Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I went just after it opened, over a year ago now and it was alright, you'll leave full and it's reasonably priced, steady quality food. Miller & Carter-ish but not quite as good. The building is massive inside.

Where would you recommend for a good steak in town buddy

2 hours ago, Samilktray said:

In the city centre probably either there or that 1573 gaff man!

Tell you where is good but was a bit quiet when I went in with the mrs, the Boot Room on Millstone Lane. Had a decent steak in there, great scran. Like I said though, very quiet (probably due to where it is, but filled up as we went on)

3 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I went just after it opened, over a year ago now and it was alright, you'll leave full and it's reasonably priced, steady quality food. Miller & Carter-ish but not quite as good. The building is massive inside.

Decent? That Barcelona Sausage Party is the absolute bollocks

That's what I had and it was very good actually and did remind me of eating in Barca, perhaps undersold it slightly

11 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I thought it was pretty average, I don't expect Hawksmoor standard in Leicester but I've had better steaks in Weatherspoons, the service was also awful, first time in years I wanted not to leave a tip.

Even the big brands are failing for me recently, Gaucho in Birmingham was pretty awful as well which is annoying when it's a £450 bill for three people.

Edited by MattP

@countryfox  told me there was a new transexual-muslim, with a Nottingham twist,restaurant  opening soon,

Plus job openings:  only waiters / Chefs with big noses should apply.

Apparently competition for all these theme pubs + restaurants

7 hours ago, MattP said:

I thought it was pretty average, I don't expect Hawksmoor standard in Leicester but I've had better steaks in Weatherspoons, the service was also awful, first time in years I wanted not to leave a tip.

Even the big brands are failing for me recently, Gaucho in Birmingham was pretty awful as well which is annoying when it's a £450 bill for three people.

Do you eat in The Forge much Matt?

Since moving out of Glenfield last year I have only been a couple of times since then and imo I think the food service & quality have gone downhill. 

I don’t  know whether that’s because Sam is putting all his time & effort into his new place. Old Bill is even moaning about the old original nowadays.

1 hour ago, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Do you eat in The Forge much Matt?

Since moving out of Glenfield last year I have only been a couple of times since then and imo I think the food service & quality have gone downhill. 

I don’t  know whether that’s because Sam is putting all his time & effort into his new place. Old Bill is even moaning about the old original nowadays.

Very rarely now but I've heard similar things from a lot of people I know, I don't really speak to Sam, vague memory but I don't think we got on at school lol

I use the Shoemakers in New Parks, Nags and Railway in Glenfield more than the Forge and if I eat I generally go a bit further away.

The whole food scene here is cack now, no good pub food, Troodos is closing, Sands is shutting next month after it didn't recover after cockroach-gate, we'll literally only have the Gynsills left.

Compare it to Anstey which has Vojon and Sappori and we are lagging well behind. 

3 minutes ago, MattP said:

Very rarely now but I've heard similar things from a lot of people I know, I don't really speak to Sam, vague memory but I don't think we got on at school lol

I use the Shoemakers in New Parks, Nags and Railway in Glenfield more than the Forge and if I eat I generally go a bit further away.

The whole food scene here is cack now, no good pub food, Troodos is closing, Sands is shutting next month after it didn't recover after cockroach-gate, we'll literally only have the Gynsills left.

Compare it to Anstey which has Vojon and Sappori and we are lagging well behind. 

They do great steaks for sure.

Haven't been personally but, looking at the state of some of the people coming out of The Nags - don't think Im misding too much..

Just now, Wymeswold fox said:

They do great steaks for sure.

Haven't been personally but, looking at the state of some of the people coming out of The Nags - don't think Im misding too much..

I don't eat in Glenfield, just drink. The Railway gets decent reviews on food for the prices they charge.

The Nags can be the best or the worst boozer in the World, only pub I go where a fight is more likely to kick off with the women than the blokes.

11 hours ago, MattP said:

Haha what did you have? 

I was at the hawksmoor the other week and that was £140.00 for 2 and only I drank. Well worth it though.

8 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Haha what did you have? 

I was at the hawksmoor the other week and that was £140.00 for 2 and only I drank. Well worth it though.

Apple Sausage platter for startets then two fillets and a Lamb Shank, I think they were £59.95 each, ordered it bleu-rare and an inch inside you couldn't see pink.

Asked him when I ordered the weight if the fillet was small enough to do it that was and he said yes, it really wasn't.

Edited by MattP

23 hours ago, Samilktray said:

Knight and Garter was one of the nicest steaks I've had... been twice and both times amazing. Can't stop thinking and drooling about them, going at a weekend then book in advance as it's very popular now. Nice bar at the back of the restaurant as well.... the restaurant entrance is through the book case if you wonder when you go in. 

26 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Knight and Garter was one of the nicest steaks I've had... been twice and both times amazing. Can't stop thinking and drooling about them, going at a weekend then book in advance as it's very popular now. Nice bar at the back of the restaurant as well.... the restaurant entrance is through the book case if you wonder when you go in. 

Then pop next door for a nice quiet drink in the Tavern.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2018 at 10:12, Countryfox said:

Went to the Kayal last night ...  different and quite good ...    if like me the menu gets a bit confusing I just say what I like and leave them to it ...   the squid for a starter was superb and my chicken pepper curry with coconut rice was very tasty but ever so slightly too peppery ....    all in all though a good night.    And a pint of Kingfisher is a pint of Kingfisher ! ...   :thumbup:

I've always thought the Kayal to be very average personally. And expensive. I think it's reputation outweighs its actual culinary experience.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I've always thought the Kayal to be very average personally. And expensive. I think it's reputation outweighs its actual culinary experience.

What have you eaten there? Last time I had some fish wrapped in banana leaves and it was so tasty.

8 hours ago, MattP said:

Went in Sands the other week for the first time, no idea why I hadn't been before and it was super and exceeded expectations. Never been to Troodos but I've always fancied it, when does it close?

I hate the Gynsills, hate it.

For steaks (which is my fave food) i really like the old red lion at Rothley.. think its called Miller and Carter or something now. The meat is good and the steaks cooked to your preference, and its not a bad price. 

But for a really nice occasion at a reasonable (not cheap)  price if you are prepared to travel to Melton, i would 100% recommend Sysonby Knoll. Its a small family run hotel, renowned  for its food. 

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g503960-d295870-Reviews-Sysonby_Knoll_Hotel_Best_Western-Melton_Mowbray_Leicestershire_England.html

In summer it really holds its own with garden, views and eating. Have been a few times now and not had anything other than a 10/10 meal. 

Went to The Old Bulls Head a couple of weeks ago at Woodhouse Eaves. Lovely place but was a little disappointed with the food and service. Wine was great when the waitress finally bought the correct bottle over. 

13 hours ago, Wookie said:

Went in Sands the other week for the first time, no idea why I hadn't been before and it was super and exceeded expectations. Never been to Troodos but I've always fancied it, when does it close?

I hate the Gynsills, hate it.

It has improved the Gynsills but it couldn't get any worse. Taken over by Farmhouse Inns now.

Sands is rated by everyone I talk to but he closes next month unless he can find an investor, Troodos was lovely, closes end of next month as well. Leon's lad doesn't want to do it from what I've heard which is a same, they are keeping the chippy open next door.

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

It has improved the Gynsills but it couldn't get any worse. Taken over by Farmhouse Inns now.

Sands is rated by everyone I talk to but he closes next month unless he can find an investor, Troodos was lovely, closes end of next month as well. Leon's lad doesn't want to do it from what I've heard which is a same, they are keeping the chippy open next door.

Still not tried Sameeha yet but I’ve heard good things 

1 minute ago, Wookie said:

Still not tried Sameeha yet but I’ve heard good things 

Even better than Sands and you can take your own booze in as they don't serve alcohol.