Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. PSG..

Just finished the 1st half. Thought we did well actually apart from the first 10 minutes. Amartey woke up and had some good moments after his mistake although his passing isn't up to the standard we are used to. The wingers were poor but with Vardy and Drinkwater in the team I think we'll do alright next season.

1 minute ago, ealingfox said:

Not good enough. Hope we take this as an opportunity to spend some money.

?

What?

Not good enough to win the CL? Or not good enough to compete in the Prem?

There wasn't a tackle in the game which tells you it was basically an exhibition game so not too concerned. We did pass the ball more which is an improvement. The big difference is they were very clinical in front of goal.

But we still need that quality play maker in midfield and another proven goal scorer. 

I agree with others about Amartey after 15/20minutes he had some good moments in the middle, I don't think we will see the full extent of Mendy untill competitive games due to his style of play.

more of a fitness test than anything hardly any tackles went in.

3 hours ago, Gazza M said:

What I have learned from watching the match:

1) Our defence as expected look more exposed than when we had Kante last season. This was always going to be the case as the guy in my opinion is irreplaceable. The first time in ages we looked a bit disjointed. I am not sure about Hernandez at RB as he looked a bit of a "Roy Hodgson" square peg in round hole option. The fact he can hurl the ball in I don't believe should be the only reason to play at RB. I would like to see him at CB again though as he looks like he is more capable of bringing the ball out of the back than Morgan and Huth. I would like to see a new RB come in to be honest and maybe Keane from Burnley as another younger CB option. I am not convinced Huth and Morgan can re-produce the same intensity again with more fixtures to play through. We definitely need one more defender, two would be ideal. 

2) So how do we best fill the void left by Kante? Well in my opinion we need to have two central midfielders protecting. one being Drinkwater and the other probably Amartey, which would mean a switch in formation to 4-3-3. Hopefully we can get the Polish lad in to be our attacking midfield option.

3) We need another out an out striker to cover Vardy. I was not convinced with Ulloa/Okazki as "goal scorers" last year and this hasn't changed. Example today when Ulloa went through on goal. First touch was very average and the shot less than. Plenty of examples last year when Okazaki was woeful in the shooting department. We need to show we mean business and I would use the Kante money on a new striker.

4) in a 4-3-3 I would use initially Vardy as main striker, with Gray and Marhez as wide strikers.

So in summary, we need four more players before the end of August: RB, CB, Attacking Midfielder and Striker. This may mean another 50-60 million to be spent, but hey we are in the best position we have ever been financially and just received 32 million for Kante, so for me we need to show our intent and try to maintain a chance that the C/L will not be a one off. For me we could afford to lose: Inler, James, Was (loan him out for game time), De Laet and Moore and sadly maybe Schlupp (loan him out until Jan).

Struggling to think of the examples of Okazaki's poor shooting, he was rarely in the right position to start with. I agree with the point but not how you got to the conclusion.

1 minute ago, brucey said:

Hoping to see Zieler play the full 90 against Barca. Also wondering if Gueye is still obtainable.

Could be interesting.

Is it Kasper 6 Zieler 0?

2 hours ago, LJS said:

Did people realy get up early/stay up to watch us play a friendly? And are now using it to make any kind of judgement as to how we'll do next season? Mental.

The early rising's no problem and I'd happily watch City play on Vicky Park in a charity match.

Not sure what wonderful ways you've come up to with the spend the time but, apart from a bit of wishful thinking, it seems as good as any to me. :D

Could have done without the 4-0 bit, but it was still a bit of history and I've no regrets! 

And I'm still as optimisitic for the new season although we'll likely have a harder time of it for various reasons, and not all of them to do with ourselves.   

3 hours ago, Facecloth said:

It wasn't a bloody reality check, it was a friendly!

That's your opinion, I have stated mine.

it was a reality check whether it be from the realisation that our strength in depth is not good enough or that a midfield was over run and the full backs who played were massively exposed.

People writing this off as just a friendly, but it's probably the only time we will ever be in this pre season competition and the exposure to the global market is huge as we are representing as the Champions of England.

i very much doubt the pre match team talk was don't worry it's just a friendly.

Claudio has been around the block enough times to know what to take and what not to take from this morning. we know he is tactically savvy enough to have this under control. Are we going to easily compete with PSG this season?  No,  but I guarantee that if we come up against them in the knockout stages of the CL, we will not be 4-0 down after the first leg. 

I never read too much into friendlies, certainly never worry about them, but if you look at the last couple of games - as opposed to only last night - you can probably get a rough idea of where our potential problems may lie.

We can glean that without Vardy in the side too much hinges of Mahrez in terms of goalscoring. That for our style of play we may need a ball winner who properly protects the back line, and Mendy probably isn't it. That, of the 2016 signings, only Gray has really clicked to the point that he's likely to bring something to the team in the opening weeks. That fitness may or may not be an issue (why would PSG be ahead of us in their preparations? Their first league game is on the same weekend as ours!)

None of these things amount to a disaster. More of a concern is what we already knew: that we're making a profit on our dealings only a week before the Shield, and when we might have expected a 40/50m+ outlay. And yes, we probably need a defender, midfielder or two, a striker, and among them another home grown player.

Are PSG the club who have won the french league title for the last 3 years?

The club who have won the 2 french cups 5 times in the last 3 years?

The club who secured the French league title in March last season with a 9-0 away win.

I wonder how we managed to lose to them in our 3rd pre-season game. 

5 minutes ago, FIF said:

Are PSG the club who have won the french league title for the last 3 years?

The club who have won the 2 french cups 5 times in the last 3 years?

The club who secured the French league title in March last season with a 9-0 away win.

I wonder how we managed to lose to them in our 3rd pre-season game. 

There's absolutely no point in attaching significance to this result, even though - in conjunction with the other friendly games - it could tell us something about what we need. That's obviously one of the main reasons why we have these games. Many of the observations people have made on here are probably not far off the mark, especially if we want to maintain high standards (and we should). So long as nobody panics, or reads too much into friendly results.

The result doesn't mean anything so people need to calm down a bit. We are in pre-season, this was about fitness and integrating players etc.

It might tell Claudio that 442 will be difficult without a box to box machine in the midfield though 

6 minutes ago, Dynamogoon said:

The result doesn't mean anything so people need to calm down a bit. We are in pre-season, this was about fitness and integrating players etc.

It might tell Claudio that 442 will be difficult without a box to box machine in the midfield though 

Definitely. We can't expect Mendy to be Kante. And if we want to play the same way next season, he will need replacing. I'm sure a lot of the points people are making on here are right - about new players not bedding in yet (which is normal), about us depending on Vardy-Mahrez for goals too much and so on. But, like you say, the result means next to nothing.

3 minutes ago, ramboacdc said:

I fell asleep at half time and woke up at 11. What were the 2nd half changes? 

Musa, Fuchs, Simpson, Drinkwater and Albrighton (think that's it) came on at half-time. Gray and King featured. The pattern of the game didn't change massively.

3 hours ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Well if that is your argument against what I said then maybe you should get more sleep and think about it. Maybe you will come back with something more constructive

What's the point in arguing with an absolute moron who thinks the world is ending because we've lost 4-0 of one of the best sides in the world who's also further into preseason than us? 

PSG are regular champions league quarter finalists, they sacked their manager because they expect more, they have one of the most expensively assembled teams ever. They had a very strong line up out and they could very easily beat us 4-0 if we meet them in the CL. They are that good, no shame in that. They are part of the European elite that have left all the premier league teams behind (except maybe Chelsea).

Archived