Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

On 29/09/2020 at 18:42, Bilsthorpe Blue said:

How about Simpsons in Birmingham last one I can recommend, the rooms are amazing

Well…. I can confirm it was fantastic…. No rooms (COVID) but I stayed at a lovely place opposite (cracking breakfast too)

Had a stroll round the botanical gardens in the afternoon…. A quiet cocktail and then 3 hours of 8 course tasting menu with matching wines…. Had all sorts of tasty plates venison tartare…. Lobster and black pudding etc.

I am not sure I’d do the wine again, but, would most definitely have another meal

it didn’t come cheap, but, I’d say it was good value…. It was better than a couple 2 Michelin and one 3 Michelin star meals I’ve tried before… so, stacked up really positively in comparison to other posh meals I’ve had….   I loved the fact that I joked that I needed a big hunk of bread to mop up the gravy and the waiter said…. Michelin star or no Michelin star this was the right thing to do and rushed off to get some bread - I felt like a pleb, but, got over it!!!

Thank you so much for the recommendation- I am really grateful (as was my wife!)

Ben

0420BDD1-6E41-41E3-A64F-9CCBE3906A8B.jpeg

7D9CBC7F-51BA-4A3F-9BD7-F8877724E206.jpeg

FDD0854E-E13B-42BC-BF60-6AD9963AAC89.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Wolfox said:

Well…. I can confirm it was fantastic…. No rooms (COVID) but I stayed at a lovely place opposite (cracking breakfast too)

Had a stroll round the botanical gardens in the afternoon…. A quiet cocktail and then 3 hours of 8 course tasting menu with matching wines…. Had all sorts of tasty plates venison tartare…. Lobster and black pudding etc.

I am not sure I’d do the wine again, but, would most definitely have another meal

it didn’t come cheap, but, I’d say it was good value…. It was better than a couple 2 Michelin and one 3 Michelin star meals I’ve tried before… so, stacked up really positively in comparison to other posh meals I’ve had….   I loved the fact that I joked that I needed a big hunk of bread to mop up the gravy and the waiter said…. Michelin star or no Michelin star this was the right thing to do and rushed off to get some bread - I felt like a pleb, but, got over it!!!

Thank you so much for the recommendation- I am really grateful (as was my wife!)

Ben

That looks great, I’m going to Birmingham in December for 2 nights (Covid permitting) we have booked Adams and a place called Craft which looks cool and seems crazy good value. If anyone else into good food is going to Birmingham I would recommend The Wilderness, very good place. 

Edited by Unabomber
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Ben

Where was the rest of it?

On 11/10/2020 at 17:35, Unabomber said:

That looks great, I’m going to Birmingham in December for 2 nights (Covid permitting) we have booked Adams and a place called Craft which looks cool and seems crazy good value. If anyone else into good food is going to Birmingham I would recommend The Wilderness, very good place. 

I spend alot of time in the Jewellery Quarter, the Wolf is Ok, Clifden is good for sports. 1000 trade is good but limited.  RocknRoll brewery is good if you like cask, Burning Soul is a really good spot.   At Paul's is a cool place

3 hours ago, boots60 said:

This thread started out as an informative source of information about decent places to eat in or around Leicester.

It has morphed into an "I am considerably richer than yow" thread for show offs & Michelin star tickers.

Just an opinion, like.

Tip of the day, don't go on the holidays thread apparently some people have more than one holiday a year😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/10/2020 at 17:35, Unabomber said:

Great pick on Adams 

7 hours ago, boots60 said:

This thread started out as an informative source of information about decent places to eat in or around Leicester.

It has morphed into an "I am considerably richer than yow" thread for show offs & Michelin star tickers.

Just an opinion, like.

Let me bring this back down to earth. 

Desford Fish Bar I would argue is the best chip shop in Leicestershire.

I love chips. 

In my years, I have tried a lot of the fine chipperies in our fair county. After having a quick cross-reference on Trip Advisor, I have had the pleasure of ‘taking away’ from several of the top rated fish and chip shops in the Leicestershire area, and let me tell you, Desford Fish Bar is unparalleled.

The chips are firm, yet with that slight limpness you desire from authentic English chips.

Servers, both male and female, massage your ego with a “Yes boss man what can I get you”.

The forks are weak, and by the Gods do they know it, if you ask for one, they give you four.

The salt? Generous.

The vinegar? Generous.

The price options list a regular and large chips. But the variation is but a filter to identify the plebs from the plums. A true pleb bosses the regular and receives a bountiful treasure of potato-y goodness unknown to modern man. The plums pay that 90p extra and receive but a pittance in comparison to the mighty regular.

The kebabery provides the finest options known to the shire of Engelbert. Halloumi kebab for the discerning vegetarians? Go for it. A lunch meal deal with meat you suspect has been sourced from an overweight labourer’s thigh? You’ve got it lad. Burgers that put the AHHH In salmonellAHHH? Course you can lad.

The prices available at this finest of fine dining screams nothing more than “I REMEMBER THE RECESSION”. You could feed a family of 10 and have leftovers for suppers for £10.

• Haha 4

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Anyone got any ideas for decent places in Leicester either doing takeaways or maybe providing ingredient box type things to cook a special meal at home?

Have you had a look at Rick Stein's menu boxes, my wife's birthday at the end of the month and tempted to get one of them

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2020 at 23:51, ScrumpyJack said:

Desford Fish Bar I would argue is the best chip shop in Leicestershire.

Well late to the party here but I wholeheartedly agree. 

Used to get battered (pardon the pun) on a lunchtime at 6th form back in the day. Solid 9.5/10 every time. 

Chris’ in Shilton is the only other that comes close for me but meant having to travel so that knocks points off. 

And don’t get me started on the “fryer” or whatever it’s called now in Newbold. Absolute pish since Chris decided to up sticks. 

Edited by Manini

8 hours ago, Bilsthorpe Blue said:

Have you had a look at Rick Stein's menu boxes, my wife's birthday at the end of the month and tempted to get one of them

Just looked at these, they do look good but id only go for the steak one and that’s expensive for what you get.

• 1 year later...