Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxes_rule1978

Deeney bid rejected - Signs new contract with Watford

Get him in. Think he would work well and fits the team ethos perfectly.

Can't wait for the Champions League next year when we play the likes of Barca and Bayern. Messi, Suarez, Neymar up against the brick walls of Morgan, Huth and Simpson.

Add to that the fact that the devastating trio of Albrighton, Vardy and Deeney would be against the likes of Hummels, Boateng and Neuer. Proper football team we are. Let's 'ave em

Is he much of an upgrade on Ulloa and 20M? It might seem like he is but unlike Ulloa Deeney plays every game.

Don't get me wrong I do rate him and his work ethic but maybe for 10m

Deeneys all round work ethic is worth double of Ulloa. Ulloa is slower than my nan and he certainly isn't a beast on the ball, especially for a man of his stature, in fact for someone so big Ulloa spends far too much time picking himself up off the floor. Ulloa is a great option from the bench, but anyone who thinks Ulloa is better than or even comparable to Deeney then I don't know what matches you have been watching.

Not to mention, £10m will be chump change in this window and from now on the prem, I don't know what anybody expects for 10m now, especially when buying from another prem club.

People moaning about Deeney need to pipe down. He's actually quality in a way that fits into our team like the missing piece of a jigsaw. He's a decent bloke to (inb4 happy slapper went to prison) and was the single best pundit on MOTD this year too. I'd snap hands off to have him here I genuinely would. Anyone that can't see the hard work, dedication and absolute beast of a player here needs to either go to specsavers or learn more about what makes a good footballer. I can only apologise that he's not got long hair and a foreign accent and doesn't dance around like a gazelle being chased by a cheetah but seriously, come on man, we are champions league man and Deeney can help us win it. 

It has nothing to do with moaning about what Deeney would bring to the club. I have 2 main issues with this, the first is fairly simple- his pricetag. Even in an inflated market anything around 20 mil is absolutely ridiculous of a player like Deeney. Secondly its the sign it sends to the top players on the squad, we need to communicate that we are serious about cementing our status. We need to signal intent, show Kante, Vardy, and Mahrez that we want to be gunning for top 4 every year from this point forward - maybe then we have a good chance of keeping all three. Make no mistake about it if Vardy bolts, then chances of retaining Kante are probably nil, Mahrez would then probably leave too. Is he a good player? Sure. Will him being on the squad make us win more games: Sure? But that is not what we are as you put it "moaning" about. As far as this reoccurring criticism that there is some kind of bias towards foreign talent and w/e characteristics you attach to them, i don't see it. I think this myth that we evaluate players based on perceived strong character, and good work rate is bs. You can't teach talent and class, you can drill in work rate; many people have pointed to Mahrez's improved tracking back and recovery. All this to say quite frankly at 20 mil there are better players available than Deeney and Slimani by all metrics is a far more talented footballer than he is. I would love Deeney just not for 20 mil (probably around 1/3 of our transfer budget and thats being generous).

Deeneys all round work ethic is worth double of Ulloa. Ulloa is slower than my nan and he certainly isn't a beast on the ball, especially for a man of his stature, in fact for someone so big Ulloa spends far too much time picking himself up off the floor. Ulloa is a great option from the bench, but anyone who thinks Ulloa is better than or even comparable to Deeney then I don't know what matches you have been watching.

Not to mention, £10m will be chump change in this window and from now on the prem, I don't know what anybody expects for 10m now, especially when buying from another prem club.

10 mil? You sure you been following what has been going on?

It has nothing to do with moaning about what Deeney would bring to the club. I have 2 main issues with this, the first is fairly simple- his pricetag. Even in an inflated market anything around 20 mil is absolutely ridiculous of a player like Deeney. Secondly its the sign it sends to the top players on the squad, we need to communicate that we are serious about cementing our status. We need to signal intent, show Kante, Vardy, and Mahrez that we want to be gunning for top 4 every year from this point forward - maybe then we have a good chance of keeping all three. Make no mistake about it if Vardy bolts, then chances of retaining Kante are probably nil, Mahrez would then probably leave too. Is he a good player? Sure. Will him being on the squad make us win more games: Sure? But that is not what we are as you put it "moaning" about. As far as this reoccurring criticism that there is some kind of bias towards foreign talent and w/e characteristics you attach to them, i don't see it. I think this myth that we evaluate players based on perceived strong character, and good work rate is bs. You can't teach talent and class, you can drill in work rate; many people have pointed to Mahrez's improved tracking back and recovery. All this to say quite frankly at 20 mil there are better players available than Deeney and Slimani by all metrics is a far more talented footballer than he is. I would love Deeney just not for 20 mil (probably around 1/3 of our transfer budget and thats being generous).

I don't think you can evaluate the price tag like you could a few years ago. With the Sky money making all of the new season Premier League Clubs amongst the richest in world football £20m will soon enough seem like the going rate for some pretty average players.

10 mil? You sure you been following what has been going on?

See the post I was responding to who said he'd only pay £10m

I don't think you can evaluate the price tag like you could a few years ago. With the Sky money making all of the new season Premier League Clubs amongst the richest in world football £20m will soon enough seem like the going rate for some pretty average players.

See the post I was responding to who said he'd only pay £10m

You think we should spend probably more than 1/3 of the transfer budget on Deeney? With 50 plus games next year? You are comfortable with that?

Watched every game mate, and I am not saying Ulloa is better, what I am saying is do you think he is 20m striker? Not for me.

Also Ulloa has got us out of jail a few times this seasondont you think? Unless you were not watching those games ;)

Good physical player, can score and great team work.

From what I've seen of him he seems to be level headed and professional, would certainly fit into our squad.

He has always spoken highly of us and I'm sure the lure of CL will be hard to turn down, Birmingham lad too so may work well for him too moving closer to home.

Think it will be a difficult one to pull off, he has said few times how much he loves Watford and how much he owes the club, Watford will certainly put up a fight too - club captain, best player, English and selling to a league rival. As some have said, only way this would get pushed through is if he puts in a request (unlikely) or if Watford are as stupid as us and have a low minimum release fee lol

However much I'd welcome the signing off Deeney I'd also feel a little disappointed. I'm not the biggest of Ulloa fans but to be spending £20m+ on a player who isn't few and far between I'd feel is slightly wasted money - there is certainly more players out there who could come with that price tag and potentially be better than Deeney.

Can't help but feel with it being so early in the window it's more smoke screens and mirrors by the club, testing waters and maybe showing signs of intent to other transfer targets we may be in negotiations with. I think the club might have a small interest in Deeney but think our striker targets lie elsewhere.

Watched every game mate, and I am not saying Ulloa is better, what I am saying is do you think he is 20m striker? Not for me.

Also Ulloa has got us out of jail a few times this seasondont you think? Unless you were not watching those games ;)

I don't think he is a £20m striker but I think with the change in fortunes in the premier league £20m will be the going rate for players of his calibre now, we are goin to have to face that fact now. It's all very well saying we can get better value abroad but the whole world knows about the money involved in the prem and they will be hiking transfer fee's up whenever English clubs come knocking. In our time we've picked up some amazing bargains and it could happen again but from this point on I think people will need to reconsider what £20m can buy.

As for Ulloa getting us out of jail, of course he did, that was his role as a sub. Right place right time and tactically it suited but Ulloa couldn't ever really be a good starting option because his game doesn't suit our normal 90 minutes style of play at all, he's just too slow. We cant go on relying on one quality striker and another who can fill in for the last 20 minutes and give us another option, with 50 games next season we need plenty of strength in depth and some players who can offer something for the full 90.

Yes but this seems to be the thing that everyone is forgetting. Vardy is only 22 million because LCFC made a massive cock up! We all know Vardy is worth more and would fetch more if not for the release clause but it is what it is.

True that

think slimani will be a great addition but I agree with others in saying that I'd much prefer deeney, especially if it was one or the other. He has all the qualities you could ask for in a striker and has proven he can score in this league. I'm sure more fans would be convinced if he had a fancy foreign name. at 20mil I still think he represents good value for money

deeney has always seemed a solid hard worker who can score goals and create problems for the defence which is what we are all about going forward . hes already a prem player and use to the speed of the game and would not have to adapt and could hit the groung running unlike maybe slimani or musa ? 

also with him being english does this not also help with the quota for champions league 

gotta say though i really feel sorry okazaki he trys his heart out but his lack of goals and the amount of times he ends up on the deck seems to mean hes going to be the one replaced and if we keep vardy them him and deeney up front would be a pretty fearsome duo 

i would rather keep leo and 20+ mill than sign deeney. a) leo is nicer. b) they're both as good as each other. c) would be a legit waste of a lot of money. imagine if we bought deeney for more than we sell vardy for. 

we'd be selling probably the best striker in the league and buying watford's second best striker and making a loss. laughing stock. 

Thinking about it, if this bid was serious the club wouldn't have wanted to let it out to the media, especially the fee?

The way its been leaked screams smoke screen to me. Probably been leaked to push through a bid on a different striker

Anyway, so we aren't ready to splash 30 mill Euros on Slimani but we'll put down pretty much the same for Deeney? 

If that is the decision the scouts and management have made then yes.

When will people accept that money in football has gone mad. The new TV deal is going to force Premiership players values to sky rocket. £20m seems steep but for a premier league striker its not anymore.

Deeney would be a brilliant addition especially behind Vardy. What a partnership that could be. Deeney has to be tempted with us in Champions League and a better shot of making the world cup to replace Rooney if he partners up with another England striker. (that maybe farfetched but he was on the fringes not long ago)

I trust our scouts 100%. Get him in

When will people accept that money in football has gone mad. The new TV deal is going to force Premiership players values to sky rocket. £20m seems steep but for a premier league striker its not anymore.

Deeney would be a brilliant addition especially behind Vardy. What a partnership that could be. Deeney has to be tempted with us in Champions League and a better shot of making the world cup to replace Rooney if he partners up with another England striker. (that maybe farfetched but he was on the fringes not long ago)

I trust our scouts 100%. Get him in

name one player that deeney is as good as that went for 20 mil? You think Deeney is as good as Pedro? People keep talking about this tv deal but Deeney will never be worth 20 mil.

Archived