Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

Well I watched the first quarter last night and I have to say I can't see the attraction. It's like a more boring version of rugby.

Yesterday was the American Football equivilant of our 0-0 draw with Hull last season to be fair.

Yesterday was the American Football equivilant of our 0-0 draw with Hull last season to be fair.

A very apt comparison. Denver's defense completely dominated, which stopped the offensive fireworks the casual fan would have hoped for. 

I'm not sure if the big time college (american) football games are broadcast overseas, but I think that those games would be more interesting for a casual viewer. Pro football games can have a sterile, corporate style atmosphere because the ticket prices are so high. That's also magnified by the Superbowl, where tickets start at $3,000. Many people at the game are not even particularly loyal to either team, they're just there for the spectacle of it, much like the NFL games hosted in London.

A very apt comparison. Denver's defense completely dominated, which stopped the offensive fireworks the casual fan would have hoped for. 

I'm not sure if the big time college (american) football games are broadcast overseas, but I think that those games would be more interesting for a casual viewer. Pro football games can have a sterile, corporate style atmosphere because the ticket prices are so high. That's also magnified by the Superbowl, where tickets start at $3,000. Many people at the game are not even particularly loyal to either team, they're just there for the spectacle of it, much like the NFL games hosted in London.

The atmosphere of say, an SEC rivalry game or a B10 matchup like Michigan/Michigan State or Michigan/Ohio State would be far more entertaining for the casual viewer.

I've often felt that the top collegiate ranks are the last vestiges of truly passionate American football.

Division 3 and the Ivy League may contain the last remaining true student-athletes left in American college football, period! 

Edited by UPinCarolina

Felt really let down by it, not the greatest of advertisements for the game. The defence was great but a lot of mistakes on both sides, felt like a lack of effort from a lot of players too. The play calling on first down for the panthers was embarassing, would love to know exactly how many 1 or 2 yard runs they had on first down. Cam did bottle it to a certain extent but I do feel he was let down by the officials and his own offence. He was getting beat up badly by the pass rush, a couple of late hits that went unpunished as well. The run game wasn't quite there and when he did put passes in the receivers hand an awful lot were dropped. I still feel the Cotchery catch early on changed the game, I feel it should have been a catch and if it had been then there is no sack and fumble on the 2 yard line and the resulting TD would more than likely not happened. Not to take anything away from the Broncos though, they played some of the best defence I have seen in a while and the pass rush especially were excellent. Wade Phillips had another great game play calling wise and deserves a lot of recognition. Also impressed with C J Anderson running the ball, he was running through 2 or 3 tackles at times and really stepped up when the rest of the offence wasn't overly great.

Not the best ever Superbowl but it was great to see that arrogant bastard Newton shit a brick.

Pleased for Peyton Manning, probably the worst QB bowl winning performance since Trent Dilfer but you can forgive him given the career he has had.

Ok I have calmed down enough now to comment. lol.

Got to hand it to the Broncos. Great defense. You could really see the difference in experience between the two QB's aswell but the Broncos got it spot on.... Take cam out the game and you stop the Panthers. They even Stopped Cams running game.

It was definitely on full display last night! Did you see him walk out of the presser after the game?

Yeah, poor form in the press conference. I'm sure he'll be back though...

In Cams defense, he didn't really walk out of the press conference as such.... his questioning was over.... What he was upset about was the fact that both teams were being forced to hold press conferences in the same room at the same time ( never happened before and completely unprecedented!)  and he took exception to some of the comments made about him by the Broncos...

Having both Miller and De Ware running off the edge is an embarrassment of riches.

Yep, you can’t double team both of them! Ware has helped in more ways than one as well.

Miller was very close to being out of the league after his second suspension due to cheating a drugs test and a DUI conviction. One more strike and he would have been banned for a season  which would have been a catastrophic waste of talent. That offseason Ware was signed and he has been a tremendous influence, taking Von (who as a Texan idolised Ware) under his wing straight away. I think Miller it was at that point Miller saw the bigger picture and matured considerably off the field. He’s now poised to become one of the highest paid defensive players in the game which is a great turn around for him.

• 1 month later...

Looks like Doug Martin is going to re-sign for Tampa from free agency. I don't understand why the Jags weren't in for him. He's younger and better than Ivory. Only reason I can think of is they don't want to sideline Yeldon and have bought in Ivory to tutor him.

Kaepernick could be staying with 49ers after slagging them off now too. He desperately wants a trade though.

Thoughts on RG3 going to the Browns? Can't see that ending in anything but failure.

Edited by The Bear

Looks like Doug Martin is going to re-sign for Tampa from free agency. I don't understand why the Jags weren't in for him. He's younger and better than Ivory. Only reason I can think of is they don't want to sideline Yeldon and have bought in Ivory to tutor him.

Kaepernick could be staying with 49ers after slagging them off now too. He desperately wants a trade though.

Thoughts on RG3 going to the Browns? Can't see that ending in anything but failure.

I disagree. Doug Martin had a nice resurgence last year but Chris Ivory is the much more consistent tailback. I think you'll be happy with him next year.

• 4 months later...

Looking like there will be a space going (or 3 - happy to push to 12 if we have the interest) in the Foxestalk NFL Fantasy League this year as one from last year has pulled out. 

Live draft will be the Sunday before the season starts (4th September) around 7pm. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send over links etc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/08/2016 at 17:02, General Smuts said:

Looking like there will be a space going (or 3 - happy to push to 12 if we have the interest) in the Foxestalk NFL Fantasy League this year as one from last year has pulled out. 

Live draft will be the Sunday before the season starts (4th September) around 7pm. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send over links etc.

BUMP

Draft tomorrow and still 1 team shy - anyone interested????

If you need someone I will, but I'll be pants I tell you now.

Side note relevant to the thread, I've been following the Ravens for nearly a decade now, and in October I'm going to watch a game in Baltimore. SO EXCITED!!

Edited by ajthefox

26 minutes ago, ajthefox said:

If you need someone I will, but I'll be pants I tell you now.

Side note relevant to the thread, I've been following the Ravens for nearly a decade now, and in October I'm going to watch a game in Baltimore. SO EXCITED!!

Like Katie Price's coin purse that slot has just been filled mate. Appreciate it though!