Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
weller54

Next up.. PSG..

18 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Musa is utter doggo as I knew full well he would be. He won't be getting better, he's at least late 20s. We've been mugged. 

If I thought we'd learnt anything in the past few seasons as City fans is not to write off a player after a few bad games. Our current first choice 11 is littered with players what didn't start out great 

35 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Musa is utter doggo as I knew full well he would be. He won't be getting better, he's at least late 20s. We've been mugged. 

Go join Arsenal mania you absolute melt. What a knee jerk ridiculous, entitled, stupid statement. 

One half of a pre season friendly

Why do people keep going on about making a profit, I'm sure the club would very much be sat here having kept kante and not be in profit.

our strategy will remain the same in trying to find rough diamonds, so selling a large asset will almost always end up in a net profit if you are replacing them with cheaper options.

We shouldn't get drawn into spending for spends sake, we don't want to flood the squad with too many new faces. 

1 hour ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Swear all your posts are just slagging Musa off and it's embarrassing to be honest

Result aside, it was a top night and overall a great trip. 

We we looked a lot better with the energy or Drinky in the middle and I saw glimpses of Amartey's energy and industriousness too.  Gray looked good too. 

To to balance though, I think we needed another body in the middle last night, something to learn for the European campaign. 

Highlight for us was meeting fellow FoxesTalk folks in person. All of them lovely to a tee. We should have organized better though and got shirts with our usernames on them though! 

7 hours ago, Callabinho said:

I agree with most of your post, how about a more traditional 4-2-3-1? Two holding players  with Kapuska sat just behind Vardy. This would still allow for Gray and Mahrez either side and could fold back into a 4-4-2 when defending.

Yes I can see that working.

5 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

Struggling to think of the examples of Okazaki's poor shooting, he was rarely in the right position to start with. I agree with the point but not how you got to the conclusion.

On a few ocassions he has got in to positions and just spooned over the bar or scuffed shots. A skillful player but not a goal scorer.

6 hours ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Moore and Schlupp can't be replaced. Literally. We don't have the four squad spots for "team home grown" required for CL. Moore is probably gone no matter what, but losing Schlupp means a maximum 22-man squad for Champions League. Add in the fact that the only first-team U-21 player that qualifies for the B-list is Chilwell, means a real-world maximum 23-man squad for CL, unless some of the homegrown players in the U-21 step up (and don't get loaned out). Even Iverson doesn't qualify for the B-list, so if we want to carry a third GK on the CL squad, we can't use our best youth squad member as cover on the B-list.

1) Zieler

2) Kasper

3) u21 gk

4) Simpson

5) Morgan

6) Huth

7) Hernandez

8) New Rb (Trippier?)

9) New Cb (Keane)

10) Fuchs

11) Chilwell

12) Mendy

13) Drinkwater

14) Amartey

15) King

16) Kapushka (if joins)

17) Albrighton

18) Marhez

19) Gray

20) Musa

21) Vardy

22) Okazaki

23) New Striker

24) Under 21 Striker

25) Under 21 midfielder

I wasn't aware of all C/L rulings, but on that maybe we cash in on Ulloa. Leaves you with a comfortable 22 man squad. 3 young lads for bench if injuries.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

Why do people keep going on about making a profit, I'm sure the club would very much be sat here having kept kante and not be in profit.

our strategy will remain the same in trying to find rough diamonds, so selling a large asset will almost always end up in a net profit if you are replacing them with cheaper options.

We shouldn't get drawn into spending for spends sake, we don't want to flood the squad with too many new faces. 

The amount a club spends is often used as a barometer of ambition, isn't it? It doesn't paint a full picture, no, but it'd be strange for PL winners to make a profit on their summer dealings (it hasn't happened once this decade). Especially when it's a club which loses a key player and has a small, ageing squad. And especially in the context of unprecedented spending elsewhere. Plus there's a scary correlation between making a profit in transfer dealings and enjoying very little success. Look at us in the 1980s.

That said, a friendly against PSG means very little. We should neither rush our recruitment nor pay 15m over the going rate for a player. But there are gaps in the squad and, if the money isn't spent to fill them (at a time when more players would like to join us than ever before), this may be flagged up as a missed opportunity. 

Personally, I don't think that will happen because I believe we will do the business we need to. And I know that spending is no guarantee of success. I'm just stating the obvious in saying that completing the jigsaw will - rightly - cost us.

49 minutes ago, Gazza M said:

1) Zieler

2) Kasper

3) u21 gk

4) Simpson

5) Morgan

6) Huth

7) Hernandez

8) New Rb (Trippier?)

9) New Cb (Keane)

10) Fuchs

11) Chilwell

12) Mendy

13) Drinkwater

14) Amartey

15) King

16) Kapushka (if joins)

17) Albrighton

18) Marhez

19) Gray

20) Musa

21) Vardy

22) Okazaki

23) New Striker

24) Under 21 Striker

25) Under 21 midfielder

I wasn't aware of all C/L rulings, but on that maybe we cash in on Ulloa. Leaves you with a comfortable 22 man squad. 3 young lads for bench if injuries.

Those "three lads" are a 19-year old GK who can't even start for our U21's (since Iverson can't qualify for UEFA under 21), Choudhury/and or Barnes, and Admiral Muskwe...If you think their ready for Champions League, okay. But the fact is, Choudhury and Barnes will probably be loaned out, and Muskwe isn't ready.  But we can have them all, and still have Schlupp. Especially given that a 22-man squad stops being comfortable if injuries and suspensions enter into the equation.

Although, that being said, currently we have 26 over 21's technically in the squad, while Gray and Kapushka (if he joins) would count as an "over 21" for UEFA rules. As it stands, we can have a 24-man squad for Champions League. However, Moore is going, so that is 23. Also losing Benalouane, De Laet, Inler, James (my guess is, he'll be loaned out to get fit), Hamer and Lawrence. This leaves us with 21 players for a 23-man squad (as it stands). I am guessing two more signings (based on Schlupp and Ulloa staying, and Waz being on the CL squad). Although I could see three, and Waz being left just for Premier League cover.

4 hours ago, Brooksy said:

Swear all your posts are just slagging Musa off and it's embarrassing to be honest

Delude yourself he's good enough if you want, but about 10 games in the season everyone will be saying the same as me and wondering why we threw all that money down the drain on a clown. Feel free to quote me on that.

2 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Delude yourself he's good enough if you want, but about 10 games in the season everyone will be saying the same as me and wondering why we threw all that money down the drain on a clown. Feel free to quote me on that.

Even if you are right at the end of the season my opinion of you being an absolute moron wont change. Slagging players off because they havent performed well in a few friendlies is just pathetic. Feel free to quote me on that

6 hours ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

16 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

I used to think you were a half decent poster on here but you've lost all credibility with these Musa posts. Shame...

43 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Do muppets like you not learn anything? How many of our title winning side were slagged off as not good enough? Morgan, Simpson, Schmeichel, Drinkwater, Vardy, Schlupp, Ulloa, King, Okazaki all have premier league winners medals and have all been written off by idiots. 

44 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Do muppets like you not learn anything? How many of our title winning side were slagged off as not good enough? Morgan, Simpson, Schmeichel, Drinkwater, Vardy, Schlupp, Ulloa, King, Okazaki all have premier league winners medals and have all been written off by idiots. 

For everyone one of them there about five players that have been dismissed as being shit and were actually shit during my time on here, possibly even since Kaspers debut, and id love to see where we'd finished if ulloa started instead of vardy and schlupp played instead of albrighton for the whole of last season, it certainly would not have been 10 points clear at the top I can tell you that for free. If it weren't for our great squad spirit and the players in questions willingness to play when needed I'd of snapped Swansea and WBA hands off if the reported 8 figures was on the table.

nothing against musa not seen anywhere near enough to have an opinion. Just pointing out your post carries no weight at all.

Our focus and sharpness wasn't quite there and against a more mobile team fitness was also an issue which will effect the performance. We don't know what they have been doing in training and how that can effect their game, I remember one pre-season game after a loss left everyone predicting doom when it turned out we'd had a full on training session in the morning and the match was a case of increasing fitness and conditioning. 

But it was a friendly with different objectives and targets other than just winning. People take these games far too seriously.

6 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Our focus and sharpness wasn't quite there and against a more mobile team fitness was also an issue which will effect the performance. We don't know what they have been doing in training and how that can effect their game, I remember one pre-season game after a loss left everyone predicting doom when it turned out we'd had a full on training session in the morning and the match was a case of increasing fitness and conditioning. 

But it was a friendly with different objectives and targets other than just winning. People take these games far too seriously.

Kasper looked quite bothered? 

We all know that winning breeds confidence and defeats knock that confidence too...if we lose to Barcelona and then the charity shield it could easily affect our confidence for the league game at Dull! 

41 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Kasper looked quite bothered? 

We all know that winning breeds confidence and defeats knock that confidence too...if we lose to Barcelona and then the charity shield it could easily affect our confidence for the league game at Dull! 

Claudio will keep them mentally right. We know our boys hate losing but as with the FA cup in Jan, Claudio will sort them out upstairs quite quickly. 

as as far as yesterday was concerned, PSG have been taking this tournement quite seriously judging by their two previous outings. they certainly had something to lose against us yesterday (the North American section trophy) plus losing to little old lcfc wouldn't go down too well. 

Musa is is a concern if it takes him a long time to settle. What looks promising is his desire to chase lost causes. put in the hard work and things generally fall into place. 

Having just watched a replay of the game, the result was probably a little harsh.

Amartey, Albrighton and Musa very much should have scored whereas apart from their goals, PSG didnt have too many clear intentiona on our goal (plenty of crosses but nothing particularly dangerous).

The positives i'd take were PSG were probably the best team we've played in the last 2 years yet without Kante and Drinkwater, that last 20 minutes of the first half with a midfield comprised of Schlupp, Mendy, Amartey and Mahrez actually controlled the game and we looked very dangerous.  If the Amartey header went in, it wouldnt have been a disastrous first half.  On top of this, Chilli B didnt look out of place again and Gray again looked good when he came on.

Negatives were that against the better teams, the 4-4-2 probably isnt going to work.  We were exposed so many times down our right side with the usual problem of Mahrez not tracking.  This isnt too much of an issue against 80% of the Premier League teams, but against a PSG, it isnt gonna wash.

We certainly dont look as fit or dynamic as we did but it is

Pre- season so I try and take that into account.

I very much hope we dont get turned over again against Barcelona as the reaction we've seen after this game will be tenfold.  Personally, i'd like to see us try a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1.

I cannot believe what I'm reading from some of you, actually I can as nothing changes with some of you complete hillmans. We win the league and yet one meaningless game creates hysterics like this. If you expect to only have to suffer 5 defeats in all competitions every season then you could be in for some upsetting weekends over the next few years.

It's a friendly for god sake, I could list so many examples of losses and horrific performances in friendlies and then the achievements that followed that season. I mean, look what happens in cup competitions when teams field a mixture of first team and fringe players. Mixed results at best during a proper season when players are fully fit. We showed it last season vs West Ham, Hull and Spurs. We were the good, the bad, the ugly. However this isn't even a competitive match, it's a bastard friendly with the sole purpose of getting players match fit and as a bonus a bit of exposure for the club.

We got a pasting but at the same time we had several guilt edge chances and showed we were playing at about 30% maximum output. Some of our squad players are mediocre at best and if we have to rotate more this season then we might not always be as efficient as we have come to expect. But it's a learning curve, Ranieri knows what he's doing and new players will settle in and improve. Look at Demarai Gray, he's about ready to go fcukin BANG. Incredible talent, Amartey looks to be improving with a little chaos around the edges and Chilwell is just the boy. He'll have Fuchs in all sorts of pressure this season.

Ranieri will find a solution for Kante's departure and it'll probably be 4-2-3-1 against a fair few teams as Kante was just a phenomenon and I don't think there's too many immediate replacements who can operate against 3 central midfielders and win the battle every time. Any fanny's desperate for this Gueye from Villa have you actually spent any time watching if he's any good? His stats show interceptions and tackles but do they show how effective he is at counter attacking football, pinching the ball in the right areas and more importantly are these stats gained from playing in a 4-4-2 or a 4-3-3 like almost every team plays? If it's the latter then why the fcuk do we need him? We can go 3 in the middle ourselves with Drinkwater an absolute class act at pretty much everything, Amartey being a powerhouse and Mendy is clearly so composed at retaining the ball. Gueye is just a poster boy to the salads who read stats on squawka or whatever it's called and get half a bar on.

Please bare in mind that last summer, Ranieri showed no inkling he was going to go 4-4-2 nor did we look particularly impressive in the friendlies either. Fuchs was abysmal, I can go and find the threads stating this if you want me to. I'm pretty sure other new signings were being questioned too. And what actual baring did any of this have on the season that followed? All it probably showed was our fans often get worked up for no reason. 

Start worrying if we still look the pits in 2 months time.

13 hours ago, inckley fox said:

The amount a club spends is often used as a barometer of ambition, isn't it? It doesn't paint a full picture, no, but it'd be strange for PL winners to make a profit on their summer dealings (it hasn't happened once this decade). Especially when it's a club which loses a key player and has a small, ageing squad. And especially in the context of unprecedented spending elsewhere.

It wasn't the barometer last season with us and Spurs up there, having not spent huge amounts (I think spurs have made a net profit over the last 5 years). I doubt that new trend will continue, but we've both been lauded for being well run and building teams rather than just chucking cash at it. We're not going to change our transfer policy just because we have a bit more cash.

It might be strange for prem winners to make a profit, but most prem winners have been bankrolled by billionaires, well above the comparatively small amount our owners have put in. They also aren't quite so hang stung with FFP. Payrises for all the players, 5 new players coming in, their wages, agent fees with so far only two players going.

I'm not sure the squad is that aging, sure there are a couple of positions, centre back being the most noticible and a group of strikers just turning 30. But I wouldn't say they were currently urgent to be made younger (I think we'll still get a younger CB) but I don't think there is any rush. We could field this team now, which would realistically be our youngest starting 11.

Zieler 27

Chilwell 19

Hernandez 27

Benalouane 29

Amartey 21

Kapustka 19

Drinkwater 26

Mendy 24

Gray 20

Musa 23

Vardy 29

Plus there's a scary correlation between making a profit in transfer dealings and enjoying very little success. Look at us in the 1980s.

Depends what Period you want to do it over, we've probably spent close to £90m since we got promoted, £10m last Jan, another what £35/36m this summer. We're only in profit because we've lost one player for a huge fee. We might happen to be in profit in this summer widow, but it's hardly the same as the 80's. If we lost Mahrez for £50m, would people expect is to then go out and spend another £50m?

If the money isn't spent to fill them (at a time when more players would like to join us than ever before), this may be flagged up as a missed opportunity.

How much does our position really mean to people, we've seen our best player jump ship to someone who finished 10th. We're still view as a one off sadly, I agree it's a good time to recruit. But we'll never really know how much or how little influence our current position had with transfers.

Personally, I don't think that will happen because I believe we will do the business we need to. And I know that spending is no guarantee of success. I'm just stating the obvious in saying that completing the jigsaw will - rightly - cost us.

I still think we'll get a couple more players also, they could cost £2m though. I'm more concerned with them being good than what they cost and us spending more than we get in.

On 31/07/2016 at 05:55, goose2010 said:

I think a few of you are over tired and should maybe turn off. Some of the comments are laughable! This PSG team ripped apart Real Madrid last week with half this team missing! It's took is a bit to get into the game but it's just about minutes and game time at the mintue! 2-0 flatters them and we have shown glimces of decent football. 

Don't see how some people can read so much from a friendly tournament. PSG won this last year.. Lead it again and take it very seriously.. Ranieri stated before the tournament that the team are not prepared and don't expect too much. His lineup was like a side you would be fielding at this stage versus a league one/two or championship side.

I have mixed feelings whether this tournament is going to benefit us this season with Barcelona next and then the Charity Shield versus United but time will tell.

6 minutes ago, who-izzet said:

I have mixed feelings whether this tournament is going to benefit us this season with Barcelona next and then the Charity Shield versus United but time will tell.

Was thinking the same, the last thing you want is a thumping each game. But on the flip side you can't be putting out your best team all the time as it's about getting everyone up to speed.

We've done it for commercial reasons haven't we. Hopefully we can keep it respectable on Wednesday whilst giving everyone game time, but getting a couple of tanking pre season isn't ideal. I'm sure if the fixture list was put together with football at the forefront of the mind instead of business it would have looked a little different. 

12 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Was thinking the same, the last thing you want is a thumping each game. But on the flip side you can't be putting out your best team all the time as it's about getting everyone up to speed.

Yeah totally mate. 2 massive teams pre-season before United final and then the Prem kicks off doesn't seem the best preparation to me but I understand what the means for US based investment.

Look at someone like Musa.. Plays Oxford, looks decent.. Celtic.. ok.. PSG, not too good. Surely a pre-season fixture list like last seasons would give him chance to settle in. Lincoln, Mansfield, Burton, Rotherham & Birmingham.. A steady progression to next levels giving the new players a chance of adapting with the team and winning with the team. Also the traveling and the amount of PR the players are having to do isn't the same as just heads down and training and playing more local sides. Does worry me but it's a cracking group of players & coaches.

Archived