Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ozwin

Decent restaurants in and around town?

On 15/07/2020 at 20:30, Ecdysiast said:

Sorry if wrong thread...

I grew up in and around Quorn, M'sorrel, Barrow, etc.

My Mum was a locum pharmacist who often worked in Leicester. She brought back the most amazing samosas whenever she worked in the city.

Does anyone know  a great source of genuinely good samasos that would mail-order to London?

It would mean a lot to me.

Thanks

Forgetting Corvid for a minute....Nearly every Area & Suburbs around & in London have some Great Indian/Pakistani takeawys,that do good Samosas.

Even small Kiosks or stalls...Just One example Camden-market & area..

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

Anyone going to partake in the govt's restaurant scheme?

Find one here https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/eat-out-to-help-out/find-a-restaurant/

There are plenty near us. We'll definitely be going somewhere tomorrow, just got to decide where.

Yes definitely, going to try and do it once a week while the offers are on. Itll be the first time ive ever bought a Five Guys without having to take a mortgage out to fund it 😂

3 hours ago, Webbo said:

Anyone going to partake in the govt's restaurant scheme?

Find one here https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/eat-out-to-help-out/find-a-restaurant/

There are plenty near us. We'll definitely be going somewhere tomorrow, just got to decide where.

Definitely, quite a few places are allowing you to combine offers with this, so with a tastecard which also gives you 2 for 1 meals you can get mains at some restaurants for about £2.50 which is unreal.

As expected, everywhere doing this in and around town is fully booked for the month pretty much unless you want to eat at half 9 at night which I don’t. Plenty further afield though it including our favourite curry house so winner. Good initiative I like it. 

Went to Winstanely House yesterday. Had their ribeye meal and dessert. Steak was pretty good but nothing amazing. Overall I wouldn't go there to pay full price but it was nice enough for the price we paid thanks to the discount. 

Going to try a few other places that I've been thinking of going to but thought it looked overpriced. Going to try Jimmy Prawns, Giggling Squid and that Mogowli place. All of them looked alright but not amazing and not worth the full price so will give it a chance now. 

1 hour ago, Christoph said:

Going to try a few other places that I've been thinking of going to but thought it looked overpriced. Going to try Jimmy Prawns, Giggling Squid and that Mogowli place. All of them looked alright but not amazing and not worth the full price so will give it a chance now. 

Jimmy's Killer Prawns, went there just before lockdown. Fantastic food, can't wait to go again

7 hours ago, FLAN said:

Booked a table at Grays (LCB Depot) this Friday. I’m quite excited at the prospect of getting out out 

Nice, I’m there on Saturday.

Just been for my first sit down indoor meal for about 5 months in Newark with a friend who has had a throughly shit time of it. So nice to get out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

Jimmy's Killer Prawns, went there just before lockdown. Fantastic food, can't wait to go again

I thought it was awful to be honest. Went there a few months back. Each to their own I suppose. 

1 hour ago, hejammy said:

I thought it was awful to be honest. Went there a few months back. Each to their own I suppose. 

Really? I had a mixed platter which had prawns, calamari, rice, chips and dips, £12 and it was all really nice, and my mates at the table were raving about their dishes too. Service was quick for how packed the place was

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

Pretty generous with the salmonella round there as well aren’t they?

I used to work on Grove Park and I’m pretty sure it got shut down on two separate occasions for salmonella, one may have been a rat infection actually. 

That said, harsh to judge it by old owners. Either way it’s chain pub grub that probably isn’t worth a trip unless you’re local in the area.

17 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I used to work on Grove Park and I’m pretty sure it got shut down on two separate occasions for salmonella, one may have been a rat infection actually. 

That said, harsh to judge it by old owners. Either way it’s chain pub grub that probably isn’t worth a trip unless you’re local in the area.

Yeah it did. Was only messing to be fair, it was a few years ago that happened.

4 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Oh yeah you’re not wrong though, may just be biased but I wouldn’t touch the place with a barge pole even now lol 

Has the Giggling Squid in St. Martin’s Square reopened yet, and if it has then anyone been? I went in back in late February/early March and thought it was decent, shame the pandemic hit just as it opened really. 

23 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Oh yeah you’re not wrong though, may just be biased but I wouldn’t touch the place with a barge pole even now lol 

Has the Giggling Squid in St. Martin’s Square reopened yet, and if it has then anyone been? I went in back in late February/early March and thought it was decent, shame the pandemic hit just as it opened really. 

Got a table booked in a few weeks. They were open for takeaway throughout lockdown but it just seemed mega pricey for takeaway 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

Got a table booked in a few weeks. They were open for takeaway throughout lockdown but it just seemed mega pricey for takeaway 

20 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Yeah I spent about £50 on a takeaway, was very nice to be fair but crazy price for that.

Yeah that’s pretty mad for a takeaway lol 

I guess being such a new location they had to keep the prices up. I went with the lunch menu on so it wasn’t too pricey and I thought the food was superb.

4 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Pretty generous with the salmonella round there as well aren’t they?

2 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

1 hour ago, Costock_Fox said:

1 hour ago, Finnaldo said:

They had some issues a few years ago but when I've been - and I've been a fair amount in the past few years, my mum loves it especially - we've never had a problem.

Always get loads for the money, even if it isn't posh cuisine.

Some of us don't want posh cuisine often and the prices which come with it.

6 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

They had some issues a few years ago but when I've been - and I've been a fair amount in the past few years, my mum loves it especially - we've never had a problem.

Always get loads for the money, even if it isn't posh cuisine.

Some of us don't want posh cuisine often and the prices which come with it.

I’m not from a particularly affluent background, I rarely have ‘posh cuisine’ and I’m probably more likely to go for a pub meal than an out-and-out restaurant. If people enjoy the food there I’m in no rush to discourage them but I don’t think it’s unreasonable for people to be put off eating at an establishment with multiple food safety closures in the last five years. 

As I said, it’s probably a lot better now, I’ve just been put off and it’s nothing I’d be particularly encouraged to go over for. 

• Like 1