Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Solar Eclipse March 20

The biggest solar eclipse since 1999 will take place next month.

And astronomers say there won’t be another chance to see a phenomenon like in the UK until 2026.

The eclipse – on the morning of March 20 - is set to block out about 84 per cent of sunlight in London – with parts of Scotland expected to have 94 per cent of sunlight blocked out.

A total eclipse will take place in Northern Norway and the Faroe Islands for around two minutes – and a partial eclipse will be seen for 90 minutes in Europe, North Africa and Russia.

•  

The phenomenon happens when the moon travels in front of the sun and casts a shadow over Earth.

It is expected to start in the UK at about 8.45am and end by about 10.40am.

It will be the biggest solar eclipse since August 11, 1999.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Biggest-solar-eclipse-UK-1999-place-month/story-26080199-detail/story.html#ixzz3Skl9EWSe 
Follow us: @Leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

God l don't know if many remember up evington way , think East Park road way

Some guy went loco in the eclipse and stabbed some people killing some one

Was the 1999 eclipse

Was all over national news , was a big enquiry into it

Yes, the victim was related to my now wife (although I hadn't met her, or him, at the time.

Have been keeping an eye on this eclipse for a while as it will be the biggest partial eclipse in the UK for a long time. If you want to see a total eclipse, there is a good one which will pass over continental United States in August 2017. Probably a decent chance of good weather too!

Yes, the victim was related to my now wife (although I hadn't met her, or him, at the time.

Have been keeping an eye on this eclipse for a while as it will be the biggest partial eclipse in the UK for a long time. If you want to see a total eclipse, there is a good one which will pass over continental United States in August 2017. Probably a decent chance of good weather too!

Very sorry to hear that , hope my post wasn't insensitive

Very sorry to hear that , hope my post wasn't insensitive

Not at all. I think you more or less accurately summed up the event.

Like I say, I never met the guy. I have subsequently met his widow many times who is a lovely, lovely old lady. Very sad indeed...

BBC live event at Leicester racecourse to mark solar eclipse

By atroughton  |  Posted: March 01, 2015

9570492-large.jpg

solar eclipse

Comments (0)

The BBC is staging a spectacular show in Leicester to coincide with the solar eclipse on March 20.

BBC Learning is holding an one-off event at the city’s racecourse to mark the biggest such eclipse for 16 years.

A galaxy of stars has been invited including the European Space Agency (ESA) astronaut Paolo Nespoli, who spent a total of 174 days on the International Space Station.

Paul Franklin, the visual effects supervisor from the recent blockbuster Interstellar, and Robin Ince from Radio 4's Infinite Monkey Cage are also due to attend.

•  

The BBC has chosen Leicester as its is home to the National Space Centre and Leicester University which are at the forefront of space exploration and were involved in the Beagle 2 mission to Mars in 2003.

The family-friendly day will include eclipse-related experiments and explanations, hands on ‘train to be an astronaut’ activities, telescope feeds from across the planet and the chance to quiz the experts about the mysteries of the universe.

The event, which is free, will be open from 9am until 3pm and from 6pm until 9pm.

During the day, activities will be geared towards schools and will include viewing the eclipse, finding out more about the solar system and taking part in hands-on experiments.

There will even be a special zone, in the daytime, to encourage young stargazers to get involved, featuring the host of CBeebies Stargazing, Chris Jarvis.

Sinead Rocks, head of BBC Learning, said: “It’s wonderful to be able to build on our longstanding relationship with Stargazing.

“Over the years, we’ve worked with partners and astronomy groups across the UK to capitalise on the interest that the TV shows create by giving thousands of people opportunities to get actively involved with astronomy.

“We’ve got the added bonus of a solar eclipse to kickstart our flagship event in Leicester as well as an ambitious nationwide project to get schools involved in a live science experiment. “

ESA Astronaut Paolo Nespoli said: “I’ve never been to Leicester and I’m really looking forward to visiting.

“It will be great to interact with the kids and share my enthusiasm of space, science, maths and technology”.

More details at www.bbc.co.uk/stargazing

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/BBC-live-event-Leicester-racecourse-mark-solar/story-26096057-detail/story.html#ixzz3T8P9DR00 

• 3 weeks later...

Comments (0)

Tomorrow's solar eclipse will block out up to 90 per cent of the sunlight across parts of the UK between 8.25am and 10.45am.

But it comes with a health warning.

Even looking at just the small amount of the Sun peeking out from behind the Moon during an eclipse in enough to make you go blind.

It is also dangerous to look at the eclipse through binoculars or a telescope – and even sunglasses or exposed photographic film will not protecticon1.png your eyes.

Here are several ways you can watch tomorrow's eclipse without riskingicon1.png your eyesight.

Eclipse Glasses

If have been lucky enough to find a pair of eclipse glasses that is a safe was to view the eclipse directly. There are some limited stocks available as part of a Leicester Mercury promotion.

These are made of card with special material inlaid, and you hold them up to the eclipse to view it. The special dark material in them to cut down the Sun's light by 100,000 time.

But check for damage such as holes or scratches, as only undamaged filters are safe to use.

Even though they down the visible light, it might not cut out the dangerous infrared light, so you could still do permanent damage to your eyes.

Make sure you put the viewer to your eyes before you look at the Sun.

Colander

This is the most simple way to view the eclipse. Stand with your back to the Sun and hold the colander in one hand and a piece of paper in the other. Hold the colander between the Sun and the paper and you will be able to see many images of the eclipse on one piece of paper.

Pinhole Camera

A pinhole camera will project the image of the eclipse on to card – and it is a really easy to make one.

You need two pieces of card. Poke a small hole in the centre of one of them, no more than 4mm across.

Stand with your back to the Sun. . Hold both cards up, with the one with the pinhole closer to the Sun. They should be about one metre apart.The light through the pinhole can be projected on to the other piece of card, allowing the eclipse to be viewed safely.

You can also use a cereal box or similar box. Make a pinhole in one edge. Point this towards the Sun and you'll see a tiny image of the Sun projected on to the inside of the packet. Put white paper or card on the inside to make it easier to see. Never look through the pinhole at the Sun, but only at the projected image.

Watch a video on how to build a pinhole camera from a shoebox here:

ADVERTISEMENT

Mirrors

A small mirror, such as a make-up mirror, can be used to reflect the image of the eclipse onto a white wall. Do not use a magnifying mirror. Do not look into the mirror at the eclipse as this is just as dangerous as looking directly at the Sun. Cover the mirror with paper in which you have made a hole no more than 5mm across. Stand with your back to the eclipse. Use the mirror to reflect an image of the Sun onto a light-coloured wall, being careful not to reflect the sunlight into anyone's eyes. This works well when you are about 5m away from the wall. The smaller the mirror and the further away the wall, the sharper the image you should get. Experimenting with the distances and mirror size should make the image brighter. To make the image clearer to see, use an indoor wall in a house and reflect the image in through a window. Notice that the shape of the hole – even a triangle – still gives a circular disc of the Sun.

Television

Or you could just watch it on television! Eclipse Live: A Stargazing Special will be on BBC Two at 9am tomorrow.

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/8203-Solar-Eclipse-2015-watch-safely/story-26199684-detail/story.html#ixzz3Up6LMC6W 

Not being funny but it looks nothing like what they're showing on BBC. I wouldn't even notice anything different if the media hadn't been advertising it

Not even that's as dark as a thunderstorm now and the sun is a crescent?

It's fairly obvious that it's happening.

Not being funny but it looks nothing like what they're showing on BBC. I wouldn't even notice anything different if the media hadn't been advertising it

We're too far south. If you're in Scotland and the Isles you'll get a far more complete eclipse. It's centred on the Faroes.

Because the sun is so bright, obviously even 10% of it is still going to provide a lot of daylight.

The BBC webcam was in Lewis which is about as far north as you get in the UK.

Archived