Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

Guest seanfox778
30 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Anyone got a pizza from Maurizio’s near Narborough Rd? Very authentic Italian pizzas, they do eat in on the scheme as well.

I ordered a delivery and you have to text him which is very random, even more so when he then tried to add me on Facebook. Last time I ordered anything I could eat via that method I ended up thinking I was a cloud but that’s another story. 

If you did accept his request, you’d better take down the ‘Corfu ‘06’ album. 

Went to Reds BBQ at Brewdog. I've yet to go to a convincingly good bbq in England. Not once in my life have i been very impressed with bbqs. After going to America you really do see how far behind we are when it comes to bbq food. This was similar.

Had the meat tray but swapped the sausage and pulled pork for wings (don't like either that much). So had wings, ribs, brisket, chips, some shit salad thing which was basically lettuce with slice tomatoes and mayo on top with some pickles. Wings were pretty decent. Crispy but pretty small. Malnutrition chickens. The brisket was OK but honestly I don't get why they make the slices of brisket so thick in the UK. When I had brisket in America it was cut just a tiny bit thicker than wafer thin and it was the softest juiciest meat ever. This was a thicker slice and it tasted ok and was moist in most parts. But the Ribs...oh my. I love ribs and quite a rib connoisseur. These ribs were drier than Ghandi's flip flop and tougher than a leather belt. I don't expect bbq ribs to fall apart but you really should be able to pull the bones off without too much effort. Overall 5/10 wouldn't go back but wont cry over 50%. 

31 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Went to Reds BBQ at Brewdog. I've yet to go to a convincingly good bbq in England. Not once in my life have i been very impressed with bbqs. After going to America you really do see how far behind we are when it comes to bbq food. This was similar.

Had the meat tray but swapped the sausage and pulled pork for wings (don't like either that much). So had wings, ribs, brisket, chips, some shit salad thing which was basically lettuce with slice tomatoes and mayo on top with some pickles. Wings were pretty decent. Crispy but pretty small. Malnutrition chickens. The brisket was OK but honestly I don't get why they make the slices of brisket so thick in the UK. When I had brisket in America it was cut just a tiny bit thicker than wafer thin and it was the softest juiciest meat ever. This was a thicker slice and it tasted ok and was moist in most parts. But the Ribs...oh my. I love ribs and quite a rib connoisseur. These ribs were drier than Ghandi's flip flop and tougher than a leather belt. I don't expect bbq ribs to fall apart but you really should be able to pull the bones off without too much effort. Overall 5/10 wouldn't go back but wont cry over 50%. 

The thing is with Brewdog and Reds is it’s not really Reds.

I’d recommend going to their own place in Nottingham, it’s not world class but it’s better than Brewdog just cooking about 5 items from their menu.

9 hours ago, boots60 said:

Booked Wygston's House for BH Monday for the last bit of cheap nosh.

Anyone ever been? Any good?

Yeah…. Its ok

I felt it was a little style over substance and I wasn’t  mad keen on the ‘style’ element 

The food was decent enough…. I may be being a little harsh?!

It was expensive, but with the offer should be reasonable enough 

Enjoy!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Christoph said:

Brit restaurants can't do meat like the Americans do. last I was in USA the steaks and burgers were (and always have been) unbelievable and so thick and rich, I thought about booking a bed on a cardiac ward.

On 25/08/2020 at 10:56, Costock_Fox said:

The thing is with Brewdog and Reds is it’s not really Reds.

I’d recommend going to their own place in Nottingham, it’s not world class but it’s better than Brewdog just cooking about 5 items from their menu.

Yeah i've been to that one and countless other ones in the UK and they were all similar. I don't think people in the UK get the timings correct for the smoking etc. So a lot of the bbq food here is overcooked and dry. 

If i'm honest blues bar next to the Leicester ground do better ribs then any bbq places i've been to in the UK. 

16 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Yeah i've been to that one and countless other ones in the UK and they were all similar. I don't think people in the UK get the timings correct for the smoking etc. So a lot of the bbq food here is overcooked and dry. 

If i'm honest blues bar next to the Leicester ground do better ribs then any bbq places i've been to in the UK. 

Nice, I’ll check it out.

The government scheme has been good, although annoyed me personally as we go out a fair bit and places have been unusually booked up. 

The government cut VAT to 5% until January for the restaurant trade, so the progressive restaurants will try and keep the midweek trade they have picked up by continuing to discount.

They could easily do 25% off Monday to Thursday. Sounds a very good deal and they only have 10% to contribute really and I would imagine they would be packed out.

Those that don’t use the 15% to their advantage are missing a massive trick.

Cant help but think when I see these restaurants full at the moment that we will be paying the bills ourselves through the taxes that will be thrust upon us in years to come 

• 2 weeks later...

I need a recommendation for a nice restaurant open late afternoon in the week, around 4pm ish, either Loughborough way, or in the city centre. We wanted Bistrot Pierre but that seems to have gone. Might try the one in Coventry instead, but I would prefer somewhere similar but a little more local. Any ideas anyone please? 

1 hour ago, FoxesDeb said:

I need a recommendation for a nice restaurant open late afternoon in the week, around 4pm ish, either Loughborough way, or in the city centre. We wanted Bistrot Pierre but that seems to have gone. Might try the one in Coventry instead, but I would prefer somewhere similar but a little more local. Any ideas anyone please? 

Bistrot Pierre is reopening.

2 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Is it? 

Certainly is.

8 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

That's great news, do you have any idea when? Need somewhere for the 15th October, presumably it won't be open again that soon... Otherwise I need to find somewhere else

Date not yet announced but their twitter page says ‘soon’.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Is (was, before the pandemic not sure what’s going on with buffet restaurants at the minute) the Terracotta still going? 

I remember from the age of about 9 to 13 that’s where we religiously went for anybody in the families birthday or special occasion. The teppanyaki grill was bloody superb. I think I heard they had some issues with cleanliness but you don’t hear about it any more. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

Where is the best place for a steak in or around leicester?

I was going to suggest Miller and Carter in Rothley, but I thought other people would probably have some better suggestions. Don't know if it's the best, but it's certainly decent

Looking for options for my wife’s birthday 

Must be restaurant with rooms and really good food

ideally within an hour of Leicester 

I looked at Hambleton Hall - eye wateringly expensive - £600

The olive branch Clipsham is a nice Michelin star place and is a bit easier on the pocket - but we’ve been there before (really enjoyed it)

Any thoughts?

Edited by Wolfox