Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

England v Turkey.... Vardy starts!

Dier's strengths are with tackling and breaking up play.  He can also drop back into defence when needed.  It is fair to say that he probably shades it over Drinky in this aspect but Drinky owns him all day long with his range of passing.  The problem is that when you have a back four as fragile as ours, you need that protection.  

Now, Woy really likes his attacking midfielders.  In a 433 there is only really one space for that holding midfielder, the other two are more likely to provide that attacking edge (Alli, Wilshere, Townsend, Rooney).  In a 442 (and the midfield should be a flat 4 imo rather than the diamond) then the two central midfield positions should be filled by Drinky and Dier - I think that wuld be a good partnership.  The problem Woy has with that is "What do yu do with Rooney?"  You can't play him on the wing and Vardy and Kane should start together - everyone knows that.  And Sturrudge should probably start ahead of Rooney too.

Surely as an international manager you either A:  choose a style of play and pick the best players to suit that style or B:  pick the best players and choose a style of play that suits them.  Unfortunately, Woy is confused and has tried to pick the best players and shoe horn them into style that doesn't suit them.

Just play like Leicester - it is simple and effective.

(I'm a Spurs fan, but not looking for pedantic arguments - just looking at opinions)

Drinkwater looked out of his depth tonight. Just do not think he has international class. The Premier League isn't very good at the moment, and perhaps Leicester fans will realise that if he comes up against the likes of Iniesta in the Champions League next season (what a game he had tonight). It's a shame to say it, but there is no English team that come close to the like of Barca, Madrid, Bayern, Juve. Drinkwater had an outstanding season in the league, but seemed like a rabbit in the headlights tonight. The next couple of games will be important for his potential England career, but think he struggled with the step up. He is comfortable and at home in his league winning team, and the 'unit' of Leicester is much more important that individual abilities. England have no unit - the players often don't like each other, the fans of certain clubs will hate certain players (I hate Wilshere, you all seem to hate Kane) and more individual quality is required to make the cut.

Vardy was exceptional. International games are slower, more tactical and harder to tear open individually, but Vardy has that quality. His pace and desire to run in the channels is fantastic to watch, and if he wasn't a racist I would love to see him in a Spurs shirt :P MOTM for me - was happy to go down for the pen, as is expected in professional football now days unfortunately. He should have taken then pen - but I generally think players that win it should take it unless they don't want to. I think he can have a strong impact wide in a 433 attack - I understand the desire for him to play in the middle, but Kane is just the most comfortable player in that role and agree that you can't base your tactics against 1 players strengths .. what if he got injured? No one else comes close to what Vardy offers.

Kane is praised for his frequent shooting, but as he did against Southampton - it can cost the team at times. The Kane Vardy partnership is working well. Personally I wanted Vardy - Kane - Sturridge to lead a 433 formation at the Euros, but with 1 injured I would go with 2 up top, and hope they can be remembered like previous partnerships such as Shearer Sherringham.

Rose motm was a bit silly, as I thought he made more mistakes than things he did well. For me Dier was motm. Wins so many headers, fills in for CBs at correct moments, can often start sharp passing attacks with the ball on the floor - but as he doesn't create glitter moments he is often overlooked. For me Dier is the most important player for any potential Euro success. He has made every step up in his career with ease, and perhaps what he does is taken a little for granted.

Alli is a dirty little so n so. Not sure how other fans see him, but to me he is clearly of world class potential - and carries traits of other such players like Roy Keane, Viera, Zidane or one of many others. Problem I see is him having a 'Rooney red card' moment and potentially costing us badly. Really needs to keep a lid on it, but think Pochetino is almost encouraging his dirty play - as can be expected in Argentina. Suppose he reminds me of Gazza - but worries me a bit.

Roy deserves more respect. He knows football, he knows the players, and a huge part of management is 'man management'. Making sure expectations and attitudes are where they should be can lead to anything being said to the media to influence what he wants. The abuse given to him here is awful and un deserved. He has had a great career and is not the current England manager by luck. The World Cup was poor and nobody had any expectations for a change - but the Euros will (for me) be his defining moment as England manager. We should all stick with him until after the tournament - then make judgements. Leicester are supposed to be such great supporters according to the media, but I just don't see it here. It like you wish him to fail so you can say 'I told you so'.

An awful lot of disgusting and offensive comments on this thread though - aren't Leicester fans supposed to be a little ray of sunshine?

That's really harsh on Drinkwater. How's anyone meant to impress when they're only on the pitch for 15 minutes?

"Kane is just the most comfortable player in that role." Is he? Kane might have scored one goal more than Vardy this season, but he did only get one assist all season. One! He's a great striker, no doubt, but he is either greedy or less able to pick a pass. Vardy had 6 assists and a better minutes per goal ratio. If you are forced into playing 4-3-3, then I guess you do have to put Vardy out wide. You can't drop either player, obviously, and Vardy's pace can be utilised on the flank. He is not a winger, though, and we're not currently blessed with many options in that position. That's why I think 4-3-3 isn't a good option for us. Any manager worth his salt would be able to see that Vardy and Kane are by far England's best assets, and the team should be built around them both playing in their best positions. Our weakest area is in defence, so we can't rely on keeping clean sheets. We've got to get the best out of Vardy and Kane. Anyone can see that. This is why Hodgson is getting slagged off. He's not as good as you think he is.

I just hope the poor squad attitude and the tactical changes haven't affected Vards'/Drinks' form too much by the time August rolls around..

Quite the opposite as they will be happy to come back to some sanity which is the Leicester City set up.  :thumbup:

(I'm a Spurs fan, but not looking for pedantic arguments - just looking at opinions)

Drinkwater looked out of his depth tonight. Just do not think he has international class. The Premier League isn't very good at the moment .....

I stopped reading here. The rationale for these comments is that a Club with "no heritage", "little Leicester" won the PL this season.  :rolleyes:

Roy is chatting shit. Let's hope he gets sacked.

You know what happens when someone chats shit.. They get banged.

He's clueless, says he won't be building the team around vardy. And that's why we will be coming home early.

Hahaha.. The Tottenham fans are just in a class of their own aren't they!?

What a bunch of deluded, up their own arses, blinkered, moronic tossers they are!

The team collapse with an embarrassing 70 points total after all the spaffing we had to put up with and shite such as we're coming for you, Kane's Lions etc etc and now we have to put up with FIVE of the bottlers being praised to death because they've made the England team...

Spuds fans.. All of you.. Please..

FOAD!!!

lol

Stop sitting on the fence Weller54 lol

It's actually pretty funny how much better Vardy is than Kane. Pace, workrate, strength, creates chances, scores goals & he's a team player. Vardy with his pace can cause any defence a problem, even the best in the world. Kane can't.

Vardy > Kane come on Woy sort it out.

For me, the biggest worry over Hodgson (when we play a meaningful game against a dangerous side) is I simply don't know how he'll set us up. With Ranieri..we knew.

We knew what the team would be, the formation we'd play and how we'd play.

I honestly don't believe that Woy yet knows his best side. Wouldn't it be wise now to pick his first team and his formation and to play them...now.

Maybe he is doing. I do think he'll fit Wooney in somewhere. But maybe yesterday's starting 11 was it?

Now is the time for consistency. No more tinkering.

I still have no idea why fans of other clubs post on here..especially a post that's full of inaccuracy (however well meant it is?)

It just gives ammo for those posters who like to muller someone online, the green light to do so. I've never got that.

For me, the biggest worry over Hodgson (when we play a meaningful game against a dangerous side) is I simply don't know how he'll set us up. With Ranieri..we knew.

We knew what the team would be, the formation we'd play and how we'd play.

I honestly don't believe that Woy yet knows his best side. Wouldn't it be wise now to pick his first team and his formation and to play them...now.

Maybe he is doing. I do think he'll fit Wooney in somewhere. But maybe yesterday's starting 11 was it?

Now is the time for consistency. No more tinkering.

In my opinion Col you have to pick your form players

I agree that I don't think Woy knows his best team

You can bet your life the usual suspects will be trotted out come game time

England will only ever prosper if they play the players that deserve to play not to do with which "big club" they come from

Highly doubtful he will get it right but you never know

There's so many things to work on it's a joke, we're as bad as Arsenal in that still years down the line we're still no nearer to being a proper fluid team. I thought playing the ' Tottenham Way ' was the way to go and in the friendlies vs Germany and Holland there were signs of genuine quality in midfield and attack but then yesterday we were back to looking limited. I've said it before but Danny Welbeck is one of if not the most important player for England when we play 4-3-3 as he's a wide forward who can do everything you need from that position, something Vardy cannot do. Vardy might as well not be in the squad if he's only going to play out wide, I think his best role in this squad is coming on with 20 mins to go if we're chasing a goal or as a replacement to Kane for whatever reason. It's evident Kane is now top boy and to be honest I think he has a lot of quality even though he's greedy and way less of a team player/link up man that Vardy is.

Our problems are driven from a badly organised defence that is going to be exposed so much this summer if we play the Tottenham way of attacking full backs, as although Dier can drop in as the 3rd defender it seems there's no proper understanding between Cahill and Smalling/Stones and Hart doesn't seem to be governing things either. Our lack of width elsewhere up the pitch though means our full backs HAVE to get forward and at a cost of us seeming to be more vulnerable conceding than we are at scoring.

Our other problem is Tottenham ended the season horribly and the difference in performance from the Germany game to yesterday where the former Delle Alli, Eric Dier and Harry Kane looked unbelievable and then last night they looked to be struggling in confidence and swagger. It's a big concern as our only other weapons are Vardy and Drinkwater but it's clear that's being dismissed as a style of our play. It's as if both should just be happy to be included in any squads and not to get too big for their boots.

How many times have we seen England struggle to hold on to possession, we're not comfortable with the ball for long periods we are the perfect blend and breed of players to play fast counter attacking football but it's thrown out as dated and unplayable at international level. It's complete bull shit, why do all teams have to set up the same way to combat the other? Surely by finding a system not played by the majority actually gives you a better chance of unlocking the opposition.

I fear for us if Hodgson doesn't open his eyes and stop being stubborn. Based on the squad he's picked I'd be all over a 3-4-1-2 formation with attacking full backs but Dier actually picked as a centre half and not being allowed to move forward and split the lines as Cahill and Smalling together aren't yet tight enough.

Hart

Cahill

Dier

Smalling

Clyne

Drinkwater

Alli

Rose/Bertrand

Rooney

Vardy

Kane

In my opinion Col you have to pick your form players

I agree that I don't think Woy knows his best team

You can bet your life the usual suspects will be trotted out come game time

England will only ever prosper if they play the players that deserve to play not to do with which "big club" they come from

Highly doubtful he will get it right but you never know

Completely with you there bud. Hope you're OK lad.

Seriously you're a twat with so little knowledge of the game. Go relish your 3rd place finish behind Arsenal. Drinkwater was class and Alli sucked but you're blinded by stupidity so carry on. You won't find me on another fans forum but you must love the attention even when you spew crap for the response like mine. You're a moron.

Come on. Apart from slating Drinky, he wasn't that back, and incredibly complimentary to Vardy.

He's not so wrong about Roy either. Rather than being a vardy hater, he's more likely trying to balance the cohesion of a largely English Spurs side, and keeping Kane in a formation where he scores.

I'm completely lacking in vitriol for Spurs. Yeah, a lot were up themselves, but they massively capitulated, and didn't even end up as our biggest rivals on the last day of the season. We won. Show some magnamity.

Hart

Smalling       Cahill         Dier

Albrighton           Drinkwater           Wilshere             Rose

Alli/Rooney

Vardy         Kane

This team for me would be spot on. Since Albrighton isn't going it should be Clyne. Leicesters great escape came about after Pearson realised our defence was awful and having 3 CBs made life easier for them. Englands defence is shite so why not use the same method.

I would personally start Alli but since its Woy and he licks Rooneys bumhole then im sure he would start. No doubt this tournament will throw up some controversial things for us. It always does.

Woy is a bloody willy puller

http://talksport.com/football/roy-hodgson-insists-englands-team-wont-be-built-around-leicester-star-jamie-vardy

“And furthermore, I don’t intend at the moment, with respect and deference to lots of other players, to play a system which suits Jamie Vardy and only Jamie Vardy alone. It has to suit a lot of players.
Right thats why as soon as we switched to a formation which suited Vardy we looked better in attack, seeing as our attack is the only good thing in our team surely we should focus on getting the maximum out of it, like us at the start of the season. We knew we would concede goals but we had more then enough in attack to get the results needed.

He's being asked why he doesn't play Vardy up front, and is getting sick of it, he has his preferred system, 4231, one which most of his squad play regularly at club level. Vardy and Drinkwater don't and Roy shouldn't try and change 2/4 years of preparation playing this way to accommodate one player, and I hope he would say the same about Rooney. Do any of you  remember Sven and his Beckham quarter-back formation, bloody awful. At the moment Vardy has to prove he can play that wide role, or at least play it better than Sterling/Lallana/Townsend, if he can't he will be used as an impact player/plan B.

Where was Kane playing 4 years ago? The Spurs youth system, so what, he'd have been happy to play in a 4-4-2 with the Premier League's 2nd top goal scorer.

He was sat on our bench 4 seasons ago, with Jamie Vardy and Danny Drinkwater.

Kane plays that lone forward role very well at Spurs and is probably England's best player in that position when playing possession football, the problem Vardy has for England is that they are so slow getting the ball forwards that any space immediately disappears, especially if he is on the wing and having to drop deep, last night Sterling was awful and offered no support to Kane but again he was expected to track back and do the donkey work. If we want to be effective in a 4231, the 3 behind Kane need to be free to get forwards quicker, full backs need to know when to attack and when to defend and not charge forwards for every attack and the 2 need to sit protect the back four and cover any holes. Wilshere is not that sort of midfielder, Dier and Henderson are and Drinkwater can be, he can do the defensive work, but his natural game is more box to box. The biggest problem last night was our wayward full backs and awful back line, Stones coming flying out chasing the ball is a disaster waiting to happen.

It would be interesting to see Drinkwater start on Friday without Vardy, he won't have that quick forward ball to play to Jamie, see how he gets on with a slower approach,

Woy doesn't know how to play a 3 at the back formation.

I agree that formation could suit our players tho.

He hasn't picked enough centre backs to play that formation, only bringing three CBs is a terrible decision, if you sacrifice a defender you sacrifice a full back, you never play a formation with 3 full backs, but you do play with 3 centre backs and wing backs, which, considering how defence minded our full backs are, is not a bad idea. 

We also have Smalling and Stones  who can also play Right back if there is an injury crisis, or Milner/Lallana could fill in at a push. Absolute madness to go to an international tournament with only 3 centre backs.

Spurs fan in peace here.

Kane is far better than Vardy, Kane is what 22 and valued at 50 million plus linked with some of Europe's very top clubs. What was Vardy doing at that age?

What has happened for Leicester this season has been incredible, a real unit. But no way are their players individually fantastic. It is a team made of players that were rejected by the bigger teams.

Drinkwater better than Alli or Dier ?behave, Dele Alli will go on to be one of Europe's top midfielders, and Dier is the best English player in that holding role.

Also finding the comments about the Spurs bias in the commentary, I can't recall any bias as strong as the Leicester Bias this season, with fellow managers and pro's even telling us all that they want Leicester to win the league.

I congratulate you for what you've achieved this season, really incredible. But you're all getting a little ahead of yourselves, I doubt you will come anywhere near us next season. Keep seeing our final points tally cited, but it's quite obvious that once the title was gone the players heads went and there was a strange lack of motivation for the final few games with CL football already assured.

Spurs fan in peace here.

Kane is far better than Vardy, Kane is what 22 and valued at 50 million plus linked with some of Europe's very top clubs. What was Vardy doing at that age?

What has happened for Leicester this season has been incredible, a real unit. But no way are there players individually fantastic. It is a team made of players that were rejected by the bigger teams.

Drinkwater better than Alli or Dier ?behave, Dele Alli will go on to be one of Europe's top midfielders, and Dier is the best English player in that holding role.

Also finding the comments about the Spurs bias in the commentary, I can't recall any bias as strong as the Leicester Bias this season, with fellow managers and pro's even telling us all that they want Leicester to win the league.

I congratulate you for what you've achieved this season, really incredible. But you're all getting a little ahead of yourselves, I doubt you will come anywhere near us next season. Keep seeing our final points tally cited, but it's quite obvious that once the title was gone the players heads went and there was a strange lack of motivation for the final few games with CL football already assured.

FIX BAYONETS!!!

Spurs fan in peace here.

What has happened for Leicester this season has been incredible, a real unit. But no way are their players individually fantastic. It is a team made of players that were rejected by the bigger teams.

Congratulations on finishing 3rd in a 2 horse race.

Spurs fan in peace here.

Wishing you a thoroughly shit summer a drab start to next season

Congratulations on finishing 3rd in a 2 horse race.

Heads went when the title race was over. Understandable with a young team who gave their everything. Other than bragging rights with the Gooners it doesn't really make much difference does it 2nd or 3rd and neither does it change my belief that we are going to dominate the top 4 for many years to come.

Archived