Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

5 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Always stayed loyal to Istanbul but a few I know rate Effes.

Konak up London Rd is bang average.

Istanbul once took 2 and a half hours to deliver our food. Would've been quicker if it came from Istanbul. Wait that doesn't work written does it? lol

Hi all. There's a new restaurant exactly opposite Istanbul (Narborough Rd) called Bronkos/Broncos or something similar

Queues outside Istanbul were massive last week and I happened to notice this new place and crossed the road!

Peri-peri type chicken and sides, burgers and stuff.. Worth checking out as we really enjoyed it but it's in a soft opening at the moment. 

Edited by newfox1

Turkish/Persian restaurants are absolute top tier. We’ve got one near us called Classic Persian, it’s BYOB, the portions are massive and it comes to something stupid like £13 a head usually for starter and main. 

There’s a girl on my Instagram who must get an Effes twice a week and it always looks bloody lovely. 

1 minute ago, Manini said:

Turkish/Persian restaurants are absolute top tier. We’ve got one near us called Classic Persian, it’s BYOB, the portions are massive and it comes to something stupid like £13 a head usually for starter and main. 

There’s a girl on my Instagram who must get an Effes twice a week and it always looks bloody lovely. 

I'm terms of value for money I don't think you can beat Turkish restaurants. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

I'm terms of value for money I don't think you can beat Turkish restaurants. 

1000%. More back street the better for me too. There’s one over the road from my apartment that i sometimes go to if I can’t be bothered cooking in an evening, always full of the barbers that have knocked off from the market and it’s one of my favourite dining experiences for the price. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1

On the subject of Turkish,  it's not in the city but Sumac in Hinckley is a decent and a refreshing change from the revolving door of mediocre Indians the building used to house. 

As per its excellent value and generous portions, never heard anything bad about the place. 

2 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

This is true, Shishgo Mangal in Birstall do a platter for about £25 that could legit feed 5 adults, and it's really nice

Had a few bits from there the other week, came to £15 and me and the missus couldn't move after. Quality stuff.

• Like 1

On 03/08/2020 at 19:05, Webbo said:

Anyone going to partake in the govt's restaurant scheme?

Find one here https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/eat-out-to-help-out/find-a-restaurant/

There are plenty near us. We'll definitely be going somewhere tomorrow, just got to decide where.

Went to the Spice of India last Wednesday, wanted to go to the Taraj Palace but their restaurant isn’t open yet. Had 3 curry meals, poppadoms, rice, nam bread, onion Baji etc a couple of glasses of wine/beer/Coke and the bill came to just over £30 after the discount, which I thought was well cheap. 

not quite sure I’m 100% ok yet with sitting inside yet but they had removed at least half the tables so there was plenty of room to socially distance. 

• Like 1

On 13/08/2020 at 21:15, Col city fan said:

Anyone living the Blaby area, me and Mrs Col have just had a take out from ‘Chamalee’

Changed hands recently and you can’t half tell!

Really really nice curry

I haven’t had a take away from there for many years, but when I did it was always a really good curry. Has it changed hands much over the years do you know? 

4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Just back from The brewdog place, had the meat tray, absolutely delicious. the staff there are all hipsters though.

Love their beer but always found their pub priced too highly. No way should Punk IPA be cheaper in other boozers. 

Also their hipster schtick is boring - they work for a corporation. 

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Love their beer but always found their pub priced too highly. No way should Punk IPA be cheaper in other boozers. 

Also their hipster schtick is boring - they work for a corporation. 

Nearly a fiver a pint, it was a little steep, but the food was half price so I could live with it.