Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes_rule1978

Deeney bid rejected - Signs new contract with Watford

Nobody is putting him down, most are saying 20 mil is too much, and the message it sends to the higher quality players it not good given that we are competing in the UCL and many of our better players have the options of joining bigger clubs with better players. I remember watch a Rio Ferdinand interview and at the end of each season even when he won the UCL his first question to the leadership was: "who are we signing next year". Imagine what Vardy must be thinking, if i was on the fence, I would want to hear an outline for the clubs vision and plan for the next few years. If i were him and I hear Deeney for 20 mil if anything it would bring me closer toward signing for the Gunners.

Didn't most of our "better players" come from clubs significantly further down the pecking order than Watford?

20mil no way if Vard is 22mil den is free

Yes but this seems to be the thing that everyone is forgetting.  Vardy is only 22 million because LCFC made a massive cock up!  We all know Vardy is worth more and would fetch more if not for the release clause but it is what it is. 

He has seemed keen to join us for ages, maybe not the international flair striker we thought we would be attracting but a hard working solid striker who has proved he can score goals in the Prem, but he is a good link up man, and if the staff think he can tit into our team pattern and squad social ethic get him in. I dont few him as a replacement for Vardy, more of an addition to the "pub squad". I still envisage the likes of Musa joining us too

Tbf yeah he could tit into our team.

Didn't most of our "better players" come from clubs significantly further down the pecking order than Watford?

That time is over, I am tired of people using this argument like its normal to find hidden gems in lower leagues; and if i recall correctly we did not pay 20 mil for any single one of those players.

The market is due to shift so much in the next few years due to TV money, nobody really knows the true going rate now.

The valuation of our players is false, due to these ridiculous release clauses.

How many would value Kante at £35m, Vardy £30m and Mahrez as much as £50m. If we look at it that way, £20m for Deeney is about right.

He has seemed keen to join us for ages, maybe not the international flair striker we thought we would be attracting but a hard working solid striker who has proved he can score goals in the Prem, but he is a good link up man, and if the staff think he can tit into our team pattern and squad social ethic get him in. I dont few him as a replacement for Vardy, more of an addition to the "pub squad". I still envisage the likes of Musa joining us too

This this this. Don't know why people hate the idea of signing proven players because of money that isn't theirs. Dilly ding dilly dong we are Champions League and we aren't going to be signing players no-one has ever heard of anymore.

They are putting him down because in the same breath they are saying spend even more money on players totally untried in this league. This is £15m plus adons if he does well... Musa and Slimani are going to be £20 odd million up front, no add ons and plying their trade in average leagues.

It's the same old story, fancy name in a foreign league and people wet themselves with excitement.

I can only speak for myself, I have been against signing Musa, however to say that Slimani is just a fancy name playing in a foreign league and that is the sole reason people seem to think he is a better signing than TD? Slimani is a far better player than he is or could ever be. 

Doesn't really matter how much players cost now days, staying in this league pays for them.

I'm all for spending sensibly and on youth talent and some punts on foreign talent. etc.

But it's clear we want to keep a core of players with a certain mentality. An English core, or at least players who have been in our leagues for a while. That builds the spirit, not filling the team full of people from all around the world.

Guest BlueBrett

Sellers' market.

Unless you put retarded release clauses in all your best players' contracts of course.

That time is over, I am tired of people using this argument like its normal to find hidden gems in lower leagues; and if i recall correctly we did not pay 20 mil for any single one of those players.

"That time is over" ? Really? I'm very comfortable with signing players from lesser lights. I'd also love us to inject a couple of high-calibre, high-profile players into our squad, too. Personally, I take just as much pleasure from us not throwing obscene amounts money away and going through the bargain bucket at Aldi to find a Vardy or a Mahrez or a top freebie. 

I can only speak for myself, I have been against signing Musa, however to say that Slimani is just a fancy name playing in a foreign league and that is the sole reason people seem to think he is a better signing than TD? Slimani is a far better player than he is or could ever be.

Based on what? There's nothing to even make that comparison. Blokes 27 and only done anything of note the last two years... Sound familiar?

When he was first linked people slammed the Slimani link as he'd done absolutely nothing in his career. He's had a couple of good years in a poor league. I fail to see anything that makes you think he's better for what we need. And that's a support striker NOT a line leader.

Think Deeney is the only one who can make this move happen. He's been loyal to Watford but with all of those managerial changes/instability he might think it's time to move on to better things? Where else is he gonna get the chance to play in the champions league?

Think he'd be a good signing.

•  
  •  

Think Deeney is the only one who can make this move happen. He's been loyal to Watford but with all of those managerial changes/instability he might think it's time to move on to better things? Where else is he gonna get the chance to play in the champions league?

Think he'd be a good signing.

• He seemed visably annoyed when speaking about Flores sacking so could potentially want a move. Always speaks very highly of us too. Just alittle too expensive
    •  
  • MultiQuote
  •  
  •  

I'm not sure buying Watfords captain who had a pretty good season is as bad as some people are making out tbh

But 20 million seems a bit steep, especially if it's getting rejected

Watford seem desperate for him to stay

"They could give us £50m and it still wouldn't be enough to replace his influence on and off the pitch

Unless Troy wants to leave we shouldn't even entertain the prospect of selling"

Christ on a bike I hope this has been going on for some time and it wasn't our opening bid! Not sure if opening the bidding at £20m is the best idea.

If he's our number 1 target then he's worth it because of the potential value to the team. But considering Slimani will cost similar money and Watford appear to be wanting a hefty wedge, you wonder whether we'll press ahead with the Algerian now.

Archived