Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TiffToff88

Groom Speech

Ok, so i'm getting married on saturday and realised i haven't even begun thinking about writing my speech!

Can anyone give me some advice on what i should and shouldnt say? I do know that the Father of the Bride and Best Man speeches are the big ones, so the pressure is off me a little bit, but that doesn't mean i should be able to just blag it, does it? Also, public speaking terrifies me! (Probably why i haven't even thought about writing the speech yet)

First off congrats!

You're right you have it easy just thank everyone for coming, introduce the bride with her new surname (should get a ripple of appluse) tell the bride and bridesmaid how stunning they look thank all parents and if anyone like an antie or grandma has helped out doing something Tell everyone to enjoy there afternoon / evening and then put as much pressure on the best man as you deem fit to put him off his stride.

If you think you are going to quick just chuck a few toasts in there.

It's always nice to raise a glass for people that couldnt be there to.

Should last about 5 / 10 minutes

Congratulations. I'm getting married in April and haven't prepared anything yet. Having had the terrifying experience of being best man, I am not too worried about the groom speech. Put it this way you don't have to be funny, tell silly stories or try to embarrass anyone, in a way that isn't too rude but is also humourous.

I think I am just going to do as others has stated and thank family members, talk about the bridesmaids and tell everyone to enjoy themselves. Plus I'll mention how beautiful my wife is (I am just assuming she will be) and most of all, I am going to give my best men (have more than one) a few digs before they rip into me.

Hope you enjoy your day!

3 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Should i try to memorise what i'm going to say? or would it be acceptable to read straight from a piece of paper?

If having the paper makes you more comfortable then go for it. I find in these sitations that the "crowd" are pretty forgiving. No one wants to be up there and they'll tend to laugh along with you.

My advice would be to write it down, or type it out. 

Go through the thank you's - anyone who helped you prepare for the day, as well as the bridesmaids etc (I think you're meant to toast them).

Chuck a few jokes in if you want and round off with some sage advice about a happy marriage.

I ended by saying that my best man had a strange condtion which caused him to tell lies about people (he was up next!)

Most important advice (and I've done five best man speeches as well as a groom speech and one or two other family funerals and christenings) is to TAKE YOUR TIME. There can be a tendancy to rush as your brain just wants to get to the end so you can sit down and it be all over! But it will sound better if you take your time. Take pauses (have a drink of water) - even add prompts in your speech to slow the pace down. There's no rush, and everyone (including you) will enjoy it more.

21 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Should i try to memorise what i'm going to say? or would it be acceptable to read straight from a piece of paper?

You could look a bit of a lemon if you've got your head down reading from a script - and if you're talking to the paper it might be difficult to hear you!

I used a small 'Cue card' with bullet points on there to remind me who to thank - and then just ad libbed the rest.

If you can memorize it all in advance then that's pretty impressive, but I imagine the guests would expect you to have a few notes as a reminder though.

The good news is that (and with all due respect), no one really gives a toss about your speech. You're just the warm up for the main event! lol

Just relax, enjoy and savor the moment mate. My weeding day was one of the best and emotional days of my life, but still didn't come close to us winning the PL lol

1 minute ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

You could look a bit of a lemon if you've got your head down reading from a script - and if you're talking to the paper it might be difficult to hear you!

I used a small 'Que card' with bullet points on there to remind me who to thank - and then just ad libbed the rest.

If you can memorize it all in advance then that's pretty impressive, but I imagine the guests would expect you to have a few notes as a reminder though.

The good news is that (and with all due respect), no one really gives a toss about your speech. You're just the warm up for the main event! lol

Just relax, enjoy and savor the moment mate. My weeding day was one of the best and emotional days of my life, but still didn't come close to us winning the PL lol

I had considered slipping that into the speech somewhere. I know theres no pressure on me to be funny, but my mrs is from Sheffield and moved down here to live with me around the same time we signed Vardy. I was thinking about talking about how this amazing person from Sheffield came down to leicester and changed my life for the better, throwing in some ambiguous comments about this person, before toasting... Jamie Vardy.

I think (hope) she will see the funny side as she has been converted to a leicester fan over the years!

6 minutes ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I used a small 'Que card' with bullet points on there to remind me who to thank - and then just ad libbed the rest.

If you're getting married in Spanish I'm not surprised you had to learn your lines.

2 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I had considered slipping that into the speech somewhere. I know theres no pressure on me to be funny, but my mrs is from Sheffield and moved down here to live with me around the same time we signed Vardy. I was thinking about talking about how this amazing person from Sheffield came down to leicester and changed my life for the better, throwing in some ambiguous comments about this person, before toasting... Jamie Vardy.

I think (hope) she will see the funny side as she has been converted to a leicester fan over the years!

That's pretty good actually, as long as you think she'll see the funny side!

5 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

That's pretty good actually, as long as you think she'll see the funny side!

As long as she doesn't get offended, and at least 1 person in the room laughs, i'll consider it a successful joke!

12 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

Yep, something like that should go down well as long as you build it up nicely. Couple of laughs (but not a stand up comedy routine, that's a mistake a lot of best men make imo), interspersed with sincerity is a winning formula. 10 minutes absolute max. Have been to plenty of weddings where Groom and Father of Bride speeches ramble on and the room is lost before the best man has had his go.

54 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

I did mine off the top of my head and thanked everyone successfully... except my wife! :blush::whistle:

Hope you have a great day!

46 minutes ago, TiffToff88 said:

First of all, congrats!

I'll be doing my groom speech later this year too. I was going to slip something in about Leicester winning the league too but I think your comment above is sounds great.

Good luck!

8 minutes ago, Nalis said:

First of all, congrats!

I'll be doing my groom speech later this year too. I was going to slip something in about Leicester winning the league too but I think your comment above is sounds great.

Good luck!

Thanks, and good luck to you too when the time comes. My turn to give you some advice: Get as much done to prepare yourself as you can now. i'm 4 days away and feel like i've got nothing ready!

2 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Ok, so i'm getting married n saturday and realised i haven't even begun thinking about writing my speech!

Can anyone give me some advice on what i should and shouldnt say? I do know that the Father of the Bride and Best Man speeches are the big ones, so the pressure is off me a little bit, but that doesn't mean i should be able to just blag it, does it? Also, public speaking terrifies me! (Probably why i haven't even thought about writing the speech yet)

Dont write a speach...!!!

Think up/create  one liners,   around what you feel are relevant  from your relationships, family, wifes family ,friends. 

Humerous, heart felt.and caring.  Its amazing what you can relate to when looking for the right words.

Then build a short speach in your mind, around them. Make the notes in your head, write somethings down before hand, but

throw them away before. Trust yourself..

Oh pick out a couple of stories and make a joke out of it....eg:

When i realised  xxxx was the right girl and she said yes. I went nervously  to her parents , to ask for her hand,

Her father  stood up towering over me, and asked ....WHY what the hell is wrong with the rest of her..

Nervous but not scared...trust yourself, you wont go blank...!!

3 hours ago, TiffToff88 said:

Ok, so i'm getting married on saturday and realised i haven't even begun thinking about writing my speech!

I hate public speaking and had to do a best-man speech in front of 400-450 people for my brother's wedding. Had a quick pint before and managed to make some people laugh and got a few cheers at some comments towards the groom. I'd have something prepared but I wouldn't just blag all of it! Presumably always start off with complimenting your new wife as well as welcoming her in to your family!

8 minutes ago, Strokes said:

A few jokes, make sure you thank everyone and also try to discredit the best man before he gets to hammer you.

The best man speech is before the groom's isn't it? So the best man would have already hammered him!

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

The best man speech is before the groom's isn't it? So the best man would have already hammered him!

I dont think there are set rules on the order, but traditionally speaking, i'm led to believe that it goes:

1. Father of the Bride
  2. Groom
  3. Best Man

14 minutes ago, Strokes said:

A few jokes, make sure you thank everyone and also try to discredit the best man before he gets to hammer you.

I won't be having a best man at my wedding next year. Does that mean I have to spend time hammering myself before I do the nicey nicey stuff? :D

Anyone who doesn't claw some title winning reference into their speech over the next couple of years is mad. Open goal!

Archived