Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCtotheprem

Manager next season

Pearson is either too full of himself or too limited to learn. If we stick with him he Will get us up again... and he will fail at the prem level again. We need someone with the ambition AND the ability to keep us in the prem. Unfortunately that isn't Nigel.

You talk as though anyone is now capable of keeping us in the top six of the Championship because we got out of our post-administration slump. it was just 4 and a half years ago that we went from playoff semi finalists back to being relegation stragglers. Before Pearson came back we'd invested heavily for a Championship team and still couldn't win two games in a row. The wrong change could easily bring the dark days back, so the future of this club must be considered a lot more carefully than a lot of people on here would have.

Absolutely, it's not a simple case of throw Pearson out and get anyone in, there's need to be plenty of research, consideration and knowledge used in the next appointment.

Owners should probably be very open to both options. Meet with Pearson at end of season and have long meeting(s) and see if they can see a successful future with him, after this disappointing season. Then maybe take a week or so to assess any other available alternatives out there who they may think could do a better job. 

It's a really tough decision, but I think a lot will depend on how we finish the season and what Pearson has to say to the owners and his vision/passion for the future as Manager.

This question is about much more than the manager alone, it's about the incredible backroom staff were fortunate to call our own, the whole set up. Pearson all the way.

Incredible in what respect? Certainly not set piece or tactical training. Our promising young players regress more often than they progress. They've made one or two good signings but some poor ones as well. We haven't produced a youth team player who has been picked up by a premier league club for how long?

I'd stick with Pearson, at the end of the day he got the team up from League One and mounted a promotion push straight away, I'd like to think he'd have few problems getting this team back up. I appreciate a few of the players will be on their way but there will still be a nucleus, given our apparent stable financial position and the parachute payments we should have little trouble bouncing back. He's what I'd consider the safest bet for promotion.

Don't get me wrong this season has to go down as a blot on his CV, and if he loses touch with the top six by four points or more after the obligatory 10 game settling down phase I'd like to see us part ways. Should he get us up the owners need to be looking very carefully at our league position from October onwards and if it's apparent he is failing again the axe needs to fall sooner rather than later.

What you have to remember is should we change manager now is it right to expect promotion from them straight away? What if their face doesn't fit and it's a disaster? We could be looking at another 10 years outside the top tier. I'd  have more confidence in Pearson achieving promotion than a new manager the only issue is I doubt he'd learn from his mistakes should he get us back up. Whilst we've been unlucky he's made some very strange decisions this year in both footballing and media terms.

Adkins for me however I think it's still going to be Pearson sadly, I believe the owners like him too much to sack him.

The same Adkins who made an absolute mess of the Reading job and is now out of work. They had a good squad and he got nothing out of them, so what makes you think he would do any different here?

Bit of a long shout but what about Robbie Neilson. On the 5live football phone in last night, they were saying how he's really bought the players together and got the most out of them at Hearts.

Just a suggestion so don't shoot it down.

For me, stick with Pearson. I'm alarmed at how this season has turned out but seeing as we're going down its best to stick with a manager who knows the championship. If the owners do decided to pull the plug on him, then would love to see O'Neill return (unlikely as it is).

You talk as though anyone is now capable of keeping us in the top six of the Championship because we got out of our post-administration slump. it was just 4 and a half years ago that we went from playoff semi finalists back to being relegation stragglers. Before Pearson came back we'd invested heavily for a Championship team and still couldn't win two games in a row. The wrong change could easily bring the dark days back, so the future of this club must be considered a lot more carefully than a lot of people on here would have.

No, not at all, that would be incredibly arrogant and ungrateful for what Pearson has achieved. What I'm saying is that we shouldn't be basing our ambitions on a 6 year period which is now every bit as consigned to the past as the O'Neill era, especially when our club's resources are now far more in line with what we had pre-2000, than what they were in, say, 2006. Because if we do that, then we should also consider that managers during that period had to deal with the aftermath of what happened in 2000 and 2001, and some of them actually made positive contributions in circumstances which were far worse than anything we face currently, or faced last year, or in 2011 when Pearson returned.

I guess most of the Pearsonite brigade here are below 30 and the promotion was the highlight of their city fan years. I have a have a different perspective. I've supported LCFC for 40 odd years and historically we have always been a yo-yo club, top of Div 2 or near bottom of old Div 1 during that time. The last 10 years have been an aberration. He's had very generous funds, had very supportive owners, very supportive fans but at the end of the day he's failed. Just not up to the job. He's out of his depth and has anger management issues. Time to start again.  

"Pearsonite brigade; below 30." Sounds more like their IQ level.

Fair comment.

The same Adkins who made an absolute mess of the Reading job and is now out of work. They had a good squad and he got nothing out of them, so what makes you think he would do any different here?

What about Southampton? Conveniently forgotten, methinks

I saw Reading quite a bit, as they're on my doorstep, and their squad was pretty poor. Little money to bring in good players.

I'm not sure why people are letting their hearts rule their heads so much on this one. What I want to happen is for Pearson to stay and, if he doesn't keep us up, get us promoted in one season instead of three, and in doing so form a side more capable of PL survival than he did last time, then have learnt valuable lessons from this season and make clear from the off that he is up to scratch at this level.

All Leicester fans should hope, in all realism and sobriety, for us to be in the PL again as soon as possible and stay there. If the current generation of City fans has been shorn of ambition that they don't wish for this, or believe it's realistic, then the club really would be much better off without them. In my heart, I want that to be with Pearson, but if I'm rational I can see that there's very little reason to believe he can deliver it.

And it's the case however you look at it. If we look at his past record in the second tier, then there's one promotion in five, all with well-funded teams, and in one case a recently relegated team. If we look at his record in the PL there's absolutely nothing to offer encouragement there because he's on track to become one of a small group of the least successful managers ever at this level. If we look at what's happened in the past to managers who have suffered relegation, or clubs who've kept their managers upon going down, then that offers little hope either.

There is, for a club with our objectives, no reason to believe Pearson will be our man in the long term.

Now in the short term, we can stick with him and hope that he delivers in the second tier. But it's wrong to say he'll have the same squad, he'll most probably be without any of the wingers (Dyer, Knockaert, Mahrez) from that side, one of its CBs - if he stays - will be 35 instead of 33, and a whole host of players will lack the self-belief they had before, that belief that once they make the PL they'll prove themselves, and that they'll have a manager with 'something of an aura about him' who can lead them capably at that level. Moore, Drinkwater, Schmeichel, De Laet - some of these players' confidence will be irreparably knocked, Partnerships which formed over years (Moore-Morgan, Drinkwater-James) will have become weaker. And there's the small matter of more than a dozen new faces at the club, some of which will leave, some of which will want to leave, some of which we'll need to leave for financial reasons.

So there will be a good degree of restructuring, and this time we'll have to hope that the side we forge in the second tier will find the step up less bewildering than the last side we took up.

It's curious to see Pearson's most determined supporters still talking about a lack of alternatives, when several of the alternatives proposed by people earlier in the season - Pulis, Sherwood for instance - appear to have improved the form of the clubs they took over. In the Championship, the past tells us that the vast majority of success is delivered by managers who have never previously delivered; that the likes of Holloway, Adkins, McDermott, Kean, Adams, Dowie rarely bounce back and get it right second time around. Clubs which go forward tend to be clubs which look not to the past, but the future.

I think this is a good post, with many points that I agree on, however, there is one thing I would take issue with.

There has been an underlying assumption, in a number of posts, that bringing a new manager in would perhaps have improved our form in the same way it has for some other teams; notably West Brom, Villa and Crystal Palace. I think that there is a difference between the circumstances that those teams found themselves and our own, which is that their players were clearly under performing, with room for improvement, whereas I don't think the same can be said of most of our players.

With one or two exceptions they have been completely committed all season and put a shift in. The players are still playing for each other and I can only assume the manager and staff as well. The problem is that, this year with the step up, they have been found wanting in terms of capability. Not by much, but certainly by enough to make a difference. 

Cheers

What about Southampton? Conveniently forgotten, methinks

I saw Reading quite a bit, as they're on my doorstep, and their squad was pretty poor. Little money to bring in good players.

No he achieved the same as Pearson did with regards to us, albeit over a shorter time scale.

He took over Reading in the exact same position he would take over us in, just relegated from the Prem with parachute payments and a squad largely playing in the prem the previous season. Maybe a slightly smaller budget, but it's not as if he would be given much here with FFP back into play and some high earners still about the place.

I don't think he is a bad manager, but certainly no better than Pearson, who has the advantage of knowing and building the squad of players. As I have said before I am not against a change of manager, but it must be an improvement, not just change for the sake of it because that attitude found us in League 1.

Archived