Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Pinkman

Depression

On 18/07/2023 at 15:39, urban.spaceman said:

*** On the other hand, 25,000 posts is a bit much innit?

The fact that you’ve got twice as many rep points, versus posts, against your name should tell you that we all enjoy reading your comments. Enormously so! 👍

• Like 1

Been working with a service user in clinic for 2 months, generally a history of body dysmorphia. Took their own life. It’s Fcuking broke me. Found out yesterday, not slept at all. I urge anyone who ever needs help to please reach out. There are people who genuinely care and want to help. I feel like Fcuking shit. Not sure what I’m going to get from this this? But I need to offload somewhere and the mrs is shit when it comes to this 

Edited by casablancas
Typo
  • Sad 9

7 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Been working with a service user in clinic for 2 months, generally a history of body dimorphia. Took their own life. It’s Fcuking broke me. Found out yesterday, not slept at all. I urge anyone who ever needs help to please reach out. There are people who genuinely care and want to help. I feel like Fcuking shit. Not sure what I’m going to get from this this? But I need to offload somewhere and the mrs is shit when it comes to this 

Try not to suppress it - I'm so sorry that you've endured this though. Time will slowly reduce the impact and hopefully you can become stronger for it.  

Trying to be positive but I know this must be absolutely awful for you right now.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Been working with a service user in clinic for 2 months, generally a history of body dimorphia. Took their own life. It’s Fcuking broke me. Found out yesterday, not slept at all. I urge anyone who ever needs help to please reach out. There are people who genuinely care and want to help. I feel like Fcuking shit. Not sure what I’m going to get from this this? But I need to offload somewhere and the mrs is shit when it comes to this 

Do you mean body dysmorphic disorder (BDD)? It's an awful mental condition which is almost impossible to escape from, because the sufferer can't replace or easily repair the body they already have and dislike so much. So perhaps that might be a slight consolation to you. 

2 hours ago, String fellow said:

Do you mean body dysmorphic disorder (BDD)? It's an awful mental condition which is almost impossible to escape from, because the sufferer can't replace or easily repair the body they already have and dislike so much. So perhaps that might be a slight consolation to you. 

Yeah it’s a typo. Like I said not really slept. 

I’ve been having a good last couple of months but over the last few weeks it’s beginning to dawn on me that I know literally nobody in the area where I’ve moved to about 7-8 months ago and I’ve got absolutely no idea how to meet new people. Bit of a depressing existence when you work for 5 days and then do fvck all for two days, all to go back into the next 5 days of working when there doesn’t seem to be any point to it all. At least the football is back next week. 

3 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

I’ve been having a good last couple of months but over the last few weeks it’s beginning to dawn on me that I know literally nobody in the area where I’ve moved to about 7-8 months ago and I’ve got absolutely no idea how to meet new people. Bit of a depressing existence when you work for 5 days and then do fvck all for two days, all to go back into the next 5 days of working when there doesn’t seem to be any point to it all. At least the football is back next week. 

Have you considered MeetUp.com (which has various groups catered for different interests)?

Or RoundTable?

Of course meeting new people for the first time isn't easy, but with effort it can be enjoyable over time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wymsey said:

Have you considered MeetUp.com (which has various groups catered for different interests)?

Or RoundTable?

Of course meeting new people for the first time isn't easy, but with effort it can be enjoyable over time.

Funnily enough I was looking at MeetUp prior to writing this post but they literally have nothing apart from one group that is clearly outside my demographic. 

I’ll take another look and maybe bite the bullet one day. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Funnily enough I was looking at MeetUp prior to writing this post but they literally have nothing apart from one group that is clearly outside my demographic. 

I’ll take another look and maybe bite the bullet one day. 

Maybe do some local volunteering?  Or wait for the football and shout at the TV in the pub until someone talks to you :)

Guest Mee-9
18 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

I know how you're feeling mate. 

In December I did exactly the same as you, moved to an area where I've got no mates and I have no idea also what's around and how to meet people here. I've felt the same when it comes to work also.  (I've moved from the Loughborough area to Rutland, bloody married a toff didn't I and had a child with her. Everyone here is proper up themselves, and it's all fancy cheese and winery's. I miss kebab houses and pubs which are deemed fancy as they serve Estrella on tap) 

One thing I've done is join the gym, I go puregym and despite being in my own world a lot whilst there to be amongst others is quite good. Some people strike up a conversation now too. I've also started looking for 5 a side teams and stuff now but have got some more confidence back from this. 

I've felt exactly like you have mate with the 5 days of work, 2 of nothing to do or people to see. So I would tend to work just 7 days a week, as I worked for myself. Not healthy at all, but I found getting memberships to like National Trust and English Heritage quality to help this. Even if the missus is busy i'd go out for the afternoon do something and see something different, and end up having a chat with people that worked at places and yeah. Even a walk up Bradgate you'll end up saying hello to half of Leicestershire. 

Saw in another thread you're from Loughborough? There's some great gyms and sports clubs there, used to play in the Leisure Leagues up at the uni. There's also some great pubs and places to meet people, we always used to go to The Phantom for quiz night. Really friendly place. There's also a snooker hall, used to be a Rileys there and it's a cracking place to go in the evening, even watching some sport there is great. Puregym Loughborough in the evenings is always buzzing too, 24hrs. If you're feeling like rubbish head there as it's quite a social place! Not sure if fitness is you're thing though bro but it's definitely helped my mental health massively. 

There's a few people on here for definite in the Loughborough area. Sure a few of us would be up for a get together. I'd be game to pop back as I miss the place. Hit me up if you need anything mate. I've felt/feel the same as you at times. 

36 minutes ago, Mee-9 said:

we always used to go to The Phantom for quiz night. Really friendly place.

Can vouch for this. It changed a lot over the last few years but has always been a good quiz.

If you were a regular you'll probably know our team well haha. We've mostly all drifted away - and I moved up to Manchester - since Covid though. Need to find a new quiz up this way, come to think of it...

8 hours ago, Mee-9 said:

I know how you're feeling mate. 

In December I did exactly the same as you, moved to an area where I've got no mates and I have no idea also what's around and how to meet people here. I've felt the same when it comes to work also.  (I've moved from the Loughborough area to Rutland, bloody married a toff didn't I and had a child with her. Everyone here is proper up themselves, and it's all fancy cheese and winery's. I miss kebab houses and pubs which are deemed fancy as they serve Estrella on tap) 

One thing I've done is join the gym, I go puregym and despite being in my own world a lot whilst there to be amongst others is quite good. Some people strike up a conversation now too. I've also started looking for 5 a side teams and stuff now but have got some more confidence back from this. 

I've felt exactly like you have mate with the 5 days of work, 2 of nothing to do or people to see. So I would tend to work just 7 days a week, as I worked for myself. Not healthy at all, but I found getting memberships to like National Trust and English Heritage quality to help this. Even if the missus is busy i'd go out for the afternoon do something and see something different, and end up having a chat with people that worked at places and yeah. Even a walk up Bradgate you'll end up saying hello to half of Leicestershire. 

Saw in another thread you're from Loughborough? There's some great gyms and sports clubs there, used to play in the Leisure Leagues up at the uni. There's also some great pubs and places to meet people, we always used to go to The Phantom for quiz night. Really friendly place. There's also a snooker hall, used to be a Rileys there and it's a cracking place to go in the evening, even watching some sport there is great. Puregym Loughborough in the evenings is always buzzing too, 24hrs. If you're feeling like rubbish head there as it's quite a social place! Not sure if fitness is you're thing though bro but it's definitely helped my mental health massively. 

There's a few people on here for definite in the Loughborough area. Sure a few of us would be up for a get together. I'd be game to pop back as I miss the place. Hit me up if you need anything mate. I've felt/feel the same as you at times. 

Thanks mate. 

I was actually at PureGym for a while but the amount I was spending on it compared to what I was getting back wasn’t really worth it so I jacked it in. I reckon I’ve got a bit of an angry looking face lol

I have been Phantom before and when I was there it was definitely more the uni demographic and being 24 myself not entirely sure I fit into all that now. Did get speaking to couple lads in Jam Garden and shared a couple of fags together but after a hour or so conversation the usual happens and you go your separate ways. I suppose I can meet people but fvck knows how to make it meaningful. 

I’d definitely be up for a pint or two if people on here were about. 

On 02/08/2023 at 23:25, Ian Nacho said:

Been trying to go on my phone less and less of late due to hearing that studies have found that as phone usage increases so does depression. I’ve deleted Twitter (as I just was endlessly scrolling on it) and set it so my notifications come through every hour and a half and I’m feeling better for it. 

Sleep mode and do not disturb are very useful tools to regulate phone use too.

Your can also limit the time you spend on some apps

• Thanks 1

On 03/08/2023 at 04:50, weller54 said:

Finally off Citalopram!.. 

Reduced dose very gradually over about 6 months.  Hope I never have to go back on the things. 

Well done! I’m going to start coming off when the weather warms up a bit, I’ve already reduced from 20mg to 10mg last year.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Well done! I’m going to start coming off when the weather warms up a bit, I’ve already reduced from 20mg to 10mg last year.

Excellent!!.. 

That was the hardest step down for me!.. 

I split the 10mg tab in half and took approx 5mg for about 2 months.... 

Very gradually is the key. 

Good luck. 

7 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

I find it too ease to press ignore limit whenever I do that. 

I reckon it's still better than not having it on. It gets you to think about the time you're using it instead of disappearing into a doomscrolling trance. I managed to get my time on Instagram down to zero using it.

@casablancas  Just checking in on you buddy to see how you are doing. I often read this thread and care deeply about the people who post in here but don’t always reply- often because the minute I sit down with my tablet I have a now 2 year old bouncing all over me. I just hope you know you tried and I’m sure you did your best..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...