Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

On 19/04/2017 at 10:00, Swan Lesta said:

Harsh  -  it's a numbers game applying for stuff. I would say over 50 percent of the jobs out there are not actually available and are earmarked for existing inside employees. 

On 19/04/2017 at 10:23, TAFKA Castroneves said:

That sucks man, unlucky - it's fine to be upset about it, natural it meant a lot to you to get the job,

But - the good news is despite all the focus being on that job for you - there is always other options out there - i love looking at jobs abroad, it's just that specific door is shut at this moment (and it could still always open again) - view it as an opportunity to look further - expand your options, I find that helps me a lot when I get down about something I really wanted to do falling through.

I'm in a bit of a spot like that at the moment, I miss living in Canada and it looked like i'd be going back this summer - but now with getting sick it's all looking a bit less unlikely which is pretty sucky and i'm using logic to constantly fight my depressive emotions on it, that's knackering mentally as a lot of you know when it's constantly happening - but also you feel stupid for not being able to cope with basic stuff and the cycle continues.

Even though i've not made it back to work yet I feel like I could get away for a few weeks as well lol it's stupid really as all i've been trying to do is relax and get a bit better and get back to work etc

On 19/04/2017 at 21:26, Izzy Muzzett said:

Sorry to hear you didn't land your dream job mate - bugger indeed.

If it's any consolation, I'm in my mid 40's and still don't know what to do with my life! lol In fact, I'd go as far as to say most people go through their lives trying to figure out just what to do with their lives. I know very few people who really know their true purpose in life and what they were put on the planet to do (the best example is my brother-in-law who is a Methodist Minister)

What I've learnt over the years is just to do what feels right in the moment. Not what I think I should do or what others think I should do, but what feels right to me at the time. I suppose I've learnt to trust my 'vibes' and follow my gut instinct - I'm a big believer in this...

Your instinct right now is to get away for a few weeks and I'd encourage you to follow your heart here. I know you don't have the cash but if you could find a way, I'm sure it's the right course of action for you in this moment - because that's how you feel..

And throwing out all the usual cliches, I really do believe that 'things are sent to try us' and 'everything happens for a reason'. I know that's no use to you right now, but it's all meant to be in my experience. I'm a bit of a fatalist and reckon it's all mapped out for us anyway to a certain degree, so I just trust the process of life and believe that what will be, will be.

Keep positive mate because you never know what's around the corner. Something might just crop up out of nowhere and surprise you when you least expect it. Life has a habit of taking away with one hand and then giving straight back with the other. The 'Ying and the Yang' and all that :)

Good luck buddy :thumbup:

Thanks for all your kind support guys. Didn't get the job because I didn't have enough experience. Which is true, but I've spent most of the last decade trying to get experience in video production and I still can't get much. Was OK after I got the rejection, went up to the Peak District for a couple of days, then came back and have been a bit wobbly since. Missed about 4 days of my meds because I couldn't be bothered to go to Boots and now I've been properly anxious the last week, culminating in a booze night tonight. Not proud of it but it was something I needed. Have bought a green screen so  hope to be shooting a video CV type thing soon to try and get a job

2 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Thanks for all your kind support guys. Didn't get the job because I didn't have enough experience. Which is true, but I've spent most of the last decade trying to get experience in video production and I still can't get much. Was OK after I got the rejection, went up to the Peak District for a couple of days, then came back and have been a bit wobbly since. Missed about 4 days of my meds because I couldn't be bothered to go to Boots and now I've been properly anxious the last week, culminating in a booze night tonight. Not proud of it but it was something I needed. Have bought a green screen so  hope to be shooting a video CV type thing soon to try and get a job

Give someone anyone a call. See if you can have a chatand maybe then can help sort the meds.

Do you have a youtube channel or anything where we can see your work?

Cheers 

I had a family tragedy a couple of years ago at home, which started a chain of events which I feel has rocked my self-esteem and me as a person.

I've been thinking of seeking help for a while now, but always felt I could overcome my issues.

The problem is it's getting worse and I feel like I'm falling into depression. If I haven't already.

I can put on a brave pokerface and "be happy" when needed so people can't see through me. But thinking about it, I can't remember the last time I truly laughed on the inside.

I feel exhausted now and not sure how many more hits I can take. I really want to seek help but just wanted advice on how people went about making their first move?

Did you go to your GP or seek counsel from other organisations?

Any advice would much appreciated 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TK95 said:

I had a family tragedy a couple of years ago at home, which started a chain of events which I feel has rocked my self-esteem and me as a person.

I've been thinking of seeking help for a while now, but always felt I could overcome my issues.

The problem is it's getting worse and I feel like I'm falling into depression. If I haven't already.

I can put on a brave pokerface and "be happy" when needed so people can't see through me. But thinking about it, I can't remember the last time I truly laughed on the inside.

I feel exhausted now and not sure how many more hits I can take. I really want to seek help but just wanted advice on how people went about making their first move?

I feel for you, I really do.

Just go to th GP, it's not such a taboo subject anymore. Be honest and tell them how you feel.

If you aren't confident or don't feel comfortable doing that, call someone like the samaritans, just to get it off your chest. They'll advise you go to the GP, but at least it's someone that'll listen in confidence. 

Thinking about getting yourself better is the first step.

I wish you luck, if you need anything or want to moan at someone, there are many people on here that'll listen.

Drop me a PM anytime.

Hope it works out.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TK95 said:

GP is a great first step, book some time with them and if you can, tell them everything you can think of.

It will help and you will feel better.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, TK95 said:

I would go down the GP route - maybe ask for counselling as a start (as this arguably stems from tragedy) and see if talking helps prior to meds? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, theessexfox said:

I don't want to draw attention to the vile, attention-seeking stain on humanity, who is usually just a bellend for his arrogance or ignorance.

Utterly skin-crawling, and the sort of backward view that entrenches the stigma around mental health in society, particularly amongst men, where suicide is the biggest killer between 20-50. With his platform and outreach, this is disgusting. Thankfully every response I've read has put him in his place. 

Well if anyone was in any doubt, you now know its perfectly OK to talk about your feelings. Just follow this straightforward guide to having morally correct opinions:

1. Find out Piers Morgan's opinion on matter

2. Do the opposite of what that vile scumbag has said.

This handy guide will help in many situations, such as:

• Not illegally hacking people's mobile phones
  • Not fabricating stories with fake photos of "British soldiers abusing prisoners" which put soldiers at risk of retaliation for fabricated pictures
  • Supporting a proper football club, instead of Arsenal

This method greatly helped Jeremy Clarkson, who encountered Piers Morgan, and after finding out that he didn't want to be punched in the face, then immediately punched the smug ballbag in the face.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theessexfox said:

I don't want to draw attention to the vile, attention-seeking stain on humanity, who is usually just a bellend for his arrogance or ignorance.

Utterly skin-crawling, and the sort of backward view that entrenches the stigma around mental health in society, particularly amongst men, where suicide is the biggest killer between 20-50. With his platform and outreach, this is disgusting. Thankfully every response I've read has put him in his place. 

Ignore the cvnt ...    If everyone did that he would cease to exist.

9 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Ignore the cvnt ...    If everyone did that he would cease to exist.

Instead of just admitting he messed up, he's tried worming his way around it like the muppet he is.

Personally had three grand months, which have helped me finish off my degree to the best of my ability, yet over the past 3/4 days I've dipped dramatically. Basically triggered by a fluey/cold bug, couldn't exercise which has been my go to over the past few months, negative thoughts creeping in through feeling run down. BUT, I'm aware of it, the cold is going, I can get back in the gym and fingers crossed things will be alright. Both anxiety and depression are such b*stard's, they can turn you into a horrible person to be around and make you want to rip your head off. People like Piers Morgan are so so fortunate that they've never had to put up and fight with this terrible thing.

• Like 1

Winston Churchill suffered from serious bouts of depression .. or the black dog has he called it.

Like to have seen Piers Morgan say to Churchill to man up .

Think Churchill is  slightly more important than Piers Morgan in the annals of British history.

Edited by RODNEY FERNIO
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, TK95 said:

Brave post mate, I hope you feel a little better for sharing your story on here.

My advice is the same as the others, speak to your GP first and then take it from there. 

It's no surprise that a family tragedy started the chain of events for you. For me it was a sudden illness and major surgery that led to my depression. I literally had to be dragged to my GP by a mate and I'm eternally grateful to him for doing so.

I encourage you to surrender a bit and stop trying to put on a brave face. You're not being true to yourself or those who care about you and it is totally exhausting as you say. The day I eventually held my hands up and admitted I had a problem was the day things started to improve for me.

Keep us updated on your progress mate and look back through this thread at the many success stories on here.

11 hours ago, theessexfox said:

Piers Morgan sadly has some psychopath tendencies I think.

He doesn't display much self awareness and shows very little empathy for others. He really is lacking in emotional intelligence.

I'm sure he was just trying to be clever and controversial with this tweet, but hopefully he's now seen the error of his ways. I just hope he or his family never get to experience depression or mental illness themselves.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

Personally had three grand months, which have helped me finish off my degree to the best of my ability, yet over the past 3/4 days I've dipped dramatically. Basically triggered by a fluey/cold bug, couldn't exercise which has been my go to over the past few months, negative thoughts creeping in through feeling run down. BUT, I'm aware of it, the cold is going, I can get back in the gym and fingers crossed things will be alright. Both anxiety and depression are such b*stard's, they can turn you into a horrible person to be around and make you want to rip your head off. People like Piers Morgan are so so fortunate that they've never had to put up and fight with this terrible thing.

The beauty of this post for me is that you're fully aware that this 'dip' you're going through is only temporary mate.

You know what's triggered it, and you know what to do to get back on track.

It WILL pass, and you will soon return to that place of calm and clarity which is our natural default setting as humans.

Whenever I experience a dip like this, I KNOW that my thinking at this time is definitely not to be trusted. If my mood is low I never make big decisions and I try to avoid any important stuff until I get myself back 'online' again.

Its only ever temporary but it's shit when it happens. It's just a case of riding it out but believing 100% that things will return back to normal soon.

Your next three grand months are just around the corner I'm sure... :thumbup:

• Like 2

Knowing when a dip is coming and how to deal with it is crucial. Just like the ups and downs of supporting City you'll get these dips. Find your coping mechanism whatever it may be and don't take it too bad that you are in a dark place. Try and turn the demons into your friends-Ask them why the fook they are messing with your mind and wait for them to p?SS off for a while. It's all about  coping, realising the issue and accepting the downs will come...just enjoy the ups!

Edited by Raj
  • Like 2

On 2017-5-5 at 22:44, TK95 said:

I suffered from a bout of depression many years ago.  Until I went to my GP I didn't know it was depression, I just knew things weren't right, I wasn't smiling, I wasn't sleeping properly and nothing seemed good.

What I didn't know was that depression causes physiological changes that make things worse.  These can be treated with drugs to break the cycle, I was on them for about a month and they worked.  So as other posters have advised, going to your GP is the first step on the road to recovery.

Please be aware that you will also have to deal with the source of your depression.  A family tragedy, most notably a bereavement, is recognised as the event that is most likely to cause depression.  Divorce is also up there with bad things that can bring you down.  Dealing with issues is a mental process and cognitive therapy, which helped me, is one possibility.  This thread has a lot of good advice in that regard, if you have time please go through it.  This would help you to see that you are not alone, so many of us have needed help with depression at one time or another, and that no matter how bad you feel now, there is a way through this that can lead to a more joyous and fulfilling life.

You can recover because you have taken the significant step of asking for advice, which means you want to be well.  Some depressed people cannot bring themselves to make that vital step.  Talking to others is good, please keep going and I wish you well.

• Like 2

I read the Piers Morgan quote.  I'm not given to strong words but it made me seethe.  At the very least the man is ignorant of mental health issues and their treatment.  As for his 'man-up' comment - would you tell someone with a broken leg to get on with it and run?  It would be plainly ridiculous, in the same way telling someone with depression to man-up, when there are both physiological and psychological issues to address, is not helpful in the extreme.  I hope that he is ignored by everyone with more than one brain cell.

Edited by Crinklyfox
Typo

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but the NHS have some fairly solid advice on improving well being.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/Pages/improve-mental-wellbeing.aspx

Learn something new to feel a small sense of achievement, volunteer or help someone in some small way to feel a sense of being a part of something good, connect with people to build relationships, be active in some small way, and be aware of how you feel and how things affect you and try to reduce negative effects.

You could do the first four points by volunteering in your local community and taking an easy evening course once a week. The last point is probably the toughest but there are mindfulness courses online and the NHS can refer you. I met a woman who works for the NHS doing remote computer-based cognitive behavioural therapy courses which she said you can do online yourself if you refer yourself.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice, I have heartfelt appreciation. 

As I'm still at university, I registered today at the counselling and well-being service. 

I had heard of this many times but never visited until now.

The lady at the desk was very supportive, made me fill in a form and I should hopefully be seen by one of the counselors this week. 

Will then take it from there.

I know it'll be hard to let it all come out in that first session, but I feel a lot better having made this initial step.

When I came back this eve, one of my flatmates asked where I was earlier as she needed to borrow something.

So I told her the truth, like you guys said, it's better to talk and be open about it.

But what she told me, I didn't realise she had actually been using the service for a few months now. 

Like myself, she also tried to hide many of her problems. But is grateful that she did eventually seek help. I had no idea

It seems mental health can affect us all. Having read through some of this thread too, it overwhelms me with support that I'm not so alone.

Together I hope we can all fight this and raise awareness. I wish others luck in their recovery too

• Like 3

I often scroll through this thread and although i'll admit i find myself feeling 'down' on occasion it's nothing compared to what some of you guys go or are going through!

I read on and you lot really do help restore my faith in humanity the amount of support you give eachother, it's very heart warming!

keep all your heads up your awesome 

:scarf:

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, sk3since03 said:

I often scroll through this thread and although i'll admit i find myself feeling 'down' on occasion it's nothing compared to what some of you guys go or are going through!

I read on and you lot really do help restore my faith in humanity the amount of support you give eachother, it's very heart warming!

keep all your heads up your awesome 

:scarf:

I was thinking similarly the other day.

It has evolved from a simple thread into a de facto support group.

Maybe it should be pinned?

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1