Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

Cricket 2015

Well! They made an almighty fight of it in the end. Good job for NZ sake they threw in a shocker against a mug team as they wont survive batting collapses like that vs proper nations.

It's a shame Ireland don't have full test status yet despite now holding 3 of the 4 record run chances in the WC. How long can the big 3 cricket nations continue to feast themselves on the financial pie without expanding the game?

They have a chance to get test status if they want to. The ICC isn't a closed shop, Bangladesh managed it.

Problem is Ireland bowling at test cricket would be totally shown up. It's barely county standard in the longer form.

I think it's from 2017 that the winner of the ICC affiliates competition will play the bottom of the test ranked nations for full status.

So Ireland v Zimbabwe at the minute and I'd still see the latter comfortably winning that over 5 days.

Imagine having Kevin O' Brien taking the new ball in test match cricket. It was crucial they kept Morgan and Rankin but it would b impossible to turn down England.

They have a chance to get test status if they want to. The ICC isn't a closed shop, Bangladesh managed it.

Problem is Ireland bowling at test cricket would be totally shown up. It's barely county standard in the longer form.

It's not far off, associates have to be given more funding and test status, Ireland have proved they have every right to have test status considering the team they beat have it in perpetuity.

It's not far off, associates have to be given more funding and test status, Ireland have proved they have every right to have test status considering the team they beat have it in perpetuity.

Ireland receives considerable funding given the money the team raises. You can't just go giving out test status will nilly. Fixture list is already crowded.

Where would Ireland even host a 5 match series at the minute and should Australia, England, India etc really be forced into playing what would be totally uncompetitive test match cricket thst would be quite pointless for all concerned.

Winning one day cricket matches against depleted teams isn't an argument for test status either. We are talking about a team here who still regularly lose to County sides.

Biggest hurdle to Ireland is the lack of interest in cricket in their country.

Bangladesh have a massive cricket supporting following, Ireland do not.

The ICC are unlikely to change this stance at the moment I think. They are competent enough and would be even more so if England hadn't pilfered the likes of Morgan and Rankin but there still has to be interest in the game.

On merit and skill, Ireland deserve at least a one off Test or two against some of the Test playing nations as a sounding board to see if they can hack it.

In reality, as the ICC is run by the Indian money men (with help from ourselves and the Aussies) they'll look at the lack of £££ to be made from it and never agree.

On merit and skill, Ireland deserve at least a one off Test or two against some of the Test playing nations as a sounding board to see if they can hack it.

In reality, as the ICC is run by the Indian money men (with help from ourselves and the Aussies) they'll look at the lack of £££ to be made from it and never agree.

They probably deserve a lot more than a trial.. they need maybe 4 or 5 years to see if they can cut it and improve.. the ICC wont bother though. They just see it as a little extension of England.

They have a chance to get test status if they want to. The ICC isn't a closed shop, Bangladesh managed it.

I read an article about this in the Summer 2013 edition of the Nightwatchman (Wisden's quarterly collection of essays and long-form articles). The general gist was that there are clearly defined paths to becoming an Affiliate/Associate member but that it's all a bit hazy between Associate and Full. As a result one there's a lot of subjectivity from the ICC.

One of the criticisms was that they had no opportunity to show their ability over the longer form of the game because, at the time, the ICC didn't give the winners of the Intercontinental Cup a chaneg to play a "test" against a weaker Test side. However I've just stumbled across this, which shows that they've changed that.

The ICC has opened the door to Ireland achieving Test status in 2018 when the winners of the 2017 Intercontinental Cup - featuring the top non-Test sides - will play four five-days matches against the lowest-ranked Test team with the victors earning or retaining Test status.

That will be interesting to see.

The prime example of that is changing the next World Cup to a single group stage to ensure that there are at least 9 matches featuring India (even though it doesn't really change the number of matches/days and reduces the tournament to 10 teams). Even if you argue that some of the Associates aren't good enough it's not a particularly long-term view.

I have no problem with playing a few series against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe to see if they can hang with them but you can't expect the top nations to start cutting off test matches against each other to play Ireland, as a regular spectator I'd be furious at the proposal as well. The calender is already crowded enough.

Boyd Rankin has to be the last Irishman to play for England as well if the above happens, although as Alex says, we now have plans to give the winner of these nations a go in 2018, that's a starting point.

I used to think that Ireland should be given Test status but not sure now, they are becoming a good one day side but Tests are a different game altogether.

We've taken three? players from Ireland- Joyce, Morgan and Rankin in the last 10 years which isn't a huge amount. Stirling seems like a decent one day opener that we probably should've looked at but I don't believe we'll start cherry picking Irish players regularly.

Does Ireland have three test grounds to host a test series? 

Do they have an appropriate county/province system to back up their team? 

I think they are two massive question regardless if they win this test status play-off being tabled. 

I have no problem with playing a few series against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe to see if they can hang with them but you can't expect the top nations to start cutting off test matches against each other to play Ireland, as a regular spectator I'd be furious at the proposal as well. The calender is already crowded enough.

Boyd Rankin has to be the last Irishman to play for England as well if the above happens, although as Alex says, we now have plans to give the winner of these nations a go in 2018, that's a starting point.

No disagreement with any of that. I just think the Test playing arena shouldn't be a closed shop.

I think that giving them a chance against the lower ranked Test sides in the form of this new competition is a really good idea and I hope it becomes a regular thing.

Archived