Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. PSG..

8 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

We got shallacked by Arsenal in September and went on our best run of the season after it.

But we were too attackng against Arsenal although we were beat you could see the reason why and positives in the performance.

This just seemed a bit disjointed.

Just now, HankMarvin said:

But we were too attackng against Arsenal although we were beat you could see the reason why and positives in the performance.

This just seemed a bit disjointed.

Disjointed performances happen, would rather today than when the season starts.

Just now, HankMarvin said:

It was a little reality check, let's hope there are some encouraging signs against Barca

It wasn't a bloody reality check, it was a friendly!

My sleepy observations.

We hardly started with our strongest side for this match, and we're certainly nowhere near sharp enough. Playing a side that has a second team worth more than our entire 1st & second squad together is a fairly daunting task at the best of times. The Celtic match shouldn't have been used as a barometer of our readiness. They were shite.

Mendy isn't ready, Hernandez isn't ready for first team yet, despite his long throw weapon.

Our free kicks and corners were woeful today. Only one from Rihad made their keeper make a pretty good save.

With no Vardy it's evident that we need another option upfront. Ulloa played well, and did a good job defensively too, but offensively against better players there wasn't much that was mustered.

Musa I think can't be judged until he settles in, and gets in a side with Vardy actually playing.

The positives were that we played some decent passing at times, but again there were times that giving possession up to a much better team, we are going to punished.

Also they caught us on the counter a number of occasions, and I don't know whether it was their sheer pace, or our lack of full fitness, but we struggled to keep up with them.

Gray looked good. I hope that he can continue to progress quickly as he has done, as he'll pull apart weaker teams this season with ease.

If people think we are good to go as we are now then they have low expectations. Our net spend is near zero, we have an opportunity to attract the type of players that can sustain our position, but I feel we haven't taken that.

It does my head in when people complain about us spending money, we aren't in the championship anymore, we aren't just looking for survival in the PL either, we have money and a prestige most would dream of for the first time. Expectations need to be raised, and signing top talent will help with that.

7 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

If people think we are good to go as we are now then they have low expectations. Our net spend is near zero, we have an opportunity to attract the type of players that can sustain our position, but I feel we haven't taken that.

It does my head in when people complain about us spending money, we aren't in the championship anymore, we aren't just looking for survival in the PL either, we have money and a prestige most would dream of for the first time. Expectations need to be raised, and signing top talent will help with that.

Seriously man, go back to bed.

12 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Yes, and psg were playing in one as well.

And I hope for their sake their fans aren't reading too much into beating the English champions 4-0. Same as Dortmund won't be too excited by beating Man Utd 4-1. Or Read Madrid won't be thinking their world beaters by going 3-0 up against Chelsea in 37 minutes. Or Spurs won't be predicting relegation after losing all their games so far.

36 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think you're intelligent enough to know I'm making the point that defeats don't seem to get this group down. They dust themselves off and get get back to it.

Yes, and you should know that results in friendlies shouldn't be compared to league games.

They've been in LA for a week, should've had enough time to acclimatize (although the heat must've been enormous, even that late into the night). We've fielded a weaker side with some players like Hernandez playing slightly out of position, but so did PSG in parts.

I'm not reading too much into the result and many of my comments in the match thread have been tongue-in-cheek. This is a somewhat new team, we could be looking at up to 20 to 40% or two to four new players in our starting eleven in the new season (Zieler for Schmeichel?, Musa, Mendy, Hernandez?), so I take these ICC games as a pure training exercise to try and test new things (if required) and allowing the players to get to know each other's movements and abilities better in a life-like situation.

Whether the squad has maintained the same winning mentality remains to be seen. We've just lost Kanté to Chelsea, Fuchs and Austria were kicked out of the EURO in the group stages after very disappointing results, transfer talks surrounding Vardy and Mahrez, Amartey still trying to find his feet. Schmeichel now has very good competition in Zieler, Musa has speed, but seems to offer little end product. There could potentially be more signings to come until the end of the month. We're almost looking at a new team which renders predictions pretty much void.

I'm also a bit reserved with my opinion regarding our youngsters, such as Gray and Chilwell. They've received some match practice last season and thoroughly surprised me positively - but can they perform better over longer periods of time?

We shall see...

So many questions going into the new season and absolutely no certainty. I love it and it's the bread and butter of every true Leicester City supporter. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Exciting times ahead with European football and all. Still, knowing our recent history, at some point you just have the thought of an utter disaster to happen in the back of you head somewhere. :D 

8 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Yes, and you should know that results in friendlies shouldn't be compared to league games.

They've been in LA for a week, should've had enough time to acclimatize (although the heat must've been enormous, even that late into the night). We've fielded a weaker side with some players like Hernandez playing slightly out of position, but so did PSG in parts.

I'm not reading too much into the result and many of my comments in the match thread have been tongue-in-cheek. This is a somewhat new team, we could be looking at up to 20 to 40% or two to four new players in our starting eleven in the new season (Zieler for Schmeichel?, Musa, Mendy, Hernandez?), so I take these ICC games as a pure training exercise to try and test new things (if required) and allowing the players to get to know each other's movements and abilities better in a life-like situation.

Whether the squad has maintained the same winning mentality remains to be seen. We've just lost Kanté to Chelsea, Fuchs and Austria were kicked out of the EURO in the group stages after very disappointing results, transfer talks surrounding Vardy and Mahrez, Amartey still trying to find his feet. Schmeichel now has very good competition in Zieler, Musa has speed, but seems to offer little end product. There could potentially be more signings to come until the end of the month. We're almost looking at a new team which renders predictions pretty much void.

I'm also a bit reserved with my opinion regarding our youngsters, such as Gray and Chilwell. They've received some match practice last season and thoroughly surprised me positively - but can they perform better over longer periods of time?

We shall see...

So many questions going into the new season and absolutely no certainty. I love it and it's the bread and butter of every true Leicester City supporter. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Exciting times ahead with European football and all. Still, knowing our recent history, at some point you just have the thought of an utter disaster to happen in the back of you head somewhere. :D 

Im not comparing results in friendlies to league games, I'm probably one person who's been posting more than anyone else this morning trying to discourage that. Someone mentioned the lads getting downbeat, and that's why brought up the league, because this group have never got downbeat. So not comparing results, just talking about the mentality of the squad following a setback.

Expected that score line to be honest but a bit disappointed with 3 of their 4 goals. Amartey sloppy foot in for the penalty, second goal Wes should have been in front of Iknoe on the cross, 3rd goal Lazy foot in from Fuch's he should have ran in and followed his man.

Musa has panicked and missed a sitter, Riyad brought a good save from Areola but our chances were missed and theirs were scored. Gray is quality and I am sure he will be a major player this season ,Musa may run quick but I haven't really seen too much to excite me yet although I realise it's early days and we have Jamie back soon.

In a friendly the more technical/skillful team will always do better. Especially in a prestigious friendly tournament like this.

Our stronget attributes of grit, determination being dogged in defence, men behind the ball, defending with strong tackles (huth and Morgan style) are not really going to show up in a friendly. The last anyone wants is a hard challenge that destroys a £35m players season. We would never be invited to a competition like this again.

When the real games start ranieri will have the lads ready

2 hours ago, Gazza M said:

So in summary, we need four more players before the end of August: RB, CB, Attacking Midfielder and Striker. This may mean another 50-60 million to be spent, but hey we are in the best position we have ever been financially and just received 32 million for Kante, so for me we need to show our intent and try to maintain a chance that the C/L will not be a one off. For me we could afford to lose: Inler, James, Was (loan him out for game time), De Laet and Moore and sadly maybe Schlupp (loan him out until Jan).

Moore and Schlupp can't be replaced. Literally. We don't have the four squad spots for "team home grown" required for CL. Moore is probably gone no matter what, but losing Schlupp means a maximum 22-man squad for Champions League. Add in the fact that the only first-team U-21 player that qualifies for the B-list is Chilwell, means a real-world maximum 23-man squad for CL, unless some of the homegrown players in the U-21 step up (and don't get loaned out). Even Iverson doesn't qualify for the B-list, so if we want to carry a third GK on the CL squad, we can't use our best youth squad member as cover on the B-list.

I'll preface these comments with the facts that PSG are much further into their pre-season than we are and their aim is to be CL champions ours is to finish top half of the prem.

Kasper - had no chance with most of their goals. He isn't top draw but he does the best he can, if only he was a foot taller.

Chilwell - up and down today - not benefitting from having a lazy Schlupp in front of him rather than Albrighton. Love the potential but will accept a few errors as he grows into what could be England's left back. He still did better than Fuchs today.

Hernandez - looks good offensively but as I've said everytime I've seen him defensively he's not up to it yet - still he hasn't played with all the squad's players yet either. Maybe an upgrade on De Laet but not certain.

Huth - He's Huth, we know his strengths and his weaknesses.

Morgan - as above.

Amartey - looked lost early on, unfortunate for the penalty and after that played well. Could have scored a couple on another day and I liked his surge forward with the ball. Best I've felt about him so far this pre-season.

Mendy - still learning the system - some good things today but no Kanté yet.

Schlupp - much as I boosted him earlier this was a lazy display by him not tracking back or defending  and I'd blame at least 1 if not 2 goals on him. Looked good the 2 times he got the ball going forward but his defending let us down today. Lazy.

Mahrez - what a free kick! Defensive positioning wasn't good and he was also lazy going back - more understandable than Jeff but still a concern.

Okazaki - ran his little socks off but lacks the goal-scoring touch that we need

Ulloa - had a very good game for 50 minutes, needed replacing in the second half. Maybe the best player on the pitch for us overall today.

Drinkwater - We looked so much better in the midfield when he came on. Sheer class in a water glass.

Musa - disappointing. Terrible miss and I didn't see the famed speed we've been told about. Very early days and he needs to learn how to play with the team - not even been on the pitch with Vardy yet but I'm worried by how small he is.

Albrighton - he's a spark we miss, I just wish he wouldn't shoot. I'd always start him as opposed to bringing him on as sub - that's more a jeff thing.

Simpson - playing with confidence but he needs better competition for his place.

Gray - a bright spot. Looked good when he came on.

Fuchs - looked like he was playing for Austria not Leicester.

King - did little in his 25 mins

Overall we lacked team cohesion and fire - which is to be expected in pre-season.

We also missed someone who can score most of their chances.

I'd splash out 40m for a true goalscorer.

Positives: we carved PSG open at times with some lovely slick passing.

We will have learnt a lot about our squad, it was a friendly after all. Hernandez at RB Amartey and Mendy in the middle looked ok but lacked the creativity of Drinkwater, Chilwell looked good at left back, but needs to listen to the calls. Gray looks great.

It was good experience for the CL playing against a side of that quality, fussy refs, players going down easily and any physicality from Ulloa was penalised, whereas Okazaki's Teflon boots won us a few free kicks.

Disappointments were obviously conceding 4 goals, but PSG have looked sharp all pre season it was a very strong line up. Not getting any possession in the first 30 minutes is more of a concern, PSG and other European sides will keep the ball better and be more patient the PL sides, it will be difficult playing the top European sides that know how to keep the ball.

Musa not really getting into the game, difficult to play on the counter when 3-0 down but you need to come deep and go wide to get involved, big shame he missed that scissor kick.

Not too fussed about the result, it is a preseason game, but lots to learn and work on. Not expecting much more vs Barca, United will be a bigger indicator of how ready we are.

1 minute ago, HighPeakFox said:

Is there a panic room on this site? If you're going to have people getting the arse about punnery etc, don't try to tell me that going off the deep end about a friendly in LA against PSG is somehow preferable...

Both are weak.

We're Leicester City. Top half of the prem is a success, losing to a team who fired their manager after walking their league and winning every domectic cup again and getting to the CL quarters is not really a big problem.

Archived