Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes_rule1978

Deeney bid rejected - Signs new contract with Watford

I quite like Watford for some reason (I think we should all have gotten over that playoff defeat), but £30m for Deeney? lol

No wonder clubs look elsewhere for talent. I mean, he's been an essential part of keeping Watford in the Premier League, but when I see that he's only two years younger than Vardy and contributed less to the scoring charts, it can't be that he's worth more than our best top division striker in 30+ years.

Anything in between £10m to £15m would've been fair.

Rather have a Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A player for half the price who is equally as good - or a player for a similiar amount of money with CL and international experience. I sense that our scouting department will deliver sooner than later...

I could just about stomach something between £15-20mill but certainly noting more than that. Will require a transfer request I guess. I hope we haven't gone in at £20 mill because whatever we have bid i'm sure we'll go back in again.

I quite like Watford for some reason (I think we should all have gotten over that playoff defeat), but £30m for Deeney? lol

No wonder clubs look elsewhere for talent. I mean, he's been an essential part of keeping Watford in the Premier League, but when I see that he's only two years younger than Vardy and contributed less to the scoring charts, it can't be that he's worth more than our best top division striker in 30+ years.

Anything in between £10m to £15 would've been fair.

Rather have a Bundesliga, La Liga or Serie A player for half the price who is equally as good - or a player for a similiar amount of money with CL and international experience. I sense that our scouting department will deliver sooner than later...

I'm sure we'd all like a players whose twice as good for half the price who also brings all the things Deeney will... Including the scouts. But it's not that easy.

We've said no big names, we've said we want people with a similar attitude to that of our group. We seem to be keen on keeping a core of British players, or those who have been in the country for years already. The old scouting articles talked about lessening risks when it comes to signings... Signing someone from your own league does just that. Even if they cost more.

We mix it up, we'll buy a Deeney. But we'll also buy a Musa from abroad, someone else with experience, a young talent we can grow.

That's what we've done for the last three years, a mix of different signings and not all our eggs in one basket. And I think we'll follow what's served us well.

It's about what he's worth to them. And ask a Watford fan. I'm their eyes he's he difference beaten relegation and success. He's their talisman, captain and best player. He's priceless to them, and probably too loyal to hand in a transfer request. So if you want him, you'll have to pay big.

I'm sure we'd all like a players whose twice as good for half the price who also brings all the things Deeney will... Including the scouts. But it's not that easy.

We've said no big names, we've said we want people with a similar attitude to that of our group. We seem to be keen on keeping a core of British players, or those who have been in the country for years already. The old scouting articles talked about lessening risks when it comes to signings... Signing someone from your own league does just that. Even if they cost more.

We mix it up, we'll buy a Deeney. But we'll also buy a Musa from abroad, someone else with experience, a young talent we can grow.

That's what we've done for the last three years, a mix of different signings and not all our eggs in one basket. And I think we'll follow what's served us well.

Spot on post to be fair. Personally really rate Deeney and think he would slot in perfectly here. We obviously really rate him with this being the third year on the bounce we have had interest/made a bid.

15m plus add ons is more than a fair price for him, but i suppose from a Watford perspective he is priceless and they could be in a serious relegation scrap next season if they lose him. Hopefully Deeney puts pressure on them to sell but we shall see.

Anyway, so we aren't ready to splash 30 mill Euros on Slimani but we'll put down pretty much the same for Deeney?

Because we've never wanted Slimani perhaps.

There is nothing to guarantee he'll be any better. Late bloomer like Deeney but operating in a lesser league. He'll cost £23m ish up front... Deeney bid was £15m plus add ons if he performs.

We are in the Champions league, we need to strengthen & the players dont want to upset the apple cart having big time charlies in the squad, Deeney would be a good option as a replacement for Okazaki who seemed a little lightweight and couldn't last the duration.

That said I still think we need a quality striker up front regardless if Vardy leaves,

Musa or Salami man 

We are in the Champions league, we need to strengthen & the players dont want to upset the apple cart having big time charlies in the squad, Deeney would be a good option as a replacement for Okazaki who seemed a little lightweight and couldn't last the duration.

That said I still think we need a quality striker up front regardless if Vardy leaves,

Musa or Salami man

Musa fits the bill as we need pace to cover Vardy, he can also play on the wing so he'll get game time in a few positions. Especially losing Schlupp and Mahrez Ito AFCON.

Just don't see how Slimani fits in with what we need.

That BBC article on our tactics made him look like he'd like to play here.

I'd probably pay 20mil, since there's little reason to penny pinch now and he seems like a good fit, but definitely not more, because there's likely cheaper and better options abroad.

Musa fits the bill as we need pace to cover Vardy, he can also play on the wing so he'll get game time in a few positions. Especially losing Schlupp and Mahrez Ito AFCON.

Just don't see how Slimani fits in with what we need.

Won't Musa be off to AFCON?

Archived