Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 21:55, EastAnglianFox said:

Just back from a lovely adults only resort in Agios Gordios, Corfu...beaut time of the year to see the island.

Absolutely love flying, but fvck me the landing was interesting, by all accounts its a tiny runway and you have to come in extremely steep due surrounding water....ended up over shooting it, bouncing down 2 or 3 times, small attempt at slowing down before the pilot floored it again and took off, took another 40 odd minutes to circle the place and find a slot to land.

Bloody hell lol similar thing happened to me when going Amsterdam pilot couldn't land it due to winds or something so had to take it back up and round, the plane was shaking for a good 20/30minutes people were being sick, terrible experience. 

On 29/05/2018 at 17:55, Jattdogg said:

Staycation first 2 weeks of July.  Not taking a 5 and 3 year old anywhere far.....helllllll no. Day trips to niagara and local areas in Ontario.  Support the local economy this year lol

You going for disney?

Kids are about older now, so they prefer universal.

Staycation in Toronto sounds good though

2 hours ago, Dr The Singh said:

Kids are about older now, so they prefer universal.

Staycation in Toronto sounds good though

Nah want to get away from the city area as its there all year round. Get around the wildnerness of ontario :)

2 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Nah want to get away from the city area as its there all year round. Get around the wildnerness of ontario :)

I always fancied spending some time canoeing around some of the provincial parks.

How are your paddling skills, Jatt?

Was talking to my friend earlier this week and we have decided to give Vietnam a try. I thought it was a strange location but looking at photos and hearing another friends experiences it sounds perfect. 

We were thinking of booking flights and having a cheapish base, close to the capital where we can dump our stuff and then spending time with just a back pack and going off for a few days to various locations. 

Has anyone ever been there or done this? Im a bit nervous as it seems there is high crime in the major city's and the places we have looked at visiting are off the beaten track. It just seems so interesting and very beautiful. 

54 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Was talking to my friend earlier this week and we have decided to give Vietnam a try. I thought it was a strange location but looking at photos and hearing another friends experiences it sounds perfect. 

We were thinking of booking flights and having a cheapish base, close to the capital where we can dump our stuff and then spending time with just a back pack and going off for a few days to various locations. 

Has anyone ever been there or done this? Im a bit nervous as it seems there is high crime in the major city's and the places we have looked at visiting are off the beaten track. It just seems so interesting and very beautiful. 

Been to over 30 countries (wankerish thing to say I know) but Vietnam is one of my favourites so I'd def reccommend it. Went in 2016 and the below is what i posted on it at the time which may or may not help.

On 29/05/2016 at 07:42, Nalis said:

I agree with Dodgy Bob on Vietnam, I went for two weeks in the start of May and would definitely recommend it.

(Deep breath)

We did Ha Long Bay, Sapa and Hanoi in the North, Hue and Hoi An in the centre and HCM City and just a day trip to the Mekong Delta.

Favourite part was Sapa closely followed by Ha Long Bay. Sapa (north Vietnam - mountainous region) was amazing but it's a ball ache to get to (overnight trains from Hanoi that get you in at 5.45am/4am to Sapa/Hanoi either way).

Ha Long Bay - Boat trips, floating villages, thousands of very small islands

Sapa -Mountains and valleys, lots of walking/hiking.

Hanoi - Less developed than HCM but more authentic in my view.

Hue - Ancient capital, cool templates, near the DMZ re: Vietnam war.

Hoi An - Cool old town lit up with lanterns in the evening. Beaches 5km away. Loads of tailored clothes shop.

HCM City - More developed than anywhere else in Vietnam. The 'palace' (it's an old government building, not a palace) is interesting. Can't remember the name of the backpacker area, but if you like somewhere like Bangkok (not really my thing) you'll love it.

Mekong Delta - Cool scenery, mostly on a boat/canoe. Went to Ben Tre rather than My Son for day trip to get away from the crowd.

I don't regret anything we did but some parts felt a little less relaxed as we were always on the move so you'd really need 3 weeks.

But if you are stuck with two, weigh up what's most important for you (beaches / cities, partying etc) and then base things around that. We werent crazy for the beach so just did a day at the beach near Hoi An but there is Danang (45 mins from Hoi An) and Nha Trang (wasn't there but heard it was nice by others there) which have pretty nice beaches.

Beers are surprisingly alright there.

Internal flights are dirt cheap, we paid roughly USD25 per person per flight with Vietnam Airlines. The planes are better than any budget airline in the UK/Ireland too!

2 hours ago, Buce said:

I always fancied spending some time canoeing around some of the provincial parks.

How are your paddling skills, Jatt?

Provincial parks are always great in the summer. Paddling skills are decent. You won't catch me white water rafting though lol.

Canoeing I'm game for. Its nice to just enjoy nature without electronics. Rough ot out a little although with kids  might have to be more urban with our approach lol

3 hours ago, Harry96 said:

What’s to do in ontario 

Lots to do just depends on what you want to do and where you want to go. Remember ontario is like 8 times the size of england although granted most is bush lol.

https://www.summerfunguide.ca

https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/ontario

Google is your best bet lol

I grew up in hamilton pretty much so was always around waterfalls,niagara region amd the gta but its always nice to head up north or even across the border to vermont and northern newyork state.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Been to over 30 countries (wankerish thing to say I know) but Vietnam is one of my favourites so I'd def reccommend it. Went in 2016 and the below is what i posted on it at the time which may or may not help.

Thank you so much for that post (i copied and pasted to my friend) .. very informative. It does seem such a diverse and amazing country. I am bit excited to go. We are looking at a 3 week holiday, since the most expensive part seems to be the flying so may aswell push the extra week 

3 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Thats sounds nice ..   where are you going ? ..   and what time are you leaving ?

Thanks for asking mate ...   yep we are off to the Norwegian fee-ords and are just cruising out of Southampton as we speak !! ...   :thumbup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Thats sounds nice ..   where are you going ? ..   and what time are you leaving ?

43 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Thanks for asking mate ...   yep we are off to the Norwegian fee-ords and are just cruising out of Southampton as we speak !! ...   :thumbup:

I think there's a general assumption that you're on holiday 24/7/52, mate.

On 06/05/2018 at 20:30, Russell sprout said:

Off to alcudia in Majorca in July with the wife and kids,

staying at club Mac resort,

has anyone been there befour,

would appriciate any info

Hi buddy, i went 2012  in September,  

It has a really nice beach, jumping of the pier into the sea  is pretty cool lol  , night time not to busy,but  nice for family’s though good family entertainment pubs, suggest you go to the Wild West water park it’s near magaluff, but they do coach day trips from alculdia, 

Edited by lestajigs

Pulpit Rock ...   famous landmark that people like to hike to ...    you can just make out the ant people on it ...

You ever thought of hiking through Norway Bucey ? ...   a beautiful unspoilt place with some amazing scenery ...

7967E631-7324-4EF8-8217-A1A440D04E46.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Have arrived in Stavanger ...    that’s our ship below ..  the big one in the middle ...   nice place but a tad expensive ..  

F2249CF1-0CC1-48E3-8DD1-6EF7FBD36A99.jpeg

That’s Scandinavia for you.

6 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Pulpit Rock ...   famous landmark that people like to hike to ...    you can just make out the ant people on it ...

You ever thought of hiking through Norway Bucey ? ...   a beautiful unspoilt place with some amazing scenery ...

7967E631-7324-4EF8-8217-A1A440D04E46.jpeg

I spent several weeks hiking there one summer in the late eighties, CF.

Absolutely stunning scenery, but expensive as you say.

2 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Have arrived in Stavanger ...    that’s our ship below ..  the big one in the middle ...   nice place but a tad expensive ..  

F2249CF1-0CC1-48E3-8DD1-6EF7FBD36A99.jpeg

How did you get that high up to take the photo? :dunno:

• Haha 1

On 01/06/2018 at 23:08, Suzie the Fox said:

On 02/06/2018 at 00:05, Nalis said:

I'll back Nalis up,  in fact I think his original post was addressed to me.   However I would recommend going to Cat Ba island then visiting Halong Bay from that side instead of sailing from Hanoi as it is far less crowded and touristy.  I also recommend going to Dalat and taking one of their motorcycle tours as well.

Secondly- make sure you do not go during Tet festivities (their version of New Year) but I think you are safe as it occurs during Feb off my head but best check to be safe.   This is because loads of people go home to their families to celebrate so public transport etc get shut down.   I flew out two days before Tet but could see public transport were becoming bit more limited which meant I had to cut Sapa and Tam Coc along with My Son expedition which was bit gutting.  

I do not think it would be possible to have a 'base' in Vietnam,  you will get far more better experience if you travel through the country.  It is a hell of a country!

Edited by The Blur
  • Thanks 1