Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Films That Terrified You

14 hours ago, bovril said:

I remember being disturbed by this when I was like 5.

Haha well I feel a bit better now, knowing I wasn't the only one! Though watching it again now, that tune is pretty good and catchy.

I remember 2 films really scaring me as a kid, one was birds which has already been mentioned, the other was the lady in white. I've seen it since and it's not that scary but it's funny how those feelings of being scared are still there. Found it on YouTube if anyone wants too watch.

The first Horror film I went to see - probably around 15 years old, was Horrors of the Black Museum, there were 2 things in that which freaked me out for ages, a pair of binoculars with spikes that penetrated the eyeballs, and a small guillotine which was attached to a bed head to take a woman's head off. I checked the headboard every night for a long time and had difficulty getting to sleep because of it. If I saw it now I'd probably wouldn't bat an eyelid, but at that age it seemed very real.

I remember watching the original war of the worlds. At night. In the dark  and on my own as a ten year old... that scene when he tried to destroy the Hoover head alien in the basement had me scared me for quite some time...

Ghostwatch, aired on the BBC in the early 90s as a Halloween one-off, with Michael Parkinson and Sarah Greene. I remember watching the original broadcast as a kid (maybe 9 or 10 years old) and being absolutely terrified. I think the Beeb had to put out a statement a couple of hours after it had finished to reassure people it wasn't real. I watched it again fairly recently and it still gave me chills - one of the best Halloween night productions there's been.

On 3 February 2017 at 13:27, FoxesDeb said:

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Duel really freaked me out when I was a child. And more recently, Hostel. 

I agree with hostel. The first time I seen that I had to keep looking away.

Insisted on sneaking peaks in the living room once when my older sister was babysitting and she had a couple of friends over to watch Dog Soldiers and one of the American Werewolf movies (whichever one takes place on a subway/metro/underground train network).  Didn't sleep for weeks.  Watched them again when I was older and couldn't figure out what I found so scary :unsure:

Blair Witch Project too that had me freaked out for ages when I watched it in my early teens.  Was watching it on my own in the dark when I had the house to myself one night.  When they got to the tent jumpscare I had to switch it off and watch something gentle before going to sleep with all the lights on lol  Took me a couple of years to get the balls together to finish watching it which by which point it was again obviously far less troubling than my younger self had hyped it up to be.

Basically those age restrictions might have something about them :D

15 hours ago, Karljohn said:

Texas chainsaw massacre

Jacobs ladder 

Wickerman

All scared the shite out of me as a kid.

Jacobs Ladder is a good shout. Although  not a 'true' film its based on medical testing within the armed forces.

Very bleak ending as well.

On 04/02/2017 at 19:31, foxinexile said:

Ghostwatch, aired on the BBC in the early 90s as a Halloween one-off, with Michael Parkinson and Sarah Greene. I remember watching the original broadcast as a kid (maybe 9 or 10 years old) and being absolutely terrified. I think the Beeb had to put out a statement a couple of hours after it had finished to reassure people it wasn't real. I watched it again fairly recently and it still gave me chills - one of the best Halloween night productions there's been.

I remember staying up to watch that then falling asleep when it started(being a kid at the time),

I'm sure a viewer of this committed suicide due to being scared shitless from it

Archived