi said:

Yes we've done Pompeii. Such a great place  like you say. Only there for 3 nights so we're planning on staying in Naples the whole time. 

Don't suppose you're there when Napoli are at playing at home are you? :D