Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

I just think when his time is up at Leicester and we analyse his record he will be proven to be a bad buy for us. As I said his defenders on here don't come up with any hard evidence to justify his transfer fee or selection and IMO they've been duped by the Emperor's new clothes.

He... isn't... a.... number.... 10. If we continue to play him there then we will never see the best of him.

I had my doubts when he was signed as I thought it was a massive risk with his age and the price. BUT.... He is being asked to play a certain role in the team, not his natural game, one that is fairly bloody clear at this moment in time to most people except you and a few others seemingly. No, he's not a long term option in that role, the role I imagine everyone at the club hoped Kramaric would grow in to. But, seemingly that's not going to happen as Ranieri doesn't see enough in him to do it.

So at the moment we're either playing Mahrez there if we have time and space and Okazaki if we need more of the physical stuff. If we instance you couldn't see how the tweak of him coming on against Watford helped us win the ball higher up the pitch, keep the ball and gain ground in their half  which helped us take a grip of the game that we couldn't first hald, then it's a pointless argument.... you'll just sit there comparing him to fecking Ozil, Coutiniho etc.

Until we sign a proper no.10 who Ranieri thinks can play that role him and Mahrez will continue in a role that neither of them are totally suited to. But, both of them do bring something to that position at certain times in certain games. We are mixing and matching as it suits.... for about the 15th time.

Well I've yet to see some evidence of his capability of all this brilliant play and he's 30 in April so will need to start showing it soon.

My opinion at this moment sides with the German football journalist who said he's a decent enough player but we grossly overpaid for him.

Do you even read what others write FFS. He's not a number 10, his game isn't about playing back to goal, linking up etc It's about. So no, you won't have seen what he did at Mainz because he's being asked to do a totally different job. Christ all mighty this is painful :nono:

Okazaki is the Emperor's new clothes.

Anyone who is critical of his contribution obviously doesn't understand football as he does the ugly side of the game and only the true connoisseurs of the game can understand this.  :rolleyes:

His tackles and interceptions are not particularly more than other players in his position, looking at other No10's in the league they are similar to Okazaki in tackles and interceptions in teams that have possession a lot more than our's so less opportunity to make tackles and interceptions. http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2015/2016/shinji_okazaki/165/165/2354/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/dimitri_payet/165/165/1103/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/philippe_coutinho/165/165/2673/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/christian_eriksen/165/165/61/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/mesut_özil/165/165/123/0/p#interceptions/tackles_won#90

I'm going to stop posting on this thread as I don't want to villify the guy as I want him to succeed as much as anyone but when I look at him I see a player who isn't going to win balls in the air, isn't quick, not very good at dribbling or with great vision and capable of picking and executing a good pass. I also can't remember the last time he looked like threatening the opposition goal.

When I asked for examples on here of what he does that justifies his place in the team I was given these two examples.

Against Norwich he won the ball in his own half, well done Okazaki but he can take little credit for the goal as 99% of the time Norwich don't concede from that position at the point when they lose the ball.

On this one (2:22) he can't take that much credit either as he gets the ball, shields it and passes to Albrighton who then does all the work to create the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZk1Mv000g

As of yet I haven't had anyone post any statistical or video evidence examples on why he is worthy of his transfer fee and isn't merely keeping his place until we buy someone to replace him in January or next summer.

I just think when his time is up at Leicester and we analyse his record he will be proven to be a bad buy for us. As I said his defenders on here don't come up with any hard evidence to justify his transfer fee or selection and IMO they've been duped by the Emperor's new clothes.

Well I've yet to see some evidence of his capability of all this brilliant play and he's 30 in April so will need to start showing it soon.

My opinion at this moment sides with the German football journalist who said he's a decent enough player but we grossly overpaid for him.

Oy !!!  ......   You said you were going to stop posting on this thread ! .....       :D

From the Merc:

"I also played like Jamie at Mainz, very fast and near the goal, sometimes I scored.

"But Jamie is faster and I am the second striker now and he is up top. I look at Jamie and he looks at me, and we are a good combination.

"Now is better, playing as the second striker. Maybe I hope to score more goals but my style is to keep going and keep going, and maybe if there is a good cross I can get into the box and score.

"I would like to score more goals."

This is why I think he was signed, as a like-for-like change for Vardy. I imagine the plan was Kram at 10 and Vardy/Shinji ahead, but as it's worked out Vardy has gone nuclear and Claudio prefers Shinji to Kram in behind Vardy, Only an idiot (I'm looking at you Gerard) would suggest it isn't working. Remember how toothless Vardy looked supporting Ulloa last year, but still contributed to the overall team performance, which is 100% of what matters.

Those of you looking for more from him will doubtless see it if Vardy gets injured/suspended/rested.

Well now we're on the same page.

We all seem to agree that Okazaki ideally shouldn't be playing in behind Vardy and that position needs to be addressed with new personnel preferably in January. 

Square pegs in round holes and all that and hopefully we'll see him in his new position soon enough as Vardy's reserve and a more suitable player to play behind Vardy.

Well now we're on the same page.

We all seem to agree that Okazaki ideally shouldn't be playing in behind Vardy and that position needs to be addressed with new personnel preferably in January. 

Square pegs in round holes and all that and hopefully we'll see him in his new position soon enough as Vardy's reserve and a more suitable player to play behind Vardy.

I'm damn certain after reading this thread that if there's one person who should be writing stuff about 'what we all seem to agree' on - its not you.

Let's be honest he works hard but his touches on the ball in what is normally supposed to be a technical number ten role have been pretty poor. I'd love to see a number ten who represents a goal threat as it would really lift the burden from Vardy.

Okazaki doesn't even look strong enough to score from 18 yards out.

I take no pleasure in 'seconding' this, but it's true.

Kramaric is a 10 and we won't play him there... what makes you think we're going to play him right up top?

I'm not tactical enough to understand 9 and 10s, if I was picking a team I would just choose the guys who were the best at putting the ball in the net. and that is why I'm not a manager, I'd still bang him up front.

I'm not tactical enough to understand 9 and 10s, if I was picking a team I would just choose the guys who were the best at putting the ball in the net. and that is why I'm not a manager, I'd still bang him up front.

Although im in the shinji is decent camp, i think people are becoming a bit too obsessed with this number 9/10 thing. Its not the only way to have a functional strike force.

I believe Ulloa should play up top, with either Kram or Okazaki behind him. Ulloa and Kram were pretty good against West Ham in the cup, so why not? Bring on Okazaki if we're chasing the game or when Kram inevitably tires.

Although im in the shinji is decent camp, i think people are becoming a bit too obsessed with this number 9/10 thing. Its not the only way to have a functional strike force.

It's not... but Kramaric is a player who naturally likes to drop deep to link up play. Wanting him to replace Vardy as the Spearhead makes no sense when you have two player who naturally already play that way.

It's not... but Kramaric is a player who naturally likes to drop deep to link up play. Wanting him to replace Vardy as the Spearhead makes no sense when you have two player who naturally already play that way.

was he banging them in in Croatia by dropping deep?

If Okazaki is better suited to leading the line and Kramaric more of a deeper forward then surely if Vardy is out, Okazaki will move forward with Kram in his old role, assuming Ulloa doesn't play.

I don't see why some people are finding this difficult to understand.

If we look at the three of them in relation to our philosophy of working hard, has Kram shown enough of this in his game to warrant a place? Okazaki, for his faults, is at least willing to put a shift in and Ulloa played well enough recently to replace Vardy. I'm not sure Ulloa and Kram would necessarily work hard enough between them though, would they?

So for me, it'd have to be Ulloa and Okazaki, the positions of which can be argued if indeed we stick with the 4411 formation without Vardy. CR may well go old-fashioned 442 with a big man/little man approach.

Archived