Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
OllieLodge96

Marc Albrighton

Guest CityFan 06

The substitutions changed the game. Albrighton pivotal to that, delivered the two goals for Slimani and Vardy.

Slimani was very good when he came on I thought.

3 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Deserves an England call-up but like many others, he won't get the recognition

That's the problem

He's not a luxury player or a household name, nor has he ever played for a "top 6 club".

Works hard, good delivery, and is a passionate a footballer as I've seen. Would work his bollocks off for England.

3 hours ago, foxile5 said:

He's one that clearly suffered under Ranieri's direction.

No doubt Shakey tells him simply : run at them, get the ball into dangerous areas.

That's what he's good at. The carbon copy of Steve Guppy. 

Whoa  there fella....!!

Steve Guppy, and Albrighton are 2 totally different players....no comparisons  on good or bad..

Albrighton's been a revelation at times recently. His energy, enthusiasm and effectiveness add up to a man who's thoroughly enjoying his football and determined to keep improving for as long as his legs will let him.    

Marc Albrighton ready to battle Demarai Gray for place in Leicester City starting line-up

Marc Albrighton says he is ready to battle Demarai Gray for a place in the Leicester City starting line-up.

Albrighton came off the bench to inspire Leicester to a 2-0 victory over Sunderland, the champions' fifth consecutive win under Craig Shakespeare.

It took the winger just seven minutes to pick out fellow substitute Islam Slimani for City's opening goal before setting up Jamie Vardy for the second.

Albrighton had been made to settle for a place on the bench against Sunderland after missing out on the victory against Stoke with a 24-hour bug.

Demarai Gray had taken his place at late notice and performed so well that Shakespeare had no choice but to stick with the youngster against the Black Cats.

"I didn't blame the manager for sticking with Dimi because he played so well at the weekend and thoroughly deserved to keep his place," said Albrighton, who was voted man of the match in a poll of more than 3,000 City fans on the Mercury website.

"He has waited patiently for a long time to get in and took his chance at the weekend so thoroughly deserved to be playing.

"It was just a bit frustrating on my part. But I will always be ready when called upon and I proved that."

The form of Albrighton and Gray has given Shakespeare a bit of a selection problem heading into the Premier League game against Everton on Sunday.

Does he go with Albrighton or Gray, or does he play them both and leave out PFA player of the year Riyad Mahrez, especially with a Champions League quarter-final first leg three days later? "That is the headache he needs rather than people sulking if they are out of the team," said Albrighton.

"He wants people raring to go and he has two lads who are fighting as hard as they can for their place and will continue to do that. That is healthy for the team.

"Dimi is a great lad and brilliant around the place. He has waited long for his chance and he has taken it.

"He is going to make it hard for me and I am going to try to make it hard for him and that competition is what makes a good squad."

Albrighton has been one of the most rejuvenated players in the renaissance under Shakespeare, bagging a goal and four assists in the six games since the change in manager.

Albrighton inspired by 'lies' following Ranieri sacking

The winger said much of his up-turn in form was down to the criticism he received in the aftermath of Claudio Ranieri's sacking, where Albrighton was named in some media reports as being one of the players responsible for the Italian's demise.

"When you see things and lies written about you like that it is not nice," said Albrighton.

"It does boil you up inside and that definitely was inside me when I came to play in that game (against Liverpool). From there we have a good performance and a good result and we have kicked on.

"Well the flu stopped me at the weekend but I have been enjoying a few assists and a goal since then. It is always good for confidence."

Albrighton said he was not worried about what would be said when Ranieri speaks for the first time about his sacking when he is a pundit on Monday Night Football on Sky Sports next week.

"We feel that has been and gone and whatever comes out, he is a very dignified character and I am sure whatever he says will be dignified in a great manner," he said.

9 hours ago, The_77 said:

Where's everyone who wanted to drop Albrighton? :P

I wanted him dropped earlier in the season. He was rushing everything and got into a habit of hoofing without even looking. I saw him and Drinkwater as systemic to our failure to get the proper service to Vardy. You could argue that everyone needed dropping from that slump though! 

Since then, he has been our best player IMO and is so important to how we play. Can't wait to see him start against Atletico on Weds night. Villa fans must be sick! lol

Remember the pundits who rode those Albrighton rumors of him being behind Ranieri's sacking. They accused Albrighton of being ungrateful and not a good footballer. Now he's scored in the champions league knockout round and delivering plenty of assists.

18 hours ago, The_77 said:

He was crap until Shakey took over. Constantly trying blind/one touch passes that never found their target and crossing either to the opponent or to row Z (note that I didn't criticize his work rate). No wonder a lot wanted him on the bench.

He has incredibly improved since then.

17 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Even this doesn't do it justice! He made challenges, ran past people, went for some audacious backheel and flick passes and had a decent shot on goal. It was like he had 10 red bulls prior to coming on.

Interestingly, I haven't seen MattCan creaming himself over that piece of skill. Surely that's what "people pay good money to watch football for"...

Interestingly the first post in this thread was pointing out all of Albrighton's failings and flaws...which most would have agreed with up to Ranieri's sacking.

IMO he is a model professional as he has simply made the very very best of his ability, and made himself a key part of a successful team, based on hard work and doing all the "dirty" work well. His distribution is sometimes poor, but when he is on the top of his game there is no better crosser of a ball in the league.

One thing that has been completely over-looked about Albrighton is the transformation in Fuchs game when he came on the other night...Fuchs hardly got forward at all whilst Gray was on, but became a further attacking option when he went off, as he trusts that Albrighton will drop in and cover if he goes forward...it has been fundamental since Liverpool when our form returned.

Gray and Mahrez shouldn't play in the same side IMO and Albrighton should start, on current form, ahead of them both...he is unselfish, distributes the ball better and quicker, works harder, creates more and gives others the freedom to play that neither Gray or Mahrez does, other teams also under rate him, giving him the space others don't get...I'm a big fan of Gray but he is nowhere near the team player he needs to be, and for all his flashes of brilliance rarely picks the right/early ball...Mahrez, although much much better than Gray, is the same.

Albrighton would not be picked for the vast majority of Premier League teams based on ability alone, and there style of play...but he suits our style of play and often sets the tempo going forward, his work ethic is second to none and he must be one of the hardest working players in the league, and on current form he should start every game.

Whether he should play for England is another thing entirely...but if he was picked he would look awful, as international football is largely a possession based game played at a much slower pace, it wouldn't suit him at all...which is also why it doesn't suit Vardy who is isolated every time he plays for England!

17 hours ago, The_77 said:

Enjoying a slice of humble pie here ;):ph34r:. I'm baffled as to the turnaround. I can only assume from watching Albrighton earlier this season that Ranieri was making him stay back, as he basically played as a second left back prior to CR getting chopped. Now he looks like our best creator, he's clearly a good player when allowed to do his thing.

I started this thread to question Albrighton's place in the team. He was poor this season under Ranieri. But he has been our best player since Shakey took charge and he completely changed the game on Tuesday. Massive credit to the guy and hopefully it can continue.

• 3 weeks later...
49 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Really inane thing, but Marc has now made more appearances for us (102) than he has for Aston Villa (101.) If nothing else it goes to show how undervalued and underused he was there!

And to think he's only been here less than three seasons, and has virtually only been playing regularly in two of them, is quite remarkable. Model pro. A shame he doesn't score more, because I really like his celebrations!

Albrighton is just a tremendous player in our system. Never seen anyone work so hard going forward and covering his full back. He also has that little bit of quality which means his hard work isn't overlooked. The man SHOULD get an England call up, but he's not a fashionable name nor does he play for a "top 6 club" so its a shame really.

4 minutes ago, M0901 said:

Albrighton is just a tremendous player in our system. Never seen anyone work so hard going forward and covering his full back. He also has that little bit of quality which means his hard work isn't overlooked. The man SHOULD get an England call up, but he's not a fashionable name nor does he play for a "top 6 club" so its a shame really.

Surely the "top 6 club" bias is turning into a myth by now. Drinkwater and Vardy both get call-ups. Heaton, Pickford, Livermore, Butland, Forster, Defoe, Bertrand, Keane, Ward-Prowse, Barkley and Redmond have all been called up this year.

But he does fit into our system very well, even if it means playing him on his weaker flank. I do think there's a marked difference when he plays on the right where he has more options than just cutting inside and launch in-swinging crosses.

Archived