Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
General Smuts

Smuts' NFL Thread

5 hours ago, Izzy said:

Go Raiders. 2 and 0. It’s our year :thumbup:

Izzy, there’s no way to break this to you gently.

Owners matter in our football too.  And the Raiders’ Mark Davis is infamous for meddling more than any owner outside of Jerry Jones.  The rest seem to figure out (after a few years of mediocrity) it’s best to let the front office pros do their jobs.

1011960366_dumb.JPG.6538e769f9321e05aa80f3318239db72.JPG

But then there’s Mr Dumb & Dumber.  Who hired a has-been coach on a ten-year guaranteed contract because he liked his ESPN show.  Whose drafting, year after year, is the comic relief that breaks the tension in the other 29 draft rooms.  Who moves the team and leaves another fan base bereft every time he gets a nine figure offer.  Actually every other time, as he messes up half of those offers.

This is a billionaire who wears a bowl cut.  Do you think he has a shred of common sense?  Accepts any counsel?

Save yourself the grief.  Pick any other team. *

*  (except the Jaguars, Ravens or Bengals)

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, KingsX said:

Izzy, there’s no way to break this to you gently.

Owners matter in our football too.  And the Raiders’ Mark Davis is infamous for meddling more than any owner outside of Jerry Jones.  The rest seem to figure out (after a few years of mediocrity) it’s best to let the front office pros do their jobs.

1011960366_dumb.JPG.6538e769f9321e05aa80f3318239db72.JPG

But then there’s Mr Dumb & Dumber.  Who hired a has-been coach on a ten-year guaranteed contract because he liked his ESPN show.  Whose drafting, year after year, is the comic relief that breaks the tension in the other 29 draft rooms.  Who moves the team and leaves another fan base bereft every time he gets a nine figure offer.  Actually every other time, as he messes up half of those offers.

This is a billionaire who wears a bowl cut.  Do you think he has a shred of common sense?  Accepts any counsel?

Save yourself the grief.  Pick any other team. *

*  (except the Jaguars, Ravens or Bengals)

Absolute state of him lol But as you know mate, you can't pick your team - your team picks you!

I'm only a casual NFL fan these days but have followed the Raiders since 83/84 when they beat the Redskins to win the Superbowl. Jim Plunkett, Todd Christensen, Howie Long, Marcus Allen etc. were my hero's but it's pretty much been total shite since then.

No doubt they'll fvck it up again this year but nice to see them win the first two games.

#raidernation

7 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Absolute state of him lol

If any exec ever needed coaching ...  but how do you approach a client who's too thick to listen?

Izzy:  Let’s discuss your priorities for the organization …

MD: Well, I’d like to take the front office boys to Hooters and stare at some gazongas.  They drive me nuts with all that football talk.  Then let’s worry about tomorrow, tomorrow.

Izzy:  How can you best support your direct reports tasked with improving the playing staff?

MD: I’ve got the red phone in the draft room.  When they start to bicker about which defensive tackle best fills that gaping hole in the squad, I call in another 4.25 sprinter who’s never played football.  Shuts ‘em right up.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, baylisslcfc said:

Referees doubly ruined my Sunday with Chargers also getting mugged. 

That sack called on Herbert is laughable. The ineligible man downfield and illegal shift calls that chalked off two touchdowns were ridiculously harsh too.

You are right. It shouldn't have been called a sack. Instead, Herbert should have been penalised for intentional grounding because his attempted 'pass' didn't go beyond the line of scrimmage.

Anyway...

...HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!

2 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

You are right. It shouldn't have been called a sack. Instead, Herbert should have been penalised for intentional grounding because his attempted 'pass' didn't go beyond the line of scrimmage.

Anyway...

...HOW 'BOUT THEM COWBOYS!!!

Fair enough if they make the right call, but they didn’t. I’m therefore less inclined to trust their judgement. Judgment that I thought was questionable at best yesterday.

The illegal shift called on us that I mentioned which costs us a touchdown — it’s really harsh imo, but whatever. However, they have to make the same call on the Cowboys, which they don’t:

Certain teams and players get away with far more than others, and I find it intensely annoying.

5 hours ago, baylisslcfc said:

Certain teams and players get away with far more than others, and I find it intensely annoying.

This is true. And the Cowboys get away with less than most. They have been penalised more than their opponents in 12 of the last 15 seasons. Is this bias, either conscious or subconscious (as they are comfortably the most despised team in the NFL)? Or is it just poor discipline? Maybe it's a bit of both. But you won't hear me complain if for once they are the beneficiaries.

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

This is true. And the Cowboys get away with less than most. They have been penalised more than their opponents in 12 of the last 15 seasons. Is this bias, either conscious or subconscious (as they are comfortably the most despised team in the NFL)? Or is it just poor discipline? Maybe it's a bit of both. But you won't hear me complain if for once they are the beneficiaries.

I was looking at the game on Sunday in isolation, and I thought we were hard done by — but that’s all fair enough. You win some, you lose some.

2 hours ago, baylisslcfc said:

I was looking at the game on Sunday in isolation, and I thought we were hard done by — but that’s all fair enough. You win some, you lose some.

If we are looking at just this game in isolation then the Chargers were on the rough end of the officials' calls. But the Cowboys were flagged for 8 of the 20 total penalties, some of which I felt were dubious too. Particularly the pass interference penalty on Kearse, which negated his interception.

I think another issue is not only whether the officials are favouring one player or team over another, but also the sheer amount of penalties being called. 20 penalties in a game just reeks of over-officious, flag-happy refs. They should only flag the blatant, obvious stuff and just let the players play imho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

If we are looking at just this game in isolation then the Chargers were on the rough end of the officials' calls. But the Cowboys were flagged for 8 of the 20 total penalties, some of which I felt were dubious too. Particularly the pass interference penalty on Kearse, which negated his interception.

I think another issue is not only whether the officials are favouring one player or team over another, but also the sheer amount of penalties being called. 20 penalties in a game just reeks of over-officious, flag-happy refs. They should only flag the blatant, obvious stuff and just let the players play imho.

The amount of soft DPI penalties you see are a prime example of the flag-happy refs.

Also these new taunting rules are ridiculous. Surely no NFL fan or player wants that :blink:.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I tuned in just in time to see the Lions score their first touchdown and it got progressively worse from there until this. I couldn't believe it, I never thought he'd make it but I was buzzing he did! Tucker is the the GOAT - no question.

Feel for the Lions though, tough one to lose on after a pretty good second half.

Edited by ajthefox

13 minutes ago, KFS said:

Genuine question here, is this about average for a premier league goal kick? 

Goalkeepers can kick a goal kick just as far, probably further. But you have to consider that the sweet spot on an NFL football is much smaller than it is on a (soccer) football. Also, the maximum allowable psi for a soccer ball is 15.6, and only 13.5 for an NFL football. The higher the pressure the further you can ping it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, FOXYTALK said:

What about that Ravens field goal too 😱

17 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Unreal. 

Not just sailing through but off the bar and in. Is that Lions fans in the background celebrating thinking the guy missed?? 

Eagles looked a mess last night. Far too many penalties and it hurt to watch Hurts in that game though. Hopefully Dallas don't flatter to deceive though. At least someone in the NFC East needs to be half competent.

Anyone into college should be looking forward to this weekend. Georgia- Arkansas, Ole Miss-Alabama and anyone with Sky can watch Cincinnati-Notre Dame on Sky Sports NFL as well. Three belting matchups.