Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

4 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Looking for options for my wife’s birthday 

Must be restaurant with rooms and really good food

ideally within an hour of Leicester 

I looked at Hambleton Hall - eye wateringly expensive - £600

The olive branch Clipsham is a nice Michelin star place and is a bit easier on the pocket - but we’ve been there before (really enjoyed it)

Any thoughts?

Sat Bains in Notts fits the bill. Probably will be similar price for an outstanding meal with incredible wine with a room, it’s worth it though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Sat Bains in Notts fits the bill. Probably will be similar price for an outstanding meal with incredible wine with a room, it’s worth it though.

Really good shout…. I’ve actually been there years ago and stayed one New Year’s Eve…. Had a stinking cold and didn’t enjoy it as much as I should have done - went to be le early!

it’s looking like £500 before wine and extras - doable, but was hoping for something closer to the £300 mark really 

30 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Really good shout…. I’ve actually been there years ago and stayed one New Year’s Eve…. Had a stinking cold and didn’t enjoy it as much as I should have done - went to be le early!

it’s looking like £500 before wine and extras - doable, but was hoping for something closer to the £300 mark really 

Ouch, not good going there with not taste. I went and did the kitchen bench, pretty weird getting sloshed in the middle of a working kitchen lol.

Have you been Johns House? No rooms there though.

14 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Ouch, not good going there with not taste. I went and did the kitchen bench, pretty weird getting sloshed in the middle of a working kitchen lol.

Have you been Johns House? No rooms there though.

Yeah…. Kind of killed it not being able taste the food!

I haven’t tried John’s house yet…. Wasn’t available and has no rooms - put the mockers on that  idea….

it’s on the list and will try it soon I’m sure

12 hours ago, Wolfox said:

How pricey is the Alchemilla gaff in Nottingham up Derby Road way? That's got a star too iirc

5 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

How pricey is the Alchemilla gaff in Nottingham up Derby Road way? That's got a star too iirc

Good suggestion… Looked really interesting…. Full on the 9th October though

Will have a look another time though

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Wolfox said:

The olive branch Clipsham is a nice Michelin star place and is a bit easier on the pocket - but we’ve been there before (really enjoyed it)

Any thoughts?

Have a look at Winteringham Fields, we've been twice, on par if not better than Sat Bains, bit more than an hours drive but well worth it

17 hours ago, Wolfox said:

Any thoughts?

Black Swan at Olstead, been there as well, excellent place, bit further up north though

21 hours ago, Bilsthorpe Blue said:

How about Simpsons in Birmingham last one I can recommend, the rooms are amazing

All booked - thanks very much looks great

Have a lovely hotel opposite and doing the 8 course taster menu with accompanying wine flight…

Thanks for the tip!

Ben

4 hours ago, Wolfox said:

All booked - thanks very much looks great

Have a lovely hotel opposite and doing the 8 course taster menu with accompanying wine flight…

Thanks for the tip!

Ben

There's a Subway across the road if your still hungry, and a wethersoons just around the corner for pre or apres champers

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Zizzi's on Belvoir Street has now closed.

That area of town has been a sorry state for a good while now.

Austin Reed closed on that street a few years ago and think its former site is still empty?

Belvoir and Market Street have both taken big tumbles. Really rubbish to see.

Did feel that Zizzi was vulnerable once they got another unit by the Highcross. Suppose it did so well to keep going for a decade or so.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Austin Reed closed on that street a few years ago and think its former site is still empty?

So many traditional stores have gone around that area. Fenwick's being the biggest loss. Young's camera shop is another. :(

11 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Oh no :(. I quite often went there before evening matches. Fenwicks along there as well - all very sad.