Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

Nugents performance today

Considerimg ulloa is a marked man, and looked utterly knackered for the last 20 mins and his quality of play dropped off dramatically, id like to see nuge and vardy up top, 4-4-1-1, with albrighton, drinks, cambiasso and mahrez in midfield

It's not necessarily the players but the tactics today that got me, we were so negative, cambiasso May aswell play in defence

Nice bloke but not good enough at this level.

We need to find an attacking combination that works. Nige doesn't seem to know how to use our three strikers effectively.

It's worrying if the only way we can pick up points is to be the underdog. We should be bossing games like today. Nugent seems to have reduced himself to the role of defensive striker. Good for chasing opponents. Doesn't do enough when we have the ball.

Now, I have made it clear that I'm not Nugent's biggest fan. I don't think he's cut out for this level at all.

However, he was not our worst performer, by a clear margin, and we looked a little better when he came on. De Laet and Konchesky were dire, and Schlupp is possibly the biggest conman to somehow convince people that he's a professional footballer.

Yeah, Nugent was pretty poor, and I believe he's cost us previous games. However, he can't take the blame for today.

I like Nugent a lot but when he receives the ball he just slows everything down and it's so frustrating. He literally just waits for the opposition defence to catch up and see a clever run from one of our attacking players. His positioning and runs are usually very good but currently he has absolutely nowt end product. To be honest I'm surprised this hasn't been worked on in training as it's not something that's particularly difficult to do, as well as being evident for at least 6 months. Maybe 'when you get the ball nuge go forward instead off dawdling on the ball' just a thought.

Was like a white lloyd today, was in so many promising positions and messed them all up with terrible passes or crosses. He stood out for me as he seemed to have the most opportunity to create something and kept shagging it up. It's weird with him because he seems an intelligent player and seems to know what he wants to do. He just didn't execute at all today.

He had 6 great chances to get the ball in the box in 30mins he managed only 1 from that position it's embarrassing my lass could of done better. He needs to much time on the ball hopefully we'll get a new striker come January he's not good enough

He had 6 great chances to get the ball in the box in 30mins he managed only 1 from that position it's embarrassing my lass could of done better. He needs to much time on the ball hopefully we'll get a new striker come January he's not good enough

How many chances did anyone else have?

Hard to assess Nugent's 30 minutes or so today. We looked a better team with him on, and his movement was excellent. As others have said the execution of the final ball wasn't there but he hardly had an array of options when he kept getting in behind the full back.

I'd look a bit more at Ulloa. He was far too deep for too much of the game today and this meant he wasn't always available when we got into good positions down the flanks.

He looked a big threat with the system we played. He dealt playing out of position better than he usually does there.

Would have liked to see Mahrez come on there because the 4-3-3 was the reason we started to break them down. Just a shame it was after an international game in that regard

Tell you what, combine Nugent’s positioning and maneuvers and Albrighton’s delivery, and the story would be a whole lot different.

Anyway, we looked far more deadly with Nugent and Vardy both in the team. Albrighton was a little hard done by because we didn’t do anything in the first half, but then again, one of Nugent and/or Vardy should’ve been there from the start.

I don’t know if it was me, but it looked like Nugent was actually getting better with his final balls (Final attempt aside). It doesn’t exactly help when Newcastle was throwing everyone back, and your teammates are not exactly in good positions (Ulloa being a main culprit). If he had the full game, who knows?

Hey, at the very least, he was getting corners… and oy, that’s something we need to really work on (so many wasted free kicks and corners).

As some have said, he works better behind the main man. But as a winger? At least it looks like he’s improving each game. That also says a lot about our supposed wingers, Mahrez is the only one that is really delivering, Schlupp doesn’t exactly fill me with confidence, Albrighton got a little hard done by, and Knocky… oh boy.

So, reason for Nugent to be in? Gets the ball, gets us into good places, works very hard off the ball like he was chasing that squirrel down at Loftus Road. Overall effect? He creates more chances, and we look far more dangerous overall. There’s also that sense of ‘team’ that he brings when he comes on. It’s just very obvious with him, it seems to bring those around him a bit up.

Reason not to? Final ball fella. Hit the training pitch, and practice your crossing. Winning corners is good, but we need more dangerous ball. He was getting better, but he'll need to quickly. This should also give the other wingers something to think about, because as things stand, he is in their spot, and quite frankly, he does look better at the moment (Mahrez the exception).

As I said, combine Nugent and Albrighton’s game… 

It doesn't really matter what you think about Nugent as an individual player, but you can't just remove his role from the team, as we have done for the last two games.

Against Burnley we gave them so much time and space just in front of their back four to build attack after attack. And yesterday by the sounds of it Ulloa was left isolated. Nugent would have solved both these problems.

Nugent may not be a brilliant number 10, but he's the best that we have and we need somebody to play that role.

I'm not a Nugent fan and never have been.

When he and Vardy came on we improved. He performed some good link play with RDL and Drinkwater and took up some good posotions.

Unfortunately, the reason I don't value Nugent as a starter in our team caught up with him again yesterday.

He hasn't got a football brain, his decision making is so slow it's scary. His delay of putting balls into the box or knowing what we wanted to do cost us a chance to get back into the game. If his chances had fallen to somebody else I think we would have created more efforts on goal.

His cause probably wasn't helped by the equally backward RDL.

It's not Nugent's fault we lost but I imagine this thread has been brought about by over a year of frustration from people, like myself, who are fed up with this player.

Don't know if this was OTT looking back, I was pissed off walking out of the stadium and was very frustrated at his performance. Got into some great positions but did fvck all with it, and summed it up at the end by falling over the ball instead of putting a cross in to either Morgan or ulloa.

Archived