Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Drygon

Do you actually think it's fair to compare Nampalys Mendy with N’Golo Kanté?

This topic is interesting, most in agreement that it's not fair to compare Mendy to Kante, so why are they trying to use him in the same way? 

However for for me the jury is very much still out with this kid, he's definitely not what we need if we want to continue playing this way. 

Really unfair. 

NG is a freak. He could not only break up play and hassle to win the ball back but he could also drive thirty yards with it. It's a shame that he will now be lectured not to do that driving role at the bigger clubs. 

Like ive said elsewhere Mendy has played 50 minutes of competitive English football. He didn't give the ball away cheap. He didn't mess about and give the opposition time to make a goal making ball. He was average and that's pretty decent for a lad whose got to learn about a different type of football (from French pace to English pace). 

Patience. Along with all the new signings 

No not at all. Kante is a unique player that comes around once in a blue moon for us. It was just credit to our scouts to have found him and to have had his services for a year. We couldn't have done much more than win the league in his first year to convince him to stay.

To fill his shoes is impossible, so to expect Mendy to be the same is very unfair.

Give the bloke a chance for God's sake. He looked good in the community shield, and he didn't do much wrong yesterday.

It will always take foreign players a while to bed in anyway- Kante didn't look like a world beater until at least October last season. 

14 hours ago, FoxonMaui said:

Kante had the quickness to make interceptions and steal possession and transition our game from defense to attack. Mandy has yet to show anything like that ability.  I have yet to see what exactly Mendy adds to our team.

This quick transition thing is what this team are currently missing. Kante was lauded, quite rightly, for his tackling...but it was his ability to win the ball and burst forward so quickly that enabled us to play how we did.

He's missed big time. Whether it will be  a huge miss, remains to be seen. I've not seen much of Mendy but so far, he's not in the same league as Kante.

What's fair go to do with it! You can compare anything with anything; a jumbo jet to a macaroon, for instance. But what does it tell you?

It's the purpose of the comparison that I feel you need to be sure of.

Kante has gone. To me, it's pointless comparing Mendy with Kante - because we don't have the option of playing Kante anymore. The comparison tells us little of use. Compare Mendy to King, or to Amartey, or Matty James. or to Drinkwater even. From those comparisons, you might be able to glean something useful about team shape, or how to better structure the midfield, or any number of other things. A Mendy v Kante comparison tells you little.

Kante is a phenomenal player, Mendy isn't the same. I think he'll be fine but I wouldn't be surprised if we switch to three in the middle at some point to compensate for not having Kante because Drinkwater will probably get through even more work.

Am I right in saying Kante wasn't looking like the player he turned out to be for most of last season this time last year? He was playing down the flanks if I remember. Give Mendy time to adjust and he'll find his dojo very soon.

57 minutes ago, MShaffu42 said:

Am I right in saying Kante wasn't looking like the player he turned out to be for most of last season this time last year? He was playing down the flanks if I remember. Give Mendy time to adjust and he'll find his dojo very soon.

Excellent point - looks like we could have a fair old wait to find out though. 

Needed cover there before the injury.

3 minutes ago, Harry - LCFC said:

We all know there's a gap to be filled if we're going to continue to play as we did last season, so it's quite natural to wonder if our new signings has attributes that would allow them to fill the role Kante played.

polycell_expanding_foam_polyfilla.jpg

3 hours ago, foxes21 said:

they are two different type of players with different play styles, stupid to compare them.

They are also both central midfielders, have played/are playing for City, who have/are playing in a 4-4-2 system, so yes, it's important to be comparing them.

For me, our season will be shaped by whether or not we sort our midfield out. Drinkwater looks like a one man band out there, Albrighton looks a yard off the pace (although better yesterday) and Mahrez is running into blind alleys. 

King is good, but not great, James looks like he'll never get fully fit again, Kaputska might be good but he's probably been bought with the future in mind and Mendy is now out injured.

It needs sorting. Another top notch, strong midfielder who can keep the ball and pass it well could make or break the season IMO.

Ferrari and Maserati are two desent sports car manufacturers in Italy 

but a Maserati will never ever ever be as good as a Ferrari ! 

So we never compare them ! It is pointless

will a Maserati do a decent job for me on the M1 ? yes !

Would I prefer a Ferrari , hell yea ! 

19 hours ago, Col city fan said:

They are also both central midfielders, have played/are playing for City, who have/are playing in a 4-4-2 system, so yes, it's important to be comparing them.

For me, our season will be shaped by whether or not we sort our midfield out. Drinkwater looks like a one man band out there, Albrighton looks a yard off the pace (although better yesterday) and Mahrez is running into blind alleys. 

King is good, but not great, James looks like he'll never get fully fit again, Kaputska might be good but he's probably been bought with the future in mind and Mendy is now out injured.

It needs sorting. Another top notch, strong midfielder who can keep the ball and pass it well could make or break the season IMO.

Two things Col ...    you've not mentioned Amartey and I think he could be the answer to our problem (fast, mobile, good in the tackle and a box to box player) ...   and I think James will get fit and push Amartey for that position (part of the Cambo James partnership that kept DD out).     Mendy will certainly improve imo and give us different options ...   lets keep that glass half full mate.  :thumbup:

For arguments sake, Mendy had a 100% pass rate & made 2 tackles & 2 interceptions vs Arsenal. If he played the full 90, I think he could have got 5 tackles/interceptions, which wouldn't have been bad going considering Kante made around 7 tackles/interceptions a game last season.

No comparison, we were after Mendy while Kante was here & listening to Ranieri he seems surprised Kante has left, so Mendy was bought to compliment & strengthen Drinky/Kante/King not replace or shadow any of them

Also, how is he?

He could've gone down the LRI and got a quicker diagnosis

3 hours ago, Countryfox said:

Two things Col ...    you've not mentioned Amartey and I think he could be the answer to our problem (fast, mobile, good in the tackle and a box to box player) ...   and I think James will get fit and push Amartey for that position (part of the Cambo James partnership that kept DD out).     Mendy will certainly improve imo and give us different options ...   lets keep that glass half full mate.  :thumbup:

I'm surprised we haven't played Amartey more mate? Wasn't he bought as a big, strong CM or CB? Ie can play both? I think if he WAS going to be the obvious answer, wouldn't Ranieri have stuck him in? As in, played him alongside Drinkwater in the middle right from the get-go? The Amartey transfer perplexes me somewhat as he also seems to be on the fringes.

I still believe we need to sign a CM, as a first team starter, clearly superior to what we have already and one that appears as one of the first names on the team sheet. Like Kante and Drinky were last season. We knew that, if available, they'd play.

We might get there but it still seems that second midfielder spot is up for grabs. As Champions, going into Europe now, I don't think it should be. Amartey, King, Mendy, James.  All seem much of a muchness. The last time I said that about our CM's, we looked to be a relegation side with only 7 games to go.

You can compare any two players in the world. Whether it is fair or not doesn't really matter. Kante is one of the best ball winning midfielders I have ever seen. Anyone hoping for Mendy to be the same is both deluded and unrealistic. Imagine comparing Vardy with Ibrahimovic - both different players.

On the limited time that I have seen Mendy he looks a better passer of the ball then Kante and rather than pinch the ball off players he chooses to play more zonally and deny space in the most dangerous areas of the pitch.

47 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I'm surprised we haven't played Amartey more mate? Wasn't he bought as a big, strong CM or CB? Ie can play both? I think if he WAS going to be the obvious answer, wouldn't Ranieri have stuck him in? As in, played him alongside Drinkwater in the middle right from the get-go? The Amartey transfer perplexes me somewhat as he also seems to be on the fringes.

I still believe we need to sign a CM, as a first team starter, clearly superior to what we have already and one that appears as one of the first names on the team sheet. Like Kante and Drinky were last season. We knew that, if available, they'd play.

We might get there but it still seems that second midfielder spot is up for grabs. As Champions, going into Europe now, I don't think it should be. Amartey, King, Mendy, James.  All seem much of a muchness. The last time I said that about our CM's, we looked to be a relegation side with only 7 games to go.

Yep thats how I see it too.  The guy is athletic, can do box to box and at 6ft has a bit more height than some of the others ...    why isn't he playing ??   Attitude, face doesn't fit, not good enough, needs more work ...   ??   Who knows.  CR seems to favour King or Mendy so maybe his time will come at a later date or during non league games.  Any ITK's out there please advise ...

Archived