Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

King Richards road right now - Ranieri mural

Artist adding Leicester City players to his amazing Claudio Ranieri mural

By Tim_Healy27  |  Posted: May 12, 2016

Matt Short Photography14289037-large.jpg

Richard Wilson starts on Riyad Mahrez

Comments (0)

After scoring a hit with his giant mural of Claudio Ranieri artist Richard Wilson has been commissioned to paint the Leicester City players.

First of the 11 to be depicted on the wall in Kate Street, Leicester is Riyad Mahrez.

Richard, a van driver from Wembley, is staying in the city until he completes the task.

Read more: Leicester City mural can go ahead thanks to hotel waiving £1,200 bill for artist

He started the mural on the wall of Marks Electrical last month with the portrait of Claudio.

When Spurs failed to beat Chelsea, giving City the title, Richard nipped back up to Leicester to add the word "Champions".

Since then the mural has been visited by thousands of City fans.

Between now and May 27 he is being put up free by the Holiday Inn Express, next to the King Power Stadium.

He said: "There's space on the wall for 11 players and they will all be the size of Claudio. But I will have to turn the corner to fit them all on

."I am using eight cans of spray paint on each figure."

He says it will take more than a day to paint each one.The list of players who will make the final 11 is a secret.

Richard added: "People will have to come along each day to see who is next."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Spray-artist-commissioned-paint-Leicester-City/story-29265578-detail/story.html#ixzz48X08nNmv 

Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Leicester City mural can go ahead thanks to hotel waiving £1,200 bill for artist

By Tom_Mack  |  Posted: May 11, 2016

14276624-large.jpg

Leicester City mural can go ahead thanks to hotel waiving £1,200 bill for artist

Comments (2)

A city hotel has offered mural artist Richard Wilson a room for free for more than two weeks so he can complete his LCFC artwork.

Thousands of city fans have visited the mural in Kate Street, behind the Marks Electrical store in Glenfield Road, Leicester, to be photographed with it, as well as Claudio Ranieri and snooker champion Mark Selby.

QPR fan Richard, who lives in London, decided a few weeks ago to use his own time and money to come and paint the mural for the people of Leicester after being inspired by the football team's amazing rise to the top.

At first it was just a picture of manager Claudio Ranieri and an LCFC flag but after Leicester won the Premier League, Richard returned to add the word "champions" to the mural.

Richard, who is receiving no funding for his work, had hoped to add 11 players to the mural but he did not think he could afford to stay in Leicester for the time it would take to complete it.

Luckily the Holiday Inn Express next to the King Power Stadium offered him a room for free until up to May 27 to make sure he is able to complete the mural for the people of Leicester.

General manager Denise Jennings said: "There's been a fantastic buzz around Leicester since City won the Premier League.

"We think it's great what Richard is doing and we were very happy to support him."

Read more: Mural artist adds "Champions" to his Leicester City mural

14261612-large.jpg

Richard said: "I came back to Leicester on Monday and I wasn't sure I'd be able to afford to get the 11 players all done.

"But the Holiday Inn Express is letting me stay for free, which would have cost me about £1,200 usually, so that means I can really do this."

Read more: http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Mural-artwork-ahead-thanks-hotel-waiving-1-200/story-29258662-detail/story.html#ixzz48LxdeE63 

Follow us: @@leicester_Merc on Twitter | leicestermercury on Facebook

Hello, I would just like to point out that we are in fact paying Richard a considerable amount of money to complete the mural and it is not correct to say he is receiving no funding. I have already contacted the Mercury about this and the story at the above link has been changed now.

When will the players be added? I'd prefer to have my pic as it is currently.

Sorry, I didn't get notification of this message or I would have answered earlier. He's started to add the players now I'm afraid.

For those who didn't see it, we also had Mark Selby come down to have his picture taken.

mark-selby.png

I see some scrotum is flogging print on ebay....

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

8f8ada389bcfdd4a676797ac15a91825.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Please send me a link to the actual auction.

Thanks.

I don't think the final 11's that much of a secret.

It is an obvious 11 but it would be a real shame to not get Andy King on there, unless he is planning a special Andy King Mural with three classic gurns next to each trophy.

Hello, I would just like to point out that we are in fact paying Richard a considerable amount of money to complete the mural and it is not correct to say he is receiving no funding. I have already contacted the Mercury about this and the story at the above link has been changed now.

Money well spent.  :D

This is fantastic, the level of detail the artist is getting from spray cans is amazing. He couldn't have imagined having a better portfolio for his work, hopefully he starts to see some commissions coming his way so he can do it full time.

Marks Electrical, I'm guessing you own the copyright for this work? I'm sure the image would be popular on a good quality T-shirt. It would fly out in the club shop if you could get some sort of deal with the club.

This is fantastic, the level of detail the artist is getting from spray cans is amazing. He couldn't have imagined having a better portfolio for his work, hopefully he starts to see some commissions coming his way so he can do it full time.

Marks Electrical, I'm guessing you own the copyright for this work? I'm sure the image would be popular on a good quality T-shirt. It would fly out in the club shop if you could get some sort of deal with the club.

Already under discussion. Thanks.  :)

It is an obvious 11 but it would be a real shame to not get Andy King on there, unless he is planning a special Andy King Mural with three classic gurns next to each trophy.

I sent the artist an email last week explaining the Andy King situation and this was his reply:

"Hey Billy,

Thank you so much!! And thanks for input too!

Tbh nothing's finalised yet, due to the size of the wall there's room for 11. But I might have more room and can be flexible but hard for me to commit to anything exactly right now.

It's obviously an issue with the space, and time, because ideally all the squad who have played would get painted.

There are other possible works I can do around the area as well, so I'm really hopeful I can pay tribute to everyone who deserves.

Rich"

Does it really matter what it was?

No of course not. It's entirely up to Marks what they pay/sponsor him. I was just making an observation based on a conversation I had with a friend.

The initial perception was that he was doing it for free. I believe he approached Marks after finding the blank wall and they agreed to allow him to use it to paint the original work with just Ranieri and the flag. After we won the PL, they then invited him back to add the players and offered/agreed a sum for the work, so it has now effectively become a commissioned artwork.

Archived