Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
thanks4nothinglevein

We Can STILL STAY UP... BELIEVE!

2 wins have given us a chance, but that's all it is... a chance

We now need to deliver more wins to make the most of the chance we've given ourselves. The so called easier run-in is tougher than people think, we don't play too many teams with nothing to play for, instead we've got 3 cup finals in Burnley, Sunderland & QPR, two games against a the ever solid Mourinho's Chelsea and the amazing Southampton. Really Swansea & Newcastle are our best chances and Swansea are a good side with some very good players, Newcastle's form has to turn sometime, they're not bad players

The picture will be clearer after Saturday, because if we don't win and others do, we're back to be almost certainly down again... and give our first half against a poor West Brom side, we can't take anything for granted

For anybody interested, I've just had a quick look around other forums and came across a "premier league calculator" thread on the QPR forum (I didn't think this was worth a new topic). A lot the finishes that they've predicted have us safe from relegation, so it's not just us that think we can do it! 

Here's a link to the predictor http://www.worldfootball.net/table_c...remier-league/ , my very conservative predictions had us needing to beat QPR on the last day to stay up, however I did predict that we'd drop points in most of our remaining games!

I know predictions mean sweet F.A but it's a lot more fun than real work. enjoy.

I'm so bad at this. Horrible bias- I've got us up to 13th ffs lol

I did the same the first time... 13th on 38 points, I then gave myself a slap on the wrist and took a long hard look at myself in the mirror and started again haha

You are shocked people had written us off in January, look at the results till January and since January.

Nothing stands out, or gave any impression that we could stay up, for long periods it looked like we wouldn't win a game, especially after the shockers against teams like hull.

Most other seasons we could, or would have been gone, but we are very lucky that there are 5 teams that are finding as hard as us.

It looks like it could be a low points tally to stay up, but after two wins its a little to early to be confident yet, some positive signs, but a long way to go, especially how our results have been.

Pearson has changed his mentality, from the cautious one that produced no results, to playing to the players we have strengths, and playing positive attacking football, which those critical have pleaded for him to do during the barren run.

Their are no guarantees that we will beat burnley, qpr, or Sunderland, but like I say, we seem to be getting a bit of confidence, but we still looked suspect against two sides out of form.

So before we get to carried away, let's live in hope, and see where this upturn in confidence takes us.

Firstly, I don't think we have been or were playing like the worst team in the league. Villa, Hull and Sunderland have at least been playing worse than us. But a bit of bad luck coupled with us missing numerous chances has led us to the position we are in. Our general play has been good. Every game we have played we have competed well and could have got a lot more points. For me, these last two games haven't been a shock to me. We have played well since the Palace game, apart from Hull as you mentioned. What has been impressive is how we have won the last two games and the resilience we have shown. That hasn't been with us a lot this season. 

I'm not saying we are there anyway, we have just about caught up. The hard work starts now. My point was that people had written us off in January, and even after that we have been on a poor run and yet we have caught up. So I don't understand the pessimism associated with that. Yes there are more teams involved this time round, but you'd assume that the 18th place team will be on 34/35 points and that exactly isn't low. I don't think the total we need will be low but rather there will be more teams involved, so it could come down to goal difference and real fine margins. 

Firstly, I don't think we have been or were playing like the worst team in the league. Villa, Hull and Sunderland have at least been playing worse than us. But a bit of bad luck coupled with us missing numerous chances has led us to the position we are in. Our general play has been good. Every game we have played we have competed well and could have got a lot more points. For me, these last two games haven't been a shock to me. We have played well since the Palace game, apart from Hull as you mentioned. What has been impressive is how we have won the last two games and the resilience we have shown. That hasn't been with us a lot this season.

I'm not saying we are there anyway, we have just about caught up. The hard work starts now. My point was that people had written us off in January, and even after that we have been on a poor run and yet we have caught up. So I don't understand the pessimism associated with that. Yes there are more teams involved this time round, but you'd assume that the 18th place team will be on 34/35 points and that exactly isn't low. I don't think the total we need will be low but rather there will be more teams involved, so it could come down to goal difference and real fine margins.

I don't get all this we are unlucky business and we are better than results suggest.

We are bottom because we deserve to be, and because we drew with burnley, Sunderland and hull at home, and got beat by teams like palace home and away, when they where in and around us, and qpr away, and the fact we haven't done well against teams lower down the table.

All the poor results this season have mainly due to our poor management, poor mistakes and cautious tactics, inviting teams to attack us.

And the penny has finally drop for pearson, that we are not good enough to invite teams onto us, as our defence isn't good enough, which has been glaring all season, but he persisted with those tactics.

So forget the bad decisions against us, we have lost more points from what I have put above, and that's without mentioning the lack of decent finishing.

So now is the time to hope for the best, and hope we can beat Sunderland, burnley, and qpr, which we have failed to do so far this season, I feel it's to little to late, but you never know, we've pushed our luck with poor results, we may take advantage of that.

I don't get all this we are unlucky business and we are better than results suggest.

We are bottom because we deserve to be, and because we drew with burnley, Sunderland and hull at home, and got beat by teams like palace home and away, when they where in and around us, and qpr away, and the fact we haven't done well against teams lower down the table.

All the poor results this season have mainly due to our poor management, poor mistakes and cautious tactics, inviting teams to attack us.

And the penny has finally drop for pearson, that we are not good enough to invite teams onto us, as our defence isn't good enough, which has been glaring all season, but he persisted with those tactics.

So forget the bad decisions against us, we have lost more points from what I have put above, and that's without mentioning the lack of decent finishing.

So now is the time to hope for the best, and hope we can beat Sunderland, burnley, and qpr, which we have failed to do so far this season, I feel it's to little to late, but you never know, we've pushed our luck with poor results, we may take advantage of that.

I agree we deserve to be where we are. No arguments there. However, there is a difference between teams at the bottom of leagues getting stuffed 4-0/5-0 every week and us where every game seems to be an even contest. Bar Swansea away, I don't think we have been outclassed by the majority of teams. Decisions have gone against us, but I'm not using that as an excuse to why we are bottom. For me it has been a lack of quality where it matters. The lapses in concentration that lose us goals and the poor finishing that means we miss so many chances. 

Have to agree that we have been too cautious in some games, and that has cost us. Our strengths are in attack. We proved that last season where we literally went into every game attacking. That's where we are at our best. Having said that, the quality of teams in this league means that you cannot do that week in week out. You're asking for trouble if you do that, and there has to be some balance. Blackpool were one team that went for it every game, and although they played some entertaining football they ended up getting relegated. Personally I think we started the season on the front foot playing expansive football and got some real good results and then after the Palace loss and Burnley draw I think we tried to be harder to beat to try and contain teams and get some confidence back. It did not work. Maybe if we went more attacking throughout that period between October-December we may have looked better and got some more results.

But since January, we have looked good. We have competed and even outplayed a lot of teams yet find ourselves the other side of games, simply because we haven't got the quality/composure to make it count. Recently, we have shown we have the quality and that is what has brought us back into the picture. We even have that bit of luck with scoring scrappy goals, like King's, Huth's and even Nuge's to an extent.

Let's get this right,only THE most optimistic city fan thought we had any realistic chance of avoiding the drop BEFORE these 2 wins.

Myself,monsell and many others had more or less given up but the facts were there-we were not winning games even though we may gave been playing well as and had only won 4 games all season til then.

To now come on and say we were never in doubt blah blah blah

Let's get this right,only THE most optimistic city fan thought we had any realistic chance of avoiding the drop BEFORE these 2 wins.

Myself,monsell and many others had more or less given up but the facts were there-we were not winning games even though we may gave been playing well as and had only won 4 games all season til then.

To now come on and say we were never in doubt blah blah blah is bull.The facts speak for themselves and these 2 wins have given us a great chance but that's all....let's enjoy the confidence its given to everyone but remember its City...we don't do things the easy way!!!!

To now come on and say we were never in doubt blah blah blah

I have said since xmas we could do it and thought we stood a good chance if we were not cut adrift coming into the final games.

I have said since xmas we could do it and thought we stood a good chance if we were not cut adrift coming into the final games.

Until last week we were 7 points away.

All the facts and records suggested we were dead and buried,no pundit or opposition fans gave us a chance

I'm sure even you had doubts?

Until last week we were 7 points away.

All the facts and records suggested we were dead and buried,no pundit or opposition fans gave us a chance

I'm sure even you had doubts?

I've always said and believed we could do it. Speak for yourself.

Me too steve looked at the run in's over xmas and thought we could do it.

I always had belief, and still do, although it does change with results and (more importantly) performances. We are in a good position - sounds weird saying that given we are still bottom - because we have to play teams around us still (Sunderland, QPR and Burnley). We need to win these games because it directly influences their season and that is important. It's no good beating Southampton and losing to Sunderland, for example.

Prior to the last 2 games I was hanging on to desperate hope and to be honest I'm not far from that mark now. We still need a few wins and do believe those wins are realistic but until we move off the bottom, I'm hanging on to that thread of belief tightly with both hands.

Well you also said anyone who says they believed was full of bull. I believed, still believe and still not full of bull.

Like I say,give yourself ANOTHER pat on the back!!!

For the record though I said only the MOST optimistic of fans didn't have doubt,but whatever!!!

Prior to the last 2 games I was hanging on to desperate hope and to be honest I'm not far from that mark now. We still need a few wins and do believe those wins are realistic but until we move off the bottom, I'm hanging on to that thread of belief tightly with both hands.

Yes I'm more in this category,but still won't start dreaming of mid table until 3 teams other than us have that r next to them!

Archived