Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. PSG..

What I have learned from watching the match:

1) Our defence as expected look more exposed than when we had Kante last season. This was always going to be the case as the guy in my opinion is irreplaceable. The first time in ages we looked a bit disjointed. I am not sure about Hernandez at RB as he looked a bit of a "Roy Hodgson" square peg in round hole option. The fact he can hurl the ball in I don't believe should be the only reason to play at RB. I would like to see him at CB again though as he looks like he is more capable of bringing the ball out of the back than Morgan and Huth. I would like to see a new RB come in to be honest and maybe Keane from Burnley as another younger CB option. I am not convinced Huth and Morgan can re-produce the same intensity again with more fixtures to play through. We definitely need one more defender, two would be ideal. 

2) So how do we best fill the void left by Kante? Well in my opinion we need to have two central midfielders protecting. one being Drinkwater and the other probably Amartey, which would mean a switch in formation to 4-3-3. Hopefully we can get the Polish lad in to be our attacking midfield option.

3) We need another out an out striker to cover Vardy. I was not convinced with Ulloa/Okazki as "goal scorers" last year and this hasn't changed. Example today when Ulloa went through on goal. First touch was very average and the shot less than. Plenty of examples last year when Okazaki was woeful in the shooting department. We need to show we mean business and I would use the Kante money on a new striker.

4) in a 4-3-3 I would use initially Vardy as main striker, with Gray and Marhez as wide strikers.

So in summary, we need four more players before the end of August: RB, CB, Attacking Midfielder and Striker. This may mean another 50-60 million to be spent, but hey we are in the best position we have ever been financially and just received 32 million for Kante, so for me we need to show our intent and try to maintain a chance that the C/L will not be a one off. For me we could afford to lose: Inler, James, Was (loan him out for game time), De Laet and Moore and sadly maybe Schlupp (loan him out until Jan).

43 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

We have lost our best player, we now have Champions league and all those clubs can field two maybe three different teams, we can't do that and you actually need to spend money to manage to do so.

Not sure where this notion comes from that clubs can put out 2 or 3 different sides. It is all bollox. You have a 25 man squad for the PL and for the CL plus under 21's. Barca RM PSG Manure all prety much work from the same squad. Do people think players would sign just for six CL games or just to play league games. You really think Messi and Ronaldo would sit out of any major comp and be happy.

Didn't watch it.

Saw a few highlights.  Musa's miss reminded me of an attempt of mine down at Goals a few months ago.  Disastrous.  

They're a really good side, but for those who watched it, was it really obvious that the loss of Kante exposed the defence?  

PSG are a class outfit and we coped well at times how can you really see how we would really cope with the large amount of player substitutions  used ?

This tournament has given us great experience and insight into how these huge European clubs are built played etc and as a friendly it's given our players the chance to play against top players !

we lost against PSG we might against Barcelona but it's been a great piece of experience to see how they play!

we will only see how we cope when we play Man Utd in the charity shield as its back to business and less subs!!

I still believe we can do well next season retain our title who knows because who would have thought this time last season we would have ended the season as English Premier League Champions and end up competing in the champions league too??

onwards and upwards in King Claudio we trust !!

8 minutes ago, Thracian said:

I'd be looking at things like their coaching, their speed of ball control and their balance as a group in moving backwards and forwards. 

For me it was thrilling to watch and not least because I was expecting so much of what they did and they didn't disappoint as, for instance, England so often do.

Several times I thought, "One touch, one touch, instant cross," and that's exactly what they delivered. So simple in concept but seemingly so difficult to achieve in an English environment.

Not only that but notice the precision and variety of PSG's final pass. And the pace and movement up front of Cavani.

Then think about Leicester and ask yourself did we ever cross the ball properly or dangerously? Did anyone make meaningful off-the-ball movement in potentially dangerous places? Does Albrighton have the first idea how to shoot? Did we play cohesively as a unit?

There is so much to improve on yet none of it is impossible.

We're contemplating a game we lost 4-0 after a day when we could and should have scored four times ourselves - and that's just to mention easy chances. Were we overawed? It seems so. Because for all their brilliance we shouldn't have finished that far in arrears.

Indeed our own shortcomings contributed much to the outcome, including their goals. 

What it did illustrate though was that at Champions League level, mistakes are likely to be even more costly than in the Premiership. 

And any weakness will be exploited.    

All good points,great post.

2 minutes ago, sylofox said:

Not sure where this notion comes from that clubs can put out 2 or 3 different sides. It is all bollox. You have a 25 man squad for the PL and for the CL plus under 21's. Barca RM PSG Manure all prety much work from the same squad. Do people think players would sign just for six CL games or just to play league games. You really think Messi and Ronaldo would sit out of any major comp and be happy.

When I say different teams I mean several formations and at least changing 4 maybe 5 players if need be... not three sets of 11. Your 25 most all be capable at that level. 

Chill all.  We are building for the future and have made some good buys already, young quality players with the right attitude and work ethic who will fit IN TIME.  This game was all about learning and will help CR for when the real business starts.   And as for the Champions League ...   A lot of teams watching this will think they have nothing to worry about and will write us off ....   Just like in the Prem last year ! ....   Let's just wait and see eh ...   

14 minutes ago, ozvaldo said:

Didn't watch it.

Saw a few highlights.  Musa's miss reminded me of an attempt of mine down at Goals a few months ago.  Disastrous.  

They're a really good side, but for those who watched it, was it really obvious that the loss of Kante exposed the defence?  

I don't think it was just the loss of Kante. We tried to press more rather than sit behind the ball. This often meant PSG had a spare midfielder when they knocked it around well. 

At 1-0, we had a really good spell and we were unfortunate not to score. Then, they had a touch of luck when Chilwell's block assisted the second and we had to chase which just opened a game up far more than most friendlies 

14 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Got to accept that this was men v boys.. 

Totally outclassed in every area.

Fear for us v Barcelona! 

....Can't we go back to playing the likes of Shepshed Dynamo please!!!? 

Of even Cyril Mee's Shepshed Albion  - just to give us a chance! :D  

Just now, HankMarvin said:

Let's hope this tonking doesn't distory morale, i worry that similar against Barca and Man U could have serious negative effects. 

First time in 50 odd games we have looked like we are flapping 

We got shallacked by Arsenal in September and went on our best run of the season after it.

Ouch. Talk about a reality check!

There was a gulf in class between the two teams, and it didn't make for the easiest of viewing. It reminds me of the 5-3 defeat by Arsenal at home last year which if anything was one of the most important results of the season despite losing badly.

We were missing Fuchs, Simpson, Albrighton, Vardy and Drinkwater from the starting line-up so I'd expect a lack of communication, but it needs to get better fast! It does raise concerns with the overall squad which is the biggest fear for me this season. When we need to rest multiple first team players we need to still be competitive.

Will be interesting to see the Barcelona performance after this one. Would also expect a loss, but want to see the team's character again. We've been on such a great run and been the darlings of the media that maybe coming crashing down to earth now is a good thing. It was determination and hard work that made the fairy-tale happen last year, we can't ever forget that!

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Let's hope this tonking doesn't distory morale, i worry that similar against Barca and Man U could have serious negative effects. 

First time in 50 odd games we have looked like we are flapping 

Cheer up Hank - it's a commercial!

And there were extenuating circumstances. Babs'll have a list if need be! :D 

54 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

What I have learned from watching the match:

1) Our defence as expected look more exposed than when we had Kante last season. This was always going to be the case as the guy in my opinion is irreplaceable. The first time in ages we looked a bit disjointed. I am not sure about Hernandez at RB as he looked a bit of a "Roy Hodgson" square peg in round hole option. The fact he can hurl the ball in I don't believe should be the only reason to play at RB. I would like to see him at CB again though as he looks like he is more capable of bringing the ball out of the back than Morgan and Huth. I would like to see a new RB come in to be honest and maybe Keane from Burnley as another younger CB option. I am not convinced Huth and Morgan can re-produce the same intensity again with more fixtures to play through. We definitely need one more defender, two would be ideal. 

2) So how do we best fill the void left by Kante? Well in my opinion we need to have two central midfielders protecting. one being Drinkwater and the other probably Amartey, which would mean a switch in formation to 4-3-3. Hopefully we can get the Polish lad in to be our attacking midfield option.

3) We need another out an out striker to cover Vardy. I was not convinced with Ulloa/Okazki as "goal scorers" last year and this hasn't changed. Example today when Ulloa went through on goal. First touch was very average and the shot less than. Plenty of examples last year when Okazaki was woeful in the shooting department. We need to show we mean business and I would use the Kante money on a new striker.

4) in a 4-3-3 I would use initially Vardy as main striker, with Gray and Marhez as wide strikers.

So in summary, we need four more players before the end of August: RB, CB, Attacking Midfielder and Striker. This may mean another 50-60 million to be spent, but hey we are in the best position we have ever been financially and just received 32 million for Kante, so for me we need to show our intent and try to maintain a chance that the C/L will not be a one off. For me we could afford to lose: Inler, James, Was (loan him out for game time), De Laet and Moore and sadly maybe Schlupp (loan him out until Jan).

I agree with most of your post, how about a more traditional 4-2-3-1? Two holding players  with Kapuska sat just behind Vardy. This would still allow for Gray and Mahrez either side and could fold back into a 4-4-2 when defending.

5 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

That has me convinced we'll trounce Barcelona in the next friendly then!

I think you're intelligent enough to know I'm making the point that defeats don't seem to get this group down. They dust themselves off and get get back to it.

Going to Mansfield Lincoln and Burton may be better preparation than travelling through several times zones to be outclassed in one game.

Main concern at the moment is the central midfield for the start of the new season and whether some of the younger ones need to come in such as Gray on the wings Drinkwater only clear choice at the moment + Mahrez of course.Not sure about Mendy great distribution but not such as good tackler as Kante and drifts out of the game at times - I think he will improve but comparisons to Kante are going to be tough for anyone.

Up front we showed very little but Ulloa is playing a lot better and looks fitter than a year ago some nice hold up play and more effective  than Okazaki at this level. We were warned that Musa does miss easy chances and then comes up with something special but it would be nice if he could get off the mark or at least see some more possession. Would not be unhappy if a 5th striker came in.

Archived