Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Thommo

Has Anyone Booked a Holiday Yet?

1 hour ago, Merging Cultures said:

Off to Mauritius in a few months. Pretty easy to get to from here so looking forward to it.

I went Mauritius 8 years ago, we were up in a place called Grand Baie. 

Amazing hotel with a stunning beach, plenty of fishing to be done whilst there. Karen Brady & Paul Peschisolido were staying in our hotel as well at the time. 

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Any Scottish Foxes at all? 

Up up to the outskirts of Edinburgh on Friday for a week

Not Scottish but go up there most weekends because of family and friends. I know Glasgow and the West Coast more though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Cool.

I'm heading in the other direction, back down to Englandshire.

I have lived in Edinburgh (years ago) and I'm there fairly regularly for work.

I would always recommend walking up Arthur's Seat, the big hill in Edinburgh. On a clear day you get a stunning view over the city and the surrounding area.

Likewise, go over the new Bridge and take in the views at North Queensferry.

Some cracking streets full of pubs.  Always enjoyed the Rose Street, Grassmarket and Royal Mile crawls.

Ask for salt and sauce on your chips. It's disgusting.  :P

Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

Off to Venice on Friday for a romantic 4 nights .   

Any tips on what to Do, what to avoid, places to go etc. Good bar to watch champions league final on sat. Hotel is in st marks square and I'm told it's pretty expensive around there ?

If you are planning to go on a gondola, try the smaller side canals not the larger ones or the Grand Canal (which are very expensive!).  You can haggle more easily over prices and / or ask for a shorter ride for a smaller price.  Do all the tourist sights - well worth it.  We stayed in Treviso and caught the train in to Venice - much cheaper for everything and worth a visit.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

Any tips on what to Do, what to avoid, places to go etc. Good bar to watch champions league final on sat. Hotel is in st marks square and I'm told it's pretty expensive around there ?

San Marco Campanile was shut for repairs when I was there and it was one place we knew of for getting a view from up high. However we just completely stumbled across a shopping centre that had a free viewing balcony up at the top, similar height to the campanile but was free. Shopping centre is called T Fondaco Dei Tedeschi, its right by Rialto Bridge so you get views down the grand canal and as luck would have it it was sunset as we found this place by accident, can't recommend it enough for the views!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

Real Mary Kings close is a very enjoyable tour in the city itself

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

Take the trip out to Murano and watch glass blowing, get a multi pass for the river bus things, plan to get lost walking round (and enjoy it), there is a lovely park at one end that is good for peace and quiet. the natural history museum is quite neat, definitely haggle over the gondola (If you cant afford it.. the "Tragettho" is a cheap option to get the feel)*

*All this is from 7 years ago memory so change is possible :)

Edited by ozleicester
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

I agree on the above advice. Murano's very nice, the Duomo is one of the oldest buildings in Venice and there's a great pub / pizzeria opposite it. The lesser-known parts of Venice like Canareggio are full of relaxed streets, little cafes, authentic restaurants and beautiful churches where you won't get ripped off.

I've spent a lot of time there and put quite a few recommendations of places to eat / drink / see elsewhere in the thread. Can PM you if you want. 

Edited by bovril
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, broughtonblue said:

If you have enough time,  take a day trip to Verona (the setting for Romeo and Juliet-you can visit the balcony that inspired the famous balcony scene) for alternative landscape to Venice.  It is about 20 euros return and take about a hour and half on the train.  

• Like 1

Just back from a lovely adults only resort in Agios Gordios, Corfu...beaut time of the year to see the island.

Absolutely love flying, but fvck me the landing was interesting, by all accounts its a tiny runway and you have to come in extremely steep due surrounding water....ended up over shooting it, bouncing down 2 or 3 times, small attempt at slowing down before the pilot floored it again and took off, took another 40 odd minutes to circle the place and find a slot to land.

1 minute ago, EastAnglianFox said:

Just back from a lovely adults only resort in Agios Gordios, Corfu...beaut time of the year to see the island.

Absolutely love flying, but fvck me the landing was interesting, by all accounts its a tiny runway and you have to come in extremely steep due surrounding water....ended up over shooting it, bouncing down 2 or 3 times, small attempt at slowing down before the pilot floored it again and took off, took another 40 odd minutes to circle the place and find a slot to land.

Yeah, I'd have shat myself :o

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

Looking at Florida in Easter, don't know whether to wait for the flight prices to drop

Staycation first 2 weeks of July.  Not taking a 5 and 3 year old anywhere far.....helllllll no. Day trips to niagara and local areas in Ontario.  Support the local economy this year lol

You going for disney?

Edited by Jattdogg

Last day at Cockenzie and Port Seton (edge of Edinburgh) today before we drive home tomorrow 

its been beautiful in all honesty (although much more expensive than I thought)

been to Edinburgh Castle, Stirling Castle, Doune Castle (on a 3 day Family explorer pass) and had a day in Musselburgh aswell as a day in Edinburgh itself and a couple of days around where we are staying. Ran out of money to get into Holyrood Palace so photos outside instead lol 

we had previously done Real Mary Kings Close last time we were in Edinburgh in 2010 (great tour to be fair) and the obligatory Whisky tasting experience but still didn’t manage Arthur’s Seat largely due to whingey 5 year old daughter bless her lol 

• Like 1