Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
ScouseFox

Inler fails to make Switzerland squad

lol so mad comparing inler to king ffs have some respect.

also interested to see how someone who got made to look sunday league by aston villa and bury is going to be a great asset when we've got real madrid away.

I'd like to see King making an impact at Frosinone for their CL challenge in four years time.

I think its admirable by the Swiss that they actually have the balls to drop a player that has won so many caps but hasn't been playing/playing well to earn his place in the squad. Same can't be said about England and Rooney.

Hodgson is scared to death about dropping Rooney, fairplay to the Swiss gaffer!

Guest MattP

I think its admirable by the Swiss that they actually have the balls to drop a player that has won so many caps but hasn't been playing/playing well to earn his place in the squad. Same can't be said about England and Rooney.

Absolutely spot on.

Hodgson is scared to death about dropping Rooney, fairplay to the Swiss gaffer!

Absolutely spot on.

Dropping a player with little to no match practice in the league doesn't automatically mean he can't come good for the national team. I agree match practice is important, but not the sole factor. Austria's manager has been depending on Marc Janko (now at FC Basel) for years, even when the latter wasn't playing a lot at Trabzonspor and had to follow a personal training regime, separated from the rest of the team. Similar story with their goalkeeper.

Both, among many others, have been instrumental to their national team's success in the EURO qualifying stages.

From a manager's point of view, you either have confidence in your players to deliver on the day and to play an instrumental role or you don't. Team Switzerland manager Petkovic hasn't been without controversy in the past, doesn't come across as overly likeable in the media and did leave a bit of a sour aftertaste for not speaking out publicly following Friday's nominations.

I'm now curious to find out how we approach the two friendlies against Ireland and Bosnia without the previous team captain.

He's had a few opportunities to come on and make some magic.  Unfortunately, however, I've never seen much from him.  
With Kante and Drinky playing so well, it's always going to be hard for him to break into the starting 11.  He could certainly do a job next season though, considering the increased number of games we're likely to have.

Thought he played well against England though.  He'll be majorly pissed off.

Was he a Pearson or Claudio signing?

He's had a few opportunities to come on and make some magic.  Unfortunately, however, I've never seen much from him.  

With Kante and Drinky playing so well, it's always going to be hard for him to break into the starting 11.  He could certainly do a job next season though, considering the increased number of games we're likely to have.

Thought he played well against England though.  He'll be majorly pissed off.

Was he a Pearson or Claudio signing?

Ranieri wanted him to join last summer.

Let's not pretend like he hasn't had chances to impress.

There must have been half a dozen games that he's played for us, either as a starter or having been on as a sub for long enough to make an impact.

He's just too slow, too ponderous, typical of Italian football. He never demonstrated the passing ability of Drinky, or the ball winning capabilities of Kante.

Can see why Napoli let him go, must've been laughing!

I do feel for him. However, if we do quality for the Champions League (which is looking likely), he may play a good role in next season due to the amount of games there will be not only in the Premier League, but in Europe. I rate Inler, he's a very talented CM/CDM and I still like him being part of the squad.

Maybe it's been mentioned before, but didn't Ranieri say in a press conference a few weeks ago that essentially he told Inler that he was surplus to requirements, and that he'd be better off moving in January. To which Inler replied with something along the lines of "I want to stay and fight for my place"?

Let's not pretend like he hasn't had chances to impress.

There must have been half a dozen games that he's played for us, either as a starter or having been on as a sub for long enough to make an impact.

He's just too slow, too ponderous, typical of Italian football. He never demonstrated the passing ability of Drinky, or the ball winning capabilities of Kante.

Can see why Napoli let him go, must've been laughing!

He just does not suit us whatsoever. Don't think that makes him a bad player though.

There is surely more to come from Inler? Surely?

I was quite excited when we were signing him as I thought of him as a composed head, a deep lying playmaker type thing.

The Swiss captain, lots of appearances for Napoli etc. Of all the summer signings THIS was the fella I was most looking forward to seeing play. And that's the truth.

I think my kinda dismissal of him reflects my disappointment in him. He HAS had a few chances, albeit not many. But when he has played I've seen a player so far off what I was expecting. I think it's been primarily about pace (again). On the ball, he's fine. But he doesn't have the bursts of speed and energy that our regular pair have and that's been crucial to how we play.

So.... unless we change our style next season (hope not..) I see him having little future with us and we'll probably see him leave to join a Chievo or summat.

Regarding him being dropped by Switzerland..im surprised. But I agree with those who say the manager has had the gonads to drop him.

lol so mad comparing inler to king ffs have some respect.

also interested to see how someone who got made to look sunday league by aston villa and bury is going to be a great asset when we've got real madrid away.

Come on the play styles of Bury and are are hugely differen. Madrid style may be better with inler in there. They will have a e slower style of build up play, conversely we may sit back more which can be to inlers advantage. Additionally I can't see even vardy okazaki drinkwater kante and Albrighton being able to press like they have for long periods

Come on the play styles of Bury and are are hugely differen. Madrid style may be better with inler in there. They will have a e slower style of build up play, conversely we may sit back more which can be to inlers advantage. Additionally I can't see even vardy okazaki drinkwater kante and Albrighton being able to press like they have for long periods

:blink:

not too fussed about "different playing styles". someone who has looked massively out of his depth in our playing style against the likes of bury, aston villa and hull is not going to go to atletico madrid, psg or any of the top teams in europe and be a valuable asset. 

I think the role Cambiasso fulfilled when we were battling to avoid relegation left a bigger footprint than has been acknowledged.. Perhaps whoever scouted and bought him thought that Inler would be the shoe-in to replace him. It's just that the team has developed in a different direction. I was disappointed that Cambiasso didn't stay but it's not made an half-penny-worth of difference really, has it? As has been noted by most people now - City are a team rather than a squad. Claudio has a subs bench but it seems that he uses it to exchange Okizaki for Ulloa when he tires or to supplement the defence by taking Mahrez off. There has been an incidence (or two) when he's 'broken the glass' when there's been an emergency and the 'shape' has needed a dramatic change.

I'm disappointed too that Inler hasn't made the impact I thought he'd make. I could see him spraying long intelligent passes forward on to the feet of Vardy and Mahrez but how can you introduce a player like Inler into a team that's working so well in the way it does? How does a team adapt to include a player whose style of play would demand adaptation. I think Schlupp is a far bigger conundrum for Ranieri than Inler.

Jeff has actually been unfortunate having his injury when he did, he is a decent utility player with pace something you need in our midfield and attack.

Where's the conundrum?

Too many forget that football is now a squad game.

Fortunately , with the exception of Jeffs injury, James injury from last season ,we have had few injuries. Bar a couple of suspensions, we have largely had a settled team.

Kante arrived in the summer, what were we to expect? He was  new to the PL? Would he take time to adjust to the change? By all accounts he spoke little English.

DD did not have a good first season in PL,would he come good? Would Kingy hold down a regular place?

I have no doubt that once Esteban said he was not returning,CR wanted an experienced central midfielder,probably thinking,as he told us at the time,survival was the priority.

Who could foresee how DD & NG would link and play so well as a pair? Magnificent!

For me the best thing about Inler is that he is clearly a team player. Realistically, when he signed,he might have anticipated a regular starting place. It hasn't happened but he has become part of the close knit group,probably frustrated at his lack of opportunity but not rocking the boat. 

It's very unfortunate for Gokhan. I was over the moon when we signed him but he's just unsuitable for our style of football that has evolved over the season.

Didn't do the swiss much good though, did it?

Fo whatever reason, they lost, whether Inler would have made a huge difference I don't know. But what i do know is how much better England look without Rooney.

Absolutely agree with that, hopefully it is now so blatant Woy can't ignore reality.

I think Inler and even maybe Huth still have a chance of going, given these results, but it is a long shot.

Guest Cujek

Absolutely agree with that, hopefully it is now so blatant Woy can't ignore reality.

I think Inler and even maybe Huth still have a chance of going, given these results, but it is a long shot.

I doubt Huth will be going

Archived