Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
floz

Shinji Okazaki

I put an honest opinion yesterday and got an immediate insult.

I am old school, stats can be manipulated and are mostly total cobblers. All that matters to me are points on the board. When you look back back at previous seasons you look at the table not who had the most completed passes, assists, blocks, saves etc,

Having watched and supported the city for 52+ years, I am happy with Shinji. He is not perfect, could score more goals, but it is a team game and he contributes.

In some ways, it was more enjoyable supporting when city fail, you know all who turn up care, unlike the critical miserable so and so's who inhabit this forum. I wouldn't mind if they understood on iota about the game.

We've seen no evidence that Okazaki will revert to the mean, apart from his goal against West Ham I can't recall him anywhere near scoring so some examples would be appreciated if you can think of some. Maybe three goals a season is the mean for Okazaki at Leicester?

I'd use his Bundesliga history.

If we attempt to compare it appears that his position/form is most reminiscent of his time at Stuttgart (the increased pass% but lower spg) and indicates him playing in a different role to the one he had at Mainz. His Mainz role appears similar to that of Vardy's currently.

post-9348-0-24117000-1447368526_thumb.pn

Why argue against Okazaki by looking at the hypothetical situation of Vardy and Mahrez stopping scoring? That Arsenal invincibles team would've been poor if they had stopped winning, but they didn't...

Thus far, Okazaki has played the majority of the games in the number 10 role, and we as a team are scoring goals and third in the league, therefore he is doing his job. Our team isn't structured around Okazaki scoring goals, Vardy's goal tally shows that. The idea that we are 3rd in the Premier League in spite of one of our regular starters is laughable.

I'd use his Bundesliga history.

If we attempt to compare it appears that his position/form is most reminiscent of his time at Stuttgart (the increased pass% but lower spg) and indicates him playing in a different role to the one he had at Mainz. His Mainz role appears similar to that of Vardy's currently.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2015-11-12 at 22.47.21.png

We could use some of his Mainz electricity.

I think with Mahrez and Vardy scoring the majority of our goals, Okazaki reaching double figures would be a great achievement. Not sure if that's possible with his current goal scoring form, but I personally believe he brings enough energy and quality to keep his place in the side. He just creates time and space for other people and tbh I don't really care who's playing as long as we're winning and playing entertaining football!

Why argue against Okazaki by looking at the hypothetical situation of Vardy and Mahrez stopping scoring? That Arsenal invincibles team would've been poor if they had stopped winning, but they didn't...

Thus far, Okazaki has played the majority of the games in the number 10 role, and we as a team are scoring goals and third in the league, therefore he is doing his job. Our team isn't structured around Okazaki scoring goals, Vardy's goal tally shows that. The idea that we are 3rd in the Premier League in spite of one of our regular starters is laughable.

But how many times have we come from behind and started scoring once he's left the pitch?

There's been so many results this season when we've markedly improved when he comes off and it hasn't weakened Vardy or Mahrez's scorng rates at all, so using Vardy and Mahrez's goal tallies to show Okazaki is doing well just strikes me as silly.

I don't think he's a bad player - Mahrez is a winger, not a #10, so playing him up front gives us balance, but I certainly don't think he's contributed a big part at all to what we've achieved so far and we could easily find another #10/second striker who could improve the team. Hey, it might even be Tom Lawrence once he comes back off loan.

Has anyone ever heard of a manager going in the market for a striker because he needs someone to run a lot and make tackles? lol

In the modern era of football as a club only promoted a season ago? Nice facet to have if you set up as a counter attacking unit.

If you ask the scouting staff they see a lot of Vardy in Okazaki, Vardy played a similar role last season and to which he scored 4 during our run-in. Okazaki by his own admission is learning the role which is very different from the frontline striker he was playing at Mainz.

It's been ages everyone.

How about Okazaki?

I'm busy at work so I couldn't see the game recently.

So I think Japanese player can't succeed in the Premier League.

Power ... speed... I think it isn't enough variously.

It's been ages everyone.

How about Okazaki?

I'm busy at work so I couldn't see the game recently.

So I think Japanese player can't succeed in the Premier League.

Power ... speed... I think it isn't enough variously.

Okazaki creates a polar opinion on here.

Some of us think a No10 who doesn't score goals or create assists isn't good enough to be in our side.

Others think his offensive contribution is irrelevant as he works hard for the team.

Some of us think a No10 who doesn't score goals or create assists isn't good enough to be in our side.

Others think his offensive contribution is irrelevant as he works hard for the team.

And some of us Yuta think that we are 3rd in the Prem and that Shinji has contributed to that, and that CR knows that too and keeps picking him.

And some of us Yuta think that we are 3rd in the Prem and that Shinji has contributed to that, and that CR knows that too and keeps picking him.

And some of us think we're 3rd in the Prem in spite of Shinji rather than because of him.  :)

We continue to support him on the field though whilst he wears a Leicester shirt.

I think you forget who we are. Leicester don't really have the cover in our side to compensate for the kind of number ten you're craving. Not for me anyway. We aren't particularly conventional but what we're doing is clearly working.

Not everything in football is direct. Okazaki's presence alone creates situations for Vardy that he may not have had would someone else be there - such as pulling opposition out of position for example. Assists are easily manipulated as well - didn't Schlupp get more than Mahrez last year? Yet no-one with a brain would claim Schlupp's more creative. You're relying on the finisher. There are that many different types of assist as well, some of them the pass to the assister will be of far greater significance than the assist itself. One of the most mis-leading stats going.

I'm with you that Okazaki isn't contributing enough attacking wise, but there's enough evidence from his time in Germany that he can come good in that department.

Ideally you're getting a number ten who does his defensive work, has his energy and scores/creates 15-20 goals a season - realistically a player like that is going to Tottenham. We can afford more of a Riquelme-like number ten when we're more solid as a unit. For me anyway.

Let's be honest he works hard but his touches on the ball in what is normally supposed to be a technical number ten role have been pretty poor. I'd love to see a number ten who represents a goal threat as it would really lift the burden from Vardy.

Okazaki doesn't even look strong enough to score from 18 yards out.

We can't have a No 10 that gives us three goals a season and expect to prosper.

While we're at it, could someone please stop Mahrez scoring so much? He's a winger, he's in the team to run fast and cross. Makes me really angry, we're never going to prosper if people won't learn their jobs. :angry:

Drinkwater has been excellent this season but to become a top PL player he will need to start contributing more goals and assists as I'm sure he'd admit himself with him being the more offensive player of the two CM's. His main job is to be the engine room of the team and protect the defence and link the attacks, His lack of goals aren't a concern as that isn't an essential in his role.

I would argue that Okazaki hasn't been significantly important in our team and the stats so far imply that I'm right and you're wrong.

Would we really be further down the table if Okazaki wan't bought this summer and Ulloa, Kramaric, Inler or King were added to the team instead of him?

Wow, this is amazing. Presumably if we could only find eleven Vardys, we'd be top with 132 goals so far this season. Jesus wept.

Sigh.

Some people think he's being used a certain way to offer certain things in that position. At this moment in time I think it's fairly clear he's not going to offer a lot in an attacking sense when being played out of position at no 10 (all his best stuff at Mainz did not come from that position). Ranieri is obviously trying different things there at the moment as we have Mahrez popping up in that position. But, as stated earlier it doesn't always work with Mahrez there, just as it doesn't with Shinji.

Currently we clearly don't have someone yet in that position who is going to offer both impressive attacking and defensive input (I'd imagine the perfect 10 will be quite expensive). So perhaps what you need to accept rather than getting on his back, is that at the moment it's horses for courses. If we need a battler we have Shinji, if there is more space and time we can play Mahrez.

Okazaki is the Emperor's new clothes.

Anyone who is critical of his contribution obviously doesn't understand football as he does the ugly side of the game and only the true connoisseurs of the game can understand this.  :rolleyes:

His tackles and interceptions are not particularly more than other players in his position, looking at other No10's in the league they are similar to Okazaki in tackles and interceptions in teams that have possession a lot more than our's so less opportunity to make tackles and interceptions. http://www.squawka.com/comparison-matrix#premier_league/2015/2016/shinji_okazaki/165/165/2354/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/dimitri_payet/165/165/1103/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/philippe_coutinho/165/165/2673/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/christian_eriksen/165/165/61/0/p|premier_league/2015/2016/mesut_özil/165/165/123/0/p#interceptions/tackles_won#90

I'm going to stop posting on this thread as I don't want to villify the guy as I want him to succeed as much as anyone but when I look at him I see a player who isn't going to win balls in the air, isn't quick, not very good at dribbling or with great vision and capable of picking and executing a good pass. I also can't remember the last time he looked like threatening the opposition goal.

When I asked for examples on here of what he does that justifies his place in the team I was given these two examples.

Against Norwich he won the ball in his own half, well done Okazaki but he can take little credit for the goal as 99% of the time Norwich don't concede from that position at the point when they lose the ball.

On this one (2:22) he can't take that much credit either as he gets the ball, shields it and passes to Albrighton who then does all the work to create the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItZk1Mv000g

As of yet I haven't had anyone post any statistical or video evidence examples on why he is worthy of his transfer fee and isn't merely keeping his place until we buy someone to replace him in January or next summer.

I just think when his time is up at Leicester and we analyse his record he will be proven to be a bad buy for us. As I said his defenders on here don't come up with any hard evidence to justify his transfer fee or selection and IMO they've been duped by the Emperor's new clothes.

Just been watching some videos of his time in Germany. He didn't half score some cracking goals. Diving headers, 25 yard screamers, superb flicks and tricks on his way to goal. Brilliant stuff. Hope we get to see some of that side of Okazaki soon. Of course a Japanese guy coming from Germany needs to be given a bit longer than two short months to settle in before you can even make a fair assessment. People writing him off already are plain morons. Probably the same people who wrote Vardy, Drinkwater and the whole team off last season.

Just been watching some videos of his time in Germany. He didn't half score some cracking goals. Diving headers, 25 yard screamers, superb flicks and tricks on his way to goal. Brilliant stuff. Hope we get to see some of that side of Okazaki soon. Of course a Japanese guy coming from Germany needs to be given a bit longer than two short months to settle in before you can even make a fair assessment. People writing him off already are plain morons. Probably the same people who wrote Vardy, Drinkwater and the whole team off last season.

Well I've yet to see some evidence of his capability of all this brilliant play and he's 30 in April so will need to start showing it soon.

My opinion at this moment sides with the German football journalist who said he's a decent enough player but we grossly overpaid for him.

Archived