Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

The Many Smiles of Shinji Okazaki

Before last season, some one rubbed the pot, and the genie Shinji popped out in a wisp of smoke.....

This thread is not only one of the top threads of all times...

It should be shown to be theraputic , doubters , the unconvinced, the whingers, would be well advised

to flip th this thread every 2nd weekend.

I reckon Leicester should present/donate  it for a good cause...to the NHS..:)

Make and new phrase and saying...' I could do with a good dose of Shinji right now'..

or make up a competition of 1st to come up with cockney rhyming slang..

.for a smile/depression antidote, using our very own Japanese smiley....:cool:

Edited by fuchsntf

5 hours ago, Ebok said:

Taken from the old Okazaki thread. Thanks Kushiro..

You're very welcome.

54 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

i just love the way he always wants to bring his team mates into the celebrations after he scores a goal and is never the look at me i've scored a goal type player.

I'm fascinated by how Shinji has spent five years in the West trying to integrate his natural Japanese modesty with the selfishness that everyone says is necessary for a successful goalscorer. He's spoken a lot about the key turning point last season being when he started to assert himself more - going for goal rather than looking for Vardy or Mahrez every time, telling his teammates where he wants the ball, answering back if someone has a go at him. Sometimes he goes too far - he was dropped by both club and country in the space of a few days last month when he became too blinkered (remember that 30 yard shot at Anfield with Mahrez screaming for a pass?)  - but he seemed to have the balance just right on Saturday.   

His goal celebrations capture in microcosm that tension between selfishness and selflessness. There''s a bit in Jonathan Northcroft's book 'Fearless' about it. Talking about the overhead kick in the Newcastle game, he says:

'The Japanese ran for the corner flag - backwards for some reason - with a grin as big as Tokyo'.

I think he was running backwards because his modest Japanese nature was telling him to acknowledge his teammates, while his relief at finally scoring at home was telling him to race off and bask in the glory. We saw it again on Saturday - brushing off Slimani's 'embrace invitation' but displaying a smille so generous that the whole ground knows he's sharing his joy with all of us.

Bring us okazaki, with a smile

Bring us laughter, all the while.

Bring us Shinjishine  in your eyes

Bring us goals under the skies

make us happy through the years

Never bring us any  tears

Bring us fun bring us that Shinjishine,

Bring us goals with that smile of no fears

Lets drink with Shinji ....pour out the Saki

Hes really ours, the one and only..... Okazaki....

Bring us fun, bring us sunshine bring us smiles...

Idea from...Bring us Sunshine (morcambe +wise)