Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

1 hour ago, fleshdaddy said:

Checking in again. Thanks for everyone's comments after I posted last week.

I had my counselling session on Friday, and to be honest immediately after I didn't feel like I got anything from it. Not that I expected to get something from it, that is. I just felt it was way too vague. The trouble is, I'm a very analytical person, so I want to know specifics, numbers, data - which is a problem with this sort of stuff, as there isn't a right or wrong answer and we're complex beasts!

However, since Friday - and actually since I posted here having scheduled that first session, I've felt happier. Maybe I've just naturally stumbled out of feeling low, as I normally do. Or maybe actually facing up to the fact that I might have issues and arranging to speak to someone has helped - or maybe it's because I just rambled at said someone for half an hour, or maybe all three! I do think it's been cathartic and just basically ranting at someone has helped me, though I'm not sure aside from giving me a release, it'll help me actually figure things out.

I know exactly what everyone means when they say they feel numb - not happy, not sad - just numb or ambivalent towards everything. I, too, have been guilty of sleeping lots and just staying in bed. I'm going to try to remember this quote by Ingmar Bergman though - "Demons don't like fresh air - they prefer it if you stay in bed with cold feet".

Life has many up and downs, Positives and Negatives... you can't live every day in complete happiness no one can everyone has problems big or small that's life.

Treat people how they treat you and keep on smiling, eventually it will all sort it self out.

Imagine ****ers in countries who have no food, no water or in the fear of war and count ya self lucky.

Peace.

• Like 1

On 07/02/2017 at 10:37, Izzy Muzzett said:

I haven't slept through the night properly (i.e. more than 5 hours solid) since 2003. After having had my colon removed, I'm up between 2-5 times a night on average needing the loo. My sleep pattern is permanently broken, and I miss the times where I could get a good 8 hours kip with no problems.

One of the reasons I work for myself and from home is that I need regular 'cat naps' in the day to catch up, otherwise I'm grumpy, irritable and can't function properly. I've learnt over the years how important sleep is and how much it can drastically alter my mood if I don't get enough of it. 

And I also find myself with a number of 'reasons' to slip back into depression right now. I lost my two main clients at the start of the year so the money 'worry' is at the back of my mind again. Also, I've recently been diagnosed with Crohn's disease and put on strong steroids. From next week I'll also have to inject myself every week and my immune system will be fvcked as a result. I also hate this time of year with a passion and my vitamin D levels are low due to the lack of sunlight. 

I find myself almost observing my life in the 'third person' sometimes, and passing comment on my current predicament. When my mood is low and I'm tired, I know this is absolutely not the time to trust my thinking or make key decisions. What I learnt many years ago is to surrender to a higher power than me, and just to trust the process of life and have faith that things will work themselves out. I know this is a rough patch for me right now, but I also know I've been here before and come out of the other end. Maybe it's a bit like the football analogy 'form is temporary but class is permanent'. My form is poor at the moment and my confidence low, but deep down I know how awesome I can be and I know these times will return soon.

Spring will soon be here and the phone will start ringing again, and then all will be well again. In the mean time, I'll keep taking each day at a time and 'show up' the best I can. Life is a series of up's and down's and this just happens to be one of the down times - and I recognise that. 

And on that note, I'm off for a kip :)

Inspirational post, Izzy :thumbup: I appreciate the fact that you are here helping other people through the bad days. You went through a lot in your life and you deserve a break. All the best for you and get well soon! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, the fox said:

Inspirational post, Izzy :thumbup: I appreciate the fact that you are here helping other people through the bad days. You went through a lot in your life and you deserve a break. All the best for you and get well soon! 

Bless ya mate :) 

I've had a lot of people over the years help me through the bad times, so the least I can do is try and pay it forward a bit if I can.

But yeah, a 'break' would be nice! 

In a lot of pain at the moment and popping about 200mg of codeine a day which isn't great :(

But, I know there are many, many people in a worse state than me and that always makes me count my blessings :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fleshdaddy said:

I had my counselling session on Friday, and to be honest immediately after I didn't feel like I got anything from it. Not that I expected to get something from it, that is. I just felt it was way too vague. The trouble is, I'm a very analytical person, so I want to know specifics, numbers, data - which is a problem with this sort of stuff, as there isn't a right or wrong answer and we're complex beasts!

However, since Friday - and actually since I posted here having scheduled that first session, I've felt happier. Maybe I've just naturally stumbled out of feeling low, as I normally do. Or maybe actually facing up to the fact that I might have issues and arranging to speak to someone has helped - or maybe it's because I just rambled at said someone for half an hour, or maybe all three! I do think it's been cathartic and just basically ranting at someone has helped me, though I'm not sure aside from giving me a release, it'll help me actually figure things out.

I know exactly what everyone means when they say they feel numb - not happy, not sad - just numb or ambivalent towards everything. I, too, have been guilty of sleeping lots and just staying in bed. I'm going to try to remember this quote by Ingmar Bergman though - "Demons don't like fresh air - they prefer it if you stay in bed with cold feet".

I love the quote at the end mate - consider that stolen for future use!

I'm really pleased you've felt happier since your session on Friday. Counselling is no silver bullett, but it sounds like just being able to talk stuff through is helping and that's great news.

And you're right, we are 'complex beasts' and sometimes it's difficult to rationalise the benefits of therapy. I gave up over analysing it and just went with the flow and trusted the process.

Sometimes it takes a few sessions to make a real breakthrough though. It took me 12 sessions over a year to truly feel better so I really hope you stick with it.

Keep us updated mate and we all wish you the very best of luck :thumbup:

• Like 3

On 07/02/2017 at 23:40, tom27111 said:

Had a bit of a relapse this week, things getting on top of me...finding a place to live, feeling guilty for being at my mates, transferring my job.

Feel really down, but going to see the GP on Thursday. 

I know I'll be ok, but it's tough.

Everyone else struggling, listen to the advice and get help.

We'll get through it.

Don't be! If they don't understand your struggle then they don't deserve to be called "mates". I always get into it with my mates because of the word "thank you", you are not supposed to tell them that because they already know how you feel about them. you are not supposed to feel guilty because you went to a friend for help. a friend in need is a friend indeed and this experience will do nothing but strengthen the relationship. Trust me, when you get your life back on track you will look back to the tough times and remember the people that picked you up after you got knocked down

Edited by the fox
  • Like 1

Looks like quite a few of you struggling lately. Same here slept most my days away the last week, zero motivation, hardly any interest in anything and basically just one of them really shit periods i go through 

My anxiety levels go through the roof, even when I'm tired my brain won't shut off. I question myself, everything and everyone, I get more angry, more edgy, more shut off. It's like I see the real me from a distance but he's gone and this demon me just takes over, then the real me comes back for abit and repeat

Anyway I've blabbed on enough, you guys have ya own shit to take care of. Be safe guys, we all gotta keep fighting on!

• Like 1

not going to lie, valentine days gonna be depressing

if im going to be honest, I have never been that focused on getting a girlfriend. Always been focused on education(such a nerd lol ) with brief interactions with the odd girl. Last few days are the first times ive been envious of people in relationships. Perhaps its anger at myself for focussing too much on my education thats causing it. The fact that its resulted in me still not getting where I am "supposed" to be is quite annoying. This is something I could never talk to anyone who knew me about not even a counsellor. I feel weird just talking about it, feel its just a nothing problem which I have made into a problem

completely understand what @fleshdaddy said. For me its all about analysing, in that their must be right or wrong answer. Further on from this, I am the sort of person who wants to know where I am going, i.e where/what ill be doing in a years time. This is something I mentioned to my counsellor who was very understandable in what I was trying to say even though I get confused by it myself 

Edited by Maboimahrez
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Maboimahrez said:

if im going to be honest, I have never been that focused on getting a girlfriend. Always been focused on education(such a nerd lol ) with brief interactions with the odd girl. Last few days are the first times ive been envious of people in relationships. Perhaps its anger at myself for focussing too much on my education thats causing it. The fact that its resulted in me still not getting where I am "supposed" to be is quite annoying. This is something I could never talk to anyone who knew me about not even a counsellor. I feel weird just talking about it, feel its just a nothing problem which I have made into a problem

completely understand what @fleshdaddy said. For me its all about analysing, in that their must be right or wrong answer. Further on from this, I am the sort of person who wants to know where I am going, i.e where/what ill be doing in a years time. This is something I mentioned to my counsellor who was very understandable in what I was trying to say even though I get confused by it myself 

It sounds like you have an inner voice (like the rest of us), yours is telling you that you should be doing this, you should have achieved that, then it demands that you beat yourself up for not having achieved those goals.  Ask yourself, if a friend came to you and said that he was having those issues would you blame him for it?  I suspect not, and neither should you be kicking yourself.

It's good to plan and have goals in life, this provides motivation and a structure.  The fact that you've focused on education when you needed to is nothing to regret.  If this has been to the exclusion of other important things in your life then maybe your next plan would be to re-adjust your focus.  It's easy to slip into a routine but this can sometimes be detrimental when circumstances change; for example working all hours to achieve a specific goal may have been necessary, but long term it can be detrimental to health and relationships.  The things you needed to do to get you to this point in your life may not be the things you need to do to move forward.

It's great to be in a loving relationship, it can be lonely on your own and it can be hell to be in a bad relationship.  When you're feeling lonely it can seem like everyone else in the world is happy but that's far from the case. You're probably better off than those in bad relationships.  Plus you're free to form a relationship with the right girl when you meet her.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Maboimahrez said:

?????. How are you supposed to be angry at your self for trying to provide the best chance of career success lol . don't let peer pressure get into you. You are doing the right thing. Your subconscious is telling you that the best way to have a functioning family in the future is by getting the most successful career that you can have in order to provide for said family.

You are an analytic person, and prioritizing is the most efficient way of doing things. Every thing will come together with time. you are making sure the foundations are solid befor starting in building a home and that is the smartest thing that you can do.

• Like 1

This week:

feeling a tiny bit better on the whole, despite the whole no job, no money no life thing. Sleep pattern is still erratic. Still haven't got dressed yet and am currently sitting in bed. 

Got a repeat prescription for my recently doubled dose of Sertraline sorted out - the woman at Boots said she'd send me a text two days later about then I could pick them up - that was 5 days ago. And I ran out of tablets about 3 days ago. Which means I'm fine now but in about a week I'll be very, very low. Again.

havent done anything about that possible new job because I'm a) lazy and b) certain that I'll hate it and am getting too old to waste my time at a job ill loathe.

still haven't finished my cv.

havent done any writing for about a month. Finished my latest script back just before Christmas and submitted it to 2 places but have heard nothing back so far. Have plans to redraft it and others but have no real drive to do anything to them and new scripts aren't ready to write yet.

continuing to ignore my money problems because it stresses me the fck out.

Leicester City keep losing. 

Dont have energy to do anything.

woe is me etc. 

When I was very down a few years ago just after finishing University (gone very quickly), I told my Mother about who then told her husband (who's my step-Father) who's now a retired pharmacist.

I explained to him I felt very anxious/panicky and had done for past several weeks or so back then, saying that being out of work for several weeks (despite having a degree etc) was hurting me very much and as a result I started to question myself and what others thought of me because of the above.

He strongly recommended about CBT (as others on here have advised and also on it), adding that it would assist me n changing my thoughts about myself and what can be improved in terms of mindset personally so I could challenge any negative thought processes when not in work anywhere - to attempt to feel better about myself in a difficult situation many encounter.

But he did advice after the recommended 8-10 sessions that ''you'll be on your own'' - and that made me think I should do the CBT by myself vis online help/write positive statements down on paper to look at when I felt low again (but now slightly regret not going to such therapy but can cope relatively well under stressful situations now, which I entirely understand is hard and you thinking you're on your own when you're actually not!).

For short term relief, when down at one time,  he then gave mesome 'Rescue Remedy' tablets - insisting that it's a popular buy for those who want to ease anxiety/stress quite quickly - I still, from time to time, use these and have to admit they do make a difference in terms of feeling 'better' and feel less stressed but everyone is different and hence some prefer CBT (and other talking therapies) over tablets/drops etc.

-

In conclusion, it might seem there's 'no way out' of depression, but there's of course plenty of different options to aid in getting out of dark holes life can bring.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Maboimahrez said:

I know what you mean about "wanting to know where you are going, etc" I've been at odds with myself for years over that. It's my brain in the end that messes shit up for me, I still have them goals and how I'd like things to pan out but it's not always that simple

If I can advise you on anything, you are a hell of a lot younger than me so you have plenty of time, just concentrate on help and try not to have this "where will I be" mindset. Try and enjoy the good days and get as much help as you can and I'm sure all will work out ok in the end. Don't heap the pressure on yaself because that won't help, trust me on that one!

Oh and as for relationships and Valentine's Day, yes a strong relationship is great and can help but if it all gets messy then it just adds to problems! Valentines Day? bah! money making bollocks! lol

• Like 1

7 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

This week:

feeling a tiny bit better on the whole, despite the whole no job, no money no life thing. Sleep pattern is still erratic. Still haven't got dressed yet and am currently sitting in bed. 

Got a repeat prescription for my recently doubled dose of Sertraline sorted out - the woman at Boots said she'd send me a text two days later about then I could pick them up - that was 5 days ago. And I ran out of tablets about 3 days ago. Which means I'm fine now but in about a week I'll be very, very low. Again.

havent done anything about that possible new job because I'm a) lazy and b) certain that I'll hate it and am getting too old to waste my time at a job ill loathe.

still haven't finished my cv.

havent done any writing for about a month. Finished my latest script back just before Christmas and submitted it to 2 places but have heard nothing back so far. Have plans to redraft it and others but have no real drive to do anything to them and new scripts aren't ready to write yet.

continuing to ignore my money problems because it stresses me the fck out.

Leicester City keep losing. 

Dont have energy to do anything.

woe is me etc. 

How's Sertraline working for you? Didn't do fvck all for me! Well sorry it did for abit but then it was like taking smarties!

All meds will work different for people though

On 13/02/2017 at 13:50, Izzy Muzzett said:

Bless ya mate :) 

I've had a lot of people over the years help me through the bad times, so the least I can do is try and pay it forward a bit if I can.

But yeah, a 'break' would be nice! 

In a lot of pain at the moment and popping about 200mg of codeine a day which isn't great :(

But, I know there are many, many people in a worse state than me and that always makes me count my blessings :)

Big man hugs mate!

• Like 1

Early on in my career I worked with a nice guy, real character, very good looking, lots of attention and as smart as you could find. It came as shock when he quit the job one day after having real difficulty getting out of bed in the morning due to severe depression. It came as a shock and from a generation where depression was (wrongly) seen as something someone who had absolutely nothing going for them. It was a real eye opener. It can hit anyone and was a real education.

Anyway this his friend of mine did have some difficulty over the years. He never returned back to the city nor to the job (stayed in the profession but at a far more relaxed paced). He established a support network and the most important thing he did is he spoke about it. He made what was again wrongly seen as taboo at the time an open subject. I learnt a lot about myself from his experiences and the fact he is now dealing with things so well fills me with a lot of happiness. 

Depression is like any illness, it's horrible and can really hurt someone who suffers from it. The best medicine is to talk. Keep it out in the open and the people who care will be there. 

• Like 2

On 13/02/2017 at 11:19, fleshdaddy said:

Did you find facing up to it hard/do you think you were in denial?

I mentioned a little while back that I struggle sometimes but that I have experience of being with someone who had series issues. I feel fairly confident that what I experience is not despression and instead is a combination of a pessimistic outlook/learned pessimistic behaviour and numerous behaviours/trains of thought that affect everyone (self-esteem, confidence, self doubt, anger issues etc etc). I can be very moody, that much is obvious to anyone who knows me well and in particular those I studied with, but even then I don't see this as an issue. Do I know myself that well or I am in denial? 

I suppose I just wouldn't want to go and speak to someone and come off looking like an amateur dramatic. No-one wants depression or a condition that has similar effects, but sometimes I do think it would be a relief to know that my mind works in a fvcked up way and that is isn't just my thinking, it's a biochemical process.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I mentioned a little while back that I struggle sometimes but that I have experience of being with someone who had series issues. I feel fairly confident that what I experience is not despression and instead is a combination of a pessimistic outlook/learned pessimistic behaviour and numerous behaviours/trains of thought that affect everyone (self-esteem, confidence, self doubt, anger issues etc etc). I can be very moody, that much is obvious to anyone who knows me well and in particular those I studied with, but even then I don't see this as an issue. Do I know myself that well or I am in denial? 

I suppose I just wouldn't want to go and speak to someone and come off looking like an amateur dramatic. No-one wants depression or a condition that has similar effects, but sometimes I do think it would be a relief to know that my mind works in a fvcked up way and that is isn't just my thinking, it's a biochemical process.

There are many things that can affect our mental outlook and thought processes which are not depression.  I had experienced the same issues that you mentioned and still do from time to time.  I was once diagnosed as having depression by a GP, I didn't realise that was the case before I saw him.  The depression had not gone on for my whole life but had been triggered by some unfortunate events, the more general self-confidence, self esteem issues were separate.  After being treated medically I found Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) to be helpful in putting my darker thoughts in their place and preventing the recurrence of the depression, it's all about changing your mindset.  It may not be for everyone but it worked for me and I think I would have found it useful even if I hadn't been depressed.  Even if you don't see a GP or a counsellor it can't do any harm to pick up a book on CBT and see if it works for you.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I asked the same question myself a page or two back. I found reaching out to someone really hard and very, very scary. Which is natural I guess, as you're jumping into the unknown in a sense. I'm a very analytical person in all aspects of life, but the last few weeks have been the first time I've actually taken time to think about whether the behavior I'd become accustomed to and normalised, was actually normal or whether it might have it's roots in something deeper. Accepting that there might be a problem was tough - ultimately though, it's healthy as if you accept there might be something you need to deal with, then you can actually take positive steps in dealing with it. I guess that ties into your denial question, because if you ignore and don't confront things, then that is denial and ignoring things and pushing it all to the side isn't healthy and won't get you to a better place.

Like you though, and particularly so after actually speaking to someone last week, I'm pretty sure I don't suffer from depression or anything more serious than the occasional up/down days, which I've always had and which I now accept that can last for just a day or two, or a more prolonged period of time. The big thing I'm trying to do is change my lifestyle, which I think will help alleviate my problems and improve my overall happiness. So, things like getting back into the gym (of course exercise is scientifically proven to improve your mood due to the release of endorphin's), doing more stuff socially etc. I've already noticed a change in myself since I made the jump of actually reaching out to someone, and I've begun getting my teeth into the lifestyle stuff and I feel a lot better so far. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CKB said:

How's Sertraline working for you? Didn't do fvck all for me! Well sorry it did for abit but then it was like taking smarties!

All meds will work different for people though

The 50m worked just fine it's just as I'm not working regularly it's difficult to keep up with them as I don't have a routine. While I was living in Cape Town and working they were very good but since I've been back I tend to miss a large number of days. Had a discussion with the Doc and we agreed to try the 100m but as they take a couple of months to kick in the same issue has arisen and what's worse is that Boots still haven't contacted me to tell me they've come back in, so I've essentially been off them for a week. Which means that I'm really struggling this week and will probably be even worse in a week or two.

what meds have you had? You're right that different ones work for different people so I might try something different. 

On 16/02/2017 at 13:36, Maboimahrez said:

Just been prescribed some citalopram. Anyone had any experiences with this?

Not personally but I know that it's a very effective SSRI with relatively few side effects, let us know how you get on with it.

Also today a Leicester Tigers rugby player has spoken out about his experience with depression, it may help a few of you to hear his story.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lionator said:

Not personally but I know that it's a very effective SSRI with relatively few side effects, let us know how you get on with it.

Also today a Leicester Tigers rugby player has spoken out about his experience with depression, it may help a few of you to hear his story.

Well to be perefectly honest ai took one friday morning and by friday evening I was throwing up and had a awful migraine. Been scared to take one over the weekend in case it happened again and with exams coming up I didnt want to risk getting worse.

terrible dilemma whther to carry it on(I believe it takes 3weeks to get used to it) or to leave it a while

On 15/02/2017 at 13:12, urban.spaceman said:

The 50m worked just fine it's just as I'm not working regularly it's difficult to keep up with them as I don't have a routine. While I was living in Cape Town and working they were very good but since I've been back I tend to miss a large number of days. Had a discussion with the Doc and we agreed to try the 100m but as they take a couple of months to kick in the same issue has arisen and what's worse is that Boots still haven't contacted me to tell me they've come back in, so I've essentially been off them for a week. Which means that I'm really struggling this week and will probably be even worse in a week or two.

what meds have you had? You're right that different ones work for different people so I might try something different. 

How you feeling now? are you not on Sertraline full time? I'd assume they won't do a job if you are only taking them at certain times. You really should take them daily if you wanna feel any benefit short term

God the list is long! I've been on so many I've actually lost count! They all seem to do a job for abit but then it's just like taking sweets. I've now been completely off tablets for nearly 2 months and don't feel any different. That showed me with what I already thought that the tablets I've had over the years were never gonna benefit me long term

Edited by CKB