Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

England v Turkey.... Vardy starts!

Have a word - his age means he'll probably go further than Vardy but as goalscorers they're on a similar level in terms of strike rate, while vardy actually has an allround game.

Blinkers here mate, Kane is a more complete player than Vardy.

Hart

Walker

Smalling

Cahill

Dier

Rose

Drinky

Alli

Wilshere

Vardy

Kane

The more I think about it, the more I think this particular squad is perfect for a 3 5 2 or similar formation.

You'd need Dier in that midfield though and he'd probably have to replace Drinky or Wilshere.

A diamond with Dier - Wilshere & Drinky - Alli would be the other most suitable option.

Roy's never going to use a system that compliments the players he has available though.

Have a word - his age means he'll probably go further than Vardy but as goalscorers they're on a similar level in terms of strike rate, while vardy actually has an allround game.

Kane has scored 20+ for two consecutive seasons now. Top player.

Not having that - vardy offers far more besides goals than kane does; assists and linkup play being the obvious one from yesterday: the two chances at the end - vardy spots the ball through to kane in the box and plays it as quickly as possible; in the break kane holds on too long and plays a ball no one will get to as a result. Vardy is by far the more complete player, Kane is just a goalscorer. Annoyingly it looks like he'll be on of the best since Linekar, but a complete player he definitely isn't

vardy needs to start the euros why can't we play with two up top for a change really go for it,if we sit back and get beat woy is done for.we need more of a threat than just kane attack is the best form of defense

Not having that - vardy offers far more besides goals than kane does; assists and linkup play being the obvious one from yesterday: the two chances at the end - vardy spots the ball through to kane in the box and plays it as quickly as possible; in the break kane holds on too long and plays a ball no one will get to as a result. Vardy is by far the more complete player, Kane is just a goalscorer. Annoyingly it looks like he'll be on of the best since Linekar, but a complete player he definitely isn't

I'd agree Kane is more of a complete striker than Vardy, he is stronger and has more of an aerial threat and his striking from range is better too, but Vardy is the much better all round player, hence why he gets shunted out wide, can you imagine Kane running down the wing? Vardy is less selfish, looks up to find players, closes down and wins the ball back better and has that blistering pace and is a great finisher in and around the 6 yard box.

You'd need Dier in that midfield though and he'd probably have to replace Drinky or Wilshere.

A diamond with Dier - Wilshere & Drinky - Alli would be the other most suitable option.

Roy's never going to use a system that compliments the players he has available though.

I was debating whether an out and out anchor man would be needed with 3 central defenders and wide players working back. I think against the weaker sides (our whole group) we should be okay, if we needed the extra protection though, it's no big deal to bang Stones in there and whip Drinky out for Dier.

Though I still think a defensive mid covering 3 centre backs is over kill when one of them, Dier, can step out and patrol the gap between midfield and the 2 other defenders.

As you say though, we'll see our best(according to Hodgson) players pushed into a system that completely nullifies us and then only look decent when he's forced to change it after he hasn't learned anything for the 37th time.

Kane is certainly a better all round striker than Vardy but I find that when a player has one attribute that they excel in it creates a psychological advantage against their opponents, basically that they become shit scared of it. For Vardy it is his pace, no other strker in the league creates such a fear in defences to play a high line and they change the way they play to deal with it. Another example is Andy Carroll who power and aerial prowess reaks complete havok during set pieces and crosses it brings a completely different dynamic to the game when the opponent has to mitigate his threat.

You having a giraffe? lol

Different types of players offering different positives

Both good

One plays for a huge globally recognised club who's players automatically get picked for England

The other one plays for the Champions

... Jamie Rednapp just on SSN stating Drinkwater has to be a certain to take after the season he's had ... recognition of his ability over the course of a competition and not just one-off big games, but more importantly his general condition, match fitness and being less likely to break-down like an old Moggie-thou every other game!

Ask most people who have watched Kane this season. He plays the 10 role pretty well and he does link up. He's a much better passer than Vardy already and his game is only going to improve.

Vardy's runs are fantastic, they're smart and dangerous. He offers something that not many others do at all but he is less versatile.

I was debating whether an out and out anchor man would be needed with 3 central defenders and wide players working back. I think against the weaker sides (our whole group) we should be okay, if we needed the extra protection though, it's no big deal to bang Stones in there and whip Drinky out for Dier.

Though I still think a defensive mid covering 3 centre backs is over kill when one of them, Dier, can step out and patrol the gap between midfield and the 2 other defenders.

As you say though, we'll see our best(according to Hodgson) players pushed into a system that completely nullifies us and then only look decent when he's forced to change it after he hasn't learned anything for the 37th time.

Good point that. It's going to be another underwhelming one.

They clearly are though, if you was to ask any top manager in Europe who he'd rather have in his side I don't think there's a single Leicester player that would get the nod over any Spurs player.

It's "if you were to ask". And you're right, it's not like Mahrez, Kanté, Drinkwater, Schmeichel and even academy product Chilwell have been courted by big clubs with top managers this season....... oh ....

Saw absolutely nothing in the game that convinced me we'll be anything but an also-ran yet again. Lucky to beat Turkey. Hardly bodes well. Suppose the saving grace is that Kane & Vardy look genuinely dangerous as a pairing (and that's when they are an actual pairing rather than Kane up front and Vardy shifted out wide) but will we see that? Sparingly.

Not good.

Perhaps Hodgson can't trust other wingers in terms of being consistent, and Vardy's pace and hard-working reputation will pay off out wide?

That's probably exactly his mindset. "It never works, but it might do if I persist with it."

Ask most people who have watched Kane this season. He plays the 10 role pretty well and he does link up. He's a much better passer than Vardy already and his game is only going to improve.

Vardy's runs are fantastic, they're smart and dangerous. He offers something that not many others do at all but he is less versatile.

He's clearly not - his passing, and his awareness of when to pass is dreadful: saw it yesterday with England and saw it time and time again with Spurs; it's why they finished third and why he only got one assist - because he's regularly too selfish and doesn't pick the sensible option (great example in the West Brom game where their challenge disappeared - great counter, could have laid in one of the supporting players and probably killed the game off (I think Lamela), instead went for goal from range, wide giving West Brom the ball back, they went up the other end immediately, won a corner and got the equaliser - from potentially 2-0 to 1-1 in 30 seconds because Kane doesn't have the awareness of when to pass and when to shoot). Alternatively take our winner at Crystal Palace - Vardy in the box, difficult position, head up and squares it to Mahrez. Same scenario, does Kane square to Eriksen or does he shoot? Almost certainly the latter.

As for Vardy being less versatile - Vardy can cover more positions than Kane can: Kane is an out and out striker, literally the only thing different between him and the archetypal fox in the box like Van Nistelrooy or Linekar is his willingness to shoot from range. We may ridicule Hodgson for it, but Vardy is at least sort of capable of playing out wide (although more as a wide forward than the wide midfielder he seems to keep getting tasked as)

Anyone claiming either of them are far better than the other (like the spurs fan did) are being ridiculous, but if you're talking who offers more outside of goals, stats and performances suggest it has to be Vardy.

Vardy is a better player than Kane. Vardy has been directly involved in more goals this season than Kane. His goals to shots ratio is better than Kane. He has won more medals than Kane. He is faster than Kane, his finishing is better than Kane, his ability to pick a pass is better than Kane, he has a more intelligent football brain than Kane.

Kane has the brighter future courtesy of being younger, but right now, at this moment, for this tournament, Vardy is the best English striker there is.

Archived