Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HankMarvin

Mahrez

On 4/18/2017 at 21:42, Mickyblueeyes said:

So we play King or Amartey instead? They had a 1-0 lead to protect and Griezman up front for god sake who creates his own chances. Sorry, but that comparison doesn't make sense.

Playing more forwards doesn't suddenly mean you will create more chances.

In their home leg Atleti played with 3 central midfielders, and in their away leg they played with 3 central midfielders and a center half in there.

Mahrez didn't get a kick in the first leg, and didn't close the cross which led to their away goal.

You cannot carry players at this level, Atleti didn't, we did, that's why we were ultimately, convincingly knocked out.

On 4/18/2017 at 23:09, themightyfin said:

Has anyone ever thought maybe the reason he looks greedy sometimes is because that's what he's been told to do by the management?

With creative players like him that take on the extra player or go for the quick flick sometimes it don't pay off but that's to be expected?

When he turns 2-3 players inside out and creates or scores a wonder goal do people post here saying oh but he was greedy there? No! 

Thid season was always going to be harder for him as teams have realised what a class player he is and has nowhere near the space he had last season. 

When he had gone and is playing for a bigger club full of class players with more space as teams have 11 class players to worry about you will see why we are going to miss one of the very best players I've ever seen in a city shirt. 

And the lazy not interested argument always goes with flair players like him. 

Enjoy watching him as this may well be the last few games we will see a player like him here for a very long time. 

Against probably the best defensive team in the world in Atletico Madrid you sometimes need a player that can break the lines and temporarily disrupt their defensive unit to create openings.

You can pick a lot of faults in Mahrez's make up, he's not a great athlete or great defensively but he can do things literally only a handful of players in the world can do. On his day one of the greatest players in the world.

On Wednesday, April 19, 2017 at 00:30, Stevosevic said:

I'd let Gray play the last 6 games on the right.

All parties know that Riyad's time with us is ending this summer and we need to get Gray in the groove.

You go to the wrong parties...Like others presumption parties..

I'd love to see Riyad finish the season in that central position after his display in the second half against Atletico. He just doesn't have enough pace to escape from the defenders that swarm around him, even if he successfully dribbles them. 

This would also allow Gray to get some game time on the right, incase Mahrez leaves in the summer. 

How one of our only Balloon d'Or nominees and fan voted player of the year draws so much criticism is beyond me. If you compare him to Vardy it's incredible. I guess we've seen him play at the very highest level and expect this constantly, i.e. a few will be happy with nothing less than Messi.

9 minutes ago, Redouane said:

I'd love to see Riyad finish the season in that central position after his display in the second half against Atletico. He just doesn't have enough pace to escape from the defenders that swarm around him, even if he successfully dribbles them. 

This would also allow Gray to get some game time on the right, incase Mahrez leaves in the summer. 

I wouldn't mind this mainly because Drinky doesn't look to be returning to his previous form any time soon.

Hes being asked to do..TOO many defensive duties, hes not a work horse, hes not a Ronaldo, Ronaldo has lungs

to run all game and a better physic. Messi another of those unique wonders.

Then he wouldnt be upto a Gullit type of game, but a simular role perhaps.

This would allow for both Gray and Albrighton also to play.

I want Mahrez to stay, and he is grossly underrated on this forum, and this season not been given his

right role...

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Hes being asked to do..TOO many defensive duties, hes not a work horse, hes not a Ronaldo, Ronaldo has lungs

I want Mahrez to stay, and he is grossly underrated on this forum, and this season not been given his

right role...

Reckon he doesn't have he lungs for Drinky's role? I'd love us to risk him the role and prove me wrong though. An effective central midfield of a defensive Ndidi and a attacking, creative Mahrez would make my mouth water.

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

right role...

Ronaldo doesn't defend but I get your point and agree with you.

I also don't now what's wrong with some. I just read another pearl on this very page where one made him responsible for the goal and the defeat. Because Leicester can't afford to carry players like him.

2 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Reckon he doesn't have he lungs for Drinky's role? I'd love us to risk him the role and prove me wrong though. An effective central midfield of a defensive Ndidi and a attacking, creative Mahrez would make my mouth water.

Mahrez in CM - NO!!! He is not a great passer, tackler, not particularly physical and he does not have good positional sense. He could possibly work in the number 10 role without defensive responsibilites with 2 CMs behind him but playing him as an attacking centre midfielder in a 2 man midfield would be madness!

9 minutes ago, Arriba Los Zorros said:

Mahrez in CM - NO!!! He is not a great passer, tackler, not particularly physical and he does not have good positional sense. He could possibly work in the number 10 role without defensive responsibilites with 2 CMs behind him but playing him as an attacking centre midfielder in a 2 man midfield would be madness!

Non sense 

9 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Play central midfield ? ....     You are joking ?         Mind you he could be the cover we are looking for for Morgan and Huth. 

I actually think Mahrez works best when he has space and that's why he has often struggled in the number 10 role when tried their previously, as he is too easily crowded out by CB's and CM's. 

I do believe he is at his best on the right and when he can find space and time. 

However, because we play a flat 4-4-2, he is also asked to do a lot of defensive duties as a RW.  

This causes two issues. Firstly, although he has improved greatly in his defensive workrate, he still allows players to get past him too easily and doesn't press the ball as much as he should.

Secondly, having these defensive duties, means he is resticted from staying forward and many times he gets the ball, he is too deep to make a meaningful attack and is crowded out. 

To get the best out of Mahrez. We would need to consider a change in formation. However, Leicester are so reliant on Vardy and the direct 4-4-1-1 system, that it's hard to see a perfect system for Mahrez and Vardy, unless Mahrez plays in that no.10 role, which again, I don't think is his best position for us. 

Hopefully when we are safe (1 more win I suspect), we can try a different system or two. 

3 minutes ago, Vardinio'sCat said:

He isn't really loved here, which I find a bit sad.

Not true puss but unfortunately some of the rather silly remarks made by his 'followers' do tend to wind people up.

He was part of our legend team that did the impossible and stayed on when he could easily have gone elsewhere for big bucks ...   He has struggled a bit this season but then so have many ...   He still scares the opposition and pulls two opposition players over to him ...   this creates space for others.   He will never be a more physical player but can still improve as can some of the others.  Great asset and I hope he stays.

6 hours ago, Grewks said:

Playing more forwards doesn't suddenly mean you will create more chances.

In their home leg Atleti played with 3 central midfielders, and in their away leg they played with 3 central midfielders and a center half in there.

Mahrez didn't get a kick in the first leg, and didn't close the cross which led to their away goal.

You cannot carry players at this level, Atleti didn't, we did, that's why we were ultimately, convincingly knocked out.

So, you mean we would have beaten Atletico if we didn't carry Riyad. Shish, why didn't you run to the training ground and explain it to Shakey before the game?

On 4/19/2017 at 15:03, Crazy Kop Corner said:

Mahrez does something in nearly every game that gets me off of my seat. He is the most gifted player I have ever seen play for our great club and I will be disappointed to see him leave and I'll watch with interest the progress of his career and hope that he gets to the very top of the game.

He also does something every game that frustrates the hell out of me. For example losing the ball 3 times in the first 10minutes against Atletico. 

However, I take your point and it is a thing of beauty seeing him ballerina around defenders and I think he will only get better too. We just need to find a system that gets the best out of him, without sacrificing others. I wonder whether a front 3 would work with him on the right side. 2 holding CM's to cover RB and LB when attacked down that side, leaving Mahrez to stay further up. 

Archived